PDA

View Full Version : Best Deflect Missiles Story

Moltenbrisingr
2019-06-27, 02:19 PM
Like the title says, your best story where you (or someone else) was playing a monk and used deflect missiles to awesome effect.

For my part I once caught a ballista bolt as a Minotaur monk and used it to impale a nearby fire giant giving the druid trouble. There was also the time my ranger buddy used me as a ricochet point to kill a guy around a corner.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-06-27, 03:24 PM
Party is on a flying ship being attacked by Gargoyles, ally throws a net at the monk, monk deflects it and hits a Gargoyle, and the gargoyle falls from the sky and shatters on the ground.

RedMage125
2019-06-27, 04:15 PM
Open Hand Monk in my game was the target of a boulder thrown by an ogre. His Deflect Missiles ability reduced the damage to 0, but I ruled that the boulder was too large for him to return to the ogre.

So I ruled that he shattered the boulder with a single blow, akin to the Breaking Point Technique (Bakusai Tenketsu for you Ranma 1/2 fans).

Moltenbrisingr
2019-06-27, 04:41 PM
Open Hand Monk in my game was the target of a boulder thrown by an ogre. His Deflect Missiles ability reduced the damage to 0, but I ruled that the boulder was too large for him to return to the ogre.

So I ruled that he shattered the boulder with a single blow, akin to the Breaking Point Technique (Bakusai Tenketsu for you Ranma 1/2 fans).

That rock should have known better

Moltenbrisingr
2019-06-27, 04:42 PM
Party is on a flying ship being attacked by Gargoyles, ally throws a net at the monk, monk deflects it and hits a Gargoyle, and the gargoyle falls from the sky and shatters on the ground.

I had never considered nets as something a monk can deflect. Are monks Net-Proof??

BMF
2019-06-27, 04:51 PM
Weird West campaign I was running - one of my players managed to get themselves in an ol' fashioned high noon gunslinger duel. He calmly stood his ground, caught the bullet, and whipped it back at the other guy, to the great amazement of the town.

It was really fun.

Dungeon-noob
2019-06-27, 04:52 PM
I had never considered nets as something a monk can deflect. Are monks Net-Proof??
Only once per round, costs reaction. So sort of? I think they're pretty good at escaping nets anyway, but this trick only works once/round.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-06-27, 05:07 PM
Only once per round, costs reaction. So sort of? I think they're pretty good at escaping nets anyway, but this trick only works once/round.

If nets are being thrown at you more than once a round your character isn't living life properly.

Weird West campaign I was running - one of my players managed to get themselves in an ol' fashioned high noon gunslinger duel. He calmly stood his ground, caught the bullet, and whipped it back at the other guy, to the great amazement of the town.

It was really fun.

That is awesome. Very Ozymandias.

Misterwhisper
2019-06-27, 06:39 PM
In a drunken bar brawl the party got into my drunken master monk just wanted to chill and drink so he stumbled and staggered to the bar just as someone threw a stool at him.

Without looking her just raised his hand, caught it out of the air and sat on it drinking while the rest of the bar was in chaos.

Same guy, while pinned behind a half wall by a collection of archers with our rogue, the rogue ran out of arrows.

For the next 5 turns I stood up and readied my action to go prone after deflecting the first arrow.

Stand up
Get shot
Grab arrow
Hand it to the rogue to shoot back.

We killed 4 people that way.

Lunali
2019-06-27, 07:23 PM

On top of being net-proof, if targeted with a net, they can deflect it farther than its normal range and inflict damage when they hit with it.

In a drunken bar brawl the party got into my drunken master monk just wanted to chill and drink so he stumbled and staggered to the bar just as someone threw a stool at him.

Without looking her just raised his hand, caught it out of the air and sat on it drinking while the rest of the bar was in chaos.

Same guy, while pinned behind a half wall by a collection of archers with our rogue, the rogue ran out of arrows.

For the next 5 turns I stood up and readied my action to go prone after deflecting the first arrow.

Stand up
Get shot
Grab arrow
Hand it to the rogue to shoot back.

We killed 4 people that way.

Deflecting arrows and using your ready action both use your reaction.

Huwman
2019-06-28, 07:26 AM
Party had a barrel of acid thrown at them, my four elements monk managed to catch and defect the barrel back at the grouped up enemies causing aoe damage when the barrel shattered on contact. This was one of my first monk experiences and I have really enjoyed playing this character.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-06-28, 09:29 AM
On top of being net-proof, if targeted with a net, they can deflect it farther than its normal range and inflict damage when they hit with it.

While this may be true going by RAW, I would still allow it per the rule of cool.

