PDA

View Full Version : Will Druid Spell 'Strong Jaw' increase the power of a Monk's Unarmed Strikes?

BlueWitch
2019-06-28, 04:38 PM
Druids (and Rangers) have access to a spell called Strong Jaw

It makes Natural Attacks deal damage as though they were 2 Size Categories larger.
Unarmed Strikes are Natural Attacks, aren't they?

So could a Druid use it on their Monk pal?

If a Level 20 Monk were able to reap the benefits of this spell, how much damage wold they deal? (Since they already do 2d10)

And also, would it stack with Enlarge Person?

Eldariel
2019-06-28, 05:04 PM
Druids (and Rangers) have access to a spell called Strong Jaw

It makes Natural Attacks deal damage as though they were 2 Size Categories larger.
Unarmed Strikes are Natural Attacks, aren't they?

So could a Druid use it on their Monk pal?

If a Level 20 Monk were able to reap the benefits of this spell, how much damage wold they deal? (Since they already do 2d10)

And also, would it stack with Enlarge Person?

I assume this is Pathfinder? In any case, virtual size increases (such as Strong Jaw) and actual size increases (such as Enlarge Person) should stack just fine as they affect different things. A Gargantuan Monk 20 would have 2d10 > 4d8 > 6d8 > 8d8 UA damage.

BlueWitch
2019-06-28, 07:00 PM
I assume this is Pathfinder? In any case, virtual size increases (such as Strong Jaw) and actual size increases (such as Enlarge Person) should stack just fine as they affect different things. A Gargantuan Monk 20 would have 2d10 > 4d8 > 6d8 > 8d8 UA damage.

Man, that sounds effing lit!
I can already hear the punch sound effects! xD

Biggus
2019-06-28, 07:37 PM
Yes Strong Jaw works on a Monk's unarmed strikes. As to whether it stacks with Enlarge Person, there's no clear answer to that, you'd need to ask your DM.

EDIT: there's no clear answer in 3.5, if you're playing PF, it appears there is.

Rynjin
2019-06-28, 08:01 PM
There is an existing build based around this concept, actually, that was pretty popular a while back.

It does NOT stack with Enlarge person, however.

From the FAQ:

As per the rules on size changes, size changes do not stack, so if you have multiple size changing effects (for instance an effect that increases your size by one step and another that increases your size by two steps), only the largest applies. The same is true of effective size increases (which includes “deal damage as if they were one size category larger than they actually are,” “your damage die type increases by one step,” and similar language). They don’t stack with each other, just take the biggest one. However, you can have one of each and they do work together (for example, enlarge person increasing your actual size to Large and a bashing shield increasing your shield’s effective size by two steps, for a total of 2d6 damage).

Said FAQ came about BECAUSE of the popularity of said Monk/Druid build in Pathfinder Society actually, to effectively kill the build. Though not entirely; it's still pretty solid.

Psyren
2019-06-28, 08:49 PM
There is an existing build based around this concept, actually, that was pretty popular a while back.

It does NOT stack with Enlarge person, however.

From the FAQ:

Said FAQ came about BECAUSE of the popularity of said Monk/Druid build in Pathfinder Society actually, to effectively kill the build. Though not entirely; it's still pretty solid.

You need to reread the entry you quoted (or just read Eldariel's post); yes, those two actually do stack, because one is an actual size increase (Enlarge Person) and the other is a virtual size increase (Strong Jaw).

Rynjin
2019-06-28, 09:12 PM
Whoops, I was sure I remembered it being the other way around, so I just skimmed it to refresh. I hit the line "They don’t stack with each other, just take the biggest one." and stopped reading. -.-'