PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Suggestions on hexblade eladrin

Ghghj2
2019-06-27, 07:34 PM
I intend to play as this eladrin hexblade called Ayan in my next sessions. it's a new campaign, and the story is Ayan fell in love with a drow he saw in a vision, and this drow seemed different from the rest and was in distress. Ayan then searched for help from fellow fey, but since it was about a drow, none helped. He then pleaded to the raven queen, who agreed, being interest in the story unfolding. Do you guys have any ideas that could fit this scenario? Any tips in roleplaying this role? Thanks in advance.

Particle_Man
2019-06-27, 09:22 PM
Clearly this drow is a ranger that uses two weapon fighting. :smallsmile:

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-28, 12:01 PM
I intend to play as this eladrin hexblade called Ayan in my next sessions. it's a new campaign, and the story is Ayan fell in love with a drow he saw in a vision, and this drow seemed different from the rest and was in distress. Ayan then searched for help from fellow fey, but since it was about a drow, none helped. He then pleaded to the raven queen, who agreed, being interest in the story unfolding. Do you guys have any ideas that could fit this scenario? Any tips in roleplaying this role? Thanks in advance.

So he fell in love with someone he saw in a vision, then tried to request some help, to the point where he beseeched a divine being for assistance, even when everyone (his friends, family) denied him. Sounds like a very passionate guy. Overly passionate. So make him so. He's an Eladrin, so being over the top should come fairly naturally.

Make him pretty-boy, not-sure-if-he's-"eccentric"-or-joking levels of flamboyance. He takes himself very seriously, even if the things he's serious about aren't things OTHER people are serious about. Eladrin are very complicated and hard to understand for mortals, and he was misunderstood by ELADRIN, so this guy is kind of weird, even amidst the weirdos.

So maybe he makes a song about the heroics of the survivors in the orphanage (only based on the fact that it made him sad passing by because it made him think of orphans), or maybe he weeps when he sees a hungry dog before swearing FIERY VENGEANCE ON THOSE WHO CAUSED SUCH TREACHERY . Maybe he verses a monologue about how terrible his breakfast tea is, but finishes it only because he's bewildered at how much worse it tastes with every sip, like a horror movie.

All of the intensity of a Paladin, but all of the hilarity of a Bard. He takes himself too seriously, but the humor relieves the party of the tension.

Evaar
2019-06-28, 03:30 PM
I play an Eladrin Hexblade myself, though my pact is with the Queen of Air & Darkness (reflavored not to just be chaotic evil, and obviously not using Fey Pact). A few ways you could go with this. Assuming Forgotten Realms setting here.

1) If the drow in your vision is good aligned, then she will have some sympathy from Eilistraee. Your vision might have been sent to you by Eilistraee. Why did she choose you? Maybe she saw that you were sympathetic and hoped you'd get others on your side. In seeing that that didn't happen, maybe she made a pact with you directly in the hopes that she could do so with more subtlety than making you a paladin. Some of her portfolios are "dance," "moonlight," and "swordwork." It won't take much flavoring to say your powers come from her.

2) If the drow in your vision isn't good aligned, your character may be the subject of a plot. The entity you made your pact with could be any number of dark forces, possibly in direct employ of the drow.

3) If the drow in your vision isn't actually a drow, see #2, you pact might be directly with her without you realizing it. Maybe there is no drow, and the vision was just to trick you into entering the Underdark.

4) If your pact isn't with anyone related to the drow, it could be with someone who's hoping to manipulate you. You went to the other fey (presumably Seelie) and tried to get them to help this drow. They refused. An Unseelie fey might see offering help as a good way to get you to switch sides and join them. Or a hag might see a probable tragic outcome on the horizon and she only gave you power so it would come to pass - maybe she thinks you'll succeed in saving the drow only to be rejected by the other eladrin when you return, and then you'll use your new powers to attack them.

