PDA

View Full Version : Buy Crystals online, but like, for real I need crystals

darkbuu_1
2019-06-29, 09:41 AM
Hey playground.

For reasons I wanted make a psion costume, which means I'm going to need crystals and I'm having trouble trying to find exactly what I'm after. The look I was going for is mostly based on the classic picture of shirtless tattooed guy with the waist-quiver full of crystals. For some reason I assumed coming across large plastic prop crystals like these would be easy to come by but even figuring out what to search for was harder than I imagined, everything is either too small or the wrong shape.

I've mostly been searching for shard and crystal, I thought I solved it searching for DHD Crystals but I think Stargate might be a little too old for me to reliable find prop/replicas to buy.

I was really hoping for 4+, semi transparant crystals about 30cm long, preferable in a few diferent colours.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Douglas
2019-06-29, 10:08 AM
"Buy X online" as a thread title is a very common pattern for spambots, which is probably not the impression you want the title to have.

Tvtyrant
2019-06-29, 11:05 AM
Look up "large acrylic gems" and you will get what you are looking for. Honby lobby has them for $1, other stores not much more.

LibraryOgre
2019-06-29, 02:09 PM
"Buy X online" as a thread title is a very common pattern for spambots, which is probably not the impression you want the title to have.

Yeah, like Douglas, I came in to shut down the suspected spambot. Crystals would be new by me, but given that we've got yearly ads for "Hindu Black Magic" (not even joking), it wouldn't have surprised me.

You're cool. Just be aware of your titles.

Honest Tiefling
2019-06-29, 02:40 PM
If you are crafty, you could try to make your own with epoxy and a mold. Most 'crystal' molds top out at about 5 inches (12 centimeters-ish), but you could just stick two end to end to give it additional length. It still falls a bit short of what you want, but if you put a 'metal' band between the two bits it should be decorative and a better length.

If you don't need to follow a particular pattern, you could also try to mount it on wood to make psionic looking wands. This method would also work if you just buy some acrylic gems as well.

Many of these molds are food safe, so maybe even bring some 'rock' candy to munch on. Probably shouldn't use the same molds as for the resin, but it might make you popular.

The Glyphstone
2019-06-29, 02:41 PM
Great Modthulhu: Also, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Media Discussions, so it makes it look even more spammy. I was real close to a banhammer as well. Gonna move this to Roleplaying Games.

darkbuu_1
2019-06-29, 03:04 PM
Honesty naming my topic this was just too tempting, I couldn't resist. I couldn't figure where would be best to put cosplay related stuff, media seemed sensible but thanks for moving it

I live in England so unfortunatly I don't have access to hobby lobby (even the site seemingly). Unfortunatly the only results I seem to be getting are more along the lines of Gems than a large crystal like rods.

If only I knew how to gem cut an acrylic rod.

The molds look like a good shout, I'll look into that and epoxy casting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LibraryOgre
2019-06-29, 03:13 PM
https://www.geologysuperstore.com/index.php/rocks-minerals-fossils/mineral-specimens/crystals.html

UK address, prices in pounds, they sell crystals. My search term included "geology", which might have helped.