PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to discount this magic item?

Braininthejar2
2019-06-27, 06:36 PM
1 Situation: I have a lamp with a bad-tempered genie, trapped there by his own sultan for being a power-hungry jerk. He grants a wish a year, but since he hates imprisonment, the wishes are flawed - not the usual "jackass genie" method, but they tend to be fulfilled in a way that will attract trouble to the user in the long run.

2 The solution: I want to offer the genie a deal - get proper wishes out of him, and in return make his imprisonment way more pleasant. Since outsiders can sleep if they want to, I want to build a golden cage around the lamp, that will put him in in a lucid dream between wishes, allowing him to live out his fantasies of power.

3 The problem Assuming I can use Dream as the base spell for the effect, a conytinuous effect would cost 5x9x2000 = 90 000. 45thousands gold in materials is a major blow to my funds. If the DM rules that Dream is not enough, and I need to use my custom made 6 level programmed dream spell for the purpose, the item value would skyrocket to 132 000.

So, assuming I won't be able to get any item creation discount feats, what else can I do to reduce the cost? The nost obvious solution is making the cage stationary, but that might create some issues of its own.

heavyfuel
2019-06-27, 06:44 PM
Since we're talking about a custom Magic Item, you can maybe convince your DM to take these into consideration

Other Considerations
Once you have a final cost figure, reduce that number if either of the following conditions applies:

Item Requires Skill to Use
Some items require a specific skill to get them to function. This factor should reduce the cost about 10%.

Item Requires Specific Class or Alignment to Use
Even more restrictive than requiring a skill, this limitation cuts the cost by 30%.

Say that the item requires the user to be trained in Spellcraft for it to work, for example, and that it can only be used by Lawful Evil creatures.

That's a reduction of 33%. Pretty good already

Venger
2019-06-27, 06:49 PM
have a handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1000.0)

MisterKaws
2019-06-27, 07:29 PM
have a handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1000.0)

At this point I'm just favoriting every link you post.

Here I was trying to make this item with a 500000 gp cost cheaper and this shows up.

Morty_Jhones
2019-06-30, 06:23 PM
Well if you can't discount the price by Feats... time to turn to skills.

Gold cage - inset with jewels (to help project nice colors and images into the container

Craft Blacksmith or Gold smith (if your using specialities)
Craft Gemcutter

Discount costs cuss YOU make the parts
up to 50% off purchase price if you have the skill to make it

smaller but helpful (10% discount)
Alchemy - Knowledge of smells and perfumes.
Craft - Weapon Smith and Armour Smith might also be applicable to help with cage decor giving a small discount

Appraise, correct jewel placement and choice

the Idea being that these skills reduce wast and so help reduce cost.

Other Craft skills
might help with decor Items and transferring skills across might help reduce wast giving mabie a 1-5% depending on the skill and it's level.

denthor
2019-06-30, 11:46 PM
In form the genie use one of the wishes to make the item. Since it is for him he is less likely to pervert the attempt.