PDA

View Full Version : Evil Gods vs. Demons and Devils

Charles Phipps
2007-10-08, 09:40 AM
Which do you prefer for your evil cults?

Which do you think makes the better Outer Planar antagonists?

Which do you use more?

Solo
2007-10-08, 09:46 AM
Demons are more fun. Succubus for the win!

DoomBard
2007-10-08, 10:11 AM
Gods, Iuz and Tharizdun are THE evil dieties.

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-08, 10:15 AM
Generally I prefer evil deities. Better resources. Like, for example, being able to send demons and devils after people.

Pronounceable
2007-10-08, 10:20 AM
Answer: E) None of the above!

The best villains by far are the yugoloths. Followed by devils and demons. I dislike evil deities, and deities in general. I think deities should be unapproachable for mortals, using their subordinate outsiders instead.

Quietus
2007-10-08, 10:25 AM
Answer: E) None of the above!

The best villains by far are the yugoloths. Followed by devils and demons. I dislike evil deities, and deities in general. I think deities should be unapproachable for mortals, using their subordinate outsiders instead.

Sorry for a slight derail, but I've gotta ask, man... Is that the spirit of a dead whale, or a good outsider's sperm in your 'tar?

Pronounceable
2007-10-08, 10:49 AM
It's just an ordinary sperm. But as everyone should know, every sperm is sacred (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47P59ha9k9s)...

DraPrime
2007-10-08, 10:51 AM
I have to go with evil made up god that turns out to be a powerful fiend that turns out to be a dire rat.

SoD
2007-10-08, 10:56 AM
Ooh, that would annoy the party, finding out that the 'evil deity' was just a dire rat!

Anyway, I've always toyed with the idea of putting the PCs in a...wait, that's actually a good idea! Ooh, I'm going to enjoy this one! Maybe not this campaign though...anyway, I digress. Catch the PCs up in a war between opposed cults. One demon worshiping, one devil. Not that the PCs will be told that bit...

Charles Phipps
2007-10-08, 11:49 AM
I usually use Evil Deities over Demons and Devils.

But I *DO* always end up using Orcus for some reason.

Something about him just rocks.

Doglord
2007-10-08, 11:59 AM
Demon lords are really good. You can quite easily (as a DM) make a new one up for your evil cult, and send players to its layer to fight

Arakune
2007-10-08, 12:06 PM
Evil *Uber* powerful deities that employees demons/devils according to his alignment.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-10-08, 12:11 PM
I'm more a fan of evil demons and devils over evil deities. I like the players to believe that even though their foe seems very powerful, he remains defeatable in some manner. At best, all the players can hope when fighting an evil deity is that they can consistently thwart his plans without getting too much attention from him. Demons and devils, on the other hand, can be defeated and personally sent back to their plane of origin without passing "Go" or collecting $200. Even though the outsiders aren't dead, they remain within the players' capacity to defeat should they raise their ugly heads once more.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-08, 12:44 PM
I haven't had too many cults, but one time I had one that was worshipping something that didn't even exist. It's operation was a bit like the cult of thugee. After something was killed, the possesions on them are seen as the reward for killing that person from the evil entity.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-08, 03:47 PM
I like the Cultmaster PRC from the Fiend Folio because they can be applied to all Evil outsiders who meet the prerequisites.

This gives the DM a lot more options for a BBEG outsider (DM PC so the DM can have a little fun to) stirring up things on the prime for his personal goal or agenda and take a hand when something threatens it.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-09, 12:44 AM
Demons, although something has to be said for ancient Aboleth lords, or Hive Mothers, or Ulitharid-powered Elder Brains aiming to take over the plane(s)/multiverse.

bosssmiley
2007-10-09, 09:21 AM
Ooh, that would annoy the party, finding out that the 'evil deity' was just a dire rat!

Pelor carries Filth Fever! (play on the ole "Pelor is Evil" meme)

Me? Evil gods in the background, evil outsiders fighting the PCs, cults summoning the outsiders in the first place. Planar Ally exists for a reason you know. :smallwink: