PDA

View Full Version : A Cursing Warlock

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-30, 03:51 PM
So, I finally got a game where I am a player. I'm making a Teifling warlock, likely Archfey, Celestial, or Hexblade. But my question is this: Some of the invocations from XGtE say they need Hex spell or a feature that curses. I want to make a build based on curses, but what features would you define as a "curse"? I know Sign of Ill Omen is one, but... what others?

Mjolnirbear
2019-06-30, 04:05 PM
So, I finally got a game where I am a player. I'm making a Teifling warlock, likely Archfey, Celestial, or Hexblade. But my question is this: Some of the invocations from XGtE say they need Hex spell or a feature that curses. I want to make a build based on curses, but what features would you define as a "curse"? I know Sign of Ill Omen is one, but... what others?

RAW, the ones listed.

I'd rule at minimum any spell that uses the word 'curse'.

Your DM may be willing to allow single-target debuffs or some with a certain flavour. Bane has such flavour. Arguable Geas could be a Curse too.

Hexblade has one too.

Cikomyr
2019-06-30, 04:12 PM

I don't know about Sign of Ill Omen, but I think they were referring to the Hexblade Curse

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-30, 04:14 PM
I don't know about Sign of Ill Omen, but I think they were referring to the Hexblade Curse

Actually, it says in the feature "Such as Hexblades Curse or Sign of Ill Omen".

Cikomyr
2019-06-30, 04:24 PM
Actually, it says in the feature "Such as Hexblades Curse or Sign of Ill Omen".

Yheaaaa I saw that after researching

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-30, 04:26 PM
RAW, the ones listed.

I'd rule at minimum any spell that uses the word 'curse'.

Your DM may be willing to allow single-target debuffs or some with a certain flavour. Bane has such flavour. Arguable Geas could be a Curse too.

Hexblade has one too.

In the case of RAW, that only leaves 3 options: Hex, Hexblades Curse, and Sign of Ill omen, since those are the only ones given. Doesn't seem that good...

Mjolnirbear
2019-06-30, 04:36 PM
In the case of RAW, that only leaves 3 options: Hex, Hexblades Curse, and Sign of Ill omen, since those are the only ones given. Doesn't seem that good...

It's basically free damage if you've no use for your bonus action, that affects multiple creatures. Your DM may rule it affects each of your curses, not just one, which is more fun.

But if you find it insufficient and your DM decides not to expand your options, don't take that invocation. You can still do 'curses' by reflavouring debuffs. 'The Moon King curses you with blindness!' You can use the flavour even if the mechanics are not to your taste

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-30, 05:19 PM
It's basically free damage if you've no use for your bonus action, that affects multiple creatures. Your DM may rule it affects each of your curses, not just one, which is more fun.

But if you find it insufficient and your DM decides not to expand your options, don't take that invocation. You can still do 'curses' by reflavouring debuffs. 'The Moon King curses you with blindness!' You can use the flavour even if the mechanics are not to your taste

I'm not saying those curses aren't good, I'm just saying there are too few if those are the only ones

Sparky McDibben
2019-06-30, 05:22 PM
I'm not saying those curses aren't good, I'm just saying there are too few if those are the only ones

What other options would you like?

TheExplosiveRog
2019-06-30, 05:42 PM
What other options would you like?

In my opinion, Theif of Five Fates (which casts Bane) and Sculptor Of Flesh (hich casts Polymorph) sound just by name like curses.

Sparky McDibben
2019-06-30, 06:01 PM
Then ask your DM. Bane sounds fine, but be prepared for a no on Polymorph - it can be used a number of different ways. Turning your wizard into a T-Rex hardly sounds like a curse.

Asmotherion
2019-06-30, 06:56 PM

i believe it's fairly Rai (if not directly RAW) that "Bestow Curse" is covered as well.

Sparky McDibben
2019-06-30, 07:01 PM
i believe it's fairly Rai (if not directly RAW) that "Bestow Curse" is covered as well.

Sign of Ill Omen is the invocation which allows warlocks to cast bestow curse.

Asmotherion
2019-06-30, 08:12 PM
Sign of Ill Omen is the invocation which allows warlocks to cast bestow curse.

Yeah but let's suppose a multiclass Bard for example; i'd still allow bestow curse to function as a pre-req.

Cikomyr
2019-06-30, 09:43 PM
Yes, I suppose we should try to find any other circumstances outside "explicitly mentioned by the Invocation text" that should qualify.

A non-Invocation Bestow Curse certainly qualifies, I am not sure what other spell or ability qualify as a "curse"

Jerrykhor
2019-06-30, 10:17 PM
Just be a warlock that throws lots of F-bombs around.

dragoeniex
2019-06-30, 10:23 PM
Relentless Hex and Maddening Hex, correct? Those invocations are limited for a reason. The bonus action damage or warping options are meant to supplement the abilities listed and not be easy access on everything. I agree Bestow Curse and the like make sense, but building around being able to use those invocations all the time means building around using Hex and Hexblade's Curse. Sign of Ill Omen/Bestow Curse is doing less for you, in my opinion, but it's still an option.

I'd say this is like saying you want to build a warlock around repelling things and what other kinds of spells or abilities could you flavor to use with Repelling Blast? Answer by basic text is "none." Eldritch Blast is the only one getting augmented for a reason. You can run anything additional by the DM, but it's asking for a gimme.

I'd be tempted to say other invocation-based control effects might work, like Mire the Mind, but that's a multi-target. And there's a SA clarifying Maddening Hex at the very least only works for one target at a time. Fits with all the other examples listed being single-target too.

To clarify, is it the mechanics of those invocations you're after? Or are you more really wanting to lean into the curse theme and flavor, and you'd be open to options that lend themselves to witchcrafty flare in general? Because there are a lot of great choices for the latter.

TheExplosiveRog
2019-07-02, 06:27 PM
Relentless Hex and Maddening Hex, correct? Those invocations are limited for a reason. The bonus action damage or warping options are meant to supplement the abilities listed and not be easy access on everything. I agree Bestow Curse and the like make sense, but building around being able to use those invocations all the time means building around using Hex and Hexblade's Curse. Sign of Ill Omen/Bestow Curse is doing less for you, in my opinion, but it's still an option.

I'd say this is like saying you want to build a warlock around repelling things and what other kinds of spells or abilities could you flavor to use with Repelling Blast? Answer by basic text is "none." Eldritch Blast is the only one getting augmented for a reason. You can run anything additional by the DM, but it's asking for a gimme.

I'd be tempted to say other invocation-based control effects might work, like Mire the Mind, but that's a multi-target. And there's a SA clarifying Maddening Hex at the very least only works for one target at a time. Fits with all the other examples listed being single-target too.

To clarify, is it the mechanics of those invocations you're after? Or are you more really wanting to lean into the curse theme and flavor, and you'd be open to options that lend themselves to witchcrafty flare in general? Because there are a lot of great choices for the latter.

My main focus is flavor, but I enjoy when my flavor helps my function, so to speak. I've even been practicing phrases to say as I cast my curses! Example...

*Casting hex, choosing to debuff their Intelligence*

"The target feels shadows swirling near them, weighing down their mind, causing their memory recall to be fuzzy..."