PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Stating out Rainbow weapons

poolio
2019-06-24, 12:30 AM
Greetings once again playgrounders, tl;dr at the bottom.

so as i was lurking around Deviantart, looking for things to inspire and get my creative juices flowing, i came across a rainbow scimitar, which one of my players ended up getting (it was also one of the few items i had ready for player use) the Deviantart page also had a bunch of other items, including a short bow with a rainbow light string, a magic tome with a rainbow cover, a handaxe with a rainbow crystal head, a greataxe with a silver blade and rainbow lights about it, a scepter with a cube floating in the middle of the head, and a great sword that looks like the blade is made of rainbow light,

the scimitar can once a day cast fairy fire without requiring concentration and can be used to "paint" symbols on any surface in any color that last for 24 hours,
the bow conjures magic arrows that deal a random damage type instead of piercing damage, the damage is based on which color the arrow that it generates is (eg red=fire, green=acid ect.)
and my players just got the tome, i wasn't ready for that so i said it had lore and legends about the other items and locations on where they may be found, i figure it could also have the color based spells in case a wizard wanted to copy them to their own spell book (so if anyone knows the spells that have to do with color a little list would be greatly appreciated lol) and now they seem like they're leaning towards going after some of those items,

so here i am once again asking my fellow playgrounders for help and assistance in coming up with ideas for the rest of the weapons, i would like them to have more minor type abilities, like the scimitar which has a once/day ability and something that's there mostly for flavor, and the bow just doesn't run out of ammo, and ideas to build upon the lore surrounding these items and locations or dungeons that could house these things would also be greatly appreciated (i got an idea for a lizard folk chieftain that wields one of the items and they encounter him in a raid on a town or after searching a cave/tomb near where the tribe lives)

so. TL;DR need ideas for what a bunch of pride weapons could do.

thanks in advance once again ladies and gentlemen for any help and ideas you have to offer.

DrKerosene
2019-06-24, 04:22 AM
So, you’d just want suggestions for the remaining four items?

* handaxe with a rainbow crystal head
* greataxe with a silver blade and rainbow lights about it
* sceptre with a cube floating in the middle of the head
* great sword that looks like the blade is made of rainbow light

I suppose any of them could use the spell Color Spray 1/day, and then lose their rainbow colors until it is recharged. Though it would be an increasingly weak ability against serious foes. Maybe upgrading to Hypnotic Pattern or something later on would be necessary.

If you want another Concentration spell that the item can hold Concentration for and buffs the team, then Bless is a good option that could stack with Faerie Fire. Colors could shoot out and highlight/tint the buffed allies in a color.

Absorb Elements works with the rainbow theme, and being usable 1/day should still feel handy. This spell seems more likely to reduce the deadliness ofa bad encounter, rather than swinging an encounter into “easy” territory just due dice rolls.

If you want more utility than combat, maybe the Alarm spell would be good? The sceptre cube could be used to trace the area, or maybe any of weapons could use up their colors to paint the area outline of the Alarm spell.

I feel that Chromatic Orb is too poor a spell to normally take, but it could add a novel ability to some PC as a 1/day spell.

Using up the rainbow colors to cast Disguise Self once a day, and making it kind of like a Sailor Moon transformation sequence, could be amusing.

How about Expeditious Retreat or Longstrider, but they leave a Nyan Cat trail behind them of a foot or more. Maybe add the Jump spell to one of those, but during the duration they also have disadvantage on vision based stealth checks? (Leaping Rainbows Batman!)

I see no reason a Fog Cloud spell can’t be colored however you want.

I can see Ray Of Sickness being an option, if you think one of your Players would get a kick out of having that effect on an NPC.

I recall 3.5e had an 8th or 9th level spell called Prismatic Bow, you could shoot an effect from the Prismatic Wall spell at a target. Some options were just elemental damage, others includes Banishment, Insanity, Petrification, and Insta-Death by Poison. If you wanted a super-high powered rainbow weapon to hint at.

Mjolnirbear
2019-06-24, 11:12 AM
Some ideas:

* the rainbows represent charges (probably 7)
* each charged used reduces the number of colours showing
* must recharge 1 hour in morning sunlight to get all colours back.

Then each weapon has a variant:

The Sword allows to to expend a charge to cast Absorb Elements, but you choose the colour (and damage) you add to your next attack. So you could cast it to absorb fire, but spend blue and get lightning damage on your next attack instead.

The Staff can cast (red: vampiric touch; orange: fireball; yellow: daylight; green: polymorph; blue: Lightning bolt; purple etc) once.

A tome functions as a focus for the spell caster that attune to it. You know the spell Chaos Bolt. When you cast the spell and the damage matches one of your remaining rainbow colours, you can spend the colour and make the Bolt chain as though you had rolled the same number on both d8s. When you take damage and the damage type matches one of your missing colours, you can take additional damage equal to your casting mod and regain the use of that colour.

Greatsword: when you hit with an attack, you can spend a colour to cause your attack to crit, and instead deal damage of the colour type you spent. You also become vulnerable to that colour as long as the colour remains spent