PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tips with a very flexible character building homebrew

Equinox90
2019-06-26, 11:36 AM
I'm playing in a long campaign where leveling is slow and the world is generally lower power level. Basically its hard to get magic items and some magic is restricted. For example, teleportation magic and speed enhancing magic/abilities are removed from the game. And infinite flight from magic is also gone (unless its part of the creature itself).

But I come to you because I am creating a cohort for my current character (level 4, cohort lvl2). The rest of the party is 3, so my cohort should stack up. However, we have a VERY flexible character creation kit the DM is using. Basically we use the NPC classes (Spellcaster, Expert, Warrior) and instead of swapping the bonus feat for a set list of abilities, we can swap it instead for any ability from a Class or PRC class you qualify for from all of 3.5 or 3.0. For example, you could take Turn Undead and Sneak Attack as a level 2 Expert. This is obviously a breakable system so I am attempting to use the flexibility purely for flavor and maybe to make slightly better versions of weak core classes.

It should also be noted that the world our characters operate in puts a large emphasis on out of combat utility and skills. We do combat each session but the bulk of our ability to progress as a group relies on our ability to solve out of combat problems with unique solutions.

Fluff wise I'm attempting to make a body guard who is posh and proper. Since my main is a merchant obsessed with public opinion and acting wealthier than he is. So, currently I'm thinking of making a Lvl 2 Expert with Sneak Attack and Spellstealing (From the Spellthief). With plans to take 1 level in Warrior next level and grab Insightful Strike from swashbuckler. This will give the cohort a fencer fighting style with some good utility in magical stealing. My feats will be focusing on poisons (since this is a human dominated campaign poisons should get good use). But I was wondering what class abilities or feats would make for a good anti-mage type character. Not counting mettle from Hexblade since this character has a low charisma.

Thanks for taking the time! I know this is alot of information and sort of a weird character building puzzle.