PDA

View Full Version : Second generation half-orcs

Conradine
2019-06-25, 09:52 AM
In your opinion what could be the differences between a "normal" half orc and one who is born from and raised by two half-orcs?

Segev
2019-06-25, 09:57 AM
In your opinion what could be the differences between a "normal" half orc and one who is born from and raised by two half-orcs?

Not that much, really. Maybe slightly less self-conscious or lacking as much need to "prove" himself - whether as a "true orc" or "real human" or as "not being as evil/weak as his orc/human heritage suggests." Simply because he has two parents who already went through that and have presumably earned their place in whatever society they're in.

But in general, half-orcs that are still half-orcs (and not falling onto the Punnet Square corners that produce full orc or full human, assuming the genetics work that straight-forwardly...and they probably don't) will be half-orcs. Any differences would be strictly based on aculturation. How does being raised by a pair of half-orcs change their upbringing? Do they grow up in a human, orcish, or half-orc society? Heck, do they grow up in a halfling caravan that their half-orc parents joined to get away from civilization and the orc banditry and fell in love there?

Palanan
2019-06-25, 10:06 AM
Segev beat me to it--I was about to say that the only differences would likely be cultural, rather than physical.

I don't see any reason why two half-orcs wouldn't produce a half-orc child, but that child's experience growing up will likely be very different from its parents' experiences.

Conradine
2019-06-25, 10:15 AM
Usually, second generation hybrids are slightly smaller and sometimes have unusual eye color. Extreme traits tend to be smothered too.

HouseRules
2019-06-25, 10:26 AM
If their non-human blood is < 50%, the become mongrelfolk, not necessarily half-orcs.
Any other half-human falls under the same rule.

Psyren
2019-06-25, 10:29 AM
In 5e, the ones raised in orc society are slightly more likely to be evil, while the rest are lacking in tendency as humans. That seems to point to a cultural difference, so you could take that as you will.

I personally think the overall society/environment matters at least as much as the direct parents. Two half-orcs raising the child in an orcish clan is different than two half-orcs raising them in a cosmopolitan/multicultural city, and different again than trying to raise them in a predominantly human area.

Palanan
2019-06-25, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Conradine
Usually, second generation hybrids are slightly smaller and sometimes have unusual eye color.

In fruit flies, maybe, but I don’t know if this holds true for vertebrates, much less humans and related species.

Mike Miller
2019-06-25, 11:27 AM
Quarter orcs.

Elkad
2019-06-25, 01:01 PM
Quarter orcs.

"I'm not a half-orc, I'm a two quarters orc!"

liquidformat
2019-06-25, 01:13 PM

Are we sure they can reproduce true and this isn't a case similar to mules, ligers, and so on?

hamishspence
2019-06-25, 02:53 PM
Humans with a trace of orc blood (and conversely, orcs with a trace of human blood) crop up quite a bit in D&D fiction.

That wouldn't happen if half-orcs were sterile.

ShurikVch
2019-06-25, 05:12 PM
I read somewhere: Half-Elves born of two Half-Elves (rather than Elf and Human) would be more Human-like than their parents; may it be the same for Half-Orcs?

Mike Miller
2019-06-25, 05:58 PM
I read somewhere: Half-Elves born of two Half-Elves (rather than Elf and Human) would be more Human-like than their parents; may it be the same for Half-Orcs?

Quarter elves.

Jay R
2019-06-25, 07:15 PM
There are ten thousand possible half-orc characters. Build the character you want to play.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-25, 07:19 PM
Usually, second generation hybrids are slightly smaller and sometimes have unusual eye color. Extreme traits tend to be smothered too.

Maybe in things with smaller or simpler gene pools, but I don't see that happeneing in Half Orcs, simply because DnD human genes are apparently magical super glue.

I'm just gonna mirror what everyone else said, it matter more on culture and their parent's temperment than anything else. One raised surrounded by Half Orcs in a small stronghold carved out by their parents is gonna be way different than the one from Fantasy Not!Paris

Are we sure they can reproduce true and this isn't a case similar to mules, ligers, and so on?

Nothing says that Half-Orcs are sterile and I'm farily certain several novels talk about the children of half-orcs at some point. So i'm sure that the bits work fine.

Mechalich
2019-06-25, 07:25 PM
Established D&D settings include examples of fully functional half-orc populations and independent half-orc cultures (there's one in FR, in Damara IRRC), which confirms that half-orcs are true breeding on their own.

This obviously has implications in that a half-orc who was born to two half-orc parents and lived their entire lives in a half-orc culture (whatever that might be) is going to be very different from a one conceived via an unusual inter-species relationship or via violence.

This is actually something that impacts pretty much all 'hybrid' species in D&D. There are clear differences between a character who was born into a true-breeding population of pretty much anything versus oddball hybrids who are likely to be the only individual of their 'race' that they ever encounter. In traditional D&D, it was expected that the later was how most such characters came to be - Tanis Half-Elven is famously named for his genetics, because the number of half-elves found on Krynn at any given time barely made it into the double-digits, however time has moved it so that hybrids are more common and true breeding enclaves of even highly unusual beings like Genasi (or their pathfinder equivalents) are now a thing.

Skyrender
2019-06-25, 09:04 PM
Then again, there are hybrid races that breed true for a long time, even after being diluted with multiple generations of pure-blooded parents from only one race (aasimar, tieflings, and genasi are prime examples). Besides which, half-orcs already get the short end of the stick in 3e/3.5e. At the time, they were still following Gygax's obviously skewed thinking (he's notorious for favoring warriors to a ridiculous degree, to the point of being unable to imagine why anyone would want to play any other character type).

Gygax: "Strength bonus? Well, that's obviously going to be WAY more important than anything else in the game, so they need to be penalized in two other stats, and get nothing but darkvision!"

Ugh.

One time, a friend of mine did a statistical analysis of all the character races in the 3.5 PHB, and he concluded (not surprisingly) that half-orcs were the least favorable race, by a wide margin. Elves were top of the heap (because, of course), at something like a +1.9 LA. After that, it was dwarves at 1.6, halflings and gnomes tied at 1.4, half-elves at 1, humans at 0.9... and then there's a 50-foot free fall before you get to half-orcs. Seriously, half-orcs came in at -0.05 LA if you're a barbarian, and even lower for other PHB classes.

That's right, half-orcs are actually WORSE than using the default characteristics for humanoids!

So in answer to the OP: no, there's no differences in the game statistics for second-generation half-orcs, but that's because they're solely there so players could have a 'monstrous' race that was completely canon within the game. They were given seriously substandard traits, solely because they had one 'monstrous' parent... and because nobody thought twice about trying to make such a race balanced. If I was DMing a 3.X game, I would allow half-orcs to pick +2 to either STR or CON, and -2 to INT, WIS, or CHA, they keep the darkvision, and they get a once-a-day rage, as per barbarian (level 1, if you don't have a raging class).

Duff
2019-06-25, 09:59 PM
Are you a GM? If so do you want a difference? Make it so!

Are you a player arguing your PC should be different to the normal player's handbook half orc?

Is it purely an academic question?

Either way - I would say no difference stat wise. Social differences up to context

Bavarian itP
2019-06-25, 10:04 PM
One time, a friend of mine did a statistical analysis of all the character races in the 3.5 PHB, and he concluded (not surprisingly) that half-orcs were the least favorable race, by a wide margin. Elves were top of the heap (because, of course), at something like a +1.9 LA. After that, it was dwarves at 1.6, halflings and gnomes tied at 1.4, half-elves at 1, humans at 0.9... and then there's a 50-foot free fall before you get to half-orcs. Seriously, half-orcs came in at -0.05 LA if you're a barbarian, and even lower for other PHB classes.

So, your friend thought that elves are the best and humans the second worst PHB race?

Palanan
2019-06-25, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Mechalich
Established D&D settings include examples of fully functional half-orc populations and independent half-orc cultures….

Out of curiosity, can you give more details about these populations and cultures?

