PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1169 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2019-07-01, 07:51 AM
New comic is up.

Hardcore
2019-07-01, 07:54 AM
I have a suspicion the friendly banter is to lull us into some false security before RB drops a bomb.
Super first too!

ellindsey
2019-07-01, 07:57 AM
Nice artwork on the stairs and the Blade Barrier in this one.

HouseRules
2019-07-01, 07:59 AM

Better than Tarquin's Swords?
Sure, these blades are moving, not fixed in one place.

Hardcore
2019-07-01, 07:59 AM

Yeees, they are indeed not swords this time. Looks like some kind of shuriken or obscure indian weapon.

HouseRules
2019-07-01, 08:01 AM
Yeees, they are indeed not swords this time. Looks like some kind of shuriken or obscure indian weapon.

Woo, it looks like you could see my post before I hit "submit reply".

Just joking.

HorizonWalker
2019-07-01, 08:02 AM
Logann kinda reminds me of a short, hairy Roy, right down to the constant talking.

I like it.

Alabenson
2019-07-01, 08:03 AM
Ouch, Durkon's cousin's going to need another Cure Critical Wounds for that burn :smalltongue:

Quebbster
2019-07-01, 08:04 AM
I kind of want to see Sigdi turning the battle around.

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 08:05 AM
Is Gontor* just walking away in panel 7?
Poor Logann, he was trying so hard to get his moment.

So are the characters going to pretend Blade Barrier always looked like that or do Clerics of Hel get a different one? Or maybe the caster can choose the melee weapon that makes the barrier?

Coyote0715
2019-07-01, 08:06 AM
Mom just being mom.

brian 333
2019-07-01, 08:08 AM
Just like old times! Logann and Durkon picking up where they left off.

declinator
2019-07-01, 08:10 AM
Last time I looked, Sigdi had a weapon at the end of #1166 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1166.html), but I can't see it now. Did the Giant retcon the mysteriously appearing weapon out of existence? Or do I misremember things?

EDIT: Not misremembering (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?589763-OOTS-1166-The-Discussion-Thread&p=23959381#post23959381). Art mistake - fixed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23959601&postcount=91).

Peelee
2019-07-01, 08:13 AM
Those damage lines... I thought a simple punch was going to take him down before Durkon cleric'd all over the place.

Cicciograna
2019-07-01, 08:14 AM
Dwarves are awesome.

tigerusthegreat
2019-07-01, 08:14 AM
Logann kinda reminds me of a short, hairy Roy, right down to the constant talking.

I like it.

What if (if this was a real d&d game) the DM let the players roll up dwarven characters to participate in the inner battle and this one is Roy's? Now we meed to find the rest of the party.

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 08:15 AM
Last time I looked, Sigdi had a weapon at the end of #1166 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1166.html), but I can't see it now. Did the Giant retcon the mysteriously appearing weapon out of existence? Or do I misremember things?

Yes the Giant admitted the mistake and fixed it.

White_Mouse
Wait, who else did this "What am I doing, I'm getting distracted" bit in the comic?
It sounds so familiar, it's unfunny!

anonynos

He did, because she dropped the axe and thus shouldn't have had it at the end there. IIRC he said he'd drawn the panels out of order and then forgotten to go back and remove the axe after he decided it was a good visual to show it down in the pit.

(edit to add link)
Here is his comment about it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?589763-OOTS-1166-The-Discussion-Thread&p=23959601#post23959601)

Goblin_Priest
2019-07-01, 08:24 AM
It's but a flesh wound. :P

johnbragg
2019-07-01, 08:28 AM
Not using 3.5/OGL engine at all anymore--some system where you can take multiple actions on your turn, presumably some sort of regenerating mana system.

Morquard
2019-07-01, 08:36 AM
Damn Durkon, your cousin will need another heal after that burn :D

RyanW1019
2019-07-01, 08:36 AM
That is funny! Better living through magic.

redwizard007
2019-07-01, 08:37 AM
Not using 3.5/OGL engine at all anymore--some system where you can take multiple actions on your turn, presumably some sort of regenerating mana system.

Or haste, or quicken spell, or it wasn't in combat so no turns...

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 08:40 AM

Or the fight was over since Gontor went away in panel 7 (presumably to the Inner Chamber) and the dwarves are going after him in the last one.

To the one who asked wich dwarves would be analoguous the other PCs:

Haley: the Rogue Twins,

V: Logann's spellcasting sister.

Elan: Jenna.

Bekar: NotThad?

Grey Watcher
2019-07-01, 08:40 AM
Stealing his thunder seems perfectly fair Durkon. Balances the scales between you two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0962.html), I think.

johnbragg
2019-07-01, 08:42 AM

3.0 haste maybe. Metamagic has generally been announced. And we've been in combat for a while, initiative has definitely been rolled.

We're outside the 3.5 parameters, and in the story. If you REALLY need 3.5 RAW to still be in effect, then sure, it was a quickened cure critical wounds from an 8th level slot.

Hardcore
2019-07-01, 08:43 AM

Yeah, but I don't like the art creep. Hopefully the comic will end before it goes totally realistic.

kiapet
2019-07-01, 08:43 AM
Torn between laughing at the family's antics and worrying about the unnecessary spell slot usage for Cure Critical Wounds

Moriel64
2019-07-01, 08:48 AM
Ahh, Sigdi. She sounds just like my mother on long car trips. All we need now is for two of them to start bickering over which vamp is "theirs" to kill. . .