In any of these cases, I would say you should play your character as a storybook hero. Eladrin are the elves most tied to the Feywild, so they're the most likely to live out faerie tales. Your character sees reality through that lens. That might mean he's a bit gullible and prone to seeing morality in black and white. Or it could mean he's extremely driven and prone to hubris. Whatever sounds compelling. Don't be afraid to look to your favorite fantasy and faerie stories for inspiration, this is the kind of character that lives life as an archetype.

Nhorianscum
2019-06-28, 04:10 PM
I'd 100% play this as not knowing who or what my patron is. To the point where my Eldarin Suitor of this lovely drow lady is unaware of the pact entirely, believing that love itself is a domain that allows his uncontrollable passion to manifest as magic.

I'd slowly ratchet up the level of obsession with drowgirl, and loosen the Eldarins grasp on reality over time until he finally meets his imagined betrothed. A Yoochol of Looth, a handmaiden of his patron. Which is A-OK with this dude by the end of his voyage. Wedding bells, happy ending!

Nothing beats a CE bachelor party~

Ghghj2
2019-06-28, 08:02 PM
So he fell in love with someone he saw in a vision, then tried to request some help, to the point where he beseeched a divine being for assistance, even when everyone (his friends, family) denied him. Sounds like a very passionate guy. Overly passionate. So make him so. He's an Eladrin, so being over the top should come fairly naturally.

Make him pretty-boy, not-sure-if-he's-"eccentric"-or-joking levels of flamboyance. He takes himself very seriously, even if the things he's serious about aren't things OTHER people are serious about. Eladrin are very complicated and hard to understand for mortals, and he was misunderstood by ELADRIN, so this guy is kind of weird, even amidst the weirdos.

So maybe he makes a song about the heroics of the survivors in the orphanage (only based on the fact that it made him sad passing by because it made him think of orphans), or maybe he weeps when he sees a hungry dog before swearing FIERY VENGEANCE ON THOSE WHO CAUSED SUCH TREACHERY . Maybe he verses a monologue about how terrible his breakfast tea is, but finishes it only because he's bewildered at how much worse it tastes with every sip, like a horror movie.

All of the intensity of a Paladin, but all of the hilarity of a Bard. He takes himself too seriously, but the humor relieves the party of the tension.

I really had the idea of him being overly passionate about everything, but your take on it was really clear thanks a lot!

Ghghj2
2019-06-28, 08:06 PM
I play an Eladrin Hexblade myself, though my pact is with the Queen of Air & Darkness (reflavored not to just be chaotic evil, and obviously not using Fey Pact). A few ways you could go with this. Assuming Forgotten Realms setting here.

1) If the drow in your vision is good aligned, then she will have some sympathy from Eilistraee. Your vision might have been sent to you by Eilistraee. Why did she choose you? Maybe she saw that you were sympathetic and hoped you'd get others on your side. In seeing that that didn't happen, maybe she made a pact with you directly in the hopes that she could do so with more subtlety than making you a paladin. Some of her portfolios are "dance," "moonlight," and "swordwork." It won't take much flavoring to say your powers come from her.

2) If the drow in your vision isn't good aligned, your character may be the subject of a plot. The entity you made your pact with could be any number of dark forces, possibly in direct employ of the drow.

3) If the drow in your vision isn't actually a drow, see #2, you pact might be directly with her without you realizing it. Maybe there is no drow, and the vision was just to trick you into entering the Underdark.

4) If your pact isn't with anyone related to the drow, it could be with someone who's hoping to manipulate you. You went to the other fey (presumably Seelie) and tried to get them to help this drow. They refused. An Unseelie fey might see offering help as a good way to get you to switch sides and join them. Or a hag might see a probable tragic outcome on the horizon and she only gave you power so it would come to pass - maybe she thinks you'll succeed in saving the drow only to be rejected by the other eladrin when you return, and then you'll use your new powers to attack them.

