PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #296 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2006-03-23, 01:17 AM
The new comic is up. And I have to finish packing. See some of you in Memphis.

TinSoldier
2006-03-23, 01:18 AM
Wow! I just refreshed like less than 30 seconds ago!

So many spoilers to post, so little time! ;D

Great update!!!

Liquid
2006-03-23, 01:19 AM
Yay! First page!

and of course...great comic as ever!

greatscott
2006-03-23, 01:20 AM
Great comic.

Woot first page $$

GS

NivMizzet
2006-03-23, 01:20 AM
One wouldn't think he'd want the sword fixed, after the argument with eugene and all...

EDIT: GRAMMAR, and W00T! First page!.

raven-gm
2006-03-23, 01:21 AM
Yes! Great!

and about the sword, I think he needed his favored weapon back.

I love "well, its the lack of thought that counts"

Athanatos
Ideal gas law reference?

Oh my God. SO awesome.

The_Ducky_Ninja
I guess it's the lack of thought that counts. XD!

ragingmaro
Finally! The return of the sword!

metalphil
2006-03-23, 01:23 AM
YAY!

Holy crap! I made it on the first page! I'm such a nerd..

mastroyo
2006-03-23, 01:23 AM
YEAH!

Elans choice for a gift? Something about Banjo i hope!

And, the criptographers will be late this time. I always get to the comic when Haleys are been deciphred.

Good comic giant.

Hope you manage Fridays from the convention... If you don't, well, that's OK too. ;)

Edit: First page. That's a first. AND I'm a Barbariaaaan! BEWARE

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-03-23, 01:24 AM
brilliant!

The Vorpal Tribble
Get that pretty mama all fixed up and show Miko what she's been missing, Roy!

(i.e. weapon proficiency 8) )

LtNOWIS
Roy is so awesome! And it's about time he got that sword fixed.

Finwe
2006-03-23, 01:25 AM
Awesome Comic :D

Amotis
Yes, nice job!
And yes! I thought someone else got the Celia thing too!

EDIT: oh yes, and second page, blah blah, whooo.

Vengeful_Hand
Howl to the moon, that was great! Sorry to all the Roy-Celia shippers. Mua ha. What would Elan want?

mec
2006-03-23, 01:26 AM
Yay! I was wondering if the OOTS Universe had chemistry similar to ours, or ran on the ancient Greek lines of air/water/fire/earth. This helps answer that question!

Lilly
2006-03-23, 01:26 AM
Mmmmm.... and here I thought that Casey and Andy was the only webcomic that did chemistry jokes.

It's so funny I just about fell off my chair. That hasn't happened in a while.

theKOT
2006-03-23, 01:27 AM
Hehehehe... Eat that Rolia shippers! Oh wait, there was nothing confirming nor denying that in this comic, just a hilarious way to finally get Roy's sword fixed. Nevermind

Anyway, I liked this one and assuming there is no comic friday, it's a good one to go out on because it is open-ended yet it isn't really a cliffhanger, which would be terrible for a five-day wait.

Also, hooray! We get to see the tour thingie! Or at least it hasn't happened yet... it would probably be too strip-consuming to write out fully, anyway.

Bilbo27
2006-03-23, 01:27 AM
Awww, hinjo and Elan have to part ways, so sad, but the crew is off for more fun! WHOO HOOOOO
2nd page!!

AveTris
2006-03-23, 01:31 AM
Since no one has tossed one out there yet.....

I couldn't get a perfect translation in this comic, but I got a pretty good match with "Because even I'm sick of translating these things."

OldFart
2006-03-23, 01:32 AM
Just after so many people in our community have blasted Roy for being "mean," he does the nicest thing for Durkon.

Touching interaction between two old friends. And as befitting their characters, done in few words. Kudos, Giant.

kriklaf
2006-03-23, 01:33 AM
Ideal gas law reference?

I also appreciate it,although I thought the 'heating charge' reference (many comics ago) might have been a thermo joke, too. Anyway, Giant-have a good time in Memphis. It's a fun town, and even if you're not an Elvis fan I'd still recommend Graceland. Thanks as usual for a great comic!

spoiler--OTOOPCs--Wonder whether the high priest of Thor is the same one who sent Durkon away in the first place...and whether he'll invite him back if not...should be interesting /spoiler

ElfLad
2006-03-23, 01:34 AM
Awesome. I'm really looking forward to the "town" comics. Those are my favorites usually.

5tephen
2006-03-23, 01:34 AM
Nice one!

(Can't WAIT to see what Elan chooses to fill his gift voucher with. spoiler...Something pointless, that will later prove extreemly useful, methinks!)

Deuce
2006-03-23, 01:41 AM
Mmmmmnnnnn . . .good stuff!

How Roy got his Cleave back!

cuibono_219
2006-03-23, 01:43 AM
Awesome, it's just awesome.

I wonder how many spells V would get from the wizard...

Probably loads of 'em.

Dizmo
2006-03-23, 01:43 AM
Now, now, Belkar. Gift certificates can come in very handy! (They often end up being MY favorite presents, personally. ;D)

PhoeKun
2006-03-23, 01:44 AM
I must say, Giant, you're timing is impeccable. Why must you head to Memphis mere days after I leave it?

... Oh right, those convention things. (Naturally, you head to Columbus shortly after I head back to Memphis, as well. You would have to work to make the timing suck more...)

But enough of my complaining about circumstances. This was a truly great comic on the humor scale. Double entendres and ideal gas jokes? We have a winner, folks.

Magus
2006-03-23, 01:45 AM
Congratulations on another brilliant installment, Giant!

I really like Roy's forethought in getting his friends their gifts. He knows them so very well.

(Well, except Elan. "It's the lack of thought that counts" indeed!)

I am glad that Roy is getting the sword fixed. Despite Eugene's off-the-scale jackassery, Roy still has respect for the sword that has seen him through so much, and for what the sword has historically meant to his family.

Aiani
2006-03-23, 01:46 AM
I'm glad that Roy is finally getting his sword fixed but now I'm kinda sad that Celia didn't get something. By the way I loved Elan's expression when he said that Roy must be getting something for Celia. Really I just love Elan, he's adorable.

Zaku_III
2006-03-23, 01:47 AM
Ok, given that I have not read On the Origin of PCs, shall I assume Durkon was sent away from the Dwarven lands for some reason?

Gengy
2006-03-23, 01:50 AM
And it begins. Mwhahahaha. That was great.

"It's the lack of thought that counts."

I laughed. I cried. I wondered if Belkar was following Roy to the master swordsmiths, as per the 100ft rule. I dismissed it as stupid to critisize. I laughed some more. And then I went to bed.

Winged One
2006-03-23, 01:50 AM
Yay for favors! ;D

Kanashimi
2006-03-23, 01:56 AM
Yayyy!

Great comic!

Love the part about the ideal gas.

Does that make V an airhead?

Behold_the_Void
2006-03-23, 02:00 AM
Good to see that Roy's sword will be reforged soon. And I'm also wondering if we'll get to see Hinjo take Roy out on the town. That'd be quite amusing.

Zaruthustran
2006-03-23, 02:07 AM
This one was terrific. I laughed out loud at the gift certificate part. The other gifts really rang true, too.

Great work, The Giant!

ps: Hinjo = linear guild spy? inquiring minds want to know!

Jacklu
2006-03-23, 02:09 AM
I want one of those gift certificates! :P ;D

lunar
2006-03-23, 02:11 AM
[SPOILER]

That gift certificate will come in handy. Elan will likely solve some unsolvable problem with it in the future... like maybe the rescuing of Roy's sister.

theKOT
2006-03-23, 02:17 AM
I laughed. I cried. I wondered if Belkar was following Roy to the master swordsmiths, as per the 100ft rule. I dismissed it as stupid to critisize. I laughed some more. And then I went to bed.
Except it is one mile, not one hundred feet. So Belkar didn't really need to follow him.

RBloom0566
2006-03-23, 02:18 AM
Comic is coming in the next half hour, just got too busy preparing for the convention (that I should have left for three hours ago).

What con? I'm so out of the loop! :(

Sign_of_Fourteen
2006-03-23, 02:20 AM
Ah, nice to see Roy do something for his friends...

And I loved the V/chemistry joke. Might use a variation on that myself, I think...

WTFWWD
2006-03-23, 02:21 AM
Another great comic!

I've said that the two best things about playing a character game-wise is leveling up and getting/buying stuff. Alas, I've never received a coupon in-game...
(Funny thought: Elan gets an intelligent sword that bugs him as much as he bugs the other members of the Order)

Also, HOORAY for no more cryptograms!

