PDA

View Full Version : Templated ooze

Dhavaer
2007-10-08, 05:20 AM
1: What would a half-dragon gelatinous cube look like?

2: Would it have - Int, or 2?

Cogwheel
2007-10-08, 05:26 AM
Two int. Use celestial/fiendish, though, and you have 3 int, allowing for class levels.

Viva la cheese!

The_Snark
2007-10-08, 05:28 AM
Dragons truly have no standards.

Cogwheel
2007-10-08, 05:33 AM
Standards? This is D&D!

...Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bender
2007-10-08, 05:57 AM

scaly :smallcool:

The breath weapon or wings require some imagination. a hole opens in the transparent goo and out of nowhere a flame erupts
The wings are probably some kind of extentions the cube only manifests when he needs to fly.

I've been thinking about using one of those for a while

Dhavaer
2007-10-08, 05:59 AM
The breath weapon or wings require some imagination.

It's the claws and, worse, the bite that were giving me trouble.

Bender
2007-10-08, 06:28 AM
I'd just give it extra slams that could be sharper pseudopods, capable of piercing an slashing damage. The bite is just one that does more damage but doesn't hit as often.

I guess it's fair that only one slam can have acid damage, but I'm no expert

Darrin
2007-10-08, 07:01 AM

Something like one of these, maybe?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-08, 07:44 AM
You think that's scary?

5 words:

Half-Blue Dragon Shambling Mound.:smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-08, 08:40 AM
2: Would it have - Int, or 2?
Unlike some templates (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersEtoF.html#fiendish-creature), there is no provision for the half-dragon to have a minimum Intelligence. So we should treat it like a normal ability increase. Since creatures with nonabilities don't gain any benefit from ability increases as they simply have no ability to increase, the Intelligence modifier would give the Ooze no benefit.

Leon
2007-10-08, 08:53 AM
You think that's scary?

5 words:

Half-Blue Dragon Shambling Mound.:smallbiggrin:

I like your thinking :smallsmile:

Quietus
2007-10-08, 10:53 AM
As far as appearance goes, I'd give it a roughly animalistic shape, clearly it's TRYING to appear like some kind of four-legged creature with distinct body parts... but only a spot check would reveal that it's got "wings" that are hanging limp across its body, and that it is most definitely trying to look like a dragon, even if it's failing.

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 02:49 PM
My first though is that it looks like a normal gelatinous cube...except its pseudopods have teeth and/or claws. Which wouldn't be made of bone, but solidified fragments of its own slimy composition.

Being Large, it has wings. I'd say it has the ability to extrude them from its body, rather then have them be attached. Note that its fly speed will be 30 feet, same as an unencumbered Medium creature. And it still has Dex 1. It's not going to look graceful in flight :smalltongue:

Its breath weapon might emit from a pseudopod, perhaps a teeth bearing one...but then again, I find myself oddly amused by the thought of the thing simply opening a hole in its side and a cone of acid coming out of it.

The natural armor bonus, hmm...probably more of the solid slime mention above, layered in tiny scale-shaped pieces around the edges of the cube. Of course, even with the natural armor its AC is only 8, so this is more of a flavor detail.

goat
2007-10-08, 03:20 PM
Dragons truly have no standards.

You know how it is, you get to 800 years old and it's just hard to get excited the way you did at 150. You just start trying new things in an attempt to get the spice back...

0oo0
2007-10-08, 05:01 PM
I'm very temped to play a half fiend cube next time my DM isn't really paying attention to my character concept pitch...

What would be the level adjustment on it?

Bender
2007-10-09, 12:51 AM
I'm very temped to play a half fiend cube next time my DM isn't really paying attention to my character concept pitch...

What would be the level adjustment on it?

probably something negative: -10 on dex, cha and wis gotta hurt. Besides, you wouldn't be able to enter most buildings.
A very lenient DM might allow you to form pods that can hold weapons and produce speech by vibrating your body or a part of it.
I can see it throwing rocks by spitting them out when they are floating inside.

You could also convince your DM that your int isn't changed, because - int isn't the same as 0 int. You can play a wizard! :smallcool: somatic components shouldn't be such a problem, if you can talk, the verbal neither, and you can just pop out the spell components from somewhere inside you..

Dhavaer
2007-10-09, 05:21 AM
A very lenient DM might allow you to form pods that can hold weapons and produce speech by vibrating your body or a part of it.

The Players' Handbook 2 describes an awakened gelatinous cube who can speak by manipulating the vocal cords of heads lodged in his body.

Leon
2007-10-09, 08:27 AM
The Players' Handbook 2 describes an awakened gelatinous cube who can speak by manipulating the vocal cords of heads lodged in his body.

The crime lord

Mr. Moogle
2007-10-09, 08:44 AM
How about it dosent have wings, but its body has become swollen with somee sort of gas (this could also be the breath weapon) and it uses portrusions of goo/timed ejections of gass to move itself?:smallconfused:

You know how it is, you get to 800 years old and it's just hard to get excited the way you did at 150. You just start trying new things in an attempt to get the spice back...

