PDA

View Full Version : Character Build With High Rolled Stats

Genoin
2019-07-01, 04:59 PM
Because of very generous character creation guidelines with rolling stats, I have for stats 18, 18, 17, 16, 14, 12. I would like some suggestions on what I could do with this. I am aware that with these stats I could do almost anything, but what I am really looking for is builds that may under normal character creation rules be interesting but suboptimal because of MADness. Only other member of the party I know for sure is a Celestial Warlock. All non-UA material allowed.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-01, 05:10 PM
Because of very generous character creation guidelines with rolling stats, I have for stats 18, 18, 17, 16, 14, 12. I would like some suggestions on what I could do with this. I am aware that with these stats I could do almost anything, but what I am really looking for is builds that may under normal character creation rules be interesting but suboptimal because of MADness. Only other member of the party I know for sure is a Celestial Warlock. All non-UA material allowed.

Good rule of thumb: Melee characters use 3 stats, ranged ones use 2, and add +1 stat for each non-synergistic multiclass you tack in there. With a build like yours, you have 4, maybe 5 viable stats.

For instance, you could afford to be an Eldritch Knight with levels into Warlock to fuel some stupid number of Shield spells. Or you could be a Cleric/Wizard with levels into Warlock for Short Rest spell slots.

My suggestion is a combination of Tempest Cleric and Storm Sorcerer. Sorcerers work well with basically any full caster (which I think is why the feature that makes this true is locked behind 3 levels of Sorcerer).

You could also afford to go Ancestral Guardian Barbarian + Drunken Master Monk. 3 levels into Barbarian, the rest into Monk, Reckless Attack + Flurry of Blows + Run the hell away from the thing you just taunted for lots of fun shenanigans.

Or play a Conquest Paladin with the fear spells from Wizard or something. There's not really any way to play it incorrectly. Just remember that:

Monks, Rogues, Barbarians all require you to be attacking things, and don't work well with conventional casting (unless it's for buffs/utility).
When mixing caster levels, focus on the passive benefits, or benefits that don't get in the way of your casting. For example, Cleric armor proficiencies, Warlock invocations, Bardic Inspiration, or Sorcerer Metamagics. Wizards + Druids, for instance, don't make a great pair (because they're both so focused on casting spells, so you can't use Wizard features with Druid features at the same time very easily).

So don't be stupid and go Cleric + Paladin, because one of the major benefits of multiclassing with Cleric is the proficiencies (which are redundant with Paladin levels), or don't pick Bard if you don't plan on using Bardic Inspiration (or if you plan on using your Bonus Action for other things).

Just follow those rules, and it's pretty dang hard to make a bad build. I spent a lot of time researching and analyzing various unorthodox multiclassing for the sake of perfecting my Prestige Options homebrew, so I'm probably more obsessed than most on the topic.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-01, 05:15 PM
Wood Elf - Bladesinger 2/Monk X

By lvl 3 you get AC 24 when bladesong is up, can bring it up to 29 using shield... this is at lvl 3...

You can switch it up and go Monk 1/BladesingerX, or some other combination, note that Shadow Blade can be used with Monk's martial arts since its a simple weapon without the two handed or heavy properties.

CTurbo
2019-07-01, 07:43 PM
I would take advantage of unarmored defense for sure whether it be Barbarian or Monk.

I play in a group notorious for high stat methods and my last 2 characters were Barbarian/Bard and Monk/Warlock. The Monk/Warlock has been fun, but I kinda wish I would have gone Monk/Bladesinger

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-02, 12:05 AM
You could also go with something that you normally wouldn't pick.
Like a Kobold Paladin or Eldritch Knight, for instance.
Heck, you could go EK/(War) Wizard and go first most fights and just go ham on your enemies.

Honestly, that would probably be what I'd go with, but I love EK and I want to try a Kobold one at some point.

Blood of Gaea
2019-07-02, 01:17 AM
Personally, I would probably go for a non-hexblade Bladelock.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-02, 02:14 AM
Have you chosen a race yet or are those stats just your rolls? Do you have any preference to the kind of character you'd like to play?

