PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for Cheap items

OGDojo
2019-06-27, 01:55 AM
okay, so this always happens to everyone.

Your building a character and you get to your items,
Armor? Check
Weapon? Check
Secondary Weapon? Check
Shield? Check
Unlimited food and drink? Check
Ammo if needed? Check

now you have 500 or less GP left and nothing to really spend it on.
What do you buy? Chalk? Marbles? Caltrops? Battering Ram? a horse?
a Mule? Saddlebags? A cart?
what are some ideas that you have for mundane items that cost less than 500 GP that any adventurer would find useful?
Every book is on the table from both D&D 3.5 AND pathfinder

Please leave your posts as a list that looks somewhat like this.
(item) (Cost) (Weight) (Reason for your purchase)
If you can make a table that would work too and here are some of my choices

Item
Cost
Weight
Reason

Backpack
2gp
2lb
Its always nice to have some extra space on your person

Bedroll
1sp
5lbs
cuz you dont have to sleep on the ground like an ape

Blanket
5sp
3lbs
cuz it gets cold out at night, buy one for a friend so you dont have to mess with silver pieces

Crowbar
2gp
5lbs
AKA skeleton key, use to pry open doors, locks, or chests of all sizes

Lock/Amazing
150gp
1lb
lock a door behind you, or lock your friends armor on them. useful in so many ways

Grappling Hook w/ rope
2gp
14lbs
Climbs walls, tie up your enemies (or friends) or use it to pull people out of danger.

Torches x10
1sp
10lbs
use it for those muggles who dont have darkvision

Iron Pot
5sp
10lbs
trap checker 3000 it drops onto floor plates and makes sure your path is safer than other paths.

Writing stuff
13gp 1sp
weighs nothing
25 parchment, 1 ink pen, 1 vial of ink. use to scribe spells, make maps, or write on them and stuff them into the mouths of enemies so you can make a corny joke about putting words in their mouths.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-06-27, 05:19 AM
Hmm. The last character I outfitted (level 3) had the following:

angel radiance (20/—)
bedroll (1/5)
belt pouch (1/½)
bit and bridle (2/1)
bolas (5/2)
desert outfit (6/3)
2 days’ feed (.1/20)
flint and steel (1/—)
1 oz. ink (8/—)
ink pen (.1/—)
10 insectbane candles (1/—)
2 sheets paper (.8/—)
sling (—/0)
magebred war camel (900 gp)
masterwork military saddle (70/30)
scroll case (1/½)
travel cloak (1200/1)
masterwork tool of Tumble (50/1)
50’ silk rope (10/5)
saddlebags (4/8)
6 pp, 12 gp, 18 sp, 20 cp (cash weight: 1.12 lb)

Probably could've added a few more sheets of paper, or, more generally, more copies of everything with weight —. And some extra change, but coins are heavy.

Check out Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)). That's where I got the angel radiance and insectbane candles from.

MisterKaws
2019-06-27, 06:14 AM
I know it's cheesy, but it's not uncommon to see people using lead or riverine-lined giant baskets. A second option is to use those 500 gp to buy a large lead cone and then shrink it yourself to use it as a hat if you're a mage. It's one of the best and cheapest defensive solutions for mages early game.

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-27, 07:26 AM
Shapesand is always handy. As are partial wands and alchemicals.

Rijan_Sai
2019-06-27, 10:36 AM
Shapesand is always handy.

This! If Sandstorm is on the table, my first leftover 1p (at least) is going into shapesand! Basically every non-liquid/alchemical/magical item you would ever need (and potentially a backup weapon, too!)

schreier
2019-06-27, 10:45 AM
Marbles!
Grease in a bag

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-27, 01:45 PM
This! If Sandstorm is on the table, my first leftover 1p (at least) is going into shapesand! Basically every non-liquid/alchemical/magical item you would ever need (and potentially a backup weapon, too!)

Ah! Finally, someone else with refined taste :smallsmile:

OGDojo
2019-06-27, 02:47 PM
so i edited this up top so that there isnt any confusion but,
Everything is available for pathfinder AND D&D 3.5 since my group likes to mingle the two together.

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-27, 09:46 PM
so i edited this up top so that there isnt any confusion but,
Everything is available for pathfinder AND D&D 3.5 since my group likes to mingle the two together.

Neat! Im not too familiar with PF, but I have found 2 things that have stood out to me.

1- their is a drug that is basically coffee, and a great way to get around fatigue. Ive used it to off set troll blooded before.

2- fire poi are nifly weapons. They give you twf so long as you are using a set of them.

OGDojo
2019-06-28, 08:23 AM
yeah its a pretty sweet deal

Fire Poi?? what book are those in? i would love to give my ranger two weapon fighting AND archery stuff, and those blades sound like they would help alot

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-28, 10:15 AM
yeah its a pretty sweet deal

Fire Poi?? what book are those in? i would love to give my ranger two weapon fighting AND archery stuff, and those blades sound like they would help alot

I dunno what book. Found them on the pathfinder site though. Alsi they ain't blades. Look up fire poi on youtube its neat!