I’m not seeing anything in the FRCS about a separate half-orc culture in Damara, but I would be interested in knowing about specific half-orc communities if they’re mentioned elsewhere in the Realmslore.

Remuko
2019-06-25, 11:30 PM
Quarter orcs.

Quarter elves.

you do know thats not how it works right?

1/2 human 1/2 orc + 1/2 human 1/2 orc.

The kid gets half of each parent.

half of each parent is 1/4 human 1/4 orc.

1/4 human 1/4 orc + 1/4 human 1/4 orc = 1/2 human 1/2 orc.

Zhorn
2019-06-25, 11:48 PM
"me half orc. other half also orc" :smallbiggrin:

magic9mushroom
2019-06-26, 12:01 AM
So, your friend thought that elves are the best and humans the second worst PHB race?

If you're running core-only, humans aren't nearly as good as they are with all sources. There are a few very good feats in core (Leadership, Natural Spell, Quicken Spell, and a couple of the archery tree), but not enough that you really need an eighth. Multiclassing is also substantially less supported, so the "favoured class: any" isn't as useful (half-elves get it too, for what it's worth).

On the other hand, core-only high elves (PHB elves) suck, while with certain sourcebook tricks grey elves make some of the best wizards.

The two races from the PHB that I'd say are top of the heap in most degrees of source availability and most levels of optimisation are dwarves and gnomes. Halflings are quite good - just not as good as gnomes - while humans are meh in core and awesome outside it, and the rest suck.

Mechalich
2019-06-26, 01:25 AM
Out of curiosity, can you give more details about these populations and cultures?

I’m not seeing anything in the FRCS about a separate half-orc culture in Damara, but I would be interested in knowing about specific half-orc communities if they’re mentioned elsewhere in the Realmslore.

Ah, I was off slightly, it's actually Vaasa. Specifically, the city of Palischuk. A considerable portion of RA Salvatore's The Sellswords Trilogy takes place in proximity to it.

Jay R
2019-06-26, 07:46 AM

Admittedly, D&D genetics doesn’t work like real-world genetics, but your description is not how half-breed races work here.

The child gets one of two chromosomes in each pair from each parent. That chromosome is either the one from one grandparent or the one from the other.

So at each chromosome pair, there is a 1/2 probability that both genes come from the same race.

This means there is a 1/4 probability of an orc-orc pairing, a 1/4 probability of a human-human pairing, and a 1/2 probability of orc-human pairing in each pair.

The overall gene mix can be weighted in either direction.

Remuko
2019-06-26, 08:15 AM
Admittedly, D&D genetics doesn’t work like real-world genetics, but your description is not how half-breed races work here.

The child gets one of two chromosomes in each pair from each parent. That chromosome is either the one from one grandparent or the one from the other.

So at each chromosome pair, there is a 1/2 probability that both genes come from the same race.

This means there is a 1/4 probability of an orc-orc pairing, a 1/4 probability of a human-human pairing, and a 1/2 probability of orc-human pairing in each pair.

The overall gene mix can be weighted in either direction.

yeah i didnt want to go into the specifics like that but the person i was replying too kept replying to people saying that two half-elf mating or two half-orcs mating always make a 1/4 orc/elf which isn't correct. As you said is right. They could end up full orc, full human, or half-orc, with being half-orc like their parents being the most common result and 1/4 like that person was saying not even a possibility.

HouseRules
2019-06-26, 08:38 AM
Old School have a reason why the genetics need more than calculations...

In a way, > 50% Human is Human in Old School -> Mongrelfolk in 3E.
In a way, ≤ 50% Human is Half-Human Half-Other-Race -> Half-Other-Race in 3E.

However, ≤ 50% Human includes 100% Other.
How is it possible for 100% Elf-Blood Half-Elf?
Elves have no separation between their Soul and Body, but the pregnancy of Half-Elves cannot develop the unison of Soul and Body, so they cannot become full Elves.
Other Races that have united Soul and Body also have this issue.
100% Non-Human Blood, yet Half-Other-Race because they cannot achieve the unison.
Races that have separate Soul and Body could achieve full Other-Race.