"Sarge, he's whaling on MY vamp!"
"I got here first!"
"Did not!"
"Did too!"
"Both of you shut up. Do I have to separate you again? Dust him and move on before I stop this whole fight and turn us around!"
(in unison)"Yes, Sarge."

And gorgeous art on the wall of blades. And love Durkon cutting off the heroic speech. . . he's used to Roy, who doesn't do that.:cool:

johnbragg
2019-07-01, 08:51 AM

Or the fight was over since Gontor went away in panel 7 (presumably to the Inner Chamber and the dwarves are going after him in the last one.

To the one who asked wich dwarves would be analoguous the other PCs:

Haley: the Rogue Twins,

V: Logann's spellcasting sister.

Elan: Jenna.

Bekar: NotThad?

3.0 haste maybe. Metamagic has generally been announced. And we've been in combat for a while, initiative has definitely been rolled.

We're outside the 3.5 parameters, and in the story. If you REALLY need 3.5 RAW to still be in effect, then sure, it was a quickened cure critical wounds from an 8th level slot.

Yeah, I wouldn't have DM'ed it that way, because movement rates are a factor, but "we go off initiative after the blade barrier" is a solid explanation.

redwizard007
2019-07-01, 08:55 AM
So with one panel D burned his cousin, hyped his buddy, and established relative power levels.

3:1 odds that cuz bites it in the next fight.

Peelee
2019-07-01, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but I don't like the art creep.

Really? I can't get enough of it!

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 09:00 AM
Yeah, but I don't like the art creepReally? I can't get enough of it!

No I agree, I can't stand that guy. Always following me with his brushes and canvas, looking at me throught the windows...

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-01, 09:03 AM
No I agree, I can't stand that guy. Always following me with his brushes and canvas, looking at me throught the windows...
Thinks real life is like Moulin Rouge. . .

HandofShadows
2019-07-01, 09:03 AM
Love how casual he is about it. :smallcool: Really though, has the Order gotten that powerful compared to many adventurers and we don't really see it since it's been a gradual climb?

redwizard007
2019-07-01, 09:09 AM
Love how casual he is about it. :smallcool: Really though, has the Order gotten that powerful compared to many adventurers and we don't really see it since it's been a gradual climb?

There was that time Hailey soloes a flesh golem. That's CR7 in 3.5 and it was about a million strips ago. Or the soul grafts. We could always try to estimate based on spell use.

I think we might be in top tier play

Jannoire
2019-07-01, 09:12 AM
3:1 odds that cuz bites it in the next fight.

Bite attack against vampires?
Or do you mean he gets bitten?

Peelee
2019-07-01, 09:13 AM

I greatly enjoyed that one. Well played.

redwizard007
2019-07-01, 09:14 AM

I meant dies, but with dwarves you can't rule out the odd bite once in awhile.

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-01, 09:15 AM
"Bites it" is an idiomatic expression meaning "dies."

Kish
2019-07-01, 09:15 AM
Yes (except for the part where we totally did see it). They're near-epic. And Qarr pointed out that very few wizards ever see tenth level.

Jannoire
2019-07-01, 09:17 AM

I'm aware of the connotation (every queen fan will be), I just wanted to get that low hanging pun opportunity.

Oppuntunity?

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-01, 09:18 AM
Yes (except for the part where we totally did see it). They're near-epic. And Qarr pointed out that very few wizards ever see tenth level.
"Near-Epic" was a bit of hyperbole on Mr. Burlew's part. The Order is decidedly mid-teens and while that makes them high-level, Epic is still a ways off.

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 09:21 AM
I greatly enjoyed that one. Well played.

I aim to please.

semi
2019-07-01, 09:38 AM

Glaive from Krull?

ken
2019-07-01, 09:57 AM
Glaive from Krull?

That was five armed - these appear to have 3 arms...

...but then again, OOTS characters appear to have 3 digits on their hands instead of 5 ...so... possibly!

Elkad
2019-07-01, 10:11 AM
Glaive from Krull?

Not enough arms.

More of a weaponized fidget spinner :)

Psychronia
2019-07-01, 10:15 AM
Ah....Family.

I have many questions about Blade Barrier now. Is it based on the weapon culture of the cleric's sect? Or is it something a cleric can just...choose?

If it's the former, what happens in cultures that don't use bladed weapons for some bizarre reason? If it's the latter, I'm left to ponder creative alternative uses for the spell.

drazen
2019-07-01, 10:17 AM

Isn't a round something ridiculously short, like 6 seconds? Not a D&D player, but feel like I saw that somewhere. So 12 seconds instead of 6. Gontor was ignoring them anyway.

SilverCacaobean
2019-07-01, 10:17 AM
Funny strip, but there's something I don't understand. How did they get rid of the dominated guards?

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-07-01, 10:21 AM
Funny strip, but there's something I don't understand. How did they get rid of the dominated guards?

By reducing their HP to under the total of nonlethal damage.

Grey Wolf

hroþila
2019-07-01, 10:33 AM
Ah....Family.

I have many questions about Blade Barrier now. Is it based on the weapon culture of the cleric's sect? Or is it something a cleric can just...choose?

If it's the former, what happens in cultures that don't use bladed weapons for some bizarre reason? If it's the latter, I'm left to ponder creative alternative uses for the spell.
Which cultures don't use any blades?

gatemansgc
2019-07-01, 10:36 AM

there's also the fact that the giant has stated that good storytelling > RAW

Rollin
2019-07-01, 10:37 AM
Wait, who else did this "What am I doing, I'm getting distracted" bit in the comic?

Although this isn't quite the same, since Vampire Gontor mentioned his master getting distracted, I do think of #1126 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1126.html).

Maybe Belkar's shot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1164.html) struck home after all... at least communicating the essential fact that a vampire can be defeated from within. Maybe the real Gontor, with his rhetorical bent, can take it from there.

I always thought we'd get to see what "worst moment" of Gontor's makes his vampire so absurdly preoccupied with place and role (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1086.html). I won't be surprised if that's coming up soon, although I expect I will be surprised by everything else about it, of course.

Jay R
2019-07-01, 10:37 AM
What a delightful family moment.

When Rich finishes with the Order of the Stick, I think I'd like to see All in the Dwarven Family.

Peelee
2019-07-01, 10:39 AM
Which cultures don't use any blades?

Hirsutites. :smalltongue:

Anansiil
2019-07-01, 10:44 AM
Let's work to make all fights and disagreements just like this!
Sidgi, putting the giant heart in the battleground. (Gitbg)

Rollin
2019-07-01, 10:49 AM
Let's work to make all fights and disagreements just like this!

Yes! "I can defend you better than you can defend me! See?" "Well, you just wait..."

Anansiil
2019-07-01, 10:55 AM

Lol, that's too adorable/hilarious to imagine...
*begins imagining*

Frozenstep
2019-07-01, 10:55 AM

One of the frost giants. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1071.html)

Anarion
2019-07-01, 11:30 AM
That is a gorgeous blade barrier. I am sad for its brief existence.

woweedd
2019-07-01, 11:36 AM
I'm loving the banter.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-01, 11:51 AM
That much burn could take out a troll.

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-01, 12:03 PM
One does not joke about trolls in Durkon's company.

Shoelessgdowar
2019-07-01, 12:05 PM
Ah....Family.

That's easy, I have two answers.

1) They're real tools, and so are the blades in their walls.

2) The go green, weed wack people with blades of grass... of course perhaps they cane them, since technically bamboo is a type of grass, so a bamboo rod is a blade of grass. Good way to really give your opponent the shaft.

Hirsutites. :smalltongue:

That sounds like a hairy situation. Though Occam's Razor probably says they still have blades as torture devices and grooming supplies.

Well, technically the full version is "Bite the big one", and that is almost never a dwarf (Dwarves are like the second smallest playable species in the Medium Size Category, only Gnomes being less big, anything else playable that is smaller actually being literally in the Small or lower size categories), so it is unlikely a Dwarf can Bite the Big One.

I'm aware of the connotation (every queen fan will be), I just wanted to get that low hanging pun opportunity.

Oppuntunity?

Pungeon Masters always seek maximum punitive damage when attacks of oppuntunity are triggered, just be cautious as to not make them to pungent, as those stink (though even those can be the bomb, just don't let them blow up in your face).

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-01, 12:09 PM
That's easy, I have two answers.

1) They're real tools, and so are the blades in their walls.

2) The go green, weed wack people with blades of grass... of course perhaps they cane them, since technically bamboo is a type of grass, so a bamboo rod is a blade of grass. Good way to really give your opponent the shaft.

That sounds like a hairy situation. Though Occam's Razor probably says they still have blades as torture devices and grooming supplies.

Well, technically the full version is "Bite the big one", and that is almost never a dwarf (Dwarves are like the second smallest playable species in the Medium Size Category, only Gnomes being less big, anything else playable that is smaller actually being literally in the Small or lower size categories), so it is unlikely a Dwarf can Bite the Big One.

Pungeon Masters always seek maximum punitive damage when attacks of oppuntunity are triggered, just be cautious as to not make them to pungent, as those stink (though even those can be the bomb, just don't let them blow up in your face).
Gnomes are Small in 3.5.

The_Weirdo
2019-07-01, 12:13 PM
Durkon's cousin is a showoff. I like it, that has style! :smallbiggrin:

woweedd
2019-07-01, 12:17 PM
You would know. I swear, you people are everywhere in this Playground.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-07-01, 01:37 PM
Logann: male dwarf fighter <14

Love these jokes.

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 02:39 PM
It's Blade Barrier, not Bladed Weapon Barrier. Unless you are talking about a weapon that doesn't use any kind of blade at all, it would probably summon cutting tools, and if you are, that culture is so remove from human mentality I don't really see how it could come into war with human(-like creatures). Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_axe)'s a pretty old knife.

Although this isn't quite the same, since Vampire Gontor mentioned his master getting distracted, I do think of #1126 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1126.html).

Maybe Belkar's shot (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1164.html) struck home after all... at least communicating the essential fact that a vampire can be defeated from within. Maybe the real Gontor, with his rhetorical bent, can take it from there.

I always thought we'd get to see what "worst moment" of Gontor's makes his vampire so absurdly preoccupied with place and role (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1086.html). I won't be surprised if that's coming up soon, although I expect I will be surprised by everything else about it, of course.
I would be very surprised if we get to see Gontor's darkest moment because either it works and cheapens Durkon's own triumph or it fails and what was the point of seeing it then? Gontor is just a random NPC the protagonists exchanged two sentences with and who is being used/was turned into a minor antagonist, he's just not that important.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-07-01, 03:21 PM
It is kind of amusing to see Durkon in an upstaging sort of situation for once. I hope they can catch up to Gontor* quickly!

Really? I can't get enough of it!

I would agree. The art just grows more and more beautiful.

Peelee
2019-07-01, 03:32 PM
It's Blade Barrier, not Bladed Weapon Barrier. Unless you are talking about a weapon that doesn't use any kind of blade at all, it would probably summon cutting tools, and if you are, that culture is so remove from human mentality I don't really see how it could come into war with human(-like creatures).

