PDA

View Full Version : Repelling Blast Questions

Nagog
2019-06-29, 12:43 PM
Hey ya'll I just have a few questions regarding some of the Invocations that give bonuses to Eldritch Blast, particularly Repelling Blast. In many of the Crowd Control additions such as Lance of Lethargy and Grasp of Hadar list their effects as being viable once per turn able to apply their effect (Reducing movement speed and pulling enemies closer to you, respectively). However, Repelling Blast does not have such a limitation listed. With this distinction, could I cast Eldritch Blast as a 17th level Warlock and blast an enemy back 40 feet if I hit with all 4 beams? If so, are there any other effects that I could apply like that?

Lord Vukodlak
2019-06-29, 12:54 PM
Yep, EB. Creates multiple beams so every hit knocks them back 10ft. In theory one beam could knock them out of range of the following beams.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-29, 12:58 PM
I would take the rule as RAW unless there's an errata out there. Until recently, I never thought of using push attacks to place enemies back into stationary AoEs like Evard's Black Tentacles or Storm Sphere.

Nagog
2019-06-29, 01:03 PM
Yep, EB. Creates multiple beams so every hit knocks them back 10ft. In theory one beam could knock them out of range of the following beams.

I'm taking spell sniper to make sure of that. I may later take Eldritch Spear to buff it to 600 ft just for kicks, but as of now it's not necessary

Chronos
2019-06-29, 01:16 PM
One bonus for using effects like Repelling Blast to push enemies into hazardous-area spells is that a lot of them trigger when you move into the area or start your turn there. Ordinarily, that'd still be just once per round, since enemies would be doing their moving after they start their turn, but if you're moving them in on your turn, you can double up the damage.

Crgaston
2019-06-29, 01:17 PM
You can push them back into Create Bonfire if you’re out of spell slots (or just don’t want to burn any).

If you have a Druid or Ranger ally , Spike Growth is brutal with Repelling Blast, especially if you can Far Step to keep getting the good angle.

Asmotherion
2019-06-29, 01:58 PM
You technically can push them on walls etc for damage as if they fell the distance; Not exactly RAW but a logical assumption.

Personally i also have creatures hit by Repelling Blast pass a DC10 Dex Save or fall prone.

Chronos
2019-06-29, 03:15 PM
"Not exactly RAW" is the opposite of what "technically" means.

JackPhoenix
2019-06-29, 04:10 PM
"Not exactly RAW" is the opposite of what "technically" means.

And it's not "Not exactly RAW", it's "it's got nothing to do with RAW at all".

stoutstien
2019-06-29, 04:14 PM
You technically can push them on walls etc for damage as if they fell the distance; Not exactly RAW but a logical assumption.

Personally i also have creatures hit by Repelling Blast pass a DC10 Dex Save or fall prone.

Wait ..you buffed repelling blast?

Naanomi
2019-06-29, 04:40 PM
Quicken plus Action Surge to shove someone 120’