Scion_of_the_Light
2006-03-23, 02:22 AM
I feel bad for Elan...only a gift certificate, after everything he's done! What a lack of thought Roy. Good gesture to all the others, though. I love V...the wizard I'm playing right now is definitly taking some traits off of him/her.

infiniteviking
2006-03-23, 02:23 AM
Very cool! Hahahaha, a gift certificate... covers all the bases, doesn't it? And still gives Elan a chance to appall everyone with his favor of choice.

LOVE the ideal gas simile. Only Vaarsuvius would say that. And V with unlimited spells? That'll be something to see. They'll have to pry him out of that library with a crowbar.

And good old Roy, interceding on behalf of his whole party, and not just for quest-related items... he just can't help this leader thing, can he? Gets you right there.

*rereads comic* Ooh, Belkar has to stay in disguise while the rest of the party scatters around town having fun!? That's got to burn. And it's interesting to see that Roy views his sword as something entirely separate from the-thing-that-summons-his-weird-dad. Seventh member of the team.... nice.

*dyes*

*purple, that is*

AAAaaaahahahahaha!!!

Have a great time in Memphis, Giant!

Nobodey
2006-03-23, 02:25 AM
As for Durkons roots, he was basically sent as a missionary. He is not to return unless he is asked to return.

This is a great episode. One of the best I have seen since the first hundred and twenty or so. I love this comic and find that it is (IMHO) better than any other webcomic I read. (and I read a lot).

If I may suggest an idea. Allowing yourself to be infulenced by someone elses thoughts on how a story should go, even to spite them, is still being infulenced by them.

That is all.

Nightmarenny
2006-03-23, 02:27 AM
Now, now, Belkar. Gift certificates can come in very handy! (They often end up being MY favorite presents, personally. ;D)
I've always hated gift certificates. I don't care if you can't think of a gift and get me money(In fact I'll love you for it) but if you try and tell me where to shop you are dead to me.

Xenon
2006-03-23, 02:28 AM
i shudder in fear at what favor elan may want....

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-03-23, 02:33 AM
First, I'm incredibly pleased as to how large the Giant's fan base must be ala in the time it took me to read the first two pages of comments, two more pages magically appeared (maybe one of those new spells V gets to copy).

Next, did anyone else hear John Williamsesque strings, a soft focus close up and three tissues getting passed to the lady down the row when Roy told Durkon he might be going home post quest? The small tear in D's eye was the perfect touch. Another classic moment in what is already a classic strip.

And at the risk of spoilerage: what are the chances Roy gets his sword reforged with some additional, anti-lich enhancements in mind...?

ElfLad
2006-03-23, 02:36 AM
[OMG uber-spoiler highlight to read!]

Elan: I want Miko to travel with us!!!

Ugh, I can just imagine the reactions to that...

Wolf_In_Exile
2006-03-23, 02:37 AM
It's good to see Roy's getting his sword fixed. I missed the days when goblins were lopt in half by his great cleavage.

*snicker*

Vampire_Boy
2006-03-23, 03:09 AM
I feel bad for Elan...only a gift certificate, after everything he's done!

Err, what exactly did he do? Failed to be completely and utterly useless and get the party killed? You get gifts for that? ;D

Loved this strip. It seems that like with so many fighters, Roy's love of his life will be his sword.

And Belkar's comment just made my day.

Now, I believe we are in for a couple of dozen episodes with the gang getting into some mischief while in the city?

kit
2006-03-23, 03:10 AM

Or just gassy?

sorry.
:-/

Frank
Elan, essentially, has a "Get anything free" card. The possibilities are endless there. And a gift card in DnD? Cracks me up.

V seemed to get the second best deal. But she's always so socially awkward when she talks about Arcana...should be amusing seeing her talk to another enlightened magic user. Maybe she can teach him the Spikes of Forced Intrusion or what have you...lol. Just thinking about that strip makes me laugh.

Something tells me Roy has something up his sleeve. I have no clue what, but that smile had "I got a plan" written all over it.

-Frank

EscherEnigma
ug, I hope not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that they'd be funny episodes, but ultimately I doubt they would move the plot much, and at this point the Giant has me as hooked on the plot as I am on the jokes.

Methuselah_Amakiir
2006-03-23, 03:12 AM
I can just see Roy walking out of there with a katana-style Green-hilted sword. Nah.... He'd want it to look like it did when his ancestors wielded it in battle.

Nightstallion
2006-03-23, 03:17 AM
Great comic!

But -- didn't you state in the introduction to OtOotPCs that you would explain the backstory shortly as soon as something that happened in Book #0 should be of relevance in the on-line strip? Somehow, I think people who haven't read OtOotPCs will be rather stumped about the letter to the HPoT... ::shrugs::

Anyway, yay for tying up loose ends!

PhoeKun
2006-03-23, 03:21 AM
Great comic!

But -- didn't you state in the introduction to OtOotPCs that you would explain the backstory shortly as soon as something that happened in Book #0 should be of relevance in the on-line strip? Somehow, I think people who haven't read OtOotPCs will be rather stumped about the letter to the HPoT... ::shrugs::

Anyway, yay for tying up loose ends!

Why do people keep saying that? Durkon told Hilgya why he was in the human lands some time ago...in glorious Darkvision(tm)! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=84)

There's no OtOoPC necessary stuff here at all.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-03-23, 03:22 AM
Elan's probably gonna get something that offends everyone yet turns out to be a boon. Either that, food would be nice.

As for Roy: yeah, baby...but do you have some starmetal?

TheLastOfTheFallen
2006-03-23, 03:26 AM
Brillian! I laughed so hard I woke my girlfriend up...and she read it and laughed just as hard. Great job as alwas, Giant. :D

Fale
2006-03-23, 03:37 AM
I'm impressed. Roy makes a great team leader.

Devils_Advocate
2006-03-23, 03:43 AM
See, Roy? Sidequests aren't so bad when you're the one handing them out! ;D

Hey, I wouldn't know what to get Elan either. A favor from the ruler of a major city(-state?) is a pretty darn good gift, if you ask me.

Yay! I was wondering if the OOTS Universe had chemistry similar to ours, or ran on the ancient Greek lines of air/water/fire/earth. This helps answer that question!
In the Origins book, Vaarsuvius makes passing reference to "the quantum nature of reality." It sounds to me kinda like the OOTSiverse has real-world physics with magic and stuff like the "four classical elements" layered on top.

Ok, given that I have not read On the Origin of PCs, shall I assume Durkon was sent away from the Dwarven lands for some reason?
Yes, there was indeed a reason. The most relevant bit, though, is that Thor's High Priest instructed Durkon to remain in human lands until he calls him back. Durkon has referred to this in the strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=84) (EDIT: PhoeKun beat me to this as I was writing this. I just had to re-read the relevant material as I was constructing this post, didn't I? Yes. Yes, I did.)

As for Durkons roots, he was basically sent as a missionary.
Or at least, that's what he was TOLD... (Dun dun dun!)

old_bard
2006-03-23, 03:44 AM
See some of you in Memphis.

Cool there's a convention this weekend here and I didnt know.

sun_tzu
2006-03-23, 04:10 AM
Loved the strip. Now, were I in Roy's shoes, I'd have gotten Elan a Circlet of +2 Intelliegence...but that might have interferred with the humor.

Pesi
2006-03-23, 04:15 AM
Good stuff. Funniest part I.M.O:
Gift certificate. Good for one favor from Lord Shojo.

jvtroyen
2006-03-23, 04:38 AM
In a quick glance, I didn't find the haley-speak translated yet, so here's my try.

2 minor duplicates threw me in the wrong direction, but it took only 5 minutes.

"Because even I'm sick of translating these things."

Alfryd
2006-03-23, 04:53 AM
Good, good. Ths Memphis you speak of... is it some distance away? More or less than 24 hours, say?

"I like to think of her as the seventh member of the team, really."

Are you trying to kill me?

tee_kay_one
2006-03-23, 05:07 AM
Good comic. Made me think of the lord of the rings, when the fellowship leaves lorien. Only a lot more funny...

Oh, and I'm soooo looking forward to the first clear sentence haley will say --now what would that be?

sxtxixtxch
2006-03-23, 05:27 AM
yeah.... using:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!-'.,
=
n__v_bek_mgs__tl__orh_acif!-'.,

fgxwhlg gdga y'j lyxh sz otwwlpwoyak ouglg ouyakl
=
becakse even i'm sick of traaslating these things

Albion
2006-03-23, 05:34 AM
Ha ha! That was an interesting one. Hehe, the love of the swordsman's life... sweet. Even Roy can be a bit silly in his own way.

silvadel
2006-03-23, 05:41 AM
It is too bad roy didnt know about the problem with haileys father or that would be the favor he would have gotten her...

But with the limited info he has I would think he would have sent an expedition back to the hotel to reclaim the gold that was left there. I mean unless they went into dimension X that hotel is the equivalent of a gold mine.

Otherwise it was a nice comic.

Squall83
2006-03-23, 07:07 AM
It is too bad roy didnt know about the problem with haileys father or that would be the favor he would have gotten her...

But with the limited info he has I would think he would have sent an expedition back to the hotel to reclaim the gold that was left there. I mean unless they went into dimension X that hotel is the equivalent of a gold mine.Well, there's still Elans wish. :D

Nice comic again. I guess now there'll be some funny strips without much plot development. I'm looking forward to them. ^^

Delgarde
2006-03-23, 07:13 AM
"Because even I'm sick of translating these things."

Ah... nice touch. Well, I guess we won't be getting many more cyphers from Haley...

Jaqrabbit
2006-03-23, 08:17 AM
Ah... nice touch. Well, I guess we won't be getting many more cyphers from Haley...
Well, Roy only said Shojo's clerics would TRY to reverse Haley's speech problem. There's no guarantee they'll succeed., after all. ;)

And it's about time Roy got his sword reforged. Now we find out if the whole star metal thing was a complete waste of time or not. ::)

Lightman
2006-03-23, 08:25 AM
Extremly funny, Giant.

Swashbuckler
2006-03-23, 08:27 AM
"From the ashes of fire shall be woken
a light from the shadow shall spring
renewed shall be Blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be King"

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Give that baby some TLC, Roy!

"Evil, meet my sword ... sword, MEET EVIL!"

Grunjon
2006-03-23, 08:48 AM
Awesome comic, Giant! The last three panels had me rolling!

Cool there's a convention this weekend here and I didnt know.

Yeah, unfortunately I've known about MidSouthCon for quite some time...more the pity, my wife has. We both love Giant and want to visit it to see him...but it's almost $90 for she, I and our son to get in. And while I know a lot of the names on the guest list, it's all essentially folk whose stuff neither of us read. So there's noone else to see but Rich, and with the list of programming so vaguely worded (http://www.midsouthcon.org/pages/programing.html), we're not sure if we'll get our money's worth for $90 that we really just can't afford. :(

If anyone can convince me to spend the money, then I'll see you there with my entire family! :-/

Giant, dress warm: The high temp this entire weekend is 56°F on Sunday, and nothing better than "partly cloudy". Welcome to Memphis. Make sure you grab some Corky's BBQ while you're here!! :)

Shatteredtower
2006-03-23, 08:59 AM
There's a convention in Egypt this time of year? ???

I'm kind of wondering if the gift certificate was intended more as a way of irritating Shojo than rewarding Elan. Actually, I'm just envisioning what Thog would do with a gift like that, which might be colouring my perspective.

Glad to see Roy finally finding a place to fix his blade. Always reassuring to be told: "We can rebuild her. We have the smithy."

gregory_carslaw
2006-03-23, 09:28 AM
Well, Roy only said Shojo's clerics would TRY to reverse Haley's speech problem. There's no guarantee they'll succeed., after all. ;)
complete waste of time or not. ::)

That depends, was that translation Haley being sick of translating them or the giant getting fed up with it? Discovery is quite fufilling, but it can't be that much fun to have to translate things into gibberish.

It's given the cyrptographers a lot of fun, provided a few good gags and generally been a good idea thats added something to an already fantastic comic - but I think it's time for the cyrptograms to go now.

fithi
:D The family blade shall be reforged, yay!

It'll be interesting to see what Elan uses his certificate for.

Seffbasilisk
*spoiler*
I just had a horrible idea. All the swords down here seem to be mostly what a Samurai would use. So what if the swordsmith reforges the ancestral blade as a size large masterwork bastard sword (large katana)?

Roy'd be a little peeved, but could probably make due (even with the -4 non-proficency) until he got EWP Bastard Sword and went crazy with it.

He'd waste all his Weapon Spec. and focus feats though....

rohanvos
2006-03-23, 09:30 AM
I'm kinda curious how the blade will be reforged, they are in the Soutehrn Kingdoms which equal orient/Japan. So reforging a great sword might be a little beyond their sphere of experience. Well as long as Roy has the exotic weapon feat for a bastard sword hopefully there won't be to many problems ahead.

"Here is your sword sir."

"This isn't my sword.I asked for a great-sword this is clearly a bastard sword."

"ARe you insulting my balde. It is the finest katana I have ever forged.SHould you meet a god and stirke him with this blade it will cut him, and I don't mean the god of peasents or beggers either I mean a really tough god with reality destroying power."

"But I asked for a great-sword."

"That in your hands is a great sword. Perfect for destroying all your enemies with strikes full of honor and devotion to your lord."

tothecornfield
2006-03-23, 09:42 AM
Obviously Roy is smart enough to ask for something better than a gift certificate to the blacksmith's. I think he is holding starmetal in his right hand in the last panel. He is going to be really surprised when he discovers that he never really needed it in the first place.

Nightstallion
2006-03-23, 09:44 AM
Why do people keep saying that? Durkon told Hilgya why he was in the human lands some time ago...in glorious Darkvision(tm)! (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=84)

Ooops. I retract my prior statement and claim the exact opposite now; I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me!

Swashbuckler
2006-03-23, 10:00 AM
Obviously Roy is smart enough to ask for something better than a gift certificate to the blacksmith's. I think he is holding starmetal in his right hand in the last panel. He is going to be really surprised when he discovers that he never really needed it in the first place.

Ah, yes ... but that means the sword will be just that much cooler. ;D

Vengeful_Hand
2006-03-23, 10:32 AM
Good, good. Ths Memphis you speak of... is it some distance away? More or less than 24 hours, say?

"I like to think of her as the seventh member of the team, really."

Are you trying to kill me?

Not a huge distance. Memphis is perhaps 16 hours from me by car, so probably 20 hours from New York, at least. A plane could get you there in an hour, maybe two.

hatsinger
2006-03-23, 10:38 AM
I may be wrong, but I guess that even if he didn't need the starmetal, they CAN use the starmetal to improve his weapon. Remember what Sabine said here http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=142.

Sanctu
2006-03-23, 10:38 AM
I think [Roy] is holding starmetal in his right hand in the last panel.

I think those are the other pieces of his sword, actually. Left hand: hilt and bit of blade. Right hand: the rest of the shattered blade. Even if star metal were vital to the reforging of his blade, assuming there is enough around in Azure City to fix Roy's family sword, Shojo wouldn't have it on hand to give Roy. Instead he'd either send him to the blacksmith who would have some, or the blacksmith could evaluate and then send out for it, probably given a notice from Shojo about it via Roy.

Supagoof
2006-03-23, 10:44 AM
Great comic, I almost cried with laughter. Roy is going to go "give it to her". Oh the joy.

Elan's gift, to be used at a later time I'm certain. Like a new lute with magical properties to help his bardiness get it's grove on.

Nightfall
2006-03-23, 11:00 AM
I'm kinda curious how the blade will be reforged, they are in the Southern Kingdoms which equal orient/Japan. So reforging a great sword might be a little beyond their sphere of experience. Well as long as Roy has the exotic weapon feat for a bastard sword hopefully there won't be too many problems ahead.

"Here is your sword sir."

"This isn't my sword. I asked for a great-sword. This is clearly a bastard sword."

"Are you insulting my blade? It is the finest katana I have ever forged. Should you meet a god and strike him with this blade it will cut him, and I don't mean the god of peasents or beggers either. I mean a really tough god with reality-destroying power."

"But I asked for a great-sword."

"That in your hands is a great sword. Perfect for destroying all your enemies with strikes full of honor and devotion to your lord."

Are you peeking into the Giant's mind? I laughed so hard! This sounds just like something we'd see in OOTS!

Neopolis
2006-03-23, 11:08 AM
What is that I smell? Spoilers? Character development? A mixture of both? Yes it is.

Nekkira
2006-03-23, 11:34 AM
Giant:Great comic as usual! Have fun at the Con!

I hope Elan is going to ask for Mr. Scruffy. ;D He'd make a great party member.

Landon_Fox
2006-03-23, 11:36 AM
It'd be more likely that he'd get a nao-dachi, which is the japanese equivalent of a great sword. Although, given Roy's intellegence, I think he'll be pretty specific when it comes to the looks he expects of the sword.

How much do you want to bet that Elan and Hinjo get along so well that Elan decides to trade in his gift certificate for Hinjo to come along. I might like that because it'd give a chance to show off a different kind of paladin.

sniffles
2006-03-23, 11:43 AM
Wow, am I surprised! I thought for sure that Roy would never get that sword repaired after he found out that's how Dad could contact him. :D

xrestassuredx
2006-03-23, 11:54 AM
Wow, am I surprised! I thought for sure that Roy would never get that sword repaired after he found out that's how Dad could contact him. :D
Haha! That's a good point. But, she [i]is[/] the seventh member of the team ...

