PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Proving a Rule (Pathfinder)

Drowicorn
2019-06-25, 09:36 PM
Hello all,
I recently began playing in a new Pathfinder game, and came across an... interesting interpretation of the spell casting rules.
Our party is leave 2 and our Druid suddenly started casting second and fourth level spells, on the grounds that he got them as bonus spells because of his high wisdom score. The DM agreed with him (he’s fairly new at DMing and never touched a spellcaster as a player), but asked me if I could disprove it when I disagreed with this idea.
Is my interpretation that you only get bonus spells for spell levels you can cast correct? If so, what thing in the book can I point at to prove this to him?
My thanks in advance.

Coventry
2019-06-25, 09:50 PM
Quoting the Pathfinder SRD (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores/) (under the table labelled "Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells":

In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of a high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.

Your interpretation is correct. The "-" in the spells per day line means a caster of that character level cannot cast spells of that spell level (yet). A "0" means that bonus spells due to a high ability score can be cast ... but off hand I am having trouble remembering any pathfinder class that has that feature. It might have been a 3.5 thing that Paizo discarded.

EDIT:

Found one! I had forgotten that the Ranger had entries of 0 in the list, but there they are: Ranger on the SRD (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/). In the explanation, below, the text states: "When Table: Ranger indicates that the ranger gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level."

The paladin is the same way.

denthor
2019-06-25, 10:42 PM
A little look says there is this symbol -- on spell levels you can not cast yet. Wisdom means you get an extra spell. Not yo mention things like fireball uses 1d6 per level of caster.

So a 2nd level mage would kill all but the barbarian or thief.

Your DM is wrong 1 in the spell slot indicates how many you get at that level high wisdom gives you another 1 if you meet the prerequisite of levels.

So he get an extra 1st level spell at 1st and2nd.

An extra 2nd level spell at 3rd level

Ghost49X
2019-07-23, 07:27 PM
Back in 3.0 one of the french translated PHB had the Druid level bonuses mixed up so you started with level 5 then level 6 stats, then dropped down to level 1 and 2 after gaining a few levels. It made for some awkward games until we spotted the typo.