In any of these cases, I would say you should play your character as a storybook hero. Eladrin are the elves most tied to the Feywild, so they're the most likely to live out faerie tales. Your character sees reality through that lens. That might mean he's a bit gullible and prone to seeing morality in black and white. Or it could mean he's extremely driven and prone to hubris. Whatever sounds compelling. Don't be afraid to look to your favorite fantasy and faerie stories for inspiration, this is the kind of character that lives life as an archetype.

I left most of the drow's story to my DM so he could use it as plot piece, but I sure am passing these suggestions to him!

Ghghj2
2019-06-28, 08:08 PM
I'd 100% play this as not knowing who or what my patron is. To the point where my Eldarin Suitor of this lovely drow lady is unaware of the pact entirely, believing that love itself is a domain that allows his uncontrollable passion to manifest as magic.

I'd slowly ratchet up the level of obsession with drowgirl, and loosen the Eldarins grasp on reality over time until he finally meets his imagined betrothed. A Yoochol of Looth, a handmaiden of his patron. Which is A-OK with this dude by the end of his voyage. Wedding bells, happy ending!

Nothing beats a CE bachelor party~

This really is a nice concept and i think i will use it someday, but for this one, askin for help to a shadofell entity as being an eladrin was supposed to be part of the intrigue

sophontteks
2019-06-28, 08:45 PM
I really had the idea of him being overly passionate about everything, but your take on it was really clear thanks a lot!
Basically Romeo.

Romeo was tragically romantic. I mean the guy was literally crying over his previous girlfriend and, what, a week later he kills himself over another girl? That's very Eladrin. I think Leonardo Dicaprio may help with some inspiration with his version of the play.

The way Eladrin are. I'd take this and multiply it by 1000. Your character is practically insane with passion. It is whimsical and fleeting, but when he feels passionate towards something he dials it up to crazy levels.

Corran
2019-06-30, 04:54 AM
I left most of the drow's story to my DM so he could use it as plot piece, but I sure am passing these suggestions to him!
If the DM turns your character into some sort of spider magnet (eg spiders gather near your character when he sleeps), then you know that the dream is a trap and that worshipers of Lolth are behind everything! :p
Have a look at Eilistraee (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Eilistraee). She would make a fitting patron to your hexblade (she even has sowrdwork as part of a portfolio, she is a drow, and her domain also involves beauty and freedom -so perhaps she is trying to break you free from the customs and unwritten laws of the eladrin society using romance/love as her tool; perhaps she is using you to save some follower of hers -the drow in your character's vision- that is in trouble).

Fair warning. However cool this concept might be, it will be hard to make it work well in a group game. If not every adventure is brining you closer to saving that drow you saw in your vision, then why this character is following the rest of the party? Or why would the party follow that character and not pursue their own goals? Such concepts are usually a lot of work for the DM to incorporate well into the adventure (and building the adventure based or influenced by characters' backstories is a whole different can of worms, but I digress).

Ghghj2
2019-06-30, 05:18 PM
Have a look at Eilistraee. She would make a fitting patron to your hexblade (she even has sowrdwork as part of a portfolio, she is a drow, and her domain also involves beauty and freedom -so perhaps she is trying to break you free from the customs and unwritten laws of the eladrin society using romance/love as her tool; perhaps she is using you to save some follower of hers -the drow in your character's vision- that is in trouble).

This deity seems perfect for what I planned! Even better than the Raven Queen, i think i'll use it

Fair warning. However cool this concept might be, it will be hard to make it work well in a group game. If not every adventure is brining you closer to saving that drow you saw in your vision, then why this character is following the rest of the party? Or why would the party follow that character and not pursue their own goals? Such concepts are usually a lot of work for the DM to incorporate well into the adventure (and building the adventure based or influenced by characters' backstories is a whole different can of worms, but I digress).

In my mind, the character went adventuring in dungeons and such to find an entrance to Shadowfell in his search and all. He might be sticking with the party because they accepted him and offered (at least some) help in his quest, I realised I didn't think this through, tho