With hammers. Warhammer, greathammers, claw hammers of you're more of a dagger person, and in a pinch there's always sledge.

Woe be unto those who dismiss bludgeoning damage!

JumboWheat01
2019-07-01, 03:36 PM
Sigdi saying such a mom line and I love it.

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 03:37 PM
With hammers. Warhammer, greathammers, claw hammers of you're more of a dagger person, and in a pinch there's always sledge.

Woe be unto those who dismiss bludgeoning damage!

First, good luck making a hammer without cutting tools.

Second, I wasn,'t asking about the technique. Ain't nobody waging war with amoeba.

ManuelSacha
2019-07-01, 03:44 PM
Oooooh!
Sick burn!
A shame Durkon will have to spend a Heal spell now...

NihhusHuotAliro
2019-07-01, 03:53 PM
Mad props to Logann for straight-up running through a wall of blades just to press a point.

Peelee
2019-07-01, 03:59 PM
First, good luck making a hammer without cutting tools.

You hammer it into shape with a rock. Or, as they call it, "Nature's Hammer." They fought other hammer cultures.:smalltongue:
This was during the era known as "Hammer Time."

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 04:03 PM
Mad props to Logann for straight-up running through a wall of blades just to press a point.

That Cure Critical Wounds could be missed by someone wounded in ways that couldn't have been avoided (like the dominated guards who the good guys plan to beat up to an inch of their life) or used offensively. eanwhile he looked like after going through that, Gontor could have killed him with a coughing fit.

It was dramatic and ballsy but it wasn,'t the best thought-out plan by a margin.

Somebody needs to learn that "stupid risks are just that: stupid (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html)" and that "Noble sacrifices only make sense when they solve the problem at hand. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1022.html)"

Edit:

You hammer it into shape with a rock. Or, as they call it, "Nature's Hammer." They fought other hammer cultures.:smalltongue:
This was during the era known as "Hammer Time."
Halt! Did you not see what that old knife link was?

Besides you can't sculpt with a hammer, you need a chisel, with a, you know, blade on it.

Peelee
2019-07-01, 04:09 PM
That Cure Critical Wounds could be missed by someone wounded in ways that couldn't have been avoided (like the dominated guards who the good guys plan to beat up to an inch of their life) or used offensively. eanwhile he looked like after going through that, Gontor could have killed him with a coughing fit.

It was dramatic and ballsy but it wasn,'t the best thought-out plan by a margin.

Somebody needs to learn that "stupid risks are just that: stupid (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html)" and that "Noble sacrifices only make sense when they solve the problem at hand. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1022.html)"

None of those lines were said by dwarves. :smallamused:

Also, sure you can sculpt with a hammer. It's just harder. That old knife link was just a sharpened hammer. Very silly, that'll never do good bludgeoning damage. :smalltongue:

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 04:14 PM
None of those lines were said by dwarves. :smallamused:
Are you saying that he is purposefully trying to get killed in battle? But wouldn’t that endanger the world for his own convienience and thus be dishonorable?

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-01, 04:21 PM
But wouldn’t that endanger the world for his own convienience and thus be dishonorable?
What have you got to say that endangering the world for one's personal convenience is necessarily dishonorable?

Peelee
2019-07-01, 04:22 PM
Are you saying that he is purposefully trying to get killed in battle? But wouldn’t that endanger the world for his own convienience and thus be dishonorable?

Short version? No.

Long version?

No decent dwarf would trade a glorious death for a few more decades of weak-willed life. No, sir. Dwarven life is long enough already, and putting your own life above the needs of the community is just self-serving greed.

Look at Sigdi in the first strip she appears in. She is not in combat; she is retired. But when an accident happens in front of her, she springs into action—even though she is less equipped to help than any other adult present. If that dwarven laborer had dragged her off the mountain, she would have died with honor, but she did not help that man because doing so would have allowed her to die with honor. She helped him because it was the right thing to do. That's the dwarven way: Do the right thing regardless of the danger, knowing that if the danger overwhelms you, you'll be rewarded in the next life.

JT
2019-07-01, 04:31 PM
Besides you can't sculpt with a hammer, you need a chisel, with a, you know, blade on it.

Sure you can. You chip off small (or not so small) flakes, or powder a small divot, depending on how you strike.

In point of fact, the earliest blades that were made were likely created by pounding one rock with a hammer-stone.

(A “blade” should not be confused with a “point” ... so charring spear-tips to get a pointy stick is not creating a blade.)

Emperor Time
2019-07-01, 04:56 PM
Glad Durkon saved his cousin from dying too early on. Because he young enough to have many more chances of dying an honorable death in the future. And can drink with Thor at that time instead.

Ridureyu
2019-07-01, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry, but in the comic I'm used to, only the bad guys get to effortlessly dispel their opponent's plans :p

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 05:03 PM
Short version? No.

Long version?
How does that relate to the situation? Sigdi was doing everyhting she could to save that man. If my understanding of what you said Logann was doing is correct, thzat would be like sigdi shoving an able-bodied person (thus with a better chance of rescueing the falling dwarf) out of the way so that she could get the chance to go to Valhalla.

What have you got to say that endangering the world for one's personal convenience is necessarily dishonorable?
Because most examples of honorable deaths we're given in-and-out of comic (azs well as general dwarven attitudes towards life) points to putting the community ahead of oneself as honourable and the opposite as dishonourable.

Kareeah_Indaga
2019-07-01, 05:05 PM
Still loving Sigdi. :smallsmile:

Peelee
2019-07-01, 06:18 PM
How does that relate to the situation?

Sigdi was less equipped to help than any other adult present. Logan is less equipped to help than Durkon. Sigdi helped because it was the right thing to do, regardless of the danger. Logann chased after the Ex-Exarch because it was the right thing to do, regardless of the danger.

The Sigdi example I only left if because the parts that relate to every dwarf frame it through Sigdi's actions there.

Or, of you would like it put another way: Dwarves are weird. :smallwink:

brian 333
2019-07-01, 06:27 PM
Still loving Sigdi. :smallsmile:

I will be sad when she stays behind to care for Kudzu. Sigdi gets my vote for favorite minor NPC.

TerrickTerran
2019-07-01, 06:37 PM
That last comment was one of the best laughs I have had in a while.:smallbiggrin:

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 06:45 PM
Sigdi was less equipped to help than any other adult present. Logan is less equipped to help than Durkon. Sigdi helped because it was the right thing to do, regardless of the danger. Logann chased after the Ex-Exarch because it was the right thing to do, regardless of the danger.

The Sigdi example I only left if because the parts that relate to every dwarf frame it through Sigdi's actions there.

Or, of you would like it put another way: Dwarves are weird. :smallwink:

Sigdi was the only one close enough to catch the guy and she was doing everything she could to save the guy, that is wholly different from Logann intentionnally screwing up and depleting Durkon's spells. Especially since this is a team effort.

LtPowers
2019-07-01, 06:52 PM
Now I'm really worried Sigdi isn't going to survive this chapter.

Powers &8^]

Peelee
2019-07-01, 07:01 PM
Sigdi was the only one close enough to catch the guy and she was doing everything she could to save the guy, that is wholly different from Logann intentionnally screwing up and depleting Durkon's spells. Especially since this is a team effort.

Logan was doing everything he could to fight Gonetor. And he didn't deplete Durkon's spells any more than I depleted my friends money when he offered to buy my lunch after we ate.

Fyraltari
2019-07-01, 07:06 PM
Logan was doing everything he could to fight Gonetor. And he didn't deplete Durkon's spells any more than I depleted my friends money when he offered to buy my lunch after we ate.

Okay, so this:

None of those lines were said by dwarves.Are you saying that he is purposefully trying to get killed in battle? But wouldn’t that endanger the world for his own convienience and thus be dishonorable?
was a misunderstanding.

Grey Watcher
2019-07-01, 07:07 PM

In fairness, unlike Roy, Logann probably doesn't know what spells Durkon typically has prepared, so just went with his instincts rather than stop and ask.

Peelee
2019-07-01, 07:10 PM
Okay, so this:

was a misunderstanding.

I think so, yeah. He's not purposely trying to get himself killed, he just doesn't mind if he dies trying to take the enemy down as much as Roy would. Taking him down is still priority 1, but a Wall of Blades ain't giving him pause.

Matt620
2019-07-01, 10:02 PM
Even in battle, Sigdi is still polite.

mjasghar
2019-07-01, 10:29 PM
"Bites it" is an idiomatic expression meaning "dies."
The full expression is to bite the dust - presumably from the concept that you fall forward with your mouth open

understatement
2019-07-01, 11:35 PM
Awesome Blade Barrier depiction.

...and, uh, let's go dwarfs! They'll make it in someday.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-01, 11:58 PM
You would know. I swear, you people are everywhere in this Playground.

Soon the polymorph potion will take effect, and you will be one of us as well.

Ruck
2019-07-02, 02:52 AM
Oooooh!
Sick burn!
A shame Durkon will have to spend a Heal spell now...
Why is that?

Jannoire
2019-07-02, 03:13 AM
Why is that?

On the burn Logan got

Quartz
2019-07-02, 05:27 AM
Glaive from Krull?

That was my first thought.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-02, 07:34 AM
Awesome Blade Barrier depiction.

...and, uh, let's go dwarfs! They'll make it in someday.

GO DWARVES!!! haha...

Malphegor
2019-07-02, 07:38 AM
guys, maybe the vampires all have the feat Spell Thematics and decided to have the Blade Barrier look like a bunch of pointy looking shuriken thingies.

As to dwarven philosophy, I guess it could be summed up as "we do what we can, and if we can't, well, at least we tried." The dwarven mindset is all about trying to be the best you you can be, and if you can't meet those standards, och, aye, ye failed, but at least you reached for the stars.

monomer
2019-07-02, 09:20 AM
Huh, I assumed that the multiple blades shown in the artwork was just depicting single blades spinning super-fast, not shuriken-like multi-bladed objects.

Peelee
2019-07-02, 09:35 AM
Huh, I assumed that the multiple blades shown in the artwork was just depicting single blades spinning super-fast, not shuriken-like multi-bladed objects.

It looks like both to me. The solid colored blades are the shape of the object, and the more transparent ones are indications of spinning.

Silent Wrangler
2019-07-02, 09:42 AM
Cultures without blades use an upgraded version: Booze Barrier. In addition to bludgeoning damage, it makes target confused on a failed Fort save.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-02, 10:20 AM
That would never work on dwarves. Two livers, remember.

Ruck
2019-07-02, 11:00 AM
On the burn Logan got

Oh, haha. The line between someone making a joke and someone missing something in the comic can be hard for me to tell.

