PDA

View Full Version : Calis hite Elementalist

crankykobold
2019-07-01, 01:03 PM
The Calis hite Elementalist feat in Races of Faerun doesn't specifically say it is for arcane casters only, Only that Wizards get to add them to spellbook for free. Is it possible that divine casters can also access those spells by taking this feat?

weckar
2019-07-01, 01:27 PM
I don't think so. Neither do sorcerers.

Thurbane
2019-07-01, 03:38 PM
The way the feat is worded, anyone can benefit from the CL boost, but only Wizards gain access to the bonus spells.

Also, good to know about this feat - not many feats specifically allow you to break the CL limit for spell effects (Reserves of Strength is the only other one that pops to mind, though there may be more). It's very limited in terms of which spells get the boost, though.

crankykobold
2019-07-01, 04:04 PM
Im in Core + FR players, campaign, faiths, and race game. will be playing a cleric of Mystra. So if I take that feat and use G. Anyspell to prepare fireball the CL bonus would work? not really worth the feat but interesting.

WhamBamSam
2019-07-01, 04:04 PM
Seems like if you have a level of Wizard, any class with a spellbook can benefit from the bonus spells. Could be handy for a Chameleon, especially as they can dabble in different traditions by way of their floating feat.

weckar
2019-07-01, 04:34 PM
Also, good to know about this feat - not many feats specifically allow you to break the CL limit for spell effects (Reserves of Strength is the only other one that pops to mind, though there may be more). It's very limited in terms of which spells get the boost, though.

Also noteworthy that this effect is a lot better worded than Reserves of Strength :P

Psyren
2019-07-03, 09:23 AM
The Calis hite Elementalist feat in Races of Faerun doesn't specifically say it is for arcane casters only, Only that Wizards get to add them to spellbook for free. Is it possible that divine casters can also access those spells by taking this feat?

No, only Wizards get the bonus spells. Everyone else just gets the caster level increase.

Thurbane
2019-07-03, 04:55 PM
Seems like if you have a level of Wizard, any class with a spellbook can benefit from the bonus spells. Could be handy for a Chameleon, especially as they can dabble in different traditions by way of their floating feat.

I know there's a couple of other PrCs that use a spellbook: does anyone know some others?

Also, Death Masters use a spellbook, don't they?

[edit]
Also: Corrupt Avenger, Merchant Prince, Prime Underdark Guide, Wu Jen...

DrMotives
2019-07-03, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Deathmasters use a spellbook. While I think allowing them to benefit from the CL boost to the spells from the feat list is RAW, adding them to their class list isn't. You'd have to use something like Anyspell or other workarounds to cast some of these spells for some classes.

WhamBamSam
2019-07-03, 06:52 PM
Yeah, Deathmasters use a spellbook. While I think allowing them to benefit from the CL boost to the spells from the feat list is RAW, adding them to their class list isn't. You'd have to use something like Anyspell or other workarounds to cast some of these spells for some classes.What we’re saying is that they probably can benefit from the bonus spells by RAW provided that they dip a level in Wizard.

EDIT: If you mean adding spells not normally on the Death Master list, then you’re probably correct. Sort of the same as the permissive vs. non-permissive readings of Extra Spell.

DrMotives
2019-07-03, 07:25 PM
What we’re saying is that they probably can benefit from the bonus spells by RAW provided that they dip a level in Wizard.

I don't think that necessarily follows. If I made a wizard 1 / deathmaster X, it looks like RAW says the feat adds these spells for free to my wizard spellbook, which has no guaranteed overlap with my deathmaster spellbook. So I'd have the free level 0 & 1 spell from either air or fire tradition (both if I take the feat twice? It doesn't say but that seems a reasonable interpretation), but never get the 2nd or higher level spells for free if my wizard level never increases enough to learn them.

WhamBamSam
2019-07-04, 10:41 AM
I don't think that necessarily follows. If I made a wizard 1 / deathmaster X, it looks like RAW says the feat adds these spells for free to my wizard spellbook, which has no guaranteed overlap with my deathmaster spellbook. So I'd have the free level 0 & 1 spell from either air or fire tradition (both if I take the feat twice? It doesn't say but that seems a reasonable interpretation), but never get the 2nd or higher level spells for free if my wizard level never increases enough to learn them.The feat says "if you are a wizard" you get to do the thing with your spellbook. You are a wizard, so you do the thing with your Death Master/Chameleon/Whatever spellbook.

DrMotives
2019-07-04, 10:49 AM
The feat says "if you are a wizard" you get to do the thing with your spellbook. You are a wizard, so you do the thing with your Death Master/Chameleon/Whatever spellbook.

You're stretching the cheese pretty thin with that. I've not seen a group that would agree that that ruling makes sense. "If you are a wizard" followed by your spellbook means your wizard spellbook. Not your deathmaster / archivist / 3.0 assassin / whatever else. If those classes were meant to have that ability, it would say so. If you feel that the best houseruling is to allow them so, then a wizard dip is unnecessary, as you're now ruling that a spellbook-using class gets the benefit. Either way, a 1 level dip in wizard to allow those other classes to do stuff with their books is only RAW by the most ridiculous of mental gymnastics.

Thurbane
2019-07-04, 04:50 PM
Really, it's not much different than allowing a multiclass Duskblade to channel non-Duskblade spells. The wording of the ability doesn't exclude it.

The point as to whether adding the bonus spells to a non-Wizard spellbook allows you to use them or not through a class that doesn't have those spells on its list is the more relevant detail, IMHO.