PDA

View Full Version : AL First Time Sorcadin

firandice
2019-06-29, 04:36 PM
I only have access to AL games and I'm debating making a sorcadin which is a half elf ancients/draconic. First, is it worth it to take the half elf variant for a wizard cantrip (booming blade for no penalty because of bad int) to free up space for my 4 sorc cantrips. Second off, does the spell resistance of ancients offset the flight of draconic in general. I know the spell resistance is campaign specific but im hoping someone with high tier AL experience can help me out. Thanks!

Dork_Forge
2019-06-29, 05:38 PM
I only have access to AL games and I'm debating making a sorcadin which is a half elf ancients/draconic. First, is it worth it to take the half elf variant for a wizard cantrip (booming blade for no penalty because of bad int) to free up space for my 4 sorc cantrips. Second off, does the spell resistance of ancients offset the flight of draconic in general. I know the spell resistance is campaign specific but im hoping someone with high tier AL experience can help me out. Thanks!

What cantrips do you want to take? Start there and it'll help with what variant you want to take and what cantrip to take with it, the Drow variant is worth considering just because it's a decent bump to your casting overall. As for the Draconic Flight, it depends on your level split, it could very well be your capstone ability if you played through to 20. On the other hand there's multiple items in the game that give flight and you gain access to Fly at 5th Sorcery level (which you can double the duration of with metamagic should you want to). Personally I wouldn't worry about the high level stuff like that and consider more the features you'll get use of through out more of the game not your last couple sessions.

NorthernPhoenix
2019-06-29, 05:41 PM
To echo the above, unless you know for sure you'll be playing all the way to near max level, i'd heavily prioritize making build choices that are fun to play especially 1-5 and also 5-10. Those two brackets are likely to be the majority of your play.

firandice
2019-06-29, 06:07 PM
What cantrips do you want to take? Start there and it'll help with what variant you want to take and what cantrip to take with it, the Drow variant is worth considering just because it's a decent bump to your casting overall. As for the Draconic Flight, it depends on your level split, it could very well be your capstone ability if you played through to 20. On the other hand there's multiple items in the game that give flight and you gain access to Fly at 5th Sorcery level (which you can double the duration of with metamagic should you want to). Personally I wouldn't worry about the high level stuff like that and consider more the features you'll get use of through out more of the game not your last couple sessions.

I was planning on taking booming blade as the free cantrip because it has no penalties because it doesn't rely on int. This would free up one of my sorcerer slots. I just don't know if this is a good idea lol

Dork_Forge
2019-06-29, 06:16 PM
I was planning on taking booming blade as the free cantrip because it has no penalties because it doesn't rely on int. This would free up one of my sorcerer slots. I just don't know if this is a good idea lol

There's a lot of cantrips that don't rely on the casting modifier (Mage hand, Prestidigitation, light etc.). 4 Cantrips is quite a lot to start off with, and you'll get more as you level (plus you can take Magic Initiate), so take a look at the Sorc cantrips and try to weigh up if you really need/want to start with 5 at the cost of skills/the other Variant options.

firandice
2019-06-29, 06:46 PM
That's a good point, I haven't really thought about what to replace it with yet :P Maybe booming blade, firebolt (for range), green flame blade, mage hand, and minor illusion all together. Not really sure how much use I'd get out of the last two though to be honest.

sithlordnergal
2019-06-29, 06:47 PM
So, I happen to have a level 20 AL Soradin. As such, I'd actually avoid taking the Cantrip option and either take the Wood Elf's Fleet of Foot for a bit of extra movement speed, the Auquatic Elf's Swiim Speed to allow you to use any weapon without disadvantage while underwater, or take the two extra skill proficencies. The reason being is that, as a Sorcerer, you'll start out with 4 cantrips and gain a 5th at level 4.

Meaning you can take one level of Sorcerer and instantly get Green Flame Blade, Booming Blade, Firebolt, and one other cantrip. Which, as a Soradin, I highly suggest Chill Touch for that last Cantrip. It deals a respectable d8's worth of damage, deals Necrotic energy, prevents the target from being healed by any source, and gives undead hit by it disadvantage on all attacks against you for one round with no concentration.

Now, I noticed you're going Ancients for your Paladin levels. Personally, I'd suggest Wild Magic over Draconic in that scenario because it gives free advantage on almost any d20 roll, and due to you being a Paladin and Oath of the Ancients you'll have a high chance of avoiding the negative things on the Wild Magic Table. So even if you do Fireball yourself, you'll probably do more damage to whoever you're fighting then you will to yourself or your team mates. Though that is a personal preference.

Last but not least, make sure you get War Mage and max out your Charisma. I found that once I reached Tier 4, I primarily became a caster and I find myself Smiting less and less. Though I can still throw down a ton of smite damage if the situation calls for it.

firandice
2019-06-29, 06:58 PM
So, I happen to have a level 20 AL Soradin. As such, I'd actually avoid taking the Cantrip option and either take the Wood Elf's Fleet of Foot for a bit of extra movement speed, the Auquatic Elf's Swiim Speed to allow you to use any weapon without disadvantage while underwater, or take the two extra skill proficencies. The reason being is that, as a Sorcerer, you'll start out with 4 cantrips and gain a 5th at level 4.