... baby

Falkus
2006-03-23, 12:06 PM
Wow, am I surprised! I thought for sure that Roy would never get that sword repaired after he found out that's how Dad could contact him.

But he can't anymore, since he's effectively confined to the summoning circle at Shojo's place, and wouldn't be allowed to make any more visits if he returns to the upper planes.

Gary_Schaper
2006-03-23, 12:07 PM
Oh, my. He's left Elan's favor from Shojo up to Elan's discretion.

This cannot fail to end hilariously.

Priceless_Ming
2006-03-23, 12:14 PM
Am I the only one a little sad to see this entire story arch coming to an end? I for one was really enjoying this Gordian Knot; and now that it's starting to resolve, I don't know. The idea of Durkon going home...I can't believe how bummed out I was at that prospect.

Wrecan
2006-03-23, 12:37 PM
Durkon wouldn't go home until the entire series comes to an end. It takes a long time for messages to get from Azure City to the Dwarven Kingdom way up north.

He's clearly setting up some happy endings for the players...

Roy and Celia
Elan and Haley
Durkon goes home
Belkar might even be redeemed(!)
Not sure what's in store for V. V's got a spouse, has a lot of knowledge and power. Might just be basic retirement for this character.

Sorry. Just realized this might be considered a spoiler!

Gleanerizer
2006-03-23, 12:45 PM
But he can't anymore, since he's effectively confined to the summoning circle at Shojo's place, and wouldn't be allowed to make any more visits if he returns to the upper planes.
Actually, Eugene's exact words were closer to "probably won't be able to respond to summoning spells for a while" if he goes back to the Upper Planes. The Greenhilt sword is remarkable for being an exception to the normal dead-living interaction rules.

Eriol
2006-03-23, 12:48 PM
I really liked how much Durkon was touched by Roy looking out for him. To my knowledge, Durkon has only cried once before (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=84), though these are different, as these are tears of joy. He really does miss his homeland (and for more than just the beer I'm sure).

So are the comics going away for a few days while Rich is at the convention? Or what?

Freeman333
2006-03-23, 12:50 PM
Hopefully this will be both the first and last time V compares him/herself to a gas...

Anyway, Durkon's tearful look was priceless. Clearly, there's nothing in the world he would like more, and Roy knew it...the question is, just how will the High Priest of Thor react to this request? Ignore it? Respond in some non-comittal way? Freak out because he knows if he can't give a good reason to keep Durkon in the field, Durkon might decide to come investigate on his own? Personally, I hope for freak-outs, because freaked-out dwarves are funny. But that's me.

Well, Roy having his old sword back isn't quite the same as having the party totally "tricked out" like I hoped they would be, but it's something. No more beating things with piece of wood for this boy! Time to deal that sweet, sweet slashing damage. Extended critical ranges for all!

Veg Sorbet
2006-03-23, 12:53 PM
Another great comic.

(please note: it may take a while before these comments become more than relatively generic comments - I'm still new to the whole commenting on a comic thing...)

Regards,
"Valthreborn".

BigT
2006-03-23, 01:12 PM
Great comic, I can't wait for the OoTS to get back out and questing. I agree with the guys on the board who say that getting the sword fixed will not be easy.
Oh, and I am finding Haley's comment especially tough to decipher, although i should keep further related comments for the "what's Haley saying?" thread.

SteveMB
2006-03-23, 01:39 PM
YEAH!

Elans choice for a gift? Something about Banjo i hope!
I guarantee you that Elan's choice is going to make Roy wish that he's thought of something -- anything -- else....

Elurindel
2006-03-23, 01:49 PM
Great comic! AT last, Roy is getting his sword fixed. All foes fear his weapon specialisation! That just leaves me wondering what they'll do when they realise that his sister gas been kidnapped, and they're in a town! Belkar will have to control his murderous urges!

LE4dGOLEM
2006-03-23, 02:13 PM
Woo! single-digit-page post!

THe comic leaves me wondering... what is "her" name?

Kish
2006-03-23, 02:25 PM
Something even worse than "Trouser Titan," presumably.

ref
2006-03-23, 03:21 PM
We'll see how it turns out.

For the guy/gal that said what has Elan done? Well, if not for Elan, they wouldn't have been able to escape. Yes, they did go back to the cells immediately, but it's still worthy of XP.

It's sad to see he forgot about Celia. But let's not tell her the trial was staged. Celia is happy she won her first case.

saraswati
2006-03-23, 03:36 PM
I think those are the other pieces of his sword, actually. Left hand: hilt and bit of blade. Right hand: the rest of the shattered blade. Even if star metal were vital to the reforging of his blade, assuming there is enough around in Azure City to fix Roy's family sword, Shojo wouldn't have it on hand to give Roy. Instead he'd either send him to the blacksmith who would have some, or the blacksmith could evaluate and then send out for it, probably given a notice from Shojo about it via Roy.

Hmm, my take on this is different. Roy actually does have some starmetal, even if it isn't a huge amount. I don't think you need to reforge the blade entirely out of starmetal to get benefits from it. I doubt that an adamantine weapon or silver weapon is
entirely adamantine or silver. Usually you mix the metals like you do to get steel.

So I don't think Roy needs to have huge amounts to actually get benefit. However, on the "speed of plot" theory, the Giant may decide that the amount that Roy has is not quite enough :)

On a diff note, Landon Fox's theory of about how Elan would use his gift certificate is super cool! (I'm not quoting it here because Landon has it whited out as a spoiler, and using the quote function on those sometimes reveals them. But it is in the page previous to this one).

I like the idea, and I think it would be fun. But I bet the Giant wants to save the gift certificate for some genius brainstorm which we will find completely unexpected.

Sorry for vagueness. Trying not to reveal spoilers.

I too was touched by the scene with Durkon. Not only was it nice, it seems to be a good way to advance Durkon's plot line (started in OOPCs). Which I'm all happy about. Poor poor Durkon. It's gonna get unhappy. But I like him, and I want to see more of his story, even if its tragedy.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-03-23, 03:59 PM
Yeah. Seeing more of Durkon's backstory would be really cool. He he. . . I thought Roy was talking about Celia (sp?) too.

Wanderlust
2006-03-23, 04:03 PM
Good to see things moving right along. Roy is gonna be one bad dude with his sword back together. 8)

androgial
2006-03-23, 04:28 PM
i have refrained from registering and posting for two long because i didnt want to spoil rich's thought process with my comments but i cant help it anymore

<SPOILER>

its not too hard to have hit the starmetal with a reduce....or the current size with an enlarge to either hide the true amount or make more metal available and it would be funny for a reduce spell to wear off just as the weaponsmith hands it back to roy as not being enough.

elan has a free favor if he saves it he might use it to convince sojo to destroy the gate his sapphire gaurd protect.

what really happened to the treasure that caused haily to speak in cryptograms...it would be funny to have belkar following the rest of the party during normal activities and seeing them "ding" with split panel showing the causes like haily's loot bag dropping on the minister's, who sent the note to her, head

belkar can do lethal damage to non living things so i can imagine him dealing lethal damage to the side of a building to help the party in a city
</spoiler>

anyway .... generic comment of praise for the comic

Evik
2006-03-23, 05:11 PM
I was wondering when the sword would show up again! I was worried about them not having been able to finish thier side quest for the star metal, I wonder if it will be fixed with star metal kinda looks like he is hold a chunk in his hand, but it could be anything i guess.
Way to go Roy! Keep those Perks coming and your group will never stray!

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-03-23, 05:33 PM
He he. . . I thought Roy was talking about Celia (sp?) too.

Please don't hurt me. I thought it was Miko for about half a second. :-[Yeah... I don't know where that came from either. Then I thought Celia. As we all know I was also wrong then.

Sneak did my avi too. ;D

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-03-23, 05:34 PM
I hope Haley starts talking again. It was funny at first, but by this point it's beginning to annoy.

Kanashimi
2006-03-23, 05:43 PM
Keep in mind, for everyone worrying about if Roy has enough starmetal, that the "Starmetal" sidequest was a farce from the linear guild. A master swordsmith should be able to easily repair the sword, so long as Roy collected all of the pieces.

As far as making a starmetal alloy, that's the way my GM plays it. He doesn't want to nitpick over exactly how many pounds of silver it takes to make a silver weapon.

And, as a silversmith, I can tell you that if a "silver" weapon were pure sterling, it would need to be sharpened after every strike that didn't hit soft flesh. the hardness rating of silver is much lower than steel or bone, even.

