PDA

View Full Version : Which of these templates should I use?

Yogibear41
2019-06-26, 02:42 PM
Starting a new upcoming game soon and was wondering what people thought about which one of these templates I should use, but first a bit about the game itself. Lots of 3rd party stuff below:

It will be in a d20 modern setting with lower magic, spells up to 5th level, any magic item more or less that can be made with those spells, with level related effects capping around a +3 bonus (+3 armor/weapons, +3 deflection bonus, +3 natural armor bonus, etc.)

Guns exist with handguns doing 2d6 or 2d8 damage, and some larger rifles doing up to 2d12.

I want my character to be focused on natural weapons, and would like to be able to do comparable damage to someone full attacking with a gun at higher levels.

We are using LA buy off per Unearthed Arcana, Here are the 3 possible template options:

For +1 la:
2 claw attacks, 1 bite attack, scaling natural armor bonus = to my HD. Damage reduction starting at 5/cold iron or good, scaling to 10 at 6 HD, and then becoming Cold Iron AND good at 11 HD.
Immune to Poison and Electricity, Resistance 10 to fire, cold, and acid.

For +2 la:
the same as the above template, but gain wings with a fly speed of 50ft and (good) maneuverability.

For +3 la:
+6 str, +2 dex, +4 con, +2 int, +2 cha
2 claw attacks, 1 bite attack,
Fly speed = to ground movement speed (30 feet) (avg maneuverability)
+5 natural armor (does not scale)
Damage reduction starting at 5/good and increasing to 10/good at 12 HD.
Immune to Poison, Resistance 10 to Acid, Cold, Fire and Electricity.

I can take a feat to gain wings to fly at my base land speed if I do not pick one of the templates with flying. I plan to take a feat to give me a tail slam attack, as well as a feat that lets me use my wings as natural weapons as well. Claw attacks will be primary everything else will be secondary. By base rolled ability scores are 16, 16, 16, 15, 11, 10 before being modified by templates. I can probably get a +6 belt of giant strength, and a +3 amulet of might fists, but unsure of other magic items to boost my combat ability.

The first two templates will give me a much higher armor class at higher levels, but my ability scores will be significantly lower. I have no idea how long this campaign will last or to what level it will go too.

PraxisVetli
2019-06-27, 03:25 AM
Which class(es) are you looking at?
Some builds care about ability scores more than others.

Particle_Man
2019-06-27, 09:00 AM
I would go for the +2 la one. If enemies have guns and you want to use natural attacks you need to be able to get to melee range ASAP so that you can bring your claws to the gunfight. Flight 50’ is sweet!

MisterKaws
2019-06-27, 09:25 AM
That +3 isn't worth it unless you start at very high levels, and even then might not be.

If you can get fly that easily, might as well go with +1 and buyoff sooner.