Genoin
2019-07-02, 06:10 AM
Have you chosen a race yet or are those stats just your rolls? Do you have any preference to the kind of character you'd like to play?

I have not chosen a race. Those are my rolled stats only. I dont have too much of a preference about what I play, but we are going to be a 3 person party, so I dont want to overlap too much with the Celestial Warlock. I'm not sure how I feel about multiclassing casters though, I'm not a fan of being behind spell levels.

Emongnome777
2019-07-02, 07:42 AM
MAD multiclass options are tempting, but I’d suggest a semi-MAD single class that will open up nearly all your ASIs for feats. Something like barbarian, monk, or paladin.

Also, what level do you expect to get to? Some things are cool at lower levels (AC 19 wood elf monk at 1st), but is monk something you’d enjoy through all the levels?

With a 3 person party, I’d suggest paladin and working toward PAM / Sentinel.

nickl_2000
2019-07-02, 08:22 AM
High Elf Dex Paladin 2 (or 6 or 7), Bladesinger X

You get crazy AC, smiting damage, distance cantrips, BB/GFB if you aren't going for multiple attacks, and Wizard Rituals/Utility. Sure you need Cha, Dex, Con, and Int (and 13 in strength), but you have the stats for it. You can cover just about any need the party has with wizard spell prep and your stats.

Str: 14
Dex: 18+2 (20)
Con: 16
Int: 17+1 (18)
Wis: 12
Cha: 18

At level 1 take Booming Blade as your cantrip if you want to focus on melee, or an utility cantrip for out of combat.

I did just notice that you didn't like being behind on spell levels, so maybe this won't work.

Wildarm
2019-07-02, 09:41 AM

Goliath Strength based Barb 1/Monk X would be good with those stats:

18 Str, 18 Dex, 18 Con, 18 Wis, 12 Int, 14 Cha

- Goliath can grapple and drag heavy opponents and racial gives you a good health buffer
- Rage gives a good damage boost to your flurry attacks, advantage on grapples and the ability to tank in melee.
- AC is decent(18), can be higher if you choose Kensei or bump Dex/Con/Wis with ASIs.
- Your Monk Subclass will define more of your role:
- Open Hand gives gives you more controller/grapple type options
- Drunken Master - Turns you into a skirmisher
- Long Death - More tanky
- Kensei - Higher AC and some extra damage
- Shadow - Turns you into an ambusher

RulesJD
2019-07-02, 09:57 AM
Depends, does the rest of your party also have really good stats?

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-02, 10:26 AM

I personally had a blast playing an Order of the Shadows Monk/Swashbuckler multiclass (ask your DM if he or she will allow Sneak Attack to proc off of Monk weapons and/or Unarmed Strikes). I can link you to maybe the very first thread where I brainstormed this idea on this forum if you'd like. You have WAY better stats for it too. I was the Drow Pirate Roberts because I cared more about the character than optimizing perfectly, but with those stats you could go far to either end of the spectrum. Either pick a race** that's amazing for what you want to do or pick a race that doesn't fit at all but that makes you smile (I'm looking at you Dragonborn Wizards).

An example of my build would be something like:

STR: 14
DEX: 18
CON: 17
INT: 12
WIS: 18
CHA: 16

I would go either Swashbuckler 5/OoS 15 or Swashbuckler 9/OoS 11 depending on what you value more (the Rogue levels or the Monk levels). Get to Level 3-4 in Swashbuckler then go to Monk levels for a while. Watch your Bonus Action and use it wisely as you'll typically have 3-4 options that could make sense in any given situation.

*Taking PAM with this build is extra nice as a feat with your 1/4 staff.
**Kobold as a race would work really really well here with Pack Tactics.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-02, 10:37 AM
Also, as a shameless self-plug I've wanted to play this build for a long time and haven't gotten the chance yet! It's not exactly MAD, but the better your Ability Scores* are the more viable it actually is. It's a Kobold Dex-based Barb. If you've got the time feel free to check it out below, and please let me know how it goes if by some slim chance you actually decide to go for this S-tier off-meta build. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold Dex Barb (https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wOj-ca3T7q36rYkqiF9NLHn7rp-TCiqk0ewIzzFL84/edit)

*For example, you'd have a 19 AC with Unarmored Defense at Level 1.

GlenSmash!
2019-07-02, 10:42 AM
I've always wanted to try a monk paladin. Fist smiting things sounds pretty rad.

Ranger Paladin is another I'd like to try.

I think that's what I'd do with those stats.

adolann
2019-07-02, 10:47 AM

I'm going to be boring and say make an elf, single classed Bladesinger. You actually have the stats to be effective in melee combat, and can afford to take, for example, Tough at level 4 which makes it safer for you to be in melee. Most of the time, the higher level features of Blade Singer aren't really that great, because you usually won't have the hit points to be in melee, and have switched over to mostly being a caster. You have the stats to make being a melee wizard actually viable. Being single classed, you get full wizard casting without slowing down your spell progression. Because you can get away with just taking a single ASI to Int to max out your primary abilities (if you start elf, you should have a 20 in both Dex and Int once you take the Int ASI), you can use feats to your advantage (I'd look into grabbing Tough and War Caster)

I'd start Str 12, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 16, Chr 14 (although you can mix Str, Wis, Chr to taste depending on what skills / background you want).

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-02, 10:54 AM
I'm going to be boring and say make an elf, single classed Bladesinger. You actually have the stats to be effective in melee combat, and can afford to take, for example, Tough at level 4 which makes it safer for you to be in melee. Most of the time, the higher level features of Blade Singer aren't really that great, because you usually won't have the hit points to be in melee, and have switched over to mostly being a caster. You have the stats to make being a melee wizard actually viable. Being single classed, you get full wizard casting without slowing down your spell progression. Because you can get away with just taking a single ASI to Int to max out your primary abilities (if you start elf, you should have a 20 in both Dex and Int once you take the Int ASI), you can use feats to your advantage (I'd look into grabbing Tough and War Caster)

I'd start Str 12, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 16, Chr 14 (although you can mix Str, Wis, Chr to taste depending on what skills / background you want).

I like this a lot too. Resilient Con is another good feat option to pair with War Caster. Never lose concentration again!

GlenSmash!
2019-07-02, 11:06 AM
Also if UA is allowed those stats would make for a killer Artificer. A single classed High Elf or Eladrin non Battlesmith artificer with huge Strength, wielding longsword and shield.

You could pickup warcaster easily enough since you don't have to raise any attributes.

I'd go Alchemist with the Homunculus granting me Temporary Hitpoints to survive in Melee.

Swosh
2019-07-02, 11:44 AM
With stats like that i would probably go a Sorcadin multiclassing into Wizard (6 Paladin / 12 Sorcerer / 2 Wizard). The Wizard part is arguably the best multiclass if it wasnt for the MADness. You get to keep your spells slots progression, get +2 Sorcerer spells known by picking Shield and Absorb Elements. And most notably you get Portent / Sculpt Spells / Arcane Deflection from School of Divination, Evocation and War Magic respectivly.

Edit: If UA is allowed id also look into Lore Wizard, which is crazy overpowered.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-07-02, 11:50 AM
Weird thought- single classed Fighter. Champion Fighter. No, really.

Your stats are so ridiculous that you can use the Fighter's boatload of ASI's strictly on feats. Make sure your two 18's go into Strength and Dexterity and then pump to 19, the 17 goes to Constitution, and the 16 to Wisdom. Intelligence and Charisma are up to you. Go VHuman for GWM out the gate, take the defense fighting style. Get, in order, PAM, Sentinel, Tough, Sharpshooter (archery fighting style at 10), Resilient: Wisdom, split ASI to cap Strength and Dexterity, split ASI to raise Constitution and Wisdom