PDA

View Full Version : monster types

slexlollar89
2007-10-07, 09:24 PM
I know th monster types list BAB, skills, HD, and other things, then also list things that most creatures of that type posses (like fast healing or DR).

my question is, can a creature of say, the fey type, have better than 1/2 BAB, even though the fey type entry says otherwise?

Dullyanna
2007-10-07, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure they can, whether through class levels or if their description says otherwise.

reorith
2007-10-07, 09:44 PM
not really. having certain hit dice, certain save progressions and other stuff gives something a type will never change.

that being said, if you're the dm and you think that something should be altered, you have every right to.

adanedhel9
2007-10-07, 10:54 PM
Monster hit dice are, in theory, just like class levels. So, if you can find a way to give a rogue full BAB without giving him levels in anything other than rogue, you have your answer.

More seriously, though, as a DM, monsters are whatever you want them to be. BAB doesn't really help most monsters (they don't get extra attacks from high BAB), so why not just give it a bonus on attack roles as some sort of special abilitY? If you need the BAB for extra attacks, just give the thing extra attacks. If you want it to qualify for a particular feat, just give it the feat as a bonus feat or give it an equivalent special ability.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-08, 06:17 AM
Sure. Give the Fey levels in Fighter. :smallsmile:

If a Fey has only one racial hit die, you replace it with class levels (just like humanoids). I think it's only Humanoids and Fey that do that, for some reason...

If you're making your own Fey, give them abilities that scale with HD and then give them a hefty LA and lots of class levels, and you're done.

slexlollar89
2007-10-08, 01:12 PM
what do you all smart forum gods think of this?

3/4 BAB
d6 HD
low light vision
augmented 5d6 eldritch blast (250ft range, x3 crit)
diminutive build (medium for benificial purposes, small otherwise)
base speed 40ft, fly 80
regeneration 1/ acid, fire, cold, electricity

yes, it is the troll type regeneration

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-08, 01:14 PM
what do you all smart forum gods think of this?

3/4 BAB
d6 HD
low light vision
augmented 5d6 eldritch blast (250ft range, x3 crit)
diminutive build (medium for benificial purposes, small otherwise)
base speed 40ft, fly 80
regeneration 1/ acid, fire, cold, electricity

yes, it is the troll type regeneration

They think "if you want to make a Warlock with the Fey type, you should just make a 1 HD Fey and give her Warlock levels".

slexlollar89
2007-10-08, 01:25 PM
I thought of that, bt wanted to create a fey that actually uses eldritch blast. Thats also the justification for the fact that the fey's blast is more powerful (uniluted through blood). I want to steer cleer of class levels.

Yuki Akuma
2007-10-08, 01:26 PM
No class levels? No 3/4 BaB.

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 03:11 PM
If a Fey has only one racial hit die, you replace it with class levels (just like humanoids). I think it's only Humanoids and Fey that do that, for some reason...This is the case for all creatures with 1 or less RHD.

No class levels? No 3/4 BaB.Indeed.

If a higher attack bonus for the creature is really needed, give it a racial bonus on attack rolls with its eldritch blast instead.