In a way, exactly 100% Other Race is Other Race for those that have separate Soul and Body.

Orcs and Goblinoids follow Tolkienian of corrupted Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, etc., so they also have no separation between Soul and Body.

Remember that the ends of chromosomes could swap traits during the formation of gametes.
Thus, thinking that you could only inherit the entirety of the a chromosome is wrong.
The part that you could inherit from a chromosome that is guarantee is identical for everyone.
There's a reason why people have 99.8% genetics identical, and Races in Human is defined by a mere 0.0020% difference!

stack
2019-06-26, 08:48 AM
I would expect a bell curve distribution of characteristics, ranging from 'indistinguishable from human' to 'indistinguishable from orc' at the extreme, low-percentage ends, increasing percentages as you go through 'more human' and 'more orc' to 'normal half-orc' in the middle of the distribution. As noted above, extreme characteristic will tend to be muted as well. If cultural trends favor certain sets of characteristics over the succeeding generations, there may be trends (though not necessarily clearly in the direction of either base, could favor particular traits from each like darkvision and a bonus feat).

Palanan
2019-06-26, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mechalich
Ah, I was off slightly, it's actually Vaasa.

Vaasa, Damara, they both have three a’s. :smalltongue:

Are there any other half-orc cultures you can point me to, either in FR or other settings?

Originally Posted by stack
…could favor particular traits from each like darkvision and a bonus feat….

I wouldn’t tie the bonus feat to genetics, since that’s a game abstraction rather than a physical feature like darkvision or a robust physique. The bonus feat can be attributed entirely to culture—the human drive to acquire and exceed, which in this case manifests as extra effort thrown into developing additional talents.

Originally Posted by Jay R

Pretty sure this averages out to 1/2 orc and 1/2 human genes. :smallsmile:

Originally Posted by stack
I would expect a bell curve distribution of characteristics, ranging from 'indistinguishable from human' to 'indistinguishable from orc' at the extreme, low-percentage ends, increasing percentages as you go through 'more human' and 'more orc' to 'normal half-orc' in the middle of the distribution.

Also, this. Some genes will be linked, others won’t, so it’s a complicated picture; but it’s perfectly reasonable to say that most half-orc-to-half-orc matings will result in a half-orc very similar to the parents.

In other words, the typical child of half-orc parents will be a typical half-orc, with only a small percentage of such children expressing more human or more orcish characteristics.

Mike Miller
2019-06-26, 10:00 AM

How dare you apply real world logic to my D&D game! I will send my army of tenth-orcs after you to settle this!

liquidformat
2019-06-26, 10:16 AM
Maybe in things with smaller or simpler gene pools, but I don't see that happeneing in Half Orcs, simply because DnD human genes are apparently magical super glue.

What d&d has taught me, that humans a dragons will mate with anything and most of the time have an offspring...

Sorry I can't trust anything that gives that high a rating for half-elf they are one of the worst races in the game.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-26, 12:27 PM
Then again, there are hybrid races that breed true for a long time, even after being diluted with multiple generations of pure-blooded parents from only one race (aasimar, tieflings, and genasi are prime examples). Besides which, half-orcs already get the short end of the stick in 3e/3.5e. At the time, they were still following Gygax's obviously skewed thinking (he's notorious for favoring warriors to a ridiculous degree, to the point of being unable to imagine why anyone would want to play any other character type).

Gygax: "Strength bonus? Well, that's obviously going to be WAY more important than anything else in the game, so they need to be penalized in two other stats, and get nothing but darkvision!"

Ugh.

That's right, half-orcs are actually WORSE than using the default characteristics for humanoids!

So in answer to the OP: no, there's no differences in the game statistics for second-generation half-orcs, but that's because they're solely there so players could have a 'monstrous' race that was completely canon within the game. They were given seriously substandard traits, solely because they had one 'monstrous' parent... and because nobody thought twice about trying to make such a race balanced. If I was DMing a 3.X game, I would allow half-orcs to pick +2 to either STR or CON, and -2 to INT, WIS, or CHA, they keep the darkvision, and they get a once-a-day rage, as per barbarian (level 1, if you don't have a raging class).

