PDA

View Full Version : What would you play in a game without Dungeons or Wilderness?

Wasp
2019-06-30, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone

What characters would you recommend for a game that will be set mostly in a "civilized" environment with cities, courts etc but not much wilderness or dungeons where most enemies will be humans and other humanoids?

Focus would be probably more on social interaction, detective work etc so skill or Chariosma heavy classes like rogues and bards would be obviously very good, but aside from those more obvious effects - what would you take into account? I mean fights would still occur frequently but not as much against traditional monsters (probably).

Maelynn
2019-06-30, 01:29 PM
You can give an urban spin to any class, so nothing really you'd have to steer clear from. Well, maybe Ranger/Druid would fit a little less snugly - but there's the unofficial Urban Druid, and you could rework a Ranger to be like a professional hitman instead of monster hunter.

It would favour backgrounds like Urchin, Noble, Guild Artisan, or Criminal: Spy, depending on how much intrigue you'll encounter.

And just because it's urban doesn't mean you can't have rough fights and have to do a lot of detective work or investigation... busting a warehouse full of smuggling goods, chasing a thief across the rooftops, staking out to catch a serial killer in the act, etc.

djreynolds
2019-06-30, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone

What characters would you recommend for a game that will be set mostly in a "civilized" environment with cities, courts etc but not much wilderness or dungeons where most enemies will be humans and other humanoids?

Focus would be probably more on social interaction, detective work etc so skill or Chariosma heavy classes like rogues and bards would be obviously very good, but aside from those more obvious effects - what would you take into account? I mean fights would still occur frequently but not as much against traditional monsters (probably).

It is your world, if you set crazy DCs, you are going to force cookie-cutter builds.

Every class can participate, even a barbarian or fighter with low charisma can try persuading the town guard.... because that is what someone with low charisma would do... put their foot in their mouth.

Don't set the DCs of social encounters so high, that its always the 20 charisma guy or the rogue/bard doing the talking.

The town guard may not trust a bard period, and might be more inclined to speak with the fighter, who's probably from the same cut of cloth.

Honest Tiefling
2019-06-30, 02:36 PM
A thug type could work if working the seedy underbelly of a city. Intimidation (Strength) coupled with Persuade (Charisma) makes for an excellent bad adventurer/good adventurer dynamic. Also good for the occasional barred door, mob, deadly fighting pit, assassin, or duel you might encounter.

The second non-charisma type I could see really working with a charisma heavy party is the investigation/intelligence guy. Be it alchemy, wizardy or larceny, you probably want some sort of guy with know-how on your team.

I think the DC should be based on the difficulty of the situation, because if you keep breaking into noble's houses the DC is going to be high no matter what the party is doing. If you want to encourage less cookie butter builds don't lower the DC. Have them be able to help OUTSIDE of using their own charisma. Not only do you have diverse builds, but you encourage players to work together instead of falling back until it is their turn.

For instance, you need in to a ball held by nobles to steal something? The non-charisma rogue or ranger sneaks in and waits for a signal. Someone with high intelligence could also create forgeries or give info to the face on who the hell they are speaking to. ('That's Lord Thorpenbottom, a proud halfling wardog trainer who hates sorcerers, tread carefully, my friend'.) Hide your barbarian as a bodyguard, especially if of an exotic race. Why yes, Lady Firewind the Third is known for her Goliath bodyguard, they do make for the best protection. Would you like a demonstration?

And when you have to juggle the spotlight, just let them do non-charisma things like sneak around, investigate or poke at things.

Potato_Priest
2019-06-30, 02:40 PM
Since you wanted answers other than rogues and bards:

Vengeance paladins are great in this sort of scenario. They have able charisma, which is obviously good, and the spell list with hold person has amazing synergy with smite in a game where most enemies are human. Hunter’s mark can also prevent those dastardly criminals from escaping into the urban sprawl.

Magicspook
2019-06-30, 03:03 PM
A thug type could work if working the seedy underbelly of a city. Intimidation (Strength) coupled with Persuade (Charisma) makes for an excellent bad adventurer/good adventurer dynamic. Also good for the occasional barred door, mob, deadly fighting pit, assassin, or duel you might encounter.

Using different attributes for the same skill are a very nice way to get around the charisma supremacy. Srtenght for intimidation, wisdom for persuasion etc. Just use any old attribute, as long as the players can explain how they will use that attribute to accomplish what they want.

