PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input into a bardbarian build.

Jmarsh56
2019-06-27, 06:36 PM
I am planning to put together a bard barbarian multiclass that will cast spells that can either be explained by a supernatural physical improvement (Longstrider or cure wounds) or using intimidation or persuasion supernaturally well (charm person & friends)

I am torn between a Zealot who serves Kord and explains his thunder spells and other stuff as minor miracles produced by Kord and an Ancestral Guardian who explains all his spells as his spirit ancestors interfering with the battle in some way (bane for example and well to be honest I haven't put quite as much thought into this one...)

But I am thinking Lore Bard to increase the amount of spells I will have access to and get access to cutting words.

Any input into a level split or suggested spells is greatly appreciated. I realize this is a totally not optimized build but I am wanting to make sure I get the most out of it.

Wildarm
2019-06-27, 07:24 PM
I am planning to put together a bard barbarian multiclass that will cast spells that can either be explained by a supernatural physical improvement (Longstrider or cure wounds) or using intimidation or persuasion supernaturally well (charm person & friends)

I am torn between a Zealot who serves Kord and explains his thunder spells and other stuff as minor miracles produced by Kord and an Ancestral Guardian who explains all his spells as his spirit ancestors interfering with the battle in some way (bane for example and well to be honest I haven't put quite as much thought into this one...)

But I am thinking Lore Bard to increase the amount of spells I will have access to and get access to cutting words.

Any input into a level split or suggested spells is greatly appreciated. I realize this is a totally not optimized build but I am wanting to make sure I get the most out of it.

Bardbarians make excellent grapplers. Make sure you work it into the build. Main issue you'll face is that you will be very MAD so unless you're rolling for stats you'll end up doing most things poorly. Basically need 14 str/14 dex/14 con/14 cha at a minimum. It can work but getting a 16 in at least strength or charisma is better. You can then focus on melee or casting as your strength at higher levels. Early on you can just have fun mixing both.

Barb 1/Lore Bard X or Barb 5/Lore Bard X are probably the two ways to build it. It's a hard tradeoff though. You either give up extra attack or spell progression. I personally like Barb 1/Hexblade1/Bard X as it gives you armor or agathys, much less MAD and an SCAG cantrip like booming blade to make the lack of extra attack more palatable.

Jmarsh56
2019-06-27, 07:52 PM
Bardbarians make excellent grapplers. Make sure you work it into the build. Main issue you'll face is that you will be very MAD so unless you're rolling for stats you'll end up doing most things poorly. Basically need 14 str/14 dex/14 con/14 cha at a minimum. It can work but getting a 16 in at least strength or charisma is better. You can then focus on melee or casting as your strength at higher levels. Early on you can just have fun mixing both.

Barb 1/Lore Bard X or Barb 5/Lore Bard X are probably the two ways to build it. It's a hard tradeoff though. You either give up extra attack or spell progression. I personally like Barb 1/Hexblade1/Bard X as it gives you armor or agathys, much less MAD and an SCAG cantrip like booming blade to make the lack of extra attack more palatable.

I was able to talk my DM into 16 14 16 6/8 8/6 14 (not sure what I want to truly dump yet int or wis but one will be 6 one will be 8, and I actually want to low stats there its not just a byproduct of needing the points elsewhere) as a half orc. I MAY go Vuman with a similar stat array and take tavern brawler to bring the stats in line with the half orc. But the more I look at it the more I just like the half orc both in flavor and mechanics... But I am definately planning to grapple as needed.

I don't want to dip for power at all as that is something I am typically guilty of and I am trying to get away from that. Plus I don't think you can use the hexblade thing while raging as it has to be a strength attack, but I will eventually end up fighting while not raging so I can concentrate on some spells if needed.

I have gone through looking at spells that fit my criteria and as far as I can really see it working with how I want to explain things is 6 levels of bard. So that leaves me with 14 levels to play with (not that I see this guy getting to 20 just a fun exercise) probably straight barbarian from there.

Snowbluff
2019-06-27, 10:28 PM
Lore Bards can cast Aid and Armor of Agathys by itself. With a good slot progression, AoA can do huge amounts of damage by simply staying on so long thanks to resistance. Aid is super nice because it can help 3 members of your team, and it doesn't have an obvious effect.

In my opinion, more slots is better even when you're you're going to be meleeing most of the time. You can up cast Aid and AoA quite substantially. However, Warlock has a nasty habit lopping off a spell slot level, so even in an optimized build I probably wouldn't use it for this specific purpose.

Synaptic Static might work, as well. Just be really scary then the enemies fight worse, or haunt them with spirits. For a concentration spell, Fear might fit the bill.

Wildarm
2019-06-28, 09:09 AM
I was able to talk my DM into 16 14 16 6/8 8/6 14 (not sure what I want to truly dump yet int or wis but one will be 6 one will be 8, and I actually want to low stats there its not just a byproduct of needing the points elsewhere) as a half orc. I MAY go Vuman with a similar stat array and take tavern brawler to bring the stats in line with the half orc. But the more I look at it the more I just like the half orc both in flavor and mechanics... But I am definately planning to grapple as needed.

I don't want to dip for power at all as that is something I am typically guilty of and I am trying to get away from that. Plus I don't think you can use the hexblade thing while raging as it has to be a strength attack, but I will eventually end up fighting while not raging so I can concentrate on some spells if needed.

I have gone through looking at spells that fit my criteria and as far as I can really see it working with how I want to explain things is 6 levels of bard. So that leaves me with 14 levels to play with (not that I see this guy getting to 20 just a fun exercise) probably straight barbarian from there.

Hadn't thought of the hexblade/rage interaction but to be honest, a Bardbarian is not going to rage very much. You're pretty much only going to do it when you are going to grapple someone. The rest of the time you function as more of a pure caster or maybe a gish.

Don't underestimate how powerful a near full caster who has access to upcast Armor of Agathys, Rage and cutting words. The main issue is you still need to be a threat while raging or enemies won't attack you. I don't know of any really effective way to do that beyond occupying a choke hole and tanking hits. It's just really hard to be a controller without more levels of barbarian(Ancestral Guardian) or being able to cast spells(Poach Spirit Guardians). You won't have many rages per day so maybe taking advantage of positioning effective often enough. Imagine an ice covered half orc standing in a doorway, spewing insults to those who would dare raise a hand against him. A pile of frozen bodies at his feet.

Nhorianscum
2019-06-28, 09:18 AM
https://mfov.magehandpress.com/2018/02/bardbarian.html?m=1

Just gonna leave this here....