Oh god... thats worse than my "mind flayers using kiss spells" (as kindly noted be pergrine in my sig)

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 04:52 PM
I just realized...half-dragon changes the type, which changes the traits. So, a half-dragon ooze will have the traits of the dragon type. Which does not include immunity to critical hits.

Follow this to its logical conclusion, and this transparent cube of jelly has discernible organs. :eek:

slexlollar89
2007-10-09, 05:06 PM
While that is funny, I don't think it's right. You keep ooze traits, but are now of the dragon type (is this right?). The basis for this being that you cannot lose racial traits (unless by a magical ritual or sumsuch) after getting a template, but you simply gain the benifits of the new one. the type overides the type, but the traits remain.

Besides, jello with organs would not be fun to eat.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-09, 05:11 PM

Transmutation- extra-specie mating since 347.

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 05:12 PM
While that is funny, I don't think it's right. You keep ooze traits, but are now of the dragon type (is this right?). The basis for this being that you cannot lose racial traits (unless by a magical ritual or sumsuch) after getting a template, but you simply gain the benifits of the new one. the type overides the type, but the traits remain.The section on templates says that unless stated otherwise, the resulting creature has the features (BAB, saves, etc.) of the old type and the traits (special qualities, special attacks, etc.) of the new type.

You don't lose racial traits because those aren't type traits.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-09, 05:22 PM
Remember, it's just as much dragon as it is ooze. So it's definitely more solid than a typical ooze. And it's obviously inherited anatomy from its dragon parent.

Kyeudo
2007-10-09, 05:28 PM
Fiendish or possibly Pseudonatural can be applied to an ooze to make it actualy have an Int score. Celestial can't be applied to oozes.

Bender
2007-10-10, 01:06 AM
The section on templates says that unless stated otherwise, the resulting creature has the features (BAB, saves, etc.) of the old type and the traits (special qualities, special attacks, etc.) of the new type.

You don't lose racial traits because those aren't type traits.
half-dragon specifically says you retain all special attacks and qualities of the base creature.

I'm picturing a gummybear-like gummydragon now, the colour depending on the type of dragon.
tasty...
That way it can attack with bite and claw attacks, but is still able to produce pseudopods from anywhere in its body.

slexlollar89
2007-10-10, 01:25 AM
cleric: "Oh gods! It's a fiendish great wrym red dragon!"
fighter: "OH NO! RUUUN!"
rogue: "why is it oozing out of it's nose and mouth? Does anyone else find that gross?"
fighter: "WHO FREIKING CARES!? HE"LL KILL US ALL!"
rogue: "maybe it's also ome kind of ooze...?"
cleric: "what in the gods collective names gives you that idea? Where whould such a beast come from?"
rogue: "well, wizards do some crazy thngs, and so do feinds, and dragons. And I guess when a fiendsh red dragon really loves a feindish black pudding..."
fighter: "enough! HEY DRAGON THING! I ET GUMMY DRAGONS LIKE YOU FOR SNACKS!"

and this is how gummy creatures were introduced to medieval society kids.

Jack Mann
2007-10-10, 01:26 AM
I imagine this horrific abortion of a half-breed with permeable, translucent skin, its various organs and half-formed bones floating within. Its weird, roaming eyes wander ceaselessly throughout the cytoplasm, stopping here at the base of the wings, or over by the golgi apparatus, quick to turn and peer with uncanny insight through darkness or twilight. Its shape is too fixed for it to live properly as an ooze, yet to fluid to be called a dragon. Its wings slide around, sometimes ending up on the same side of the body, yet when it flies, it compensates with precise control over its membrane. It has a head (though the skull floats free from it) and even a mouth, but no throat. It absorbs its food through its skin. Once a day, when the horrific energies barely contained within are too much to bear, a rent opens up in its skin, bursting forth with the fire, ice, acid or electricity contained within. It lives in constant, unthinking agony, barely conscious, less even than an animal.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-10, 07:34 PM
I see it calling a wizard "DADDY!" and crying gelatin tears when he pays more attention to his golem than it.

The Glyphstone
2007-10-10, 07:50 PM

What? I've got the PHBII, and I didn't see that..did you mean the DMGII?

silentknight
2007-10-11, 11:51 AM
It might look like the ooze drake in the Draconomicon.

TimeWizard
2007-10-11, 10:33 PM
I can't resist this... The Oozemaster PrC! Best. Concept. Ever. You can shapeshift into an Ooze. It's oozy, and it's actually a real class.

Edit: off topic, but the ooze, The Ooze!

Jasdoif
2007-10-11, 11:07 PM
What? I've got the PHBII, and I didn't see that..did you mean the DMGII?No, it's in PHBII. Check the Restenford Sewerworkers Guild affiliation.

Bender
2007-10-12, 01:01 AM
I can't resist this... The Oozemaster PrC! Best. Concept. Ever. You can shapeshift into an Ooze. It's oozy, and it's actually a real class.
That's sick, I just have to play that some time :smallbiggrin: