PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building a one-shot Sorlock

Garhi
2019-06-26, 06:32 PM
I have a level 20 one-shot coming up that's going to be "about 95% combat." I figured it'd be a great time to try out a Sorlock but I'm having trouble nailing down some of the final choices.

Race: Half-Elf
Class: Divine Soul 17/Hexblade 3
Rolled stats: 10/14/17/12/12/17
Post-Racial stats: 10/15/18/12/12/19
Feats: Elven Accuracy, Warcaster, Resilient: Dex, ????
Metamagic: Quicken, Twinned, Subtle, ????
Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight
Pact: ????

Warlock spells:
1st) Hex, Shield
2nd) Darkness, Misty Step

Sorc Spells I'm pretty set on:
1st) Bless, Absorb Elements, Healing Word
2nd) -
3rd) Counterspell, Fireball
4th) Greater Invisiblity
5th) -
6th) Heal
7th) -
8th) -
9th) -

Sorc spells I'm on the fence about:
1st) Featherfall
2nd) Scorching Ray, Hold Person
3rd) Haste, Dispel Magic
4th) Dimension Door, Polymorph
5th) Cone of Cold, Greater Restoration, Hold Monster
6th) Chain Lightning, Disintegrate
7th) -
8th) -
9th) Wish, Mass Heal, Meteor Swarm

For my final feat I've been leaning towards one of the following: Lucky, Inspiring Leader, Mobile, Spell Sniper, Tough, Medium Armor Master

I'm also thinking of swapping the racial and resilient feat from Dex to Wis, since Wis is my biggest vulnerability right now and I'd still have Absorb Elements to help with incoming spell damage.

The rest of the party is a Paladin or possibly Sorcadin, Monk 17/Rogue 3, and possibly a Ranger

We get 1 very rare, 1 rare, and 1 uncommon item to start, but can't pick weapons. I'm leaning towards Illusionist's Bracers, Mantle of Spell Resistance, and a Shield +1

Anyone have thoughts to help me narrow down spell selection and final feat/metamagic/pact choice? Also open to suggestions on better magic items to take.

I'm also not entirely sold on halfplate + shield conceptually, but it's 3+ AC that I'd be giving up by going with something else.

bid
2019-06-26, 07:04 PM
For my final feat I've been leaning towards one of the following: Lucky, Inspiring Leader, Mobile, Spell Sniper, Tough, Medium Armor Master.
+1AC is unimpressive, +40 hp is not as good as +25 thp on everyone, every short rest.

You didn't list your cantrips, that's another important point.

Keravath
2019-06-26, 07:20 PM
I'd suggest winged boots or something similar as your uncommon. Increased mobility options are very useful for dealing with a wide variety of problems.

You would also appear to be the only arcane caster in the party which might be a consideration in your spell choices.

For example, I think Wall of Force is probably too useful and versatile to not take and it isn't on your list.

You will have at most two level 9 spells so one of those should probably be Wish since it is extremely versatile and depending one which spell you decide to cast with it, you could twin it.

Garhi
2019-06-26, 08:07 PM
Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Guidance, Ray of Frost, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame, Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand

I'd suggest winged boots or something similar as your uncommon. Increased mobility options are very useful for dealing with a wide variety of problems.

You would also appear to be the only arcane caster in the party which might be a consideration in your spell choices.

For example, I think Wall of Force is probably too useful and versatile to not take and it isn't on your list.

You will have at most two level 9 spells so one of those should probably be Wish since it is extremely versatile and depending one which spell you decide to cast with it, you could twin it.

I already get flight from the Divine Soul level 14 feature, and Wall of Force is only on the Wizard spell list. I'm definitely leaning towards Wish as one of my level 9 spells.

Swosh
2019-06-26, 09:40 PM
If your planning to take Resilent: WIS i would consider starting as a Warlock instead of Sorcerer and picking up Resilent: CON. That way you gain a few HP extra from starting as a lock, you go from 17 CON to 18 CON and you keep the same saving throw proficiency's (CON/WIS/CHA).

4th Metamagic option: Careful spell (Very strong to avoid friendly fire).

Some spell suggestions to consider:

Hypnotic Pattern: Works very well with careful spell to avoid friendly fire.
Death Ward: Avoid Nasty effects like Power Word Kill among others.
Sypnatic Static: Same damage as a fireball but has a few advantages: INT is normally the best save to target, Psychic damage is less resisted and an added Bane-like effect (Also works with Careful spell for the Bane-like effect)
Banishment/Hold Monster (Pick only 1): Works well against a few strong enemies (No legendary resistances). Quickened + Upcast for best effect.
Mass Suggestion: Targets many creatures convincing them to join your party/or run away. Slightly DM dependent.

As for those spells you are considering: Wish (A must have - Combo with Simulacrum for crazy effects), Dimension Door, Mass Heal, Meteor Swarm are all good spells. Feather Fall is a situational spell. Dispel Magic can be useful but, would be preferable if the Paladin picks up instead.

I would strongly advise against picking too many single target spells (You already have Eldrich Blast) particularly save or suck spells like Disintegrate that targets only 1 creature. Also, Hold Person is extremely limited as most of the creatures you meet late game will be monsters and Polymorph scales poorly and will not be effective at lvl 20.

Depending on your campaign and your party composition you might also need a resurrection spell or a plane shift/teleportation spell.

Garhi
2019-06-26, 10:45 PM
If your planning to take Resilent: WIS i would consider starting as a Warlock instead of Sorcerer and picking up Resilent: CON. That way you gain a few HP extra from starting as a lock, you go from 17 CON to 18 CON and you keep the same saving throw proficiency's (CON/WIS/CHA).

Starting as Warlock and taking Resilient CON would leave me with two odd stats though, so I'd be gaining 2 hp but losing +1 from my Wis modifier, that strikes me as a really bad trade.

Good thoughts on spells, thanks.