PDA

View Full Version : Bags of Holding: Various non-linear uses and capabilities?

Nagog
2019-06-24, 03:34 PM
Good day everybody!

I've got an idea that I'd like to pitch to the community and see how it's received generally before attempting implementation. The idea is mostly for narrative purposes, so if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
The idea is for a Necromancy Wizard to have a place to... prepare skeletons from corpses. This being a rather on-the-road campaign, I imagine the issue of lugging around a corpse or two with a -2 strength mod to be rather difficult and nearly impossible, so I've made locating a Bag of Holding a priority. This spawned the idea of formatting the inside of the Bag of Holding as a small, compact workshop in which to do these deeds that many would deem grisly and disrespectful. The character is undead themselves so the issue of limited air is a non-issue, I'm just looking for some direction on the best/quickest/cheapest way to create a mobile workplace in which to do their work.

DarkKnightJin
2019-06-24, 03:40 PM
Best option I'd have for a 'mobile workshop' type deal: See of thr DM is okay with a 'Rope Trick' like effect being cast on the Bag. Or ask for an item that allows access to a (small) Demiplane like that, where you could do the dirty work. Probably needs something during creation to explain why only you and your 'projects' are able to go in.
You know, to avoid just going into the Bag of Bones or whatever it ends up being to take a Long Rest wherever you please.

Rukelnikov
2019-06-24, 03:50 PM
Do you really need a workshop? The Necro in my party carried his minions in a Bag of Holding, the DM said he could carry up to 4 in his bag, when combat started he tossed them out of the bag. If what you are talking about is a place to be able to cast Animate Dead every day... Portable Hole is definitely better for a "portable workshop", unless you are a hobbit with only hobbit-sized corpses, the bag of holding is not enough for something like that.

Damon_Tor
2019-06-24, 04:31 PM
In one of my campaign settings, the enemy made weapons of war which were bags of holding modified to fit inside a device that would forcibly invert the bag on impact. These were then fired from catapults behind enemy lines. The inverted bags would spill out their contents, which just so happened to be 16-20 (I forget the exact number I decided was reasonable) skeletons. Most of the skeletons had been loaded into the bags days ago, so they were "feral" and simply attacked whatever they could see. Some others were fresh, and were tasked with specific missions.

It was a "trench warfare" situation, exploring the natural ramifications of war in a world where spellcasters up to level 5 were reasonably common.

Nagog
2019-06-24, 04:32 PM
Best option I'd have for a 'mobile workshop' type deal: See of thr DM is okay with a 'Rope Trick' like effect being cast on the Bag. Or ask for an item that allows access to a (small) Demiplane like that, where you could do the dirty work. Probably needs something during creation to explain why only you and your 'projects' are able to go in.
You know, to avoid just going into the Bag of Bones or whatever it ends up being to take a Long Rest wherever you please.

I like the idea of Rope Trick, but alas I am currently only 3rd level and have a level of Rogue for Expertise. I'll probably invest in that at higher levels for sure. Also, I was looking into some things and discovered the strategy of having pre-animated skeletons inside the bag, so if the party were to be captured and our equipment removed, the Skeletons would be released upon their searching the bag, ala Ant Man and the Wasp's Altoids Tin.

On the topic of an interdimentional portkey, I have seen that as a common item in higher level adventuring parties and is definitely something I'll look into!

Do you really need a workshop? The Necro in my party carried his minions in a Bag of Holding, the DM said he could carry up to 4 in his bag, when combat started he tossed them out of the bag. If what you are talking about is a place to be able to cast Animate Dead every day... Portable Hole is definitely better for a "portable workshop", unless you are a hobbit with only hobbit-sized corpses, the bag of holding is not enough for something like that.

I'm looking into that, but I figure just for ease of use and some stat preferences I'd rather have Skeletons, which take some preparation between harvesting a corpse and animation ready. Upon impromptu research, Portable Holes are not the Instant Door I initially thought them to be, so I may end up using that as a prep space.