PDA

View Full Version : Rider effects unique to weapons

heavyfuel
2019-06-30, 09:05 PM
I'm brainstorming a character that uses Whirling Blade to deliver rider effects to opponents. As opposed to Magic Missile - the more traditional spell used to deliver rider effects - Whirling Blade allows effects that are "weapons only", like Bladeweave and Vorpal.

What are some other effects that can ride off Whirling Blade? I was looking for things that would affect everyone hit by the weapon, so things like Stunning Surge are no good.

*Effects marked with an asterisk are only triggered on a crit (or nat20 for Vorpal)
**Effects marked with two asterisks require aptitude weapons

Weapon Enhancements:
+1
- Binding (A&EG)
- Diseased (UE)
- *Enfeebling (BoED)
- Exhausting (Shining South)
- *Fear Burst (MH)
- *Weakening (MIC)

+2
- Domineering (MIC)
- *Doomburst (MIC)
- *Enervating (MIC)
- *Stunning (MIC)
- *Paralytic Burst (MIC)
- Vampiric (MIC)

+3
- *Bodyfeeder (MIC)
- *Prismatic

+5
- *Vorpal

Feats & Others:
- **Boomerang Daze

I suppose anything that triggers off a critical hit can trigger if the Whirling Blade crits, so I might add these later.

Thanks!

Edit: Some minor updates. Will finish up later

Venger
2019-06-30, 09:21 PM
link to the list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445736-Saving-from-WOTC-Forum-The-3-5-Weapon-Special-Abilities-thread) will likely be helpful.

from that list, your standouts are:

+1s
aptitude is a must, since it'll let you apply things like boomerang daze to whatever your weapon is

+2s
enervating is good if you can find a way to crit reliably

+money

sizing will set your weapon to the largest category your dm allows while you're chucking it

Piggy Knowles
2019-07-01, 05:46 AM
For feats, Knock Down, Knockback, Brutal Strike (requires some shenanigans or a very silly weapon to work with whirling blade), Arcane Strike, Netherese Battle Curse, Death Devotion all come to mind.

Malphegor
2019-07-01, 07:10 AM
Huh. You can't use a spellsword's Channel Spell ability to channel a spell into it before it goes, can you? That spell would only hit the first target, but 60ft line, spell starts on the person it hits...

Relating to this- spellstoring is probably handy with this kind of spell carrying the spell further than it would go otherwise. Plus hey another way to deliver touch spells I guess.

heavyfuel
2019-07-01, 07:50 AM
link to the list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445736-Saving-from-WOTC-Forum-The-3-5-Weapon-Special-Abilities-thread) will likely be helpful.

from that list, your standouts are:

+1s
aptitude is a must, since it'll let you apply things like boomerang daze to whatever your weapon is

Thanks! I was already going through the list and picking the nice +1s. I hadn't though of aptitude+daze. Seems like a nasty combo!

For feats, Knock Down, Knockback, Brutal Strike (requires some shenanigans or a very silly weapon to work with whirling blade), Arcane Strike, Netherese Battle Curse, Death Devotion all come to mind.

The problem I see with the first 3 is the Str requirement. I was really hoping on maxing out Int/Cha only, with Con being a distant second place. Death Devotion is amazing though!

Huh. You can't use a spellsword's Channel Spell ability to channel a spell into it before it goes, can you? That spell would only hit the first target, but 60ft line, spell starts on the person it hits...

Relating to this- spellstoring is probably handy with this kind of spell carrying the spell further than it would go otherwise. Plus hey another way to deliver touch spells I guess.

Yeah. It's a pretty good trick for when there's only one enemy (or one relevant enemy) but in general I'm looking for ways to affect multiple enemies

Piggy Knowles
2019-07-01, 08:22 AM
If you can get sneak attack applied, consider Staggering Strike, Sickening Strike, etc. Just beware of the rules in volley attacks, and ask your DM if it counts as a weaponlike spell.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-01, 09:04 AM
Versatile Unarmed Strike allows US's to work with whirling blade, and combined with aptitude, any weapon can be.

If you're a monk, your unarmed strikes count as manufactured weapons, meaning if you spend 300 gp at character creation to make 'em masterwork, you can enhance them as magic weapons. Or 100, if someone uses Craft for it. Consider it paying for training for your body to turn yourself into a masterwork living weapon. Or I suppose there's always fun stuff like flesh to stone + fabricate into a masterwork weapon + stone to flesh.

Regardless, unarmed strikes gain a ton of things they can do, and pulling the (very anime) stunt of bum-rushing through a line of foes, striking them all down instantaneously (with a badass pose at the end) is nicely cinematic.

An aptitude harpoon would give you a long line of enemies on a string.

An aptitude caber would knock them all down while dealing damage.

Aptitude very large rocks would fall and everyone dies.

MisterKaws
2019-07-01, 09:18 AM
If you're a monk, your unarmed strikes count as manufactured weapons, meaning if you spend 300 gp at character creation to make 'em masterwork, you can enhance them as magic weapons. Or 100, if someone uses Craft for it.

Today I learned that women in D&D are trained in Craft(Baby) before they have children.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-01, 10:06 AM
Today I learned that women in D&D are trained in Craft(Baby) before they have children.There's that too, I guess.

Though considering the state of most people I know, most of them make their checks untrained (oftentimes with large penalties).

Mike Miller
2019-07-01, 11:24 AM
This is so quotable.

Also, if you go down the critical hit rider list, don't forget prismatic burst!

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-01, 01:41 PM
This is so quotable.

Also, if you go down the critical hit rider list, don't forget prismatic burst!Add Beast Strike and race: tanuki and start doing this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576324-3-P-Tanuki-Marital-Arts-Style)?

liquidformat
2019-07-01, 01:58 PM
The problem I see with the first 3 is the Str requirement. I was really hoping on maxing out Int/Cha only, with Con being a distant second place. Death Devotion is amazing though!

You could always go Aeshkrau Illumian and just focus on strength...

Versatile Unarmed Strike allows US's to work with whirling blade, and combined with aptitude, any weapon can be.

If you're a monk, your unarmed strikes count as manufactured weapons, meaning if you spend 300 gp at character creation to make 'em masterwork, you can enhance them as magic weapons. Or 100, if someone uses Craft for it. Consider it paying for training for your body to turn yourself into a masterwork living weapon. Or I suppose there's always fun stuff like flesh to stone + fabricate into a masterwork weapon + stone to flesh.

Regardless, unarmed strikes gain a ton of things they can do, and pulling the (very anime) stunt of bum-rushing through a line of foes, striking them all down instantaneously (with a badass pose at the end) is nicely cinematic.

Aptitude very large rocks would fall and everyone dies.

So in other words be a warforged?!

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-01, 02:00 PM
So in other words be a warforged?!Sure. Or you could say the 300 gp was for training your body into a masterwork weapon through martial arts training with Chuck Norris and his Total Gym, or maybe Segata Sanshiro (https://youtu.be/-eDSt8OHkx0). It's stretching things a bit, but it's really just refluffing, while the crunch basically stays the same, and it would work on any race.

I still like the tanuki ideas in that other thread, though...

liquidformat
2019-07-01, 02:02 PM
Sure. Or you could say the 300 gp was for training your body into a masterwork weapon. It's stretching things a bit, but it's really just refluffing, while the crunch basically stays the same, and it would work on any race.

I still like the tanuki ideas in that other thread, though...

Ya Tanuki is a comical choice indeed, warforged with mithral or adamantine body should already be considered masterwork your just paying a feat instead of an gold price for it...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-01, 02:06 PM
Ya Tanuki is a comical choice indeed, warforged with mithral or adamantine body should already be considered masterwork your just paying a feat instead of an gold price for it...Psst. Re-check the post you quoted.

liquidformat
2019-07-01, 02:45 PM
Psst. Re-check the post you quoted.

glorious! Though they brushed over the fact that to this day Chuck still can't beat Bruce Lee...

heavyfuel
2019-07-02, 07:24 AM
If you can get sneak attack applied, consider Staggering Strike, Sickening Strike, etc. Just beware of the rules in volley attacks, and ask your DM if it counts as a weaponlike spell.

That's a good point. The spell does say you benefit from things as if attacking in melee, but I'll see what the DM says.

(snip)

Thank you!

Also, if you go down the critical hit rider list, don't forget prismatic burst!

I won't! I'll update my list as soon as I have time

You could always go Aeshkrau Illumian and just focus on strength...

Now that's a very interesting idea...

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-02, 08:23 AM
If your mount charges at them can you count as charging for your Lance?

PraxisVetli
2019-07-02, 09:49 AM
Guys
Boomerang Daze and an Aptitude weapon.

MisterKaws
2019-07-02, 10:05 AM
If your mount charges at them can you count as charging for your Lance?

Mounted Charge is a thing, but I don't know about both charging.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-02, 10:16 AM
Guys
Boomerang Daze and an Aptitude weapon.Works best on a sand blaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization) for an AoE attack. Feel free to increase its range via Far Shot + Distance + the accuracy spell.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-02, 10:28 AM
Mounted Charge is a thing, but I don't know about both charging.

spirited charge clears that up, and gives you triple lance damage. Although you may need to quicken the spell to make it work.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-02, 10:37 AM
Works best on a sand blaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization) for an AoE attack. Feel free to increase its range via Far Shot + Distance + the accuracy spell.

I was just talking to a buddy about those!
Can you put a bayonet on there, draw it, and Iajutsu a cone?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-02, 10:39 AM
I was just talking to a buddy about those!
Can you put a bayonet on there, draw it, and Iajutsu a cone?How would...

Why would...

WHAT?

Seriously, what?

I don't even.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-02, 12:26 PM
How would...

Why would...

WHAT?

Seriously, what?

I don't even.

Ok but..
It would work, wouldn't it?
Crossbow Bayonet, Complete Scoundrel, pg 109, does damage as a shortspear/dagger.
Then Iajutsu says:
'If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a melee weapon, you can deal extra damage, based on the result ofan Iaijutsu Focus check.'
So add a bayonet so it's 'melee' and boom!
Right?

animewatcha
2019-07-03, 07:50 PM
Wording in the entry is 'treated as'. It like like a boot blade or some other 'exotic' weapon. Turning a bayonet into a cone attack would need to be done via spell or something else. Not via sandblaster weapon itself.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-03, 09:51 PM
Wording in the entry is 'treated as'. It like like a boot blade or some other 'exotic' weapon. Turning a bayonet into a cone attack would need to be done via spell or something else. Not via sandblaster weapon itself.

Aptitude Fukimi bari, deadly spittle and tormtor school? Treat the Fukimi bari as a melee weapon as you can with a javelin, therefore you can iaijutsu, and then you can turn your spit attack with them into a 15' cone

mabriss lethe
2019-07-03, 11:06 PM

The wording they're exploiting here is the rather nebulous way Iaijutsu focus is written. Namely, that it doesn't specify that you have to make the attack with the weapon you drew, or that it must be a melee attack. In this case, drawing the bayonet mounted on the sandblaster fulfills the prerequisite to draw a melee weapon against a flatfooted foe. Since it doesn't specify the weapon you attack with or whether the attack must be melee in the skill description, RAW allows you to unload your sandblaster's cone attack and still gain IF damage.

Is it nonsensical? certainly. But it's still within the bounds of the wording of the abilities.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-04, 06:32 AM
Aptitude Fukimi bari, deadly spittle and tormtor school? Treat the Fukimi bari as a melee weapon as you can with a javelin, therefore you can iaijutsu, and then you can turn your spit attack with them into a 15' cone

Whoa I like this too!
This could be stealthier, posed as a walking stick!
It's brilliant!
You would need a natural spit attack, though wouldn't you? At least in order to qualify for Deadly Spittle.
But if you did, though I don't know how you would, add Venomfire, of course.