Of course starmetal is fantasy, so it's up to the GM (And Rich) exactly what happens.

Kresalak
2006-03-23, 06:10 PM
his sister gas
This is the perfect typo, considering V's comment in todays strip.

Generic comment praising the entertainment value of comic strip.

Dudukain
2006-03-23, 06:16 PM
I have horrible images of Reformed Banjoist becoming the official of Azure City :o

Priceless_Ming
2006-03-23, 06:18 PM
To be fair, this may not be actual starmetal. Adamantine is described as an extraterrestrial metal too, it's found almost exclusively in surface lying meteorite deposits.

And if he has all the pieces, I find it hard to believe you'd need that much starmetal to bind them all back together anyway. You'd probably do a RotK thingummy and hammer it all back together.

But what do I know about Fantasy swordcraft? I dumped all my skill points into languages and knowledge.

Melnor
2006-03-23, 06:27 PM
Great comic, Giant!
Now I'm excited for the climax!!

Adeptus
2006-03-23, 06:38 PM
Is the starmetal a generic D&D thing, or is it something specific to Rich's World of the Four Three Pantheons?

This is what I could find on the net:

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a

"...and from time to time shooting stars of burning emerald fall from the sky. These fallen stars are the only known source of starmetal, a rare and precious ore infused with mighty magical power."

Murky_Pool
2006-03-23, 06:50 PM
Hayley doesn't look too happy in the second from last panel, I wonder what she thinks Roy is going to do to Celia?

OzymandiasVolt
2006-03-23, 06:52 PM
Roy didn't give his reward to Celia. This is proof that he is in fact chaotic evil and is secretly plotting to stab everyone to death. Why else would he want the family heirloom sword repaired? (It's true! I asked some scientists that apparently live right next door and have a doctorate in 'knowing things'. One of them said that first he must do reeeeesearch, and it toally confirmed my baseless theory.)

Anyway, today's comic isn't WHOAMGAWESOME but it gets the job done and maintains the level of quality that makes this comic so enjoyable to read.

Is the starmetal a generic D&D thing, or is it something specific to Rich's World of the Four Three Pantheons?
It's a D&D thing.

EDIT: I just realized something...why can't Durkon just cast Make Whole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/makeWhole.htm) and fix Roy's sword in a few seconds?

Holy_Knight
2006-03-23, 07:54 PM
Another great comic. Let me echo everyone else who said how much they liked Durkon's reaction to Roy's favor--that was really touching. :)

Also, I don't know that it shows a lack of thought on Roy's part that he got Elan a gift certificate, because there's no obvious thing that Elan would really want. All of the favors to the others were based on things that they clearly desired (and Vaarsuvius really made out like a bandit in that regard.)

Spoiler:

I wouldn't be surprised if Elan doesn't use his favor for awhile. Remember how long it took to see the belt of gender-changing again? More than likely Elan will keep it in reserve for just the right moment. It also seems fairly likely that he'll use it to help Haley in some way--possibly to help free her father, if he finds out about that.

WeaponMasterLDO
2006-03-23, 07:58 PM
EDIT: I just realized something...why can't Durkon just cast Make Whole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/makeWhole.htm) and fix Roy's sword in a few seconds?

It says in the spell discription that it does not restore any magical properties. Roy would probably want to use it either to help his father, or to help him in combat (supposing it's a +2,+3 or the like)

ElfLad
2006-03-23, 08:23 PM
Actually, I'm just envisioning what Thog would do with a gift like that, which might be colouring my perspective.

Thog want puppy!

denthor
2006-03-23, 10:16 PM
I have all of the comic and the back stories

Who is Celia?

Where is she mentioned?

Faticus
2006-03-23, 10:23 PM

Who is Celia?

Where is she mentioned?
She is the farry lawyer chick

Scion_of_the_Light
2006-03-23, 11:18 PM
Do you mean fairy?

Ted_Stryker
2006-03-23, 11:45 PM

Who is Celia?

Where is she mentioned?
She gives her name in Comic 72 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=72). And she was the Order's attorney in the recently concluded trial, yes.

Capfalcon
2006-03-24, 12:13 AM
Wonderfuly awesome comic, Giant.

Don't Have the time to read the thread, so I'm not stealing anyones ideas with this.

If you have the same idea, then Great minds think alike ;)
SPOILER I think that Elan is going to use the favor as a way to get Banjo introduced to the local Panthion.

denthor
2006-03-24, 12:24 AM
Thanks all of you that answered my question.

I completely forgot that the fairy had a name and the comic where she falls thru the roof is one of my favorites.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-03-24, 12:38 AM
SPOILER I think that Elan is going to use the favor as a way to get Banjo introduced to the local Panthion.

Brilliant!

neos_dionysos
2006-03-24, 12:59 AM
Wooot! Great Comic.

I love to see that Elan will be let loose on the City at least. Great!

But, don't you think the sword might have a sentience of it's own? Just coercing Roy to have it's will? .

The_Inquisitor
2006-03-24, 01:36 AM
What is Roy holding in the last panel? The starmetal, or the shards of his sword?

tothecornfield
2006-03-24, 01:53 AM
What is Roy holding in the last panel? The starmetal, or the shards of his sword?
It isn't clear, but I think starmetal was his favor from Shojo. Coupons for the Azure City blacksmith seems like it would be a waste of a favor. I could be completely wrong though.

bluish_wolf
2006-03-24, 02:43 AM

Note the gray color. It's pieces of his sword.

theKOT
2006-03-24, 03:00 AM
Wouldn't Roy be cutting himself then?
Edit: I agree though; that is definitely his sword's shards.

jasonstc
2006-03-24, 03:42 AM
I thought Haley looked somewhat upset in the second to last panel, as if she might just be the slightest bit jealous of the 'girl' Roy is referring to.

Or is she just confused?

Albion
2006-03-24, 06:17 AM
I interpreted Haley's expression the way that she understood what Roy was really talking about. "Right, there he goes on about his sword again. Right, Elan doesn't get it again."

Not that simple to analyze, our Haley.

Delgarde
2006-03-24, 06:56 AM
I doubt that an adamantine weapon or silver weapon is
entirely adamantine or silver.

I'd say an adamantine weapon would be pure, but that silver would be alloyed. But only because silver isn't hard enough to make a robust weapon out of - I'd think the damage penalties for a silver weapon would be quite a bit higher if it were pure silver.

Besides, the properties of an adamantine weapon are inherent in the structure of the weapon, and I think alloying would weaken it. In contrast, the effect of the silver is in contact with the enemy - even a coating of silver applied to a weapon gains it's effects temporarily.

Delgarde
2006-03-24, 06:59 AM
Roy'd be a little peeved, but could probably make due (even with the -4 non-proficency) until he got EWP Bastard Sword and went crazy with it.

Not applicable - the exotic proficiency for a bastard sword applies only to using it one-handed, which Roy wouldn't do. For him, it'd just be an undersized greatsword, to be wielded two-handed as normal.

Alfryd
2006-03-24, 07:24 AM

Please don't hurt me. I thought it was Miko for about half a second.
Please, twist the knife.

So are the comics going away for a few days while Rich is at the convention? Or what?
I would presume so.

Now we find out if the whole star metal thing was a complete waste of time or not.
Sabine mentioned to Nale something along the lines of "Won't this only make his weapon stronger?" in the event they survived. So, I presume it will prove useful.
See, Elan does dumbass things that by a bizarre turn of fate benefit the party. Whereas Nale does intelligent things that, by a bizarre turn of fate, utterly backfire.

The Glyphstone
2006-03-24, 07:28 AM
Sabine should have been a bit more worried, if it's actual starmetal...+2d6 damage vs. extraplanar creatures...

Blaznak
2006-03-24, 07:46 AM
Well, another episode and another enjoyable read!

Thanks Giant!

Darius Midnite
2006-03-24, 09:28 AM
So good...

Mute
2006-03-24, 11:57 AM

Scabbard Succubus? ;D

Grunjon
2006-03-24, 12:04 PM

I would presume so.
I wonder if Rich has a laptop. If so, he could plug up at the hotel and post from there.

If he needs help doing that, I can certainly provide the necessary assistance. In exchange for free passes to the convention for me and my wife and son. Or, if that's too hard to wing, then a Shojo gift certificate will do just fine!

Wrecan
2006-03-24, 01:05 PM
I just realized that Roy's sword was shattered in 113, 186 strips ago. That sword's been broken longer than it's been whole!

Zeekar
2006-03-24, 01:15 PM
I just realized that Roy's sword was shattered in 113, 186 strips ago. That sword's been broken longer than it's been whole!

In 112, actually. Which would be 184 strips ago.

It's OK. Math is hard.

:)

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-03-24, 01:19 PM

That's okay; I was reading some older strips the other day and realized I'd forgotten that Haley could actually talk at one point.

Zann
2006-03-24, 02:15 PM
Wow. Go observant you.

And if you think about it, it HAD been in his family for, like, 70 years before he got it.

GypsyThorn
2006-03-24, 02:27 PM
Ideal gas law reference?

Oh my God. SO awesome.

PVNRT

Solara
2006-03-24, 04:50 PM
And if you think about it, 296 explains even more for all the people who were wondering why Roy got Belkar out. You decide to do a favor for each and everyone one of your team members...hmm, what's the obvious thing you could do for the one currently stuck in prison?

RebelRogue
2006-03-24, 04:59 PM
PVNRT
Lol, best "acronym" ever ;D

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-03-24, 04:59 PM

WRONG. YOU DON'T KNOW. STOP THINKING THAT.

Seffbasilisk
2006-03-24, 05:02 PM
Not applicable - the exotic proficiency for a bastard sword applies only to using it one-handed, which Roy wouldn't do. For him, it'd just be an undersized greatsword, to be wielded two-handed as normal.

Actually if the blacksmith based the blade off the size of the hilt it could easily be a size large sword. At least thats what I thought. So with EWP he weilds it in one hand, which lets him weild the size large on in two hands (like his greatsword) with a -2

Wulfric
2006-03-24, 05:08 PM
Nice. Really nice - thanks, Giant.

Holy_Knight
2006-03-24, 05:10 PM
Please don't hurt me. I thought it was Miko for about half a second. :-[Yeah... I don't know where that came from either. Then I thought Celia. As we all know I was also wrong then.

Sneak did my avi too. ;D

Actually, I thought Roy was talking about Miko at first too, except that I thought he was using his favor to take some revenge on her, and was laughing because he knew that whatever he was going to ask Shojo for would really piss her off.

Eriol
2006-03-24, 05:13 PM
I dunno. I was always a fan of x = (-b +-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a

;)

of course there's always circular double-integrals... rdrr

(please tell me I got that right. Been a while)

Adeptus
2006-03-24, 05:19 PM
Scabbard Succubus? ;D

Ouch! :D

Truly atrocious, also brilliant.

Chris the Pontifex
2006-03-24, 06:01 PM

thats right, myself I've been more of an M=(1/8)*q*L^2 person

RyanL330
2006-03-24, 06:16 PM
Ummm....maybe a dumb question, but since there is a Con this weekend, should we not hold out for #297 anytime soon?

mec
2006-03-24, 06:24 PM

;)

of course there's always circular double-integrals... rdrr

(please tell me I got that right. Been a while)

Okay. You got that right!

mec
2006-03-24, 06:27 PM

I learned it as "PV = mu RT", where the number of moles is mu. The written form of mu looks a lot like "u". Presto ... the P..VuRT law!

Okay, that was funnier when I was still in high school. :-/

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/ideal_gases_under_constant.htm

Eriol
2006-03-24, 07:00 PM
thats right, myself I've been more of an M=(1/8)*q*L^2 person
That one is familiar, but can't think of what it is...

OzymandiasVolt
2006-03-24, 07:05 PM
It says in the spell discription that it does not restore any magical properties. Roy would probably want to use it either to help his father, or to help him in combat (supposing it's a +2,+3 or the like)

That's not the point. The sword is already broken, and so it's already been rendered nonmagical. Therefore, Durkon could repair it with a simple 2nd level cleric spell.

Solara
2006-03-24, 07:19 PM
Actually, I thought Roy was talking about Miko at first too, except that I thought he was using his favor to take some revenge on her, and was laughing because he knew that whatever he was going to ask Shojo for would really piss her off.

Ah, but if that was the case wouldn't Haley be grinning, instead of frowning? ;)

Kish
2006-03-24, 07:22 PM
And if you think about it, 296 explains even more for all the people who were wondering why Roy got Belkar out. You decide to do a favor for each and everyone one of your team members...hmm, what's the obvious thing you could do for the one currently stuck in prison?
Get him put on a leash so you can lead him around and have him kill for you before he goes back to be executed? :P

Solara
2006-03-24, 07:30 PM
Yeay yeah yeah...not in the mood for arguing that one anyway, I knew it was a mistake to mention the B word in a thread that was blessedly free of arguing so far.

So... Rapid subject change!

Anyone else think the thing with Haley's father may come out while the clerics are trying to heal her? They'll be trying to figure out the source of the problem after all, and it might be important that it wasn't the gold that screwed her brain up, but what she planned to use the gold for.

kradman
2006-03-24, 07:34 PM
this is OOTS ... they just raise the dead dude... no one needs to be killed as it just costs money nothing more.
Late ... hehe.. ;D ;D ;D

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-03-24, 08:29 PM
Ugh my memories going. . . Did we get the update yet?

ivanmckilliagin
2006-03-24, 09:45 PM
untill just then I had forgotten about Haley's dad. I just kinda thought that she was greedy.

Overelemental
2006-03-24, 11:55 PM
Hmm, my take on this is different. Roy actually does have some starmetal, even if it isn't a huge amount. I don't think you need to reforge the blade entirely out of starmetal to get benefits from it. I doubt that an adamantine weapon or silver weapon is
entirely adamantine or silver. Usually you mix the metals like you do to get steel.

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/specialMaterials.html

Here you find out how silver weapons are made in D&D. At the very bottom of that page. It's an alchemical process where silver is bonded to regular steel weapons.

Fezlin
2006-03-25, 12:52 AM
Roy is a man and as we all know Men love there "Swords". Of course it makes that whole belt thing a few comics ago very weird.

Giant, your a Genius. I've never stuck with a comic before yours.

Nightfall
2006-03-25, 01:12 AM
PVNRT

Um...not as obvious to those of us over 45 and entering the slow downhill mental decline. Explain, please?

EscherEnigma
2006-03-25, 03:28 AM
PV=nRT

Is the ideal gas law.
Pressure * Volume = moles * R * Temperature
where R is a constant.

I think. Its not just those over 45 that have a mental decline... I took classes on this just two years ago and I'm having trouble...

BardicDruid
2006-03-25, 03:36 AM
About the stip agian,
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned,
but i hope Haley can talk agian soon.
It's gets annoying seeing all those random letters all over the place after a while.

Too bad about the sword,
i really enjoyed seeing him fight with a big wooden stick (or greatclub if you want to call it that) it was funny.

Nikolai_II
2006-03-25, 04:13 AM
It's gets annoying seeing all those random letters all over the place after a while.

Go down the page a little for the "What Haley said" thread and you'll find out that: 1. They aren't random letters, only coded messages. and 2: [Spoiler] ;D

BardicDruid
2006-03-25, 04:56 AM
Intresting.
I should have guessed.
Can't believe it, even after reading it like 20 times that cryptogram comment whent right over my head.

Alfryd
2006-03-25, 06:41 AM
...I thought he was using his favor to take some revenge on [Miko], and was laughing because he knew that whatever he was going to ask Shojo for would really piss her off.
I had not considered things from this perspective. Still, Roy's not that vindictive.

I wonder if Rich has a laptop. If so, he could plug up at the hotel and post from there.
Well, it's Saturday, so I'm guessing that won't happen.

Magus
2006-03-25, 07:50 AM

While it was a possibility, I would have been stunned if that was what he used it on. I don't think Roy cares about Miko either way at this point. I'm sure there's bitterness, and there's definitely regret that he didn't handle the whole situation better, but there's nothing beyond dislike. He has no intention of seeing her again, and as far as he knows there is little chance he will even lay eyes on her until he returns Belkar to Azure City. In fact, if he never sees her again he will be a happier man for it. Why go out of his way to get her even angrier at him, thereby increasing his chances of encountering her again, especially when he could use the favour to benefit the party?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-03-25, 08:29 AM
I agree with Magus, Roy wouldn't waste his favour on mearly trying to annoy her, that something Belkar may try to do

Karkadinn
2006-03-25, 10:43 AM
Particularly given that she's been vexed close to a mental breakdown already. Roy's smart enough to not poke an already enraged tiger with a stick.

The Doctor
2006-03-25, 11:12 AM
Here you find out how silver weapons are made in D&D. At the very bottom of that page. It's an alchemical process where silver is bonded to regular steel weapons.

I recently had a character delve into how to create alchemical silvered weapons.
She came up with what she called a modified thermo-inducted ionising argentite condensator, which roughly translates to a device that uses in acid dissolved silver, heated into a gas, to coat a weapons with an evenly distributed layer.

RBloom0566
2006-03-25, 11:38 AM
Apparently can't expect Friday's strip by Friday, being as it's Saturday.

