PDA

View Full Version : I have a few questions about D&D 3.5

Zalnot
2019-07-01, 07:47 AM
Hey first post here just so you know. I have a few questions about D&D 3.5e just recently started playing it and I don't want to make a major fool out of myself. Okay question 1. I know the basic mechanics behind potion brewing but could a wizard brew a potion with the magic armor spell? Question 2. could a wizard brew a potion with a touch spell such as burning hands and if so what effect would it have? Would it be like a temporary enchantment or something else. Thanks in advance

Khedrac
2019-07-01, 08:14 AM
Hey first post here just so you know. I have a few questions about D&D 3.5e just recently started playing it and I don't want to make a major fool out of myself.
Welcome to 3.5 D&D - and don't worry about making a fool out of yourself, the rules are in general a mess. If you follow the Simple RAW questions thread you will see some of the experienced board members are just as likely to ask a question as answer one! We all know the rules are confusing so you won't seem foolish to us - in fact you will seem the wiser for checking!

Okay question 1. I know the basic mechanics behind potion brewing but could a wizard brew a potion with the magic armor spell?
Let's check to see what the SRD actually says:

You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.
And looking at the spell:

Target: Creature touched
So yes, mage armor can be brewed into a potion.

Question 2. could a wizard brew a potion with a touch spell such as burning hands and if so what effect would it have? Would it be like a temporary enchantment or something else. Thanks in advance
Now this one is a bit more complex, looking at the SRD again:

Burning Hands
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Fire 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 15 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A cone of searing flame shoots from your fingertips. Any creature in the area of the flames takes 1d4 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 5d4). Flammable materials burn if the flames touch them. A character can extinguish burning items as a full-round action.
Unlike mage armor this entry does not have a "target" line; so the question is, does a 15' cone mean the spell "targets one or more creatures" and the answer here is "no" - the spell simply creates an area of flame without targetting anyone - the spell fills that area which isn't "targetting creatures" as the dictionary usually defines it.

So, in answer no, you cannot create a potion of a spell like burning hands.

MisterKaws
2019-07-01, 08:19 AM
You could, however, make a Potion of Combust, and it would likely affect targets with a ranged throw using Touch AC.

Though even that is kinda confusing.

ShurikVch
2019-07-01, 08:31 AM
There is Elixir of Fire Breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofFireBreath); but it's Wondrous Item, not a Potion