Also make sure the 'adventurers' cannot just pop into an inn at every turn to take a long rest after every fight. This will unbalance the long rest and short rest classes.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-30, 03:55 PM
My latest PC concept would fit this campaign nicely. He's a Criminal/Spy, Urban Bounty Hunter/Pirate kind of guy, I'm thinking along the lines of Shadow/Clyde from Final Fantasy 6. He comes and goes like the wind, swearing allegiance to no one. It's been said he'd slit his mama's throat for a nickel. He's definitely chaotic, and I'd say neutral because he's served the Empire(evil) and the Returners(good). He is a loner, an assassin and a mercenary, as his only friend is his dog, Interceptor. He first master's the shadow arts and later further hones his skills by utilizing magic to deceive and distract. Armed with the necessary tools of his trade, he lives rather comfortably even being amongst the disreputable dregs of society.

Monk 6 Way of Shadow, Rogue 6 Arcane Trickster: the monk is a strong base class altogether. We want extra attack, bonus attack(s), stunning strike, and those abilities that'll make us more ninja. We'll be using athletics to shove prone our enemies and grapple hostages at knifepoint. Expertise in athletics, stealth, sleight of hand/intimidation, and thieves' tools will make us even better at what we do. We'll be using shadow step to teleport behind the melee, sneak attacking those in the rear. Unless we rolled above average stats, we'll stay away from spells using our modifier. We'll exploit control flames to create natural darkness, minor illusion(sound) to make silent image more effective, perhaps color spray/sleep(no save), and mirror image to add some survivability without using concentration. Shadow blade would synergize well with this build.

Particle_Man
2019-06-30, 04:25 PM
Wizard. In such a civilized area there should be easier access to spells for my spell book and also for many magic items. I would just have to join the appropriate guild.

Btw, is the setting Ravnica?

Sparky McDibben
2019-06-30, 05:17 PM
I recommend watching Leverage if you're trying to run a game like this, because 1) it's just fun television, and 2) it has a number of superb archetypes you can draw on.

Zetakya
2019-06-30, 07:02 PM
Having played in a campaign set almost exclusively in civilization (imagine a cross between Gormenghast and The Three Musketeers but with Magic) the characters who had the most influence on the story were the Captain of the Eastern Watch (Battlemaster Fighter) and the Purifier of Vestments (Cleric of Order).

The Lore Bard, Wizard (Diviner IIRC) and Swashbuckler Rogue played a part, but it was the Cleric and the Fighter who drove the story.

Wasp
2019-07-01, 10:15 AM
And just because it's urban doesn't mean you can't have rough fights and have to do a lot of detective work or investigation... busting a warehouse full of smuggling goods, chasing a thief across the rooftops, staking out to catch a serial killer in the act, etc.
Yeah, I just thought that fights with mostly humanoid enemies may influence the usefulness. Just like more opportunities to rest… But I do agree that most classes can get an urban spin.

Since you wanted answers other than rogues and bards:

Vengeance paladins are great in this sort of scenario. They have able charisma, which is obviously good, and the spell list with hold person has amazing synergy with smite in a game where most enemies are human. Hunter’s mark can also prevent those dastardly criminals from escaping into the urban sprawl.
Yeah, I could see interesting urban interpretations of those classes like an inquisitor-type or bounty hunter.

Using different attributes for the same skill are a very nice way to get around the charisma supremacy. Srtenght for intimidation, wisdom for persuasion etc. Just use any old attribute, as long as the players can explain how they will use that attribute to accomplish what they want. .
Thanks for the suggestion!

Also make sure the 'adventurers' cannot just pop into an inn at every turn to take a long rest after every fight. This will unbalance the long rest and short rest classes.
Yeah, that’s one issue I see. I probably have to work with some ticking clocks to avoid too much resting.

Monk 6 Way of Shadow, Rogue 6 Arcane Trickster: the monk is a strong base class altogether. We want extra attack, bonus attack(s), stunning strike, and those abilities that'll make us more ninja. We'll be using athletics to shove prone our enemies and grapple hostages at knifepoint. Expertise in athletics, stealth, sleight of hand/intimidation, and thieves' tools will make us even better at what we do. We'll be using shadow step to teleport behind the melee, sneak attacking those in the rear. Unless we rolled above average stats, we'll stay away from spells using our modifier. We'll exploit control flames to create natural darkness, minor illusion(sound) to make silent image more effective, perhaps color spray/sleep(no save), and mirror image to add some survivability without using concentration. Shadow blade would synergize well with this build.
Sounds like a fun build, thank you!