Xel
2019-07-02, 01:27 PM

Somebody needs to learn that "stupid risks are just that: stupid (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html)" and that "Noble sacrifices only make sense when they solve the problem at hand. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1022.html)".
Since Logann has been hanging out (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1133.html) with Squeaky and Janna (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1146.html) for a while (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1165.html), I suspect you may be underestimating the plan. Imagine the warping of reality possible by the sheer mass of drama we are presented with by this family of the dwarf varietal...

woweedd
2019-07-02, 02:42 PM

Edit:

Halt! Did you not see what that old knife link was?

Not for Dwarves. For Dwarves, when you get the chance to sacrifice yourself, you do it.

Pampukin
2019-07-02, 02:47 PM

Same.

guys, maybe the vampires all have the feat Spell Thematics and decided to have the Blade Barrier look like a bunch of pointy looking shuriken thingies.

I forgot 3.5 had that, I always gave that feat to my casters. Why wouldnt your scorching ray look like a pack of fire wolves jumping the enemy, or fire platypuses?

Lombard
2019-07-02, 05:55 PM
Lol. Everybody's a tough guy when they have a high level cleric standing right behind them.

woweedd
2019-07-02, 06:08 PM
Lol. Everybody's a tough guy when they have a high level cleric standing right behind them.
Including, and perhaps especially, the Cleric themselves. Seriously, my running theory on why people didn't like the Healer category being called "Leader" in 4E was because it's too honest. :smallbiggrin: I'm not even joking: The situational awareness needed to be a good healer and the situational awareness needed to be a good field commander actually map very well.

Fyraltari
2019-07-02, 06:41 PM

Except the undead. They get all sweaty. Well, they would if they could.

RabanoDOOM
2019-07-02, 07:17 PM
Dwarves don't believe in the weapon triangle, and luckily for everybody, D&D doesn't believe in it either.

RabanoDOOM
2019-07-02, 07:33 PM
Including, and perhaps especially, the Cleric themselves. Seriously, my running theory on why people didn't like the Healer category being called "Leader" in 4E was because it's too honest.:smallbiggrin: I'm not even joking: The situational awareness needed to be a good healer and the situational awareness needed to be a good field commander actually map very well.

Couldn't agree more. I remember too clearly a dungeon crawl session where, instead of saving my spell slots for potentially hype 3rd or 4th level spells, I just loaded my party up with Protection from Acid and Death Ward on a hunch they'd probably be very important. These ended up being the decisive factor in a boss fight against a massive demon ooze, and if neither had been up on the monk in particular, he would've been instantly obliterated by a pair of nat 20 attacks. Making long-term decisions like that is the cleric's thing, it's so satisfying to make a good call like that!

Squire Doodad
2019-07-02, 07:38 PM
I forgot 3.5 had that, I always gave that feat to my casters. Why wouldnt your scorching ray look like a pack of fire wolves jumping the enemy, or fire platypuses?

Fire walruses are my favorite. It technically improves the range, too! Just...don't try it as a Fire Tarrasque.

LuminousWarrior
2019-07-02, 07:45 PM
I forgot 3.5 had that, I always gave [Spell Thematics] to my casters. Why wouldn't your scorching ray look like a pack of fire wolves jumping the enemy, or fire platypuses?

That has got to be the most useless feat I've ever seen. All it gives you is +5 to Spellcraft checks to identify your spells and implies that "minor visual customization that has no real mechanical benefit" needs a feat when it should be standard. Obviously the necromancer's Fireball should be shaped like a giant skull made of unnatural green flame, why do I need to give him a feat for that?

Squire Doodad
2019-07-02, 08:03 PM
That has got to be the most useless feat I've ever seen. All it gives you is +5 to Spellcraft checks to identify your spells and implies that "minor visual customization that has no real mechanical benefit" needs a feat when it should be standard. Obviously the necromancer's Fireball should be shaped like a giant skull made of unnatural green flame, why do I need to give him a feat for that?

What I would have done is make it so that it explicitly has use, for tricking people and impressing them. Your wizard needs to make a CHA role to wow the crowd in a carnival? With the feat he can make a Cone of Cold shaped like a charging rider and get a bonus on his roll/reward.

This is just to improve that one feat, it doesn't take the existence of anything else into account. Basically the addition would amount to "justifies roleplaying moment with loosely defined but concrete benefits", but that's better than what it already has.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-02, 09:38 PM

You didn't need to in 2Ed. Customizing the appearance of your spells was part of the fun. I still remember the sea mage whose magic missiles were little sharks that swam up and bit people.

JumboWheat01
2019-07-02, 10:04 PM
You didn't need to in 2Ed. Customizing the appearance of your spells was part of the fun. I still remember the sea mage whose magic missiles were little sharks that swam up and bit people.

... I may now have an idea for a water genasi wizard.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-02, 10:36 PM
If you want more ideas, I think the Dragon article was titled 'Color of Magic'.

Seward
2019-07-03, 03:50 AM
The situational awareness needed to be a good healer and the situational awareness needed to be a good field commander actually map very well.

Yeah. We called it "Medic-Support", with "SUPPORT" being the key.

When I had a character in that role by the time we were past level 10 in critical fights I would sometimes save 3 different people in one round by doing something with my standard action, my swift action and my move action. As an example of how it usually isn't just healing, the first example that comes to mind was right after a bunch of party members failed key saves - move action pulled one paralyzed guy out of a drowning situation, standard action used an offensive ability to obliterate a minor demon threatening to coup-de-graze a second paralyzed guy and quickened remove sickness got the fighter who blew a nausea save while standing next to the biggest demon back into the fight just in time for her full attack....

