PDA

View Full Version : Name for a homebrew magic sword?

Ghghj2
2019-06-30, 08:19 PM
I created a enchanted steel sword with +2 psychic damage but WIS modifier-4 to hit. The sword seems normal, but when unsheated emits a loud screaming at the wielders mind, only him can hear it

JNAProductions
2019-06-30, 08:23 PM
I created a enchanted steel sword with +2 psychic damage but WIS modifier-4 to hit. The sword seems normal, but when unsheated emits a loud screaming at the wielders mind, only him can hear it

I would call it "Useless".

Because +2 damage (of a nice type, admittedly) at the cost of around -3 to-hit? Sucks. Sucks hard.

Goldlizard
2019-06-30, 08:35 PM
remove the to hit penalty, and if you want a good magic item, give it a bonus to hit equal to the psychic damage dealt to the target of the attack by the sword. if you want a bad effect, it deals two damage to the wielder when it hits.
Name: Howling blade or Mental shock

stoutstien
2019-06-30, 09:09 PM
My ex-girlfriend?

Xihirli
2019-06-30, 09:17 PM
Kevin. More words.

dragoeniex
2019-06-30, 10:04 PM
So the idea is it's for primarily wisdom-based classes, like clerics or druids or perhaps rangers? It's not going to see use for someone with low Wis, so I would remove the penalty altogether and say "Requires attunement by ClassesI'mDesigningForHere."

If a penalty is desired, why not just declare disadvantage for the first attack every X rounds of use, as the continuous sound becomes more difficult to ignore? Or it just isn't wailing all the time. That's still inconvenient, but it's a cool little cursed item to deal with. Maybe they can strip the penalty off entirely and gain a bonus to hit equal to Wis modifier (max of 3) at a later tier of play, making it really worth keeping around and restoring.

Suggested names: Migraine, Conscience, Anxiety, Quandary

FrancisBean
2019-06-30, 10:06 PM
If you like a bit of obscure celtic, lann na bean sí should be irish for "Blade of the Banshee." (I was inspired by the last sword I made, which got a scottish name: lann a'ghrúdaire.) I studied scottish, not irish, so a double-check might not be a bad idea.

Cikomyr
2019-06-30, 10:14 PM
The White Noise Blade

Ghghj2
2019-07-01, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and call outs everybody

Tawmis
2019-07-01, 05:42 PM

Blade of Siphoning Intellect.

So the +2 psychic damage is "siphoning intellect" - but also "curses" the wielding by drawing from their Wisdom.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-01, 06:09 PM
Screech

*que saved by the bell reference

Arcangel4774
2019-07-02, 03:05 PM
Is it wis-4 to hit or a bonus/penalty of wis-4 to hit?

Edit: But as to a name i like Clamour
Also as im thinking about it would be cool to have the psychic damage being because when struck the other person also hears the screaming.

Mercurias
2019-07-03, 03:09 AM

I'd call it Keening or maybe Widow's Wail.

opaopajr
2019-07-03, 06:26 AM
My ex-girlfriend?

:smallbiggrin: I laughed! :smalltongue:

Lupine
2019-07-03, 10:41 AM
Either Sword of Sorrow, or The Widow's Blade

In either case, it would function well as a cursed item, especially it had a charged attack, allowing a mental barrage on a target you can see within 30 feet.
So, maybe have it like this:
rare item. Any sword. Requires attunement
This sword gives a +2 bonus to damage and attack rolls. Attack and damage rolls with this weapon are made with wisom. In addition, the sword has three charges. When used you can choose a target that you can see within 30 feet. That creature must make a DC 13 Wisdom saving through, or take. take 2d6 psychic damage at the start of your next two turns. During this time, the creature is incapacitated by uncontrollable sobbing from the wailing of the sword. On a success, the creature suffers half damage, an no ill effects.
The weapon regains 1d4-1 charges at dawn.
Cursed
This item is cursed. A creature that attunes to this weapon will become cursed, and will not let the weapon stay from its arms. The creature will instead feel an overwhelming urge to "comfort" the weapon over some loss.
In addition, While attuned, the creature's wisdom lowers by four, and is suffers disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing, due to a spectral howling in it's ears. When the creature uses a charge, the effects are suspended for the duration of the attack
Pulled this directly out of my butt, so it's probably not very balanced, but I was going for flavor here, so...