PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Portable Hole Jail cell and other abuses

OboTheHobo
2019-06-24, 10:27 PM
Just an idea, feel free to tell me it won't work. Portable Hole with Hallow cast inside of it the spell tied to the hollow is Dimensional anchor set to "turn on" for all alignments that are not the caster's. this should make it "safe" for the caster to go in and out of the hole while trapping opposing alignments.

[From Hallow] Finally, you may choose to fix a single spell effect to the hallowed site. The spell effect lasts for one year and functions throughout the entire site, regardless of the normal duration and area or effect. You may designate whether the effect applies to all creatures, creatures who share your faith or alignment, ((or creatures who adhere to another faith or alignment)).

[From dimensional anchor]
Any creature or object struck by the ray is covered with a shimmering emerald field that ((completely blocks extradimensional travel)).

Aside from the portable one way "jail cell" any other portable hole/hallow abuses?

OboTheHobo
2019-06-24, 10:44 PM
On Hallow abuse my higher level half-celestial wizard gets it as a SLA so he could theoretically set up a room for Buffs in a track-like theme.

It would look something like this ->

Combat starts or My PC is anticipating combat shortly

My Pc teleports to his "Buff" room and starts running a track through different hallows containing Aid, Bless, Death ward, endure elements, freedom of movement, Protection from Energy [For each type], remove fear (why not?), Resist energy [For each type]

my pc teleports back with long insane buffs

InvisibleBison
2019-06-24, 10:53 PM
The prison idea seems like it would work, so long as you gave your prisoner a bottle of air. Otherwise they would suffocate.

The buff track also would work, but since hallow has a 40-foot radius, it would take 10 rounds to run through the whole track. Probably not a practical course of action to take at the start of combat, though it might be reasonable if you know a fight's going to happen soon.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-25, 12:02 AM
The prison idea seems like it would work, so long as you gave your prisoner a bottle of air. Otherwise they would suffocate.

The buff track also would work, but since hallow has a 40-foot radius, it would take 10 rounds to run through the whole track. Probably not a practical course of action to take at the start of combat, though it might be reasonable if you know a fight's going to happen soon.

By overlapping the hallows (80 ft diameters) like Venn diagrams we can get the distance down to 490 ft (I played with graph paper for a few minutes. you can probably get it down more) my Wizard has monk levels enough for 70 base movement for a run of 280 bringing the turn count down to 2

[expeditious retreat] is probably a better option for most wizards

flamewolf393
2019-06-25, 06:51 PM
Spells from hallow only apply within the hallowed area, they dont apply a duration onto the creatures they affect. The moment you leave the hallowed area the buffs disappear.

OboTheHobo
2019-06-26, 08:47 PM
Spells from hallow only apply within the hallowed area, they dont apply a duration onto the creatures they affect. The moment you leave the hallowed area the buffs disappear.

So a spell like Aid or cause fear keeps reapplying itself every round?
why/how would a spell like dimensional anchor be useful in a hollow if it doesn't last longer once you leave the area?

HorizonWalker
2019-06-27, 02:48 AM
So a spell like Aid or cause fear keeps reapplying itself every round?
why/how would a spell like dimensional anchor be useful in a hollow if it doesn't last longer once you leave the area?

Because if there's no door and you can't leave the area without teleporting, then you're stuck.