We went from "oh **** we're all gonna die" to "we're fine" in the space of my action (and that fighter's full attack wrecking the main threat). Moments like that are why it is fun to play those kinds of characters. Most actual healing happens between fights, but there are a lot of ways to save lives with other abilities that don't involve doing 200 damage per round.

Chantelune
2019-07-03, 11:05 AM
Ouch, is that burnt beard I smell ? :smallamused:

mjasghar
2019-07-03, 05:47 PM
Except from his reaction he wasn’t counting on getting healed - so he really is tough

Lombard
2019-07-03, 07:41 PM
Except from his reaction he wasn’t counting on getting healed - so he really is tough

I think I agree with you. On the other hand there's always the possibility this is a "Hold Me Back, Guys" type of guy!

F.Harr
2019-07-04, 01:27 AM
And you do not want me to turn this battle around.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-04, 04:33 AM

Most dwarves are tough, if they aren't, they're bearded gnomes.

JumboWheat01
2019-07-04, 07:39 AM

But gnomes can grow beards just fine...

Peelee
2019-07-04, 07:47 AM

I think we've seen gnomes can be plenty tough.

Personification
2019-07-04, 03:48 PM

Anything that can survive as many lab incidents as the average gnome does on an average day is much tougher than some weakling with a measly poison resistance. And my Apparatus of Kwalish will back me up on that.

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-04, 10:19 PM
Including, and perhaps especially, the Cleric themselves. Seriously, my running theory on why people didn't like the Healer category being called "Leader" in 4E was because it's too honest.:smallbiggrin: I'm not even joking: The situational awareness needed to be a good healer and the situational awareness needed to be a good field commander actually map very well. Yep. Also, loved this strip, and cannot fathom why people are getting all argumentative about the details. (been on vacation for a week, and coming back to this strip was quite a nice treat to offset the "damnit, vacation is over" blues).

Versen
2019-07-04, 11:39 PM
These are the best dwarves.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-05, 05:26 AM
I think we've seen gnomes can be plenty tough.

true... Maybe they are halflings then.. wait.. ALL the short people are tough!

Riftwolf
2019-07-05, 02:01 PM
Im kinda glad the people complaining that Durkon cast two spells in one round sorta died out before page 4. But its annoying because I came up with a detailed rationale using 3.5 rules. It hinges on Logann having the Die Hard feat.
1st round
Gontor: casts Blade Barrier, move action to walk away.
Logann: uses move action to walk through Blade Barrier, takes damage that drops him into negative hp. Loses standard/2nd move action (charging Gontor wasnt possible as steps count as difficult terrain). Speech is a free action.
Durkon: casts G. Dispel on Blade Barrier.
2nd round
Gontor: takes double action to move away.
Logann: still on negative hp; only has a move action (that would lose him hp), delays his turn to see what Durkon does
Durkon: moves forward, casts healing spell as his standard action.
Logann: now had two actions/turn, joins Durkon in double moving forward to chase Gontor

And yes, I did overthink this.

Peelee
2019-07-05, 02:49 PM
Im kinda glad the people complaining that Durkon cast two spells in one round sorta died out before page 4. But its annoying because I came up with a detailed rationale using 3.5 rules. It hinges on Logann having the Die Hard feat.

Well, he was prepared for battery...

Riftwolf
2019-07-05, 05:47 PM
true... Maybe they are halflings then.. wait.. ALL the short people are tough!

Halflings aren't tough, they're just lucky and harder to hit. Gnomes are tougher. Smurfs are the toughest though. They're not LA+4 for nothing.

Emmit Svenson
2019-07-05, 08:48 PM
For those whose enjoyment of the comic is enhanced by a neat fit to the rules, assume this happened:

In the first round after the Blade Barrier was cast, Durkon went after his cousin. He cast Greater Dispel Magic, then used a move action to move next to him.

In the second round, his cousin delayed his action until after Durkon cast his healing spell on him.

Delaying initiative is a too-often forgotten tactical move.

Particle_Man
2019-07-07, 12:06 AM

I think that the dwarves will be in the "no magic or you are stone" place beyond the blue barrier long before Durkon has to worry about running out of spells.

Oh, and Belkar is pretty tough.

JumboWheat01
2019-07-07, 09:03 AM
Oh, and Belkar is pretty tough.

Now that's just insulting. Belkar isn't tough. He's a sexy, shoeless god of war. Completely different level. :smallwink:

Peelee
2019-07-07, 09:28 AM
Now that's just insulting. Belkar isn't tough. He's a sexy, shoeless god of war. Completely different level. :smallwink:

I do agree that Belkar isn't tough; after all, he did get his ass knocked back to basic by an unarmored human with a plank of wood. :smallamused:

The MunchKING
2019-07-07, 04:29 PM
I do agree that Belkar isn't tough; after all, he did get his ass knocked back to basic by an unarmored human with a plank of wood. :smallamused:

What does Armor have to do with how much damage the human can do with a plank? :smalltongue:

JumboWheat01
2019-07-07, 04:41 PM
Unarmored means he only has 10+Dex Mod AC, so the Belkster should have easily stabbed him before he got planked.

Peelee
2019-07-07, 04:44 PM
In fact, Belkar did easily hit him. Multiple times. Vs. the one hit Roy got in.

Also, I was thinking along the lines of "no magic items like Belt of Giant Strength on the human, and still got him in one shot.:smallwink:

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-07, 05:54 PM
In fact, Belkar did easily hit him. Multiple times. Vs. the one hit Roy got in.

Also, I was thinking along the lines of "no magic items like Belt of Giant Strength on the human, and still got him in one shot.:smallwink:
Power Attack's a beach.

