PDA

View Full Version : How do huntsmaster and boon companion stack?

flamewolf393
2019-06-25, 07:14 PM
This is for a packlord druid with multiple animal companions, Specifically the build is a level 5 packlord/eagle shaman/feral child. Its a kid that was raised by eagles and now they fight at his side to defend their home. :smallbiggrin:

Huntsmaster gives +1 effective level to all my animal companions, no class level cap. Boon companion gives one AC a +4, but capped by my level. Which one hits first?

So for example, a level 5 druid with 5 animal companions, with 5 feats of boon companion makes 5 level 5 companions. Would huntmaster go first, capping the boon companion at +3, or would it apply after, making them level 6 companions?

Also if anyone knows any other tips for boosting animal companion power/level let me know please, especially if theres a way to keep this build relevant after level 8ish.

tyckspoon
2019-06-25, 07:28 PM
If the specific abilities do not say, then the rules don't address it - there aren't any general case instructions on what order to apply things. It's one of the more annoying gaps in the basic rules, considering how frequently it makes a difference. The most accepted convention (recommended by Sage Advice articles) is to do whatever is most beneficial to the holder of the relevant abilities. In your case apply up to your HD, and then layer on the ability that lets you break the limit.

..ultimately, tho, it's an 'Ask your DM' question, because it is not addressed in the actual rules.

upho
2019-06-26, 02:49 PM
Huntsmaster gives +1 effective level to all my animal companions, no class level cap. Boon companion gives one AC a +4, but capped by my level. Which one hits first?Huntsmaster is a relatively old and poorly worded feat. But if being nitpicky, strictly as written I'd say the feats stack regardless of the order in which they're applied. In detail, Huntsmaster treats "you" as if one level higher with regards to your AC's abilities/your EDL (effective Druid level), saying (my emphasis):

"you are treated as one level higher when determining the abilities of your animal companion"

As a comparison, the more clearly worded Boon Companion says:

"The abilities of your animal companion or familiar are calculated as though your class were 4 levels higher, to a maximum effective druid level equal to your character level."

In other words, Huntsmaster makes both your related class level AND your related character level one higher, whereas Boon Companion ONLY increases your related class level and is limited by your related character level. In effect, Huntsmaster increases the character level Boon Companion refers to.

But as tyckspoon wrote, this is definitely "ask your GM"-territory.

So for example, a level 5 druid with 5 animal companions, with 5 feats of boon companion makes 5 level 5 companions. Would huntmaster go first, capping the boon companion at +3, or would it apply after, making them level 6 companions?If going with the above interpretation, the order doesn't matter. If you apply the Boon Companion feats first, they increase your druid-granted eagle EDLs to 5 and Huntsmaster further increases those EDLs to 6. And if you apply Huntsmaster first, it increases both your druid-granted eagle EDLs to 2 and your associated character level to 6, and the Boon companion feats then increases the EDLs to 6.

And if power matters, in a vast majority of games, I believe allowing these feats to stack won't make ACs less balanced, rather the opposite since the few types of ACs affected by Huntsmaster become very weak options no later than 7th level. Having say five very poorly equipped EDL 7 bird ACs at character level 10 generally won't be nearly as strong as having 5 or 6 additional feats and a single well-equipped EDL 10 strong AC, as say a griffon, allosaurus, devil monkey or warcat.

Also if anyone knows any other tips for boosting animal companion power/level let me know please, especially if theres a way to keep this build relevant after level 8ish.Having your 5 eagles and the related great investments - notably 6+ feats - remaining relevant after level 8 or so is indeed going to be very challenging. And unfortunately, aside from Huntsmaster there are to my knowledge no worthwhile options which can help specifically with having multiple ACs. You may of course get a little bit more out of your mass-buffing spells those few times when you cannot affect more suitable targets, such as other PCs in your party, but otherwise I believe the combat function of your eagles will quickly be reduced to that of a mobile but fragile meat shield. That said, you're still a druid, one of the strongest classes in the game. So as long as you don't really screw up your spell choices and your casting, when you reach this level you're highly unlikely to need any assistance from your ACs to be awesome in combat.

If you'd like to keep the whole eagle companion character concept reflected in mechanical abilities relevant in combat, in your situation I'd seriously consider retraining (if allowed in your game) Huntsmaster and most of the five Boon Companion feats before 10th level. At the same time I'd say goodbye to at least 4 of your "common" eagles, and instead welcome one or two larger majestic "royal" versions (roc stats), of which one would have an EDL kept equal to character level thereafter. Maybe you could borrow a page from H.C. Andersen, flavoring the change of ACs as if the one or two smallest or ugliest of your five eagles turned out to be of an actually much more impressive different species?

Should you decide to take this route, there are tons of great options and potentially very strong combos. If you do, I'd be happy to give you some suggestions.