PDA

View Full Version : A long long time ago

kleinfehn
2007-10-07, 09:08 PM
Ah yes, DnD, one of the most famous pen and paper games. Dozens and dozens of classes with hundreds of books about and based off it. Good old 3.5 edition has served everyone well and version 4.0 is coming out soon. But I have a horrible secret to tell you all which will disgust you.

I play 1st edition.

Yes, in the world I play, we don't have these "feats" or those half elf/orc monk pirate swashbuckler magic user who has six point feat things in drinking. No, we have stats, we have magical items and if we are lucky we can sometimes gain a wish spell to make us grow stronger. But kleinfehn you may ask, why play in 1st edition when you can play in our super special awesome 3.5628 edition?

Because the group I play likes the basics. Our DM has been doing his job for 25 years now, adding a bit of stuff from the later editions(such as natural 20s and 1s), some monsters and some mechanics so it is sort of like 2.0 but it is simple still. The world of Tenne(what we call the place we play) is older then me.

Our DM has created every dungeon we play by hand over these years and each of them are different. He doesn't go by these "buy a book of a dungeon". Even though our world is 25 years old he still adds some touches so each new generation of players if they are lucky will actually find this new stuff.

Now, let me tell you a bit about Tenne. Tenne is a magical world that takes place in an unknown period of time. When we have tried to put where it would be technology wise based on our world time we couldn't find a time period since some parts of life are stuck in the dark ages while others reach hundreds of years bast the renaissance.

Our levels are not super high compared to some people's worlds here. Our highest level character that we known in our world is a level 13 NPC mage. The highest PC character is a level 10/11 fighter/theif who is an elf(level mistake, he was supposed to stop at level 7 for fighter but it was a mess up that we haven't fixed).

My character at the moment is a level 4 fighter human who's greatest treasure is a +2 sword. Our guild(basically the newest generation of players) do have items such as a bag of holding, boots of levitation and others but those are pooled items.

Our allignment is required to be good in the world(he is a scout leader and he doesn't want some 12 year old to go killing towns of people) and most characters are either fighters, magic users, clerics, and thiefs.

Yes, some of you won't even get out of bed without a good old second edition, and you may laugh at our low levels and some of our restrictions but we like it and we have fun.

Also, sorry for some of my mistakes in my post, I am on some really trippy medicine and I feel like I can see sound so cut me some slack.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-07, 09:12 PM
That is cool for you, but I don't see the point of talking like the new editions of the game are somehow inferior. If you enjoy what you play, play it. It doesn't matter what anyone else plays. I like 3.x, so do the people I play with. We have the books and a world which has been converted from 1e and is older than me as well. It doesn't matter what you play as long as you're having fun.

You condencending tone is not appreciated.

Lord_Gareth
2007-10-07, 09:16 PM
I have to agree - there's no need to attack newer editions. I never played 1st ed myself, but I grew up playing 2nd, and I love and value all the edition's differences. A lot of the things you describe up there - such as lovingly handcrafted dungeons - are still possible and indeed often done.

Do I personally prefer 3.5? Yeah. It's got a lot more variety, a lot more options for characters and the ability to accomodate unusual concepts. But do I miss things from 2nd ed, like the loving and detailed description of every monster from combat to the cycle of reproduction to things you can do with its internal organs? Hell yeah I do (I adapt most of that material, by the way).

The moral - play what's fun, but nobody likes a hater.

kleinfehn
2007-10-07, 09:28 PM
Sorry, didn't mean seem that I hate the new editions, in fact I bet I would like them if I played that edition I was more trying to make fun of those type of games that change maybe one thing, slap a new sticker on it and add another number to its hundredths spot.

Pronounceable
2007-10-08, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately there are very few DMs who can or will spend that much effort on a campaign world. I'll bet that much effort will make any game system extremely enjoyable.

That aside, I did like your tone. You sounded a little like Roy.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-08, 10:53 AM
I think he's not making fun at newest editions, but poking newest edition players that makes fun of others editions.
Good for you, kleinfehn. Nice to hear some people from the 1st edition, when everyone else is freaking out with the 3.5 -> 4E transition.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-08, 10:55 AM
I personally was not that familiar with the older editions of DnD... I do enjoy 3.5 and am so 'dedicated' to it that I will probably not play the new edition. Mostly because I do not have the several hundred bucks just laying around to get all new books and e-Dragon Magazine(s) (that is what I am calling it :smallconfused: ). Apology accepted; I was happy to see that this did not turn into a flame war.