Wizard. In such a civilized area there should be easier access to spells for my spell book and also for many magic items. I would just have to join the appropriate guild.
That’s a good point. This could boos the usefulness of the Ritual Caster feat as well.

Btw, is the setting Ravnica?
Homebrew, but heavily using the Ravnica and Eberron stuff

I recommend watching Leverage if you're trying to run a game like this, because 1) it's just fun television, and 2) it has a number of superb archetypes you can draw on.
Well, the rich and powerful do what they want. Someone has to provide… Leverage.

Having played in a campaign set almost exclusively in civilization (imagine a cross between Gormenghast and The Three Musketeers but with Magic) the characters who had the most influence on the story were the Captain of the Eastern Watch (Battlemaster Fighter) and the Purifier of Vestments (Cleric of Order).

The Lore Bard, Wizard (Diviner IIRC) and Swashbuckler Rogue played a part, but it was the Cleric and the Fighter who drove the story.
Interesting. But you are right it may be more the background connection to the world than game mechanics that are relevant here…

Guy Lombard-O
2019-07-01, 10:37 AM
You can give an urban spin to any class, so nothing really you'd have to steer clear from. Well, maybe Ranger/Druid would fit a little less snugly - but there's the unofficial Urban Druid, and you could rework a Ranger to be like a professional hitman instead of monster hunter.

It would favour backgrounds like Urchin, Noble, Guild Artisan, or Criminal: Spy, depending on how much intrigue you'll encounter.

I'm in a party going through a module in civilization. We picked things like you'd expect for social interaction and investigation. The backgrounds are mainly the ones mentioned, but we made sure to cover all social levels of interaction. Something like Noble bard/redemption paladin, Urchin monk, inquisitor wizard, bounty hunter mastermind rogue. Seems to be working out pretty well.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-01, 10:47 AM
A Sorcerer that's specialized into Subtle Spell would work wonders. Create chaos in public, or manipulate people on a whim.

Another solid option is the Illusion or Enchantment Wizards. With all of those humanoids, there'd be a lot you could do with your manipulation spells.

loki_ragnarock
2019-07-01, 11:19 AM
Monk, probably a Drunken Master.

Stat Priority: Dex, Cha, Wis. Pick up disguise kit proficiency through a background. V Human, Actor feat.

No weapons, no armor, no suspicion.

Lives most of the time as an amateur musician/artiste, sneaky enough to hide, sophisticated enough to hide in plain sight.

Name: Sanguine Deschamps

Tharkun
2019-07-01, 12:01 PM
I would likely play any of

Divination Wizard - Portant is very useful out of combat, Wizards are full of trickery
Rogue/Warlock with Mask of Many faces. Probably a swashbuckler/hexblade.
Rogue/Sorcerer with booming blade/GFB and lots of utility.

JumboWheat01
2019-07-01, 12:04 PM
Any class could be given an urban touch pretty darn easily, yes, even druids and rangers. Just takes a little bit of thinking and boom, you've got it.

That said, I'd prolly aim more for more social classes/characters, since you're in a city all the time, and make decent use out of said skills.

Yakmala
2019-07-01, 02:29 PM
A large enough urban environment can encompass almost any trope or archetype in Dungeons and Dragons.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's Judges Guild published City State of the Invincible Overlord and then later, City State of the World Emperor. These were massive urban environments and provided enough NPC's, shops and potential encounters to keep players busy for months, possibly years.

And nearly any class can be adapted to work in such an environment.

Urban Rangers are the "costumed vigilantes" of the D&D world. They know the streets and alleyways like the back of their hand and work to safeguard their city.

Urban Barbarians might be street toughs, urchins or gang members who grew up in the slums and survived via strength and intimidation.

Urban Druids know that a city is teeming with life beyond just humanoids. Be it the rooftops, city parks or even the sewers, there are scores of animals and plants that need protecting.

Urban Fighters may have never left the gates of the city to fight in a war, but instead, learned their trade in the local fencing academies and engage in conflicts between various noble houses and merchant guilds.

