PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fabulously Fallacious Spells and Features

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-28, 02:00 PM
Make a feature or a spell that represents one of the logical fallacies, where its effect is based the fallacy in question.

The feature can be a class feature for an existing class, a subclass feature for a custom subclass or a feat. Can you do it?

BerzerkerUnit
2019-06-28, 02:59 PM
Make a feature or a spell that represents one of the logical fallacies, where its effect is based the fallacy in question.

The feature can be a class feature for an existing class, a subclass feature for a custom subclass or a feat. Can you do it?

Straw Man Argument (Bard, Wizard)
Level 6 Illusion
Casting Time: Reaction
Range: 10 feet
Components: M (a bit of straw)
Duration: Instantaneous
When another creature in range attempts to persuade or Charm you or anyone else you can cast this spell which creates a Scarecrow (see MM). The Scarecrow appears with 40 temporary hit points and deals additional damage equal to your Proficiency bonus. It acts immediately and on the triggering creature's initiative and attempts to kill them. Any Charm effect the target was attempting to use targets the Scarecrow instead while the sudden disruption causes the current persuasion attempt to fail.

Slippery Slope
Level 2 Enchantment (Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 10 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute
You make a Deception or Intimidation check as part of casting the spell. The target can resist with an Insight check as a Reaction. On a failure the target is pushed 10 feet and suffers 4d6 psychic damage. You can continue to make opposed checks as a bonus action on each of your turns. Each time the target fails they are pushed 10 feet and suffer an additional 1d6 psychic damage.
Casting at higher levels: When you cast this spell with a higher level spell slot, you deal an additional d6 of initial damage and all pushes move the target an additional 10 feet for each level above 2.

Nirvana Fallacy (Bard, Wizard, Druid)
Level 9 Abjuration
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a piece of clockwork)
Duration: 24 hours
For the duration of this spell, any attack roll or skill check made against you that is not a natural 20 misses or fails.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-28, 03:20 PM
Red Herring
Level 4 Illusion spell

Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Self (Radius of 30 feet)
Components: Red ink and a drop of fish oil.
Duration: 4 hours.
For the duration of this spell, you and creatures within the radius give off incorrect information when targeted by Divination magic or when searched for. Divination magic will instead detect a similar object or creature that is outside of radius of the spell, and attempts to search for you will reveal anomalies in your tracks, such as replacing your footsteps with those of hooves, or leaving behind a trail of ash. You may pick up to 3 different effects to disguise your tracks with, however you can only replace evidence of your travels, and cannot remove it.

Tu Quoque (Appeal to Hypocrisy):
Level 2 Abjuration Spell
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, a creature is dealt damage that they are Resistant or Vulnerable to.
Range: 60 feet.
Components: A nail twisted into a circle.
Duration: One Minute

When a target creature receives damage that they are resistant or vulnerable to by another creature, the damage dealing creature gains that same resistance or vulnerability as the triggering damage type.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-28, 04:35 PM
This looks like too much fun for me not to participate.

Feat: Personal Incredulity
Because you found something difficult to understand, you made out like it's probably not true.

When targeted by a spell that allows you to make a Wisdom or Intelligence saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll a DC 10 Intelligence Ability Check. On fail, you can roll the saving throw with advantage.

Maat Mons
2019-06-28, 06:03 PM
"If I can't see you, then you can't see me." A lower-level version of invisibility that only works when your eyes are closed.

"Pics or it didn't happen!" Undo one effect from the last round.

"No true Scotsman." Choose one creature and ignore any resistances and immunities it gains from it's creature type, because it's not a true whatever-it-is.

Squire Doodad
2019-06-28, 06:15 PM
I'd type a response, but to do that I'd have to get halfway done with it, and then half of what's left, and then half of that and so and so forth. Therefore, I cannot give you an answer, because homebrew challenges are impossible!

Actually a spell based on Zeno of Elea's paradoxes vis a vis motion would be interesting. I don't want to think much about it now, but it would probably be sort of a pseudo-mass hold person; everyone can still function and attack and such, but any attempts to charge or move are instantly nullified (charging probably inflicts minor damage on the user, as if they hit an invisible wall), anyone falling will not touch the ground until the effect is over, and projectile attacks/magic are prevented; anything currently in effect stops (but not magic itself, meaning instant buffs and stuff should be fine though a spell with a cast time or that involves something moving, like fireball, are not.)

Essentially:
Attacking, Potion using: Yes
Throwing, Shooting: No
Breathing, existing: Yes
Magic, instant: Yes
Magic, projectile: No
Magic, requires cast time: No
No fall damage is taken until the spell wears off

Not sure if this is overpowered or not

Huh...if you were to use that just as the melee characters got to the archers and stuff, it'd allow for a very easy sweep unless its highly limited.

King of Nowhere
2019-06-28, 06:34 PM
I'd type a response, but to do that I'd have to get halfway done with it, and then half of what's left, and then half of that and so and so forth. Therefore, I cannot give you an answer, because homebrew challenges are impossible!

