PDA

View Full Version : Hedgewitch Archetypes

Atypical_Necro
2019-06-25, 05:44 PM
So I'll be playing in a PF/3.5/Spheres campaign soon, and I was looking at the hedgewitch. I wanted my character to have been trained in the ways of military officers, but to also have non-magical means of "leading" the party in battle. I was looking at hedgewitch archetypes and the iron mage fits well. I also enjoy the martial hedgewitch, as I'd love to utilize the warleader sphere. But I have some questions, as I'm not well-acquainted with the way archetypes work.

1- can these archetypes be combined? It seems like they can, unless I read the archetype rules incorrectly.

2- does the martial hedgewitch lose magical talents? It doesn't say that combat training replaces casting. Does that mean they gain both magical and martial talents in separate progressions?I

Thanks!

Venger
2019-06-25, 06:22 PM
1 yes, you can combine any number of archetypes, as long as they're not giving up the same thing.

Atypical_Necro
2019-06-25, 06:34 PM
Excellent! I don't see any overlaps, so I think I'm good to go. Thank you sir!

StSword
2019-06-25, 07:45 PM
The rule is that archetypes are compatible if they don't alter or replace any of the same class features.

Looking at it, I'd say I feel it's a mistake that they made the martial hedgewitch an archetype, it looks to me perfectly fine as just a tradition, which it effectively is, since it takes away a tradition if you take it. Sure, it alters proficiencies, but so does taking combat.

As for your second question, no, you don't lose magic talents, the combat talents are a bonus ala a hedgewitch getting an animal companion, or arcane pool, versatile performance, or an oracle curse, so think of the combat talents as the tradition benefit along those lines.

Atypical_Necro
2019-06-25, 09:35 PM
As for your second question, no, you don't lose magic talents, the combat talents are a bonus ala a hedgewitch getting an animal companion, or arcane pool, versatile performance, or an oracle curse, so think of the combat talents as the tradition benefit along those lines.

Awesome, thanks! That's how I interpreted it as well, but I wasn't sure if it was just me being hopeful.