PDA

View Full Version : Magic weapon creation

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-06-24, 01:27 AM
There is a difference between "enhancement bonus" and "special qualities" on weapons, I know this quite obviously; however, can you have a +1 vorpal sword, given that a vorpal weapon is a +5 price modifier?

Your enhancement bonus is only +1, but your special ability is a +5 -- does that only apply to the price, or is the weapon now a cumulative +6? I've always played in my many years as +1 enhancement, and the special abilities bonus is sheerly for price. Just need some clarification due to a new junction in the party.

Missing
2019-06-24, 02:25 AM
The special qualities and enhancement bonuses are added together for the cost of adding further enchantments and the limit to total bonus ONLY (+10 of which no more than +5 can be enhancement pre-epic IIRC)

Special qualities don't enhance the weapons ability to hit targets or improve its (flat) damage bonus.

So your example of a +1 Vorpal sword would be treated as a +1 sword in combat that has the Vorpal quality and would cost 72K gp to buy and require a further 26k to upgrade to a +2 Vorpal sword (or add a +1 equivalent special quality)

Khedrac
2019-06-24, 03:24 AM
To add to what Missing wrote (which is all correct), the "+1 vorpal" weapon is priced as a +6 weapon (1+5 = 6) because that is the main way in which the notional "+x" values for weapon (and armor) enchantments work.

And don't worry about admitting to finding this confusing, it's a pretty regular question because most people seem to find it confusing...

ByOdin'sBeard
2019-06-24, 06:44 AM
The special qualities and enhancement bonuses are added together for the cost of adding further enchantments and the limit to total bonus ONLY (+10 of which no more than +5 can be enhancement pre-epic IIRC)

Special qualities don't enhance the weapons ability to hit targets or improve its (flat) damage bonus.

So your example of a +1 Vorpal sword would be treated as a +1 sword in combat that has the Vorpal quality and would cost 72K gp to buy and require a further 26k to upgrade to a +2 Vorpal sword (or add a +1 equivalent special quality)

Amazing, thisnis what I have always done, thank you for clarifying that!

To add to what Missing wrote (which is all correct), the "+1 vorpal" weapon is priced as a +6 weapon (1+5 = 6) because that is the main way in which the notional "+x" values for weapon (and armor) enchantments work.

And don't worry about admitting to finding this confusing, it's a pretty regular question because most people seem to find it confusing...

It is quite confusing, Its even worse looking over things (especially the "create literally anything magic*) late at night, I completely 2nd guess alot of what I already know. I was sitting here like "how does he get the +26k to upgrade to +7?... because that is the difference between 72k and 98k...