PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Take 1d6 charisma damage

Zhentarim
2019-06-30, 10:53 PM
What would cause 1d6 charisma damage and how would this be roleplayed?

denthor
2019-06-30, 11:41 PM
Poison would do this.
In our game charisma is tied to luck 1d20 plus or minus. With some in our group having a 8 in that stat.

1d6 could get ugly. (Pun just happened)

Are you in the fireball radius?
Who gets attacked when two targets are in range?
Who gets,an extra opponent?
Who does the NPC help first?

Zhentarim
2019-07-01, 12:23 AM
Poison would do this.
In our game charisma is tied to luck 1d20 plus or minus. With some in our group having a 8 in that stat.

1d6 could get ugly. (Pun just happened)

Are you in the fireball radius?
Who gets attacked when two targets are in range?
Who gets,an extra opponent?
Who does the NPC help first?

Thank you. I could totally see this.

pabelfly
2019-07-01, 12:43 AM
Not sure how you'd take Charisma damage, but for roleplay purposes, I'd use how I got Charisma damage to inform how I roleplayed. If I lost charisma damage from a mental attack, maybe I'm boorish and annoying and lose my social grace, something like that. If I've gotten Charisma damage from a physical attack, maybe I'm ugly or disfigured.

Elysiume
2019-07-01, 01:21 AM
From a quick search you've got Fungal Infestation (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Fungal%20Infestation), Mantle of Doubt (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mantle%20of%20Doubt), Primal Regression (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Primal%20Regression), Rotting Alliance (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Rotting%20Alliance), and Mark of the Reptile God (https://aonprd.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Mark%20of%20the%20Repti le%20God).

They cover the gamut of the aspects of charisma. It could be getting less attractive, less eloquent, less articulate, less interesting. As for roleplaying, the ones that are physical feel pretty straightforward. It's mostly a matter of how other people react to you (which is the DM's problem), so in your case it comes down to the character you're playing: now that you've grown scales or developed a hideous fungal infection, are you embarrassed? Resolute? Mental damage would be harder and more varied, I think. Charisma as a stat is kind of weird. You're worse at lying, worse at making friends, worse at...playing the violin?

Khedrac
2019-07-01, 03:49 AM
It is a sad fact of life that most people do react, less well, to obvious signs of disability - whether those are scarring, a harsh voice, a missing limb or what ever.

Those people who are aware of this usually do a good job of countering their instinct (instinct as in pattern or behaviour learned growing up, not biological hardwire), but it comes from the fact that people react best to what they are used to.

So, taking this into consideration - obvious scarring, a damaged voice etc. could all represent charisma damage. Also twisting of limbs/joints to that the target just "looks wrong" would serve as visible signs that could link to charisma damage.

Now, be very careful using these as examples in play, handled badly they could be taken as very insulting by someone who has been subject to discrimination - this is probably one of those areas best discussed before employed in play.

On a related note, we have had a "fun dog show" at a recent village/church event and one of the classes was "best 6 legs". It occurred to me that had anyone wanting to enter had a missing leg (theirs or their dog's) they could quite rightly claim this as illegal discrimination (thankfully no-one with mobility issues tried to register). The point was that none of the organisers had realised that this "fun" category could actualy be a real issue - something I am goign to bring up at the wash-up meeting later this week.

In short, just because you mean well, does not stop you being hurtful to others by mistake, and while there are realisitic ways to cover this sort of effect, it may be best not to try...

Psyren
2019-07-01, 08:38 AM
It's 1d4 rather than 1d6, but Ego Whip states: "Your rapid mental lashings assault the ego of your target, debilitating its confidence." This can be augmented much higher than d4 as well, letting you easily render low-Cha creatures like animals comatose as you render them incapable of distinguishing their sense of self.

Selion
2019-07-01, 08:50 AM
It's 1d4 rather than 1d6, but Ego Whip states: "Your rapid mental lashings assault the ego of your target, debilitating its confidence." This can be augmented much higher than d4 as well, letting you easily render low-Cha creatures like animals comatose as you render them incapable of distinguishing their sense of self.

I was writing something similar. I think depression is mostly charisma damage

rel
2019-07-01, 10:12 AM
Something to note; A D6 isn't going to change your stats by *that* much. On average you would have a penalty of -2 from said effect.

I think you roleplay the change by NOT roleplaying any different.
Same as you don't change how your character acts when they put on a circlet of intelligence, pick up a masterwork tool or drop a few points into a skill while leveling up.

Psyren
2019-07-01, 10:21 AM
Something to note; A D6 isn't going to change your stats by *that* much. On average you would have a penalty of -2 from said effect.

I think you roleplay the change by NOT roleplaying any different.
Same as you don't change how your character acts when they put on a circlet of intelligence, pick up a masterwork tool or drop a few points into a skill while leveling up.

A -2 is enough for a whole race to be treated differently though. An elf's -2 Con gives them a race-wide reputation for frailty for instance, while a dwarf and half-orc's -2 Cha gives them a race-wide reputation for being surly or brusque.

I think the reason for this is that it's not really a linear scale. When you're 18+ Cha, dropping to 16+ likely isn't going to be noticeable by the average person, you'll still be amazingly confident or assured compared to most people. But if you're 10 Cha, dropping to 8 is going to make you appear even more withdrawn or sullen. And since most specimens of a given race use the standard or elite array, they're likely to be closer to that 10 than not.

RedMage125
2019-07-01, 12:41 PM
I've read that when CHA drops to 0, the character is incapacitated because they're basically catatonic. They've lost so much of their sense of self that they can no longer so much as move.

I would think that CHA damage would be something that brings them closer to this, like Ego Whip as mentioned. Their very identity is being assaulted.

Kris Moonhand
2019-07-01, 11:16 PM
The Wolf Savage (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Wolf%20Savage) feat allows you to deal Charisma damage, and it states that it's "supernatural disfiguration". Of course, it involves you ripping into someone with your claws.