Urban Monks can be anything from members of the city branch of a large monastic order to professional tavern brawlers.

Urban Wizards scour the libraries, book shops, dusty attics and musty cellars of the city, looking for forgotten tomes of knowledge and magic.

Urban Bards have dozens, if not hundreds of establishments in which to ply their trade and overhear rumors and secrets.

Urban Clerics, Sorcerers, Paladins and Warlocks are helping their deity/church/patron/local government fight back against cultists trying to establish a foothold in the city.

And Rogues... They get to live in their element 24/7

Kyutaru
2019-07-01, 04:49 PM
So we're playing And Dragons?

I would still be a Warlock, Paladin, or Sorcerer. They handle humans even better than they do the monsters.

Misterwhisper
2019-07-01, 05:36 PM
A half elven bard, like an actual singing and performing bard.

Or

A half elven warlock “gunslinger”

Maelynn
2019-07-01, 08:03 PM
One of my party members went with a Half-Orc Bard.

Long, flowy black hair.
Black leather trousers.
Bare chest.
Lots of adornments featuring metal spikes and skulls.

Instrument of choice: electric guitar.
HEAVY METAAAAAAALLLL!!!

Would fit nice in an urban setting. Just sayin'.

8wGremlin
2019-07-01, 08:20 PM
Played a druid (Shepard) in a city campaign who was a master of information due to talking to and training all the seagulls, pigeons, rats, cats, dogs and horses. They could wildshape into harmless critters to better get a feel of a place, gather information and spy. They had more charisma than wisdom, and was more a political figure (waterhaven noble) that used their information to the betterment of the parks, plants and animals of the city.

Garresh
2019-07-02, 03:37 AM
A different game.

But in all seriousness it wouldn't change my decisions much. If I have a concept I'm gonna play it.

kenposan
2019-07-02, 09:11 AM
My urban bounty hunter warlock would much prefer to stay in cities and towns vs nasty, smelly, dark caves and such. Not a fan of sewers, either.

Imbalance
2019-07-02, 01:18 PM
Philosophically...

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permenant settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

So, nothing out of the ordinary.

Tawmis
2019-07-02, 02:20 PM
Wizards, definitely - because you seem them in fantasy setting courts.

I think a Rogue (for the one who steals from the Rich... give to the poor? Nah. Just keeps it). But a Rogue's Guild operating in the undercity portion would definitely be interesting. I think this is one of the cool things you could do wit this whole Court thing... Waterdeep, is a great example. You could do a whole Rogue's guild, that the further you go, you find out there's more than humans, elves, etc - but then there's some Hobgoblin Chief... who then reports up to another monster - and eventually learn, it's a Beholder running it all. Or Mindflayers, controlling people as slaves (and food).

A bard could be someone who hangs out at a local tavern in the cities, or be a city crier, or a "court jester."

But really... any class. Because you could do Clerics as the Holy Priests that the courts may call upon ("What does God_XY think we should do?") which then lend to paladins ("The holy warriors").

And so on and so on. It's just a matter of taking whatever class to make it fit.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-02, 03:33 PM
The town guard may not trust a bard period, and might be more inclined to speak with the fighter, who's probably from the same cut of cloth.

Stealing this one. NPCs can have the weirdest biases, if you want to give a certain player a turn in the spotlight.

This is my current character:

I was in the city watch for many years, and I'd still be there if they actually had any intention to help the city. A bunch of lazy bums, trying to stay out of trouble rather than eradicating it. My captain was the worst. He has an amazing talent to come up with ridiculious reasons for turning a blind eye on the situation in the streets. One day we got a tip and he dismissed it as hear-say. Two people died. I quit that day, and I've never looked back.
I decided to open my own force, a group that actually listens to people and isn't afraid of getting their knuckles bruised. I spent most of my savings getting the company started. A warforged for backup, and a big sign on the front of the house. If we manage to help just one person, it'll be worth it.
Thankfully my time in the watch has given my somewhat of a reputation. Couple that with me growing up in this city, I know just where to start cleaning it up, but it won't be pretty.

I know it's pretty "Spirit", "Daredevil" and "Batman", but it means I can roll an intelligence check regarding people, locations and factions within the city. It allows me to play like I actually know the place and is kinda cool. I can just randomly say "Oh, hi Bob" and strike up a conversation with a previously non-existant NPCs.

Urban Rangers are the "costumed vigilantes" of the D&D world. They know the streets and alleyways like the back of their hand and work to safeguard their city.
Urban Barbarians might be street toughs, urchins or gang members who grew up in the slums and survived via strength and intimidation.
Urban Druids know that a city is teeming with life beyond just humanoids. Be it the rooftops, city parks or even the sewers, there are scores of animals and plants that need protecting.
Urban Fighters may have never left the gates of the city to fight in a war, but instead, learned their trade in the local fencing academies and engage in conflicts between various noble houses and merchant guilds.
Urban Monks can be anything from members of the city branch of a large monastic order to professional tavern brawlers.
Urban Wizards scour the libraries, book shops, dusty attics and musty cellars of the city, looking for forgotten tomes of knowledge and magic.
Urban Bards have dozens, if not hundreds of establishments in which to ply their trade and overhear rumors and secrets.
Urban Clerics, Sorcerers, Paladins and Warlocks are helping their deity/church/patron/local government fight back against cultists trying to establish a foothold in the city.
And Rogues... They get to live in their element 24/7

We need a way to upvote comments. This is amazing

Mercurias
2019-07-02, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone

Inquisitor Rogues are always fun for Urban settings. You can be a Sherlock Holmes type, especially if you go V. Human and start off with the Observant Feat. You can snag Crossbow Expert down the line also to be a close-range shooter who is great at snooping AND shooting.

Another fun option would be a Barbarian who is just a local street thug with anger management problems. I’d have a lot of fun as a Zealot Barbarian who is beloved by his temple for being a man of the community and hated by the guard for his tendency to solve all of the community’s problems with horrendous violence. Bonus points if he uses nonviolent religious quotes like battle cries.

Luccan
2019-07-02, 05:25 PM
Rangers could do well, actually, if you know what humanoids you'll be interacting with. You can get twice as many effective favored enemies* as you would otherwise. Play some sort of bounty hunter/law officer and put your skills towards discerning lies. Half-elf + a decent background would give you extra social skills and the charisma and wisdom bonus to use them. A beastmaster here could actually do well, tracking a foe through the streets, but a hunter might find success too. If your DM lets natural explorer apply in an appropriate city, you can navigate the urban environment with ease.

Not all your abilities will be relevant, but then that happens to Rangers anyway, so...

*Relevant, in this case, because this makes them easier to track and remember things, so that might help you in finding particular criminals or remembering relevant info about the elven court

Mikaleus
2019-07-02, 07:51 PM
I’d play a Warlock with pact of the chain to have my familiars spy on people and events.

A cleric of a church to help the people.

Wizard at the academy

Paladin - guard duty.

Gloom stalker ranger bounty hunter

woweedd
2019-07-02, 08:02 PM
Really, most classes would fit just fine. Druids and Rangers are probably out, and Barbarians would be a hard sell, but every other Class could work just fine.

Tanarii
2019-07-02, 09:13 PM
Are there going to be a lot of city laws regarding carrying weapons, wearing armor, or using offensive magic? If so, Rogue or Monk for sure. Other possibilities might be a Swords Bard focusing on divination & defensive buffs (with the occasional illegal enchantments), or a Subtle Sorcerer focusing on Illusions and Enchantments (with backup Big Bang spells for emergencies).

Wasp
2019-07-04, 08:42 AM
A Sorcerer that's specialized into Subtle Spell would work wonders. Create chaos in public, or manipulate people on a whim.
Sounds actually like a scenario where the Silent Sorceror can shine...

Monk, probably a Drunken Master.

Stat Priority: Dex, Cha, Wis. Pick up disguise kit proficiency through a background. V Human, Actor feat.
I kinda like the "Shakespearean Actor" / Spy vibe I get...

Any class could be given an urban touch pretty darn easily, yes, even druids and rangers. Just takes a little bit of thinking and boom, you've got it.

That said, I'd prolly aim more for more social classes/characters, since you're in a city all the time, and make decent use out of said skills.
I am wondering if Rogue and Bard dips for Skills might be a good idea for any character.

