PDA

View Full Version : Clerics with multiple domains?

paladinn
2019-06-25, 04:16 PM
Hello all,

In 3.x, I believe clerics were allowed to have 2 domains from which to choose their bonus spells. So a cleric of Apollo could choose from both Light and Life. In 5e this seems to be nerfed to allow only one. Is there a good reason for this? Was the 3.x cleric OP?

I'm thinking of allowing a cleric of a deity with multiple domains to choose from each domain spell list for his/her special spells. Not to increase the number of spell slots, only the spells "prepared".

Is this going to be too much of a headache?

Gratzi!

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-25, 04:32 PM
If you want a second domain, just drop two levels into a theurgy wizard.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-25, 04:37 PM
Hello all,

In 3.x, I believe clerics were allowed to have 2 domains from which to choose their bonus spells. So a cleric of Apollo could choose from both Light and Life. In 5e this seems to be nerfed to allow only one. Is there a good reason for this? Was the 3.x cleric OP?

I'm thinking of allowing a cleric of a deity with multiple domains to choose from each domain spell list for his/her special spells. Not to increase the number of spell slots, only the spells "prepared".

Gratzi!

It was dropped in favor for making a streamlined playstyle that's also less restrictive. In 3.x, your domain defined the major part of the personality of your Cleric. In 5e, you could be a Life Cleric that actually serves a Deity of Necromancy, just because you said so.

Classes, in a way, are a bundle of mechanics that serve a cause of your choosing. Not only that, but because the spell list is not restrictive at all, you could very well easily say that Apollo is a Cleric of Light with a level into Fighter for weapon proficiencies, with some healing spells on the side.

Your idea isn't at all bad, though. It does mean that everyone will be stealing the Trickery Domain's spell list to ignore the rest of the subclass.

paladinn
2019-06-25, 04:40 PM
I was actually thinking of the Light/ Life example. Heal with one hand and blast with the other. Just kidding.. maybe

All the undead can start lining up at the graveyard.. Wait..

Kane0
2019-06-25, 04:42 PM
Hello all,

Gratzi!

Domains did less in 3.x than they do in 5e; they were just bonus spell lists and a feature at level 1 but now they are bonus spells plus class features at levels 2, 6, 8 and 17.

If you're only talking about the bonus spells prepped from each list that's not going to be super gamebreaking, but I'd encourage you to play vanilla first if you haven't already.

paladinn
2019-06-25, 05:56 PM
I was thinking that whenever a character gets another "always prepped" spell, s/he could choose one of that level's spells from any of his/her domains. Same with class features.

A little more variety isn't a bad thing!

nickl_2000
2019-06-25, 06:00 PM
I was thinking that whenever a character gets another "always prepped" spell, s/he could choose one of that level's spells from any of his/her domains. Same with class features.

A little more variety isn't a bad thing!

A little variety isn't a bad thing, but picking and choosing the best feature from multiple domains is (I'm not saying you would, but there is a risk of this). Generally when a subclass is made there is a balance in the power of the features with some being more powerful and some being less so. The power balance isn't always the same between features in levels, which is where this becomes a problem.

I actually would rather see a player homebrew a Domain that fits into the flavor that they are looking for, so I could see how it would fit together from the beginning.

Nagog
2019-06-25, 07:56 PM
This does raise an interesting question, could you "multiclass" into the same class you're already in to take a different subclass route? You'd end up losing a lot of levels into things that can't double up, like proficiencies and passive abilities, but is it possible?

Kane0
2019-06-25, 10:55 PM
Well, homebrewing up a mix between the two shouldn't be too hard. Here's a first draft without too much effort:

Bonus Spells:
Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire
Lesser Restoration, Scorching Ray
Revivify, Fireball
Death Ward, Guardian of Faith
Flame Strike, Raise Dead

Channel Divinity: Divine Radiance
As an action you can choose each creature within 30 feet of you that you can see to either restore 1d6 + your cleric level hit points or take the same amount in radiant damage. A creature that succeeds on a Constitution saving throw against your spell DC takes half as much damage

Level 1: Blessings of Life
You gain proficiency in Heavy armor.
Additionally, when you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, both you and that creature regain additional hit points equal to half your cleric level

Level 6: Warding Flare
When you are attacked by a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. If the attack hits the creature takes radiant damage equal to 1d6 + your cleric level.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Level 8: Divine Strike
Your cantrips and weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 radiant damage
This increases to 2d6 at level 14

Level 17: Corona of Light
You emit bright light in a 15 foot radius and dim light 15 feet beyond that. You can suppress or resume this light as an action.
Creatures within the area of your bright light use the highest possible number for each die when receiving healing or taking fire or radiant damage

paladinn
2019-06-25, 11:25 PM
Well, homebrewing up a mix between the two shouldn't be too hard. Here's a first draft without too much effort:

Awesome! I would play this in a heartbeat!

Hmm.. I wonder if this would fit Melisandre from GoT :)