JumboWheat01
2019-07-07, 06:06 PM
Power Attack's a beach.

No, power attack's a beast. The plank was beech. :smalltongue:

Riftwolf
2019-07-08, 06:01 AM
No, power attack's a beast. The plank was beech. :smalltongue:

That j-oaks been overdone. I don't cedar point in it anymore.

Jannoire
2019-07-08, 06:32 AM
That j-oaks been overdone. I don't cedar point in it anymore.

I willownly answer to your post, because I share that o-pine-ion

D.One
2019-07-08, 07:29 AM
Oh, gosh. I've missed a pun stand-off!

Punny me...

HorizonWalker
2019-07-08, 11:58 AM
Come on, guys, this is no time for acorny joke or tree.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-08, 12:05 PM
All these puns can be a real pain in the ash.

jwhouk
2019-07-08, 12:38 PM
I'm suddenly pine-ing for a new strip.

D.One
2019-07-08, 12:55 PM
I see we have many branches in this debate...

Havelocke
2019-07-08, 01:05 PM
A new strip would Spruce up the place a bit.

Coyote0715
2019-07-08, 01:32 PM
I wood add to the a-corniness, but I tree-t the English language with respect. Plus, I'm stumped.

Riftwolf
2019-07-08, 04:01 PM
A new strip would Spruce up the place a bit.

Conifer? I 'ardly knew 'er!
Oh wait I already made that joke today. I must be bushed.

D.One
2019-07-08, 04:31 PM
Conifer? I 'ardly knew 'er!
Oh wait I already made that joke today. I must be bushed.

That's not a grove mistake...

brian 333
2019-07-08, 08:54 PM
In a nutshell, when the OotS community is board, life's a birch.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-08, 09:54 PM
That's not a grove mistake...

If it was, we'd likely never cottonwood to it.

JumboWheat01
2019-07-08, 10:07 PM
I do not apple-gize for staring this train.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-08, 10:19 PM
Orange you glad we kept it going?

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-08, 11:36 PM
Orange you glad we kept it going?
I'm plum tired of it, myself.

Bob_McSurly
2019-07-08, 11:40 PM
To all the punners: Centreel command says "arbort! arbort!"
If I had a nickel for every truly awful pun I've made, I'd aspend a lot of money, so don't let mahogany of the limelight.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-07-09, 05:38 AM
you know, I just read through the last page of posts and I can't think of anything to add, so, Insert relevant pun here.

Jannoire
2019-07-09, 08:08 AM
you know, I just read through the last page of posts and I can't think of anything to add, so, Insert relevant pun here.

That lack of creativity forced a facepalm...

brian 333
2019-07-09, 10:44 AM
Facepalm. I get it.

This topic has gone banannas after only six pages, but it's starting to lose it's appeel. We usually get ten or fifteen pages before we walk the plank this way.

zimmerwald1915
2019-07-09, 10:51 AM
That lack of creativity forced a facepalm...
Date or coconut?

D.One
2019-07-09, 01:14 PM
This topic has gone banannas after only six pages, but it's starting to lose it's appeel. We usually get ten or fifteen pages before we walk the plank this way.

I beg you not to summon the Great Banana in vain. His Wisdow Musa be invoked only in times of great seed.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-09, 01:35 PM
Yes, to be summoned for something so trivial is almonds insulting.

Jasdoif
2019-07-09, 02:09 PM
This topic has gone banannas after only six pages, but it's starting to lose it's appeel. We usually get ten or fifteen pages before we walk the plank this way.I beg you not to summon the Great Banana in vain. His Wisdow Musa be invoked only in times of great seed.
Yes, to be summoned for something so trivial is almonds insulting.Oh for the Angel's sake, are we still stuck at "it's a plant that grows out of the ground really tall?" A tree theme would be better represented by an actual theme using an actual tree (product)....This isn't how herbal therapy works; you may think you're barking up a tree, but it'd be better to stem the inaccuracy before someone gets too stern. You're not the police of me. Pay attention.

D.One
2019-07-09, 02:30 PM
Oh for the Angel's sake, are we still stuck at "it's a plant that grows out of the ground really tall?"

Yeah, that's just grass...

Rogar Demonblud
2019-07-09, 05:09 PM
At least we didn't try to summon the banana for peanuts.

Which are actually beans.

Personification
2019-07-09, 05:27 PM
This descent from the true topic, a veritable forest of tree puns, into discussion of dates and coconuts and almonds is making me drupe. You guys are so nuts that you should all be sent to an a-xylum. If we don't take this discussion back to its roots, all will be fir naught.

Sir_Galliant
2019-07-09, 05:35 PM
We might be going a bit cocoa.

davidbofinger
2019-07-09, 08:38 PM
It's time for some Doraleous and Associates re-joinery (https://youtu.be/qNxRYMZLRSU?t=117)

D.One
2019-07-10, 06:53 AM
Yew! That's rose of you, mister. That I mustard say.

Peelee
2019-07-10, 08:06 AM
Yew! That's rose of you, mister. That I mustard say.

Well here we are. Ike, Mike, and Mustard.

danielxcutter
2019-07-10, 08:56 AM
At least we didn't try to summon the banana for peanuts.

Which are actually beans.

Uh... so "legumes" is the scientific name for beans or something?

Well here we are. Ike, Mike, and Mustard.

If that was a reference, I didn't get it.

Peelee
2019-07-10, 08:58 AM
If that was a reference, I didn't get it.

I cannot recommend Kiss Kiss Bang Bang highly enough. Shane Black's magnum opus, I tells ya!