Meaning you can take one level of Sorcerer and instantly get Green Flame Blade, Booming Blade, Firebolt, and one other cantrip. Which, as a Soradin, I highly suggest Chill Touch for that last Cantrip. It deals a respectable d8's worth of damage, deals Necrotic energy, prevents the target from being healed by any source, and gives undead hit by it disadvantage on all attacks against you for one round with no concentration.

Now, I noticed you're going Ancients for your Paladin levels. Personally, I'd suggest Wild Magic over Draconic in that scenario because it gives free advantage on almost any d20 roll, and due to you being a Paladin and Oath of the Ancients you'll have a high chance of avoiding the negative things on the Wild Magic Table. So even if you do Fireball yourself, you'll probably do more damage to whoever you're fighting then you will to yourself or your team mates. Though that is a personal preference.

Last but not least, make sure you get War Mage and max out your Charisma. I found that once I reached Tier 4, I primarily became a caster and I find myself Smiting less and less. Though I can still throw down a ton of smite damage if the situation calls for it.

Great info. I was going to get War Caster then max Cha asap like you said. Never thought about wild magic much though to be honest, just saw extra fire damage for gfb and extra health from draconic and was like ooh thats good. I'll think a lot about what you've said thanks.

sithlordnergal
2019-06-29, 07:00 PM
Great info. I was going to get War Caster then max Cha asap like you said. Never thought about wild magic much though to be honest, just saw extra fire damage for gfb and extra health from draconic and was like ooh thats good. I'll think a lot about what you've said thanks.

Yeah, the extra fire damage is nice, and the 1 HP can be handy, but I've found I have more fun with Wild Magic. X3

firandice
2019-06-29, 07:08 PM
Fun > Optimization ;)

Dork_Forge
2019-06-29, 07:24 PM
Fun > Optimization ;)

Just remember that it's up to the DM to call for the surge to reset your Tides of Chaos, the Vow of Emnity from the Vengeance Paladin is a more reliable way of getting advantage.

firandice
2019-06-29, 09:20 PM
Yup I'll have to see how often the dms I get call for the roll (every time I hope ;P)

Snowbluff
2019-06-30, 09:57 AM
Second off, does the spell resistance of ancients offset the flight of draconic in general. I know the spell resistance is campaign specific but im hoping someone with high tier AL experience can help me out. Thanks!

I played a T4 mod where we were dumpstered by 2 meteors. Or we would be, if I wasn't an ancients Paladin with a +6 aura of protection, and our teammates all didn't have evasion. We made it out okay. :3

I will say probably figure out a way to fly otherwise. A good idea is a DM and pick up the social media DM quests for the free Table F unlocks, which can be a broom of flying or winged boots.

firandice
2019-06-30, 11:47 AM
I played a T4 mod where we were dumpstered by 2 meteors. Or we would be, if I wasn't an ancients Paladin with a +6 aura of protection, and our teammates all didn't have evasion. We made it out okay. :3

I will say probably figure out a way to fly otherwise. A good idea is a DM and pick up the social media DM quests for the free Table F unlocks, which can be a broom of flying or winged boots.

Reassuring to hear that aura of warding is good :P

ButzSanchez
2019-06-30, 11:50 PM

I echo a lot of what is said here, but with a warning; talk with your DM before considering even a half-elf Drow. Some DMs don't worry to much about canon material when it comes to the races, but I know a lot who will have all their NPCs treat drow with inherent suspicion and fear. It could severely hurt your roleplaying ability. A good build is great and all, but so is being able to sleep with the rest of the party at a local inn instead of camping alone outside town because the locals chased you away.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-01, 01:14 AM
I echo a lot of what is said here, but with a warning; talk with your DM before considering even a half-elf Drow. Some DMs don't worry to much about canon material when it comes to the races, but I know a lot who will have all their NPCs treat drow with inherent suspicion and fear. It could severely hurt your roleplaying ability. A good build is great and all, but so is being able to sleep with the rest of the party at a local inn instead of camping alone outside town because the locals chased you away.

Well, because it is AL he won't have to worry. Heck, I have a Goblin that is a Noble of Waterdeep, some people find it hilarious, others get annoyed, but they can't do anything because he is an AL Legal character.

ButzSanchez
2019-07-01, 02:03 AM
Well, because it is AL he won't have to worry. Heck, I have a Goblin that is a Noble of Waterdeep, some people find it hilarious, others get annoyed, but they can't do anything because he is an AL Legal character.

Ah. Apparently my eyes must have glazed over when I was reading the literal first sentence in this thread, because I forgot about that, lol.

firandice
2019-07-01, 06:22 AM
Well, because it is AL he won't have to worry. Heck, I have a Goblin that is a Noble of Waterdeep, some people find it hilarious, others get annoyed, but they can't do anything because he is an AL Legal character. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: