PDA

View Full Version : Animal Lord and Beast Strike

ChaosStar
2019-06-25, 08:02 AM
I'm making an Ape Totem Barbarian 5 or 6/Fist of the Forest 3/Beastmaster 1+/Ape Lord 8-10 and I was wondering how Animal Lord's Wild Aspect and Beast Strike interacted. Do you get the bonus damage only when using the Wild Aspect or do you get it all of the time?

MisterKaws
2019-06-25, 08:07 AM
You don't have claws out of it, do you?

ChaosStar
2019-06-25, 08:20 AM
You don't have claws out of it, do you?

The Wild Aspect of Ape Lord(3rd Level Ability) turns your hands into claws, giving you two claw attacks, 1/day plus a 2d4+1.5xStr Rend if he hits with both. That increases to 2/day at 6th and 3/day at 9th. 7th upgrades them from 1d4 to 1d6 and the Rend to 2d6+1.5xStr.

liquidformat
2019-06-25, 09:16 AM
Your would only get the bonus when you are using wild aspect, similarly shifters with claw shifting only get the bonus while shifting.

MisterKaws
2019-06-25, 09:26 AM
The Wild Aspect of Ape Lord(3rd Level Ability) turns your hands into claws, giving you two claw attacks, 1/day plus a 2d4+1.5xStr Rend if he hits with both. That increases to 2/day at 6th and 3/day at 9th. 7th upgrades them from 1d4 to 1d6 and the Rend to 2d6+1.5xStr.

I mean in Humanoid form, out of your 'aspect form' (I know it's not exactly a polymorphic, but still). You only get to add claw damage while you have the claws.

ChaosStar
2019-06-25, 12:40 PM
Your would only get the bonus when you are using wild aspect, similarly shifters with claw shifting only get the bonus while shifting.

So would the feat be worth it or not?

MisterKaws
2019-06-25, 12:52 PM

That's on you. Do you think you can use it enough that the damage is paying off?

liquidformat
2019-06-25, 01:22 PM

I don't think it is worth the investment, from reading through at level 9 you can cast it for three times per day for 9 min each time. The time limit going past a minute here is honestly pretty worthless, you will rarely have a fight lasting over a minute and it will never be long enough for you to just leave it on. You really need to take extra wild shape and maybe take it twice to have enough uses to make it worth while and you would want to take INA to boost the damage to a point where it is worth using, so you are looking at sinking three or 4 feats in to make this viable that really isn't worth it.

If the ability lasted an hour/ level or if you had 6+ uses per day it might be worth while but as is it is too much investment with too little return.

ChaosStar
2019-06-25, 01:36 PM
I don't think it is worth the investment, from reading through at level 9 you can cast it for three times per day for 9 min each time. The time limit going past a minute here is honestly pretty worthless, you will rarely have a fight lasting over a minute and it will never be long enough for you to just leave it on. You really need to take extra wild shape and maybe take it twice to have enough uses to make it worth while and you would want to take INA to boost the damage to a point where it is worth using, so you are looking at sinking three or 4 feats in to make this viable that really isn't worth it.

If the ability lasted an hour/ level or if you had 6+ uses per day it might be worth while but as is it is too much investment with too little return.
Does Extra Wild Shape work with Wild Aspect? You can spend Wild Shape uses for it but I don't think it counts as Wild Shape.

liquidformat
2019-06-25, 01:41 PM
Does Extra Wild Shape work with Wild Aspect? You can spend Wild Shape uses for it but I don't think it counts as Wild Shape.

I mean unless your dm is just trying to be mean and punish you further for choosing animal lord it should be an issue. The class feature already identifies that you can use wild shape to fuel it so it should be ok RAI though it is not RAW.