SimonMoon5
2006-03-25, 12:02 PM
Apparently can't expect Friday's strip by Friday, being as it's Saturday.

You mean, "Saturday's strip", surely.

I thought the Giant had switched to a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday schedule. :D

So, Saturday's strip won't be late till Sunday.

:D

Leveller
2006-03-25, 12:08 PM
he's at a convetntion atm..

Renloth
2006-03-25, 12:19 PM
Well, there is that thing in the comics section saying he can't get to a computer, and that it will be posted when he can...

Alfryd
2006-03-25, 12:31 PM
Rich is at a hotel in Memphis, TN, where, it seems, they don't have internet access. He's currently in search for the 21st Century, will post the comic when he finds it.
Ah. My mistake.

Waitaminute. How'd'e post that then?

Eriol
2006-03-25, 12:36 PM
I recently had a character delve into how to create alchemical silvered weapons.
She came up with what she called a modified thermo-inducted ionising argentite condensator, which roughly translates to a device that uses in acid dissolved silver, heated into a gas, to coat a weapons with an evenly distributed layer.
Can you electroplate silver? That seems easiest... and they could have easily done that (batteries are really low-tech... don't always need to understand the principals of WHY it works to see (and use) the effects).

Invariel
2006-03-25, 12:50 PM
Ah. My mistake.

He has a phone, and other people who are capable of putting up informative filler. (Not me.)

zibeck
2006-03-25, 12:55 PM
Ah. My mistake.

That's what I want to know!

He has a phone, and other people who are capable of putting up informative filler. (Not me.)

Spoil sport.

Marller
2006-03-25, 01:27 PM
I think the filler is a good one.
Imagine the Giant looking on a map as he walks past Roy on the way to the blacksmith. :)

Grunjon
2006-03-25, 01:34 PM
Looks like Rich should have taken me up on my offer at the end of page 10. Oh, well...other plans now. :-/

Mal_the_Mad
2006-03-25, 01:37 PM
I had a similar image only with a medievil looking laptop that had a cord dangling. and a shop ye ol' magikal communika shoppe. but it had the old aol logo

Merc_Kilsek
2006-03-25, 01:43 PM
I had not considered things from this perspective. Still, Roy's not that vindictive.

Agreed however his father could be another matter.

SumGuy
2006-03-25, 03:37 PM
Despite lacking any illustration, I think this is the best "filler comic" yet. PLLLLEAASE put it in the extras when you come back!!!

Soul_Selim
2006-03-25, 03:46 PM
I Love this Comic.

I think I will make a cult of it.... The Cult of Filler #....3?

Eriol
2006-03-25, 05:00 PM
Because I feel like nitpicking ( ;D), shouldn't the message say "in search of the 21st century"?

Brother_Hood
2006-03-25, 06:35 PM
I find it hard to believe he can't just find a starbucks, B&N, or whatnot. I mean, I live 3.5 hrs due South of Memphis and I can find one quick. :)

Holy_Knight
2006-03-25, 07:24 PM
I find it hard to believe he can't just find a starbucks, B&N, or whatnot. I mean, I live 3.5 hrs due South of Memphis and I can find one quick. :)

Regarding your signature, it's actually "...it surely means that I don't know". (Best Song Ever).

--HK

infiniteviking
2006-03-25, 09:05 PM
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/ideal_gases_under_constant.htm
Apt, very apt! Thanks for the link!

muhrbrand
2006-03-25, 09:21 PM

I used to travel the states by car, and I remember that whenever I wanted to get online, I'd casually pull in at the first "Best Western" motel I could find, break out the ol' wireless card, and start skyping home for an hour or two, enjoying the privacy of their parking lot :)

That particular motel chain apparently had a strict policy of NOT encrypting their wireless access point :)

So Rich... get thee to a Best Western 8)

BelkarsDagger
2006-03-25, 09:24 PM
Hmm I dont follow the comic online. to much hassle. i just wait for the books to come out ::). but yeah it still owns. i like Elan. Belkars good too. ;D

dragon95046
2006-03-25, 10:11 PM
I used to travel the states by car, and I remember that whenever I wanted to get online, I'd casually pull in at the first "Best Western" motel I could find, break out the ol' wireless card, and start skyping home for an hour or two, enjoying the privacy of their parking lot :)

That particular motel chain apparently had a strict policy of NOT encrypting their wireless access point :)

So Rich... get thee to a Best Western 8)

I am sure Rich will heed your advice once he has access to the message boards and reads it. ;D

TinSoldier
2006-03-25, 10:16 PM
I'm using the mental internet to contact him right now. The more nodes we have, the more info we can send him. BUT, no one think of SPOILERS! ;D

tothecornfield
2006-03-25, 10:19 PM
Wow 297 is the best strip ever. Haley and Elan are going to have alot to talk about. Roy's sword is so incredibly awesome. I am going to miss Durkon but I couldn't think of a better send off.

Swashbuckler
2006-03-25, 10:42 PM
Nice try, cheesewad. ;D

goblin
2006-03-26, 03:10 AM
Wow 297 is the best strip ever. Haley and Elan are going to have alot to talk about. Roy's sword is so incredibly awesome. I am going to miss Durkon but I couldn't think of a better send off.

why would you miss durkon? he isn't going anywhere any time soon.

EscherEnigma
2006-03-26, 05:18 AM
's a joke. 297 isn't up, due to lack of the 21st century in Memphis.

Frank
2006-03-26, 05:58 AM
Doesn't Rich need his upgraded program to write the comics anyways? What if he doesn't use a laptop to write the comics, and didn't have time to upload the program to a laptop?

And if I were in Memphis, I'd go say "hi" to the #1 seeded team that just got knocked off in a bad way by an overacheiving UCLA team and seeing all sorts of Elvis memorabilia.

But that's just me.

More praise for 296. wah wah wah.

-Frank

ILOVEKAREN
2006-03-26, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure how posting suggestions here would help. I mean, if he could get online to read them, couldn't he upload the comic?

Unless, of course, one of his cohorts reads them, and phones him with suggestion. In which case - FedexKinko's?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-03-26, 01:29 PM
Or Starbucks, assuming he posesses wireless and is willing to buy overpriced espresso and/or be guilt-tripped by a barista.

You know, I recall having a similar problem with a school project when I stayed at my girlfriend's house for a weekend. Silly dialup-having girl. Silly not-working-on-dialup Virtual Private Network. The point is, procrastination is the root of all failure. Well, alright, Rich left Wednesday, so he couldn't really have done it from home...still...

GeekDaddy
2006-03-26, 02:35 PM
In order to find the 21st Century, he must first be in the 21st Century. Just take the phone cord out of the phone in the room. Set your dial-up program to dial the numbers needed for an outside line and then dial the local access number there for your ISP.

It's not all that difficult. I've done that in hotel rooms all over the US.

RawBearNYC
2006-03-26, 02:44 PM
In order to find the 21st Century, he must first be in the 21st Century. Just take the phone cord out of the phone in the room. Set your dial-up program to dial the numbers needed for an outside line and then dial the local access number there for your ISP.

It's not all that difficult. I've done that in hotel rooms all over the US.
That assumes that you have an ISP that offers dialup access.

humanpylon
2006-03-26, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure how posting suggestions here would help. I mean, if he could get online to read them, couldn't he upload the comic?

Unless, of course, one of his cohorts reads them, and phones him with suggestion. In which case - FedexKinko's?

Just happened to notice that this post made your post count 666. oooooh spoooooky! :P

Steward
2006-03-26, 03:15 PM
Just happened to notice that this post made your post count 666. oooooh spoooooky! :P

Number of the Beast! SMITE EVIL!

Finwe
2006-03-26, 04:01 PM
Seems apropriate :D (http://nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040320)

Leveller
2006-03-26, 05:00 PM
Number of the Beast! SMITE EVIL!

didnt they find out that the number of the beast really was 616? Like they re-translated something or whatever it was lol.

Tomada
2006-03-26, 05:13 PM
Aren't there kind enough readers to borrow their internet connect to Rich in Memphis? Just so he can upload the comic?

GeekDaddy
2006-03-26, 05:45 PM
That assumes that you have an ISP that offers dialup access.

OK, worst case scenario: Run out to the nearest Wal-Mart/Best Buy/CompUSA/Staples/Office Depot/OfficeMax or any of a hundred other retail outlets where you can pick up a copy of the AOL Install disk. Take it back to the hotel room, install it using the 1075 free hours plan, dial up and do your thing.

Or, better yet, offer a free autographed shirt to the first person at the con who will let you use their internet connection to upload the strip :)

Tomada
2006-03-26, 07:51 PM
OK, worst case scenario: Run out to the nearest Wal-Mart/Best Buy/CompUSA/Staples/Office Depot/OfficeMax or any of a hundred other retail outlets where you can pick up a copy of the AOL Install disk. Take it back to the hotel room, install it using the 1075 free hours plan, dial up and do your thing.

Or, better yet, offer a free autographed shirt to the first person at the con who will let you use their internet connection to upload the strip :)

Nah, he probably just needs to ask.

Melnor
2006-03-26, 07:51 PM
I officially hate Memphis.

Steward
2006-03-26, 08:46 PM

Memphis? Is that a new swarm mob that your DM just unleashed on you?

The_Inquisitor
2006-03-26, 11:09 PM
Noooooo!!!

Darkspear
2006-03-27, 12:29 AM
didnt they find out that the number of the beast really was 616? Like they re-translated something or whatever it was lol.

666 is Neron Caesar
616 is Nero Caesar.

Both were accepted spellings.

Peptuck
2006-03-27, 01:49 AM

As a born and bred Memphian who's lived here his entir elife, I would have to stalwartly agree :P

Grunjon
2006-03-27, 07:01 AM
I officially hate Memphis.Hey! I live here! Go ahead and hate the mayor, the city council, the school board and former state senator John Ford...but don't hate Memphis. It's not the fault of Memphis that the comic isn't posted.

It may be the fault of that hotel (http://www.midsouthcon.org/pages/hotel.html), though. Or is it? Let's see which hotel it is:

Once again MidSouthCon will be held at the airport Holiday Inn Select (a former Hilton with over 20,000 square feet of function space). It is same wonderful hotel as we have used for the last several years. It is located on 2240 Democrat (at Airways) in Memphis, TN. The phone # is (901) 332-1130
Hmmm...if you look up info about this hotel (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/memdr), it DOES say it offers "free wireless high speed internet access". If you click that link, it's mentioned in the first paragraph under the "Welcome" section. It's also listed in the Amenities, as the bullet point under "Outdoor Pool".

Perhaps Giant just missed the boat somehow?...

Grunjon
2006-03-27, 07:08 AM
Okay, I just called the hotel and asked them what's up with their internet access. She said it was down Friday and Saturday, but got repaired and was up since yesterday.

Damn Road Runner/Time Warner Cable. >:(

phillyphil
2006-03-27, 07:56 AM
I don't know how many of you go to Cons but honestly I think once the Giant arrived at the hotel, Getting the comic up was the least of his worries. There is just entirely too much to do to let the mundania of the real world get to you.

Prolegomena
2006-03-27, 08:27 AM
Okay, I just called the hotel and asked them what's up with their internet access.(

Man its a good job we've got you to check up on The Giant...

afarrell
2006-03-27, 09:57 AM
Er, just because the convention's in that hotel doesn't mean the Giant is.

thequeenmac
2006-03-27, 10:01 AM
starbucks...lol.. if nothing else they have highspeed and you can hook up for a while. you know? :-/

chaospet
2006-03-27, 10:39 AM
I don't know how many of you go to Cons but honestly I think once the Giant arrived at the hotel, Getting the comic up was the least of his worries. There is just entirely too much to do to let the mundania of the real world get to you.

Not to complain, but it seems like getting the comic up is typically the least of his worries.

Zann
2006-03-27, 11:19 AM
Exactly. I mean, he doesn't even get payed to do it! He only does it for the love of his fans.

Which is worth it though.

RBloom0566
2006-03-27, 12:53 PM
Friday's is lost and now Monday's is in danger.
Wednesday will probably be the first comic we see.

theKOT
2006-03-27, 12:56 PM
Actually, seeing as the convention ended yesterday and the Giant already had friday's ready, I would bet we get a comic sometime today.

lofrothepirate
2006-03-27, 12:56 PM
Well, I would note that the love of his fans is also what sells the books, so I'm not sure how valid that is... In any case, there's little to be done about internet troubles, so I'm not complaining.

-E

Sanctu
2006-03-27, 01:35 PM
Just this weekend I was recalling how, with a certain internet provider we had at the time, every time by partner and I went away for a while -- a weekend to a con or to the mountains, a week's vacation, a single evening over a friend's house, whatever -- our internet connection would go down after we left, sometimes within minutes of us leaving, EVERY time. It would be down for as long as we were gone, and often far longer. Once a week after I had to treaten to not pay them for this month's service, because we got none, before they considered fixing the changes they made on their end.

Ah... venting...

Have/hope you had a good con, Giant, and every one else who went.

Oh, and great comic. You know, Roy seems a lot like many gamers I know.

*continues listening to bits of _walking in Memphis_ in his head*

crjohn0
2006-03-27, 02:55 PM

I'll bite and state what you are getting at (and hope I won't be banned on my first post).

As a practiced procrastinator, it looks like we are getting fed a bad excuse for why the comic isn't yet published. In reality, it was probably never created. I don't doubt the Giant's good intentions, but he probably got too busy and just didn't create the comic. Then, when push came to shove, rather than admit he hadn't done it, he posts an excuse.

As you correctly point out, there are a number of ways around his excuse. A little bit of gumption could overcome lack of internet access at one hotel. Tennessee might be in the south, but it isn't totally devoid of technology. . . especially a city the size of Memphis.

It would be better had he communicated his possible conflicts and said he would post a strip if he had time. That would at least aleviate the frustration of the broken schedule.

I vote that OOTS go back to twice a week updates. At least he could meet the demands of that type of schedule.

theKOT
2006-03-27, 03:44 PM
I think it is more likely that the Hotel doesn't offer internet access, and the Giant is too busy right now to install anything. I mean, he was at a convention. Sure, he could have run out to a store, gotten a free trial cd, installed it, registered.... but that's gonna take some time. Time I'll bet he doesn't have. I think the "bad excuse" was just an attempt at being funny, and you are reading into it a bit too much. Let's face it, no matter where you are there is usually a way to access the internet, but like I stated, it takes time and he is at a convention doing stuff. I think it is really cynical of you to assume that he just doesn't have it.

He is currently updating between 2 and three times a week, depending on what happens. Why would you want to forfeit an extra comic once and again? Just so you know exactly when it will be updated? Keep in mind, usually, when a comic is late or skipped, it is due to an emergency, health issues, or a convention. If none of those things happen, all of the comics typically get up on time.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-03-27, 03:48 PM
Holy cow. I wouldn't wish installing AOL on my worst enemy's computer! That's no solution to the problem. AOL will screw your computer up in an instant.

It doesn't matter what the reason for not posting the comic is. Face it, we're all paying the low low price of FREE for the comics and we should be grateful for the comics, when we get them.

GKBeetle
2006-03-27, 04:07 PM
I vote that OOTS go back to twice a week updates. At least he could meet the demands of that type of schedule.

NO WAY! At least we usually get 3 comics a week. Who cares if he misses one every so often. That doesn't bother me one bit. Then again, I'm not one who gets mad if one is late. I usually only check the site the day after the comic is supposed to be posted, because it is usually up by then. Anyway, as long as we are getting the comic for free, I don't care when it's posted(as long as it's posted eventually).

Gleanerizer
2006-03-27, 04:08 PM
I'll bite and state what you are getting at (and hope I won't be banned on my first post).

As a practiced procrastinator, it looks like we are getting fed a bad excuse for why the comic isn't yet published. In reality, it was probably never created. I don't doubt the Giant's good intentions, but he probably got too busy and just didn't create the comic.
???

I don't have much to say here except that whenever the Giant hasn't been able to make a comic on time, he hasn't been shy about stating such.

Ironfang
2006-03-27, 04:21 PM
It never ceases to amaze and anger me the number of comment the Giant gets about late / missing comics. As it has been said before, the guy is posting a free webcomic and you are complaining.

What do you do with your time? Do you do anything constructive for thousands of people? Or do you just troll these boards causing grief waiting for a new comic.

I could see the Giant getting fed up with this crap and dropping this gig for a steady paying job because of a few bad comments.

Too bad his website admin team couldn't block your IP addresses from seeing the comic at all.

Finwe
2006-03-27, 04:22 PM
As long as we eventually get hte comics, I'm happy :). I'm sure Rich has a perfectly valid reason for the comic not being up yet.

Vengeful_Hand
2006-03-27, 04:37 PM
I have to agree with IronFang here. The man is at a Con, for goodness sakes. This is a weekend for fun and excitement. Neither this comic nor we are the driving force of his life or schedule and have no grounds whatsoever to complain at all.

Gleanerizer is right to. When a comic isn't done, the Giant tells us so. He doesn't need excuses.

Let the man do his thing, and include a comic when he's ready. I hope he had a great weekend without thoughts of our impatience in the corners of his brain.