A large enough urban environment can encompass almost any trope or archetype in Dungeons and Dragons.
That definitely true. Even a "normal" mansion can act as a dungeon for example. I was more thinking: If you fight mostly humanoids and have lots of social intereaction - how does the game change.

Gloomstalker Batman...

So we're playing And Dragons?

I would still be a Warlock, Paladin, or Sorcerer. They handle humans even better than they do the monsters.
Hmmm, that's food for thought for sure...

Xetheral
2019-07-04, 11:19 AM
Characters that focus on social engineering can shine in urban campaigns. This works even as a combat style, because in most urban fights, a fight will end when one side's morale breaks, rather than when all opponents are dead or unconcious. Accordingly, being able to manipulate morale can be more important than sustained damage per round. (Burst damage, however, is a great way to damage enemy morale.)

For example, a character that appears to be unarmored and unarmed can use Deception to pretend to be a frightened non-combatant at the start of a fight. That wouldn't help against most monsters, but it works great againt most city-dwellers. When the enemy doesn't see you as a threat, it's easier to manuever through enemy lines to reach vulnerable leaders and spellcasters. Threatening them directly (either with Intimidation or by grappling them) can win the fight outright if they're not prepared to risk their own life. Barbarians (with concealed or improvised weapons) and Monks are great at this role, particularly when combined with Rogue or Bard for expertise on Athletics, Deception, and/or Intimidation.

(Of course, this does depend on the cultures in question. If the predominant culture in the urban setting prefers death to backing down, then winning fights by destroying morale isn't likely to be a viable option.)

Tanarii
2019-07-04, 11:21 AM
As far as Backgrounds go, I can see a lot of Charlatans, Criminals/Spies, Guild Artisans, Nobles, and Urchins. Acolyte, Sage & Soldier would work well if there's a strong temple, library or military presence. Or Pirates abusing their Bad Reputation.

Xetheral
2019-07-04, 11:32 AM
As far as Backgrounds go, I can see a lot of Charlatans, Criminals/Spies, Guild Artisans, Nobles, and Urchins. Acolyte, Sage & Soldier would work well if there's a strong temple, library or military presence. Or Pirates abusing their Bad Reputation.

Haunted One is also a great background in an urban campaign, particularly if you want to play a monster race that would normally be shunned. The background feature helps get around a lot of the usual prejudice.

darknite
2019-07-04, 08:00 PM
Established demesnes and their interrelations and conflicts would be where I'd start. Whether internal to a kingdom or external as a game of competition between polities. Factions have agendas and secrets. Adventurers have the desire to grow in power. The two line up pretty well.

Tvtyrant
2019-07-05, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone

Druid as a street urchin/beggar who turns into pigeons and street dogs, selling overheard information. Instead of nature they worship The Streets, and devote their talents to begging, pick pocketing, information collecting and protecting the less fortunate street kids.

Wasp
2019-07-05, 02:19 PM
Are there going to be a lot of city laws regarding carrying weapons, wearing armor, or using offensive magic? If so, Rogue or Monk for sure.
Probably not everywhere, but having certain areas where weapons and magic are restricted could be a fun way to mix things up. I would have to look through the spell lists to see what spells may be restricted in a city (due to for example dangers for bystanders).

Rangers could do well, actually, if you know what humanoids you'll be interacting with. You can get twice as many effective favored enemies* as you would otherwise. Play some sort of bounty hunter/law officer and put your skills towards discerning lies. Half-elf + a decent background would give you extra social skills and the charisma and wisdom bonus to use them. A beastmaster here could actually do well, tracking a foe through the streets, but a hunter might find success too. If your DM lets natural explorer apply in an appropriate city, you can navigate the urban environment with ease.

Not all your abilities will be relevant, but then that happens to Rangers anyway, so...

*Relevant, in this case, because this makes them easier to track and remember things, so that might help you in finding particular criminals or remembering relevant info about the elven court
I think those are all quite excellent idea! Thank you!

blackjack50
2019-07-05, 03:32 PM
Probably not everywhere, but having certain areas where weapons and magic are restricted could be a fun way to mix things up. I would have to look through the spell lists to see what spells may be restricted in a city (due to for example dangers for bystanders).

I think those are all quite excellent idea! Thank you!

Really depends on how much combat you are facing vs RP I suppose. I would not shy away from a shadow monk. Or rogue. May want to make sure your charisma is good since you will have more social interactions lol.