Damon_Tor
2019-06-28, 10:46 AM
This particular use of Deflect Missiles wasn't itself impressive, but it was a part of a good con.

Party was hired to protect a duke from assassins, and to discover who was behind the assassination attempts. We didn't know who to trust in his family/court. At one point we learned they were going to try to kill him via sniper during a particular ceremony. But rather than foil the attempt, we used it to discover who had hired him by faking the duke's death.

1. The wizard stores "Disguise Self" in a Ring of Spell Storing and passes it off to the monk.
2. The monk disguises himself as the duke and takes his place in the ceremony.
3. As expected, an assassin fires a crossbow at "the duke" from a nearby balcony. Monk catches the bolt but acts like he's been hit.
4. We drag the monk back away from the crowd while several members of the party go after the assassin.
5. Out of view, the monk ends the Disguise spell while the wizard casts "Feign Death" on the real duke. Blood is added to sell the illusion. Magic Aura is added to disguise the spell as "Gentle Repose" in case anyone can detect magic.
6. Various members of the Duke's household are allowed in to view the corpse to confirm the death and to see their reaction.
7. The wizard casts Feign Death as a ritual each hour to refresh the duration until either the funeral (when the Duke would be snuck out of the crypt) or until the mystery was solved.

The duke had one son whom he had dispossessed, two daughters whom he had married off to other nobles, as well as a variety of other relatives and the succession of his duchy wasn't clear and several people could make a case, and naturally they were our prime suspects. As the politics unfolded after the "murder" it became clear that the plot was put into motion by the guardian of one of the Duke's young cousins, who had planned to use his influence over the boy to nefarious purposes. With the suspects narrowed to one, it was a matter of finding proof and taking the matter to the King. Which, of course, we did, but I've gone well past the part where Deflect Missiles played a role so I'll wrap it up.

Misterwhisper
2019-06-28, 01:42 PM

Since I was just essentially falling down the dm let me do it anyway because it is not an action to do it normally.

Moltenbrisingr
2019-06-28, 04:56 PM
This particular use of Deflect Missiles wasn't itself impressive, but it was a part of a good con.

Party was hired to protect a duke from assassins, and to discover who was behind the assassination attempts. We didn't know who to trust in his family/court. At one point we learned they were going to try to kill him via sniper during a particular ceremony. But rather than foil the attempt, we used it to discover who had hired him by faking the duke's death.

1. The wizard stores "Disguise Self" in a Ring of Spell Storing and passes it off to the monk.
2. The monk disguises himself as the duke and takes his place in the ceremony.
3. As expected, an assassin fires a crossbow at "the duke" from a nearby balcony. Monk catches the bolt but acts like he's been hit.
4. We drag the monk back away from the crowd while several members of the party go after the assassin.
5. Out of view, the monk ends the Disguise spell while the wizard casts "Feign Death" on the real duke. Blood is added to sell the illusion. Magic Aura is added to disguise the spell as "Gentle Repose" in case anyone can detect magic.
6. Various members of the Duke's household are allowed in to view the corpse to confirm the death and to see their reaction.
7. The wizard casts Feign Death as a ritual each hour to refresh the duration until either the funeral (when the Duke would be snuck out of the crypt) or until the mystery was solved.

The duke had one son whom he had dispossessed, two daughters whom he had married off to other nobles, as well as a variety of other relatives and the succession of his duchy wasn't clear and several people could make a case, and naturally they were our prime suspects. As the politics unfolded after the "murder" it became clear that the plot was put into motion by the guardian of one of the Duke's young cousins, who had planned to use his influence over the boy to nefarious purposes. With the suspects narrowed to one, it was a matter of finding proof and taking the matter to the King. Which, of course, we did, but I've gone well past the part where Deflect Missiles played a role so I'll wrap it up.

I wish I had more chances to do this kind of thing. That's awesome

Aprender
2019-06-28, 09:44 PM
"Spies like us" is a great deflect missiles story.

Galithar
2019-06-28, 09:55 PM
In my game, Theren (my players Kensei Monk), caught an arrow from the parties Ranger to allow the party a chance to have the prescribed dialogue with the boss.

(For the record they didn't HAVE to let them talk, and it wasn't me monologuing a bad guy. It was an actual optional conversation that really didn't change anything in the long run)

The party Ranger was a known slightly problematic murder hobo and the Player of the Monk predicted this would happen and asked if he could intercept the shot before it was made. He asked me out of session as soon as they found out this person was there because he wanted answers. (Which he still didn't get :P it devolved into a philosophical debate between the party and the bad guy and the Druid said F it and attacked again)

Not the best story, but I was entertained by the amount of premeditation involved in stopping the murder hobo from stopping him from at least having the chance to ask his questions.