Actually a spell based on Zeno of Elea's paradoxes vis a vis motion would be interesting. I don't want to think much about it now, but it would probably be sort of a pseudo-mass hold person; everyone can still function and attack and such, but any attempts to charge or move are instantly nullified (charging probably inflicts minor damage on the user, as if they hit an invisible wall), anyone falling will not touch the ground until the effect is over, and projectile attacks/magic are prevented; anything currently in effect stops (but not magic itself, meaning instant buffs and stuff should be fine though a spell with a cast time or that involves something moving, like fireball, are not.)

Essentially:
Attacking, Potion using: Yes
Throwing, Shooting: No
Breathing, existing: Yes
Magic, instant: Yes
Magic, projectile: No
Magic, requires cast time: No
No fall damage is taken until the spell wears off

Not sure if this is overpowered or not

Huh...if you were to use that just as the melee characters got to the archers and stuff, it'd allow for a very easy sweep unless its highly limited.

You just got me the idea I needed to participate:

Zeno evasion: (spell)
whenever a creature charges or moves to attack the target of the spell, the moving creature instead stops one square too short. Whenever an area effect, ranged attack or ranged touch attack would affect the target of the spell, the effect ends one square before it. 5-foot steps are not affected.
A creature passing the saving throw is immune for the duration of the spell; A creature that keeps attempting to reach the target of the spell is allowed a new saving throw every round.
Having at least 5 ranks in knowledge (calculus) makes one automatically immune to this spell.

EDIT: I also got this one:
argomentum ad ignorantiam(barbarian class feature)
you can ignore an immunity of an enemy as long as you don't know that the enemy has that immunity. To use this ability, you must make the appropriate knowledge check, and fail it.

Squire Doodad
2019-06-28, 06:54 PM
You just got me the idea I needed to participate:

Zeno evasion: (spell)
whenever a creature charges or moves to attack the target of the spell, the moving creature instead stops one square too short. Whenever an area effect, ranged attack or ranged touch attack would affect the target of the spell, the effect ends one square before it. 5-foot steps are not affected.
A creature passing the saving throw is immune for the duration of the spell; A creature that keeps attempting to reach the target of the spell is allowed a new saving throw every round.
Having at least 5 ranks in knowledge (calculus) makes one automatically immune to this spell.

EDIT: I also got this one:
argomentum ad ignorantiam(barbarian class feature)
you can ignore an immunity of an enemy as long as you don't know that the enemy has that immunity. To use this ability, you must make the appropriate knowledge check, and fail it.

It should be "knowledge (mathematics)" or whatever the more generalized version is. Also, it should halve the range. If someone charges at you from 20 feet away, they will stop 10 feet away as if running into a wall. From there, a second charge brings them to 5 feet. At (smallest unit of measurement) away, they just don't move, though they can still swing the sword at you.

Phhase
2019-06-28, 07:23 PM
You have successfully roused my inner creator with your lovely challenge. Thusly:

The Price (Sunk Cost Fallacy)
8th level Necromancy
Duration: 1 minute (Concentration)
Focus: a weapon you are proficient with

Upon casting, the caster begins to focus on an enemy and charge their weapon with arcane energy. On casting and every round thereafter, the wielder may forgo any attacks and use their action to continue focusing on the enemy, losing 9% of their maximum health (Calculating from the original) in return for dealing 150% of that amount in damage on their next weapon attack. The spell is lost if the target moves out of sight, or if the caster takes any action other than moving or focusing. Attacking discharges the spell. If at least 5 rounds have been spent charging, deal an additional 1d8 damage per round charged and receive +2 to the next attack roll. Once discharged, the caster regains all maximum hp (but NOT current hp) lost.

Impure Revalation
Twice per short rest, you may attempt to magically reveal any attempt at duplicity or disguise (Magical or not). With a zealous accusation that no TRUE <X> would <Y>, make a Charisma check contested by the enemy's wisdom save (or spell save if targeting a suspected static illusion). On a success, the trickery is revealed. On a failure, force all in earshot to save versus your spell save or become convinced that expressed suspicions are false. If attempting to accuse an entity that has nothing hidden, or making an entirely spurious accusation, the target must make a save versus your spellpower to avoid aggroing on you for 2 rounds.

DuctTapeKatar
2019-06-30, 05:12 PM
Catch-22
2nd Level Abjuration
Duration: Until the target casts Catch-22
Range: 15ft

This spell causes one target to lose the ability to cast spells or use magical items until the caster allows them to, or by learning the spell on their own.

This spell can be deactivated by casting Catch-22 onto oneself, or onto the creature which afflicted the target with Catch-22.

Kane0
2019-06-30, 10:48 PM
Claim of Authority
Enchantment Cantrip

Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You attempt to justify yourself by citing your credentials rather than evidence. For the duration, one creature of your choice suffers disadvantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Insight) checks against you. When the spell ends, the creature realizes that it was deceived but your claims, real or imagined.

Picked Cherry
2nd-level Transmutation

Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 30 feet casting a spell that targets multiple creatures
Range: 60 feet
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous

You attempt to alter the argument spell by using just one portion of it while discarding the rest. Select one target of the spell, that target is not affected by the spell and you can instead choose another valid target within range for the spell to affect.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can change one additional target for each spell slot above 2nd

Edit: I also petition that this thread be renamed 'Fabulously fallacious spells and features'