Wait... So Half Elves are better than humans in Core? I'm sorry, what? I hate how Half Orcs are stated and I put them higher than Half Elves

noob
2019-06-26, 12:52 PM
half elf are a not so rare race for diplomancers due to the diplomacy boost.
And everyone knows how disruptive diplomancers can be.
the only thing more disruptive is stuff like gnomes tinkers or illusionists or humans who start going all "Siege the galaxy with my flying invisible battleships"(aka the "stop playing master of magic" human) who essentially are here to avoid the plot altogether.

liquidformat
2019-06-26, 01:42 PM
Wait... So Half Elves are better than humans in Core? I'm sorry, what? I hate how Half Orcs are stated and I put them higher than Half Elves

ya that is why I don't trust their findings, that one point alone is a major issue...

Blackhawk748
2019-06-26, 05:25 PM
half elf are a not so rare race for diplomancers due to the diplomacy boost.
And everyone knows how disruptive diplomancers can be.
the only thing more disruptive is stuff like gnomes tinkers or illusionists or humans who start going all "Siege the galaxy with my flying invisible battleships"(aka the "stop playing master of magic" human) who essentially are here to avoid the plot altogether.

Or you could play an Aasimar who gets a +2 Cha instead of a fat load of nothing but a +2 to Diplomacy, which is effectively meaningless. Hell, be a human and take Skill Focus. You're already ahead of the Half Elf then.

ya that is why I don't trust their findings, that one point alone is a major issue...

They are the worst Cor race, hands down. the top ones are Halfling, Gnome and Dwarf with Elf and Human next, with Half orc being several feet above Half Elf.

Once you leave core it changes considerably.

noob
2019-06-26, 05:49 PM
Or you could play an Aasimar who gets a +2 Cha instead of a fat load of nothing but a +2 to Diplomacy, which is effectively meaningless. Hell, be a human and take Skill Focus. You're already ahead of the Half Elf then.

They are the worst Cor race, hands down. the top ones are Halfling, Gnome and Dwarf with Elf and Human next, with Half orc being several feet above Half Elf.

If you do a really intensely cheezy diplomancer then you probably have a bunch of feats from flaws then use locations and dark chaos shuffle and so on until you have all the diplomacy feats.

magic9mushroom
2019-06-26, 08:50 PM

No. Half-orcs have negative attribute modifiers and no bells and whistles beyond darkvision. Half-elves have a couple of random racial boosts plus Bonus Languages: Any and Favoured Class: Any.

You could make a case that of the PHB races the half-elves are the least likely to be useful (which depends on not being outclassed - having unique features - more than on utility)... but you said "core", which means you wouldn't take half-orc either - you'd take orc.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-26, 09:25 PM
No. Half-orcs have negative attribute modifiers and no bells and whistles beyond darkvision. Half-elves have a couple of random racial boosts plus Bonus Languages: Any and Favoured Class: Any.

You could make a case that of the PHB races the half-elves are the least likely to be useful (which depends on not being outclassed - having unique features - more than on utility)... but you said "core", which means you wouldn't take half-orc either - you'd take orc.

Typically the Mosnter Manual isn't available in Core, so Half Orcs are way mroe useful than Half Elves, who's skill bonuses basically don't matter and Bonus Language Any is shared by Humans, who are just better.

Spore
2019-06-26, 10:15 PM

With all your genetics, remember that D&D genetics is determined by gods and not our mortal understanding of Mendel's Laws.

Unless you're a mad wizard generating uncertified hybrids. Then please remain calm. the nearest temple will dispatch a paladin to kill you and destroy your lab, free of charge. :smallamused:

magic9mushroom
2019-06-27, 07:42 AM
Typically the Mosnter Manual isn't available in Core,

The Monster Manual is Core Rulebook III. It is core.

so Half Orcs are way mroe useful than Half Elves, who's skill bonuses basically don't matter and Bonus Language Any is shared by Humans, who are just better.

You could make a case that of the PHB races the half-elves are the least likely to be useful (which depends on not being outclassed - having unique features - more than on utility)...

Read posts before responding to them.

liquidformat
2019-06-27, 08:29 AM
The Monster Manual is Core Rulebook III. It is core.
Read posts before responding to them.

Most core only games I have played in have not allowed alternate races from monster manual, so your argument is little more than semantics making it moot. Anyways even with negative ability scores the half orc is still better because of the way fighters and barbarians work with two handed weapons, and a couple static skill mods isn't enough to overcome that. If we are including MM races then the worst is kobold followed by goblin and then half elf followed shortly by half orc. The difference isn't much but I would actually play a half-orc, goblin, or kobold in core only before a half-elf, they just suck.

Psychoalpha
2019-06-27, 12:38 PM
Most core only games I have played in have not allowed alternate races from monster manual, so your argument is little more than semantics making it moot.

He is objectively, factually correct in his designation of the Monster Manual as a Core Rulebook, so your subjective experience with groups who choose to define 'core' as something else would seem to be the one relying on semantics for its correctness. ;D

If people mean PHB-only races they should just say PHB-only races. :p

Bavarian itP
2019-06-27, 12:42 PM
If people mean PHB-only races they should just say PHB-only races. :p

This whole argument started in #17, in which exactly this is specified.

ShurikVch
2019-06-27, 07:26 PM
Elves have no separation between their Soul and Body, but the pregnancy of Half-Elves cannot develop the unison of Soul and Body, so they cannot become full Elves.FWIW, Shadowbane have Aelfborn instead the usual Half-Elves
Because of bad connection of elven and human parts, all Aelfborn are insane, and able to function in society only because of magical tattoos

What d&d has taught me, that humans a dragons will mate with anything and most of the time have an offspring...That reminded me:
Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl!
Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
Human: What?
Elf: Half elves, half orcs...
Human: Hey!
Dwarf: Half dragons, Half trolls...
Human: Stop it!
Elf: ... Centaurs.

hamishspence
2019-06-28, 12:56 AM
Given that centaurs have long pointy ears, the rumor (at least spread by humans) is that they're part elf:

Races of Faerun

Human legend has it that the centaurs are the result of some mad cross between a wild elf and a wild mustang, but both the wild elves and the centaurs take umbrage at this suggestion (The mustangs have no particular opinions on the matter.)

Segev
2019-06-28, 09:15 AM
Given that centaurs have long pointy ears, the rumor (at least spread by humans) is that they're part elf:

Races of Faerun

Human legend has it that the centaurs are the result of some mad cross between a wild elf and a wild mustang, but both the wild elves and the centaurs take umbrage at this suggestion (The mustangs have no particular opinions on the matter.)

And here I thought the main reason the Centaurs took Umbrage was because Harry Potter mustn't tell lies!

liquidformat
2019-06-28, 09:41 AM

Races of Faerun

And here I thought the main reason the Centaurs took Umbrage was because Harry Potter mustn't tell lies!

It's posts like these that make me love this site!

I know there are some sources out there that say elves have fey blood in them, I have always taken this to mean elves are just humans whose ancestors liked getting hot and heavy with fey...

Furthermore, if we go Tolkien then orcs are just corrupted elves, so then it stands to reason you could have half elf and half orc populations that function just fine as they are all just humans with a little extra...

Taking it a step further it would be comical to have a setting where everything with the humanoid race take trace their lineage to humans hooking up with something...

Segev
2019-06-28, 10:37 AM
It's posts like these that make me love this site!

I know there are some sources out there that say elves have fey blood in them, I have always taken this to mean elves are just humans whose ancestors liked getting hot and heavy with fey...

Furthermore, if we go Tolkien then orcs are just corrupted elves, so then it stands to reason you could have half elf and half orc populations that function just fine as they are all just humans with a little extra...

Taking it a step further it would be comical to have a setting where everything with the humanoid race take trace their lineage to humans hooking up with something...

And that's how you get Xanth!

Well, Xanth also has love springs involved, and is by Piers Anthony, so read with caution. But it's usually pretty entertaining in a light fare sort of way.

HouseRules
2019-06-28, 12:19 PM
In my lore, Centaurs are the descendants of unicorns and you know who.

Bavarian itP
2019-06-28, 12:35 PM
In my lore, Centaurs are the descendants of unicorns and you know who.

The descandants of unicorns and Voldemort?

liquidformat
2019-06-28, 01:45 PM
The descandants of unicorns and Voldemort?

No Professor Quirrell! You Know Who was a ghost at that point possessing the back of Professor Quirrell's head...

Dunsparce
2019-06-28, 05:19 PM
In the Greyhawk 2000 campaign setting from a 3.0 Dragon Magazine issue(Basically the setting is Greyhawk far enough into the future that it is not that much different from modern(circa 2000) earth technologically, with things like cars, jet planes, skyscraper-filled cities, and personal computers), half-orcs and half-elves have interbred with themselves so much over the centuries that they are now more-or-less seen as entirely different races from orcs/elves and humans. As such they are now referred to as Breed and Silvaan, respectively.

Palanan
2019-06-30, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Segev

Ba-doom-boom. :smallbiggrin:

…and is by Piers Anthony, so read with caution.

Why the caution?

Morty_Jhones
2019-06-30, 07:13 PM
good books but he can be a bit .... explicit.. and hes very fond of his double entendres

Elkad
2019-06-30, 10:20 PM
good books but he can be a bit .... explicit.. and hes very fond of his double entendres

?
There's a rape in the Battle Circle books IIRC, but it's not particularly graphic.
Cannibalism in the Tyrant books.
Nothing in Adept or Immortals books.

Xanth? I can't think of anything more than a bit racy, at least through the ones I read (I probably stopped around #19).

HouseRules
2019-06-30, 10:43 PM
Isn't Chastity different from Virginity?

Chastity:
No Premarital Sex.
No Extramarital Sex.
Nowhere does it requires to be a Virgin.

Blackhawk748
2019-07-01, 06:20 PM
Isn't Chastity different from Virginity?

Chastity:
No Premarital Sex.
No Extramarital Sex.
Nowhere does it requires to be a Virgin.

Um...yes? Where did this come from?

Segev
2019-07-02, 12:45 PM
Why the caution?

Tatham Mound gets more than a little racy (full on "romance novel" level), but the Xanth novels are racy for their target audience; Anthony claims they're his "children's book" line. Heaven Cent (if I remember which novel it is with Dolph correctly) actually has a nine-year-old protagonist, and definitely has content inappropriate for a reader of the protagonist's age. Nothing super-explicit, but for even a young teen it'd be "steamy."

The biggest nod to censoring stuff is his references to "The elipsis" that appears whenever minors are around the Adult Conspiracy, and referring to particular activities as "summoning the stork." Xanth is never pornographic, but it'd probably be rated a minimum of PG-13 even with extensive effort to censor things that HBO would prefer to claim are "in the novel as-is," and would easily get an R rating if HBO filmed it in what they would consider a "faithful" manner.

More on topic, second-generation half-orcs in Xanth would have their own village, most likely, and would probably be a lot of half-somethings other than "human" in there. It is not unlikely that a love spring would be a nearby feature.

Palanan
2019-07-02, 01:45 PM
Tatham Mound gets more than a little racy….

Ah yes, I remember that now. Kind of a disappointing novel when I read it.

I don’t remember Heaven Cent in particular, but I do recall a lot of convenient gusts of wind that blew the clothing right off some petite females. That seems to happen a lot in Xanth.

Nothing super-explicit, but for even a young teen it'd be "steamy."

Not that I’m condoning this, but most YA these days is full of unbridled steaminess.

Also, I was gobsmacked by the adult content the last time I picked up a superhero comic, and that’s reaching a younger audience as well.

More on topic, second-generation half-orcs in Xanth would have their own village, most likely, and would probably be a lot of half-somethings other than "human" in there. It is not unlikely that a love spring would be a nearby feature.

And they’d probably all speak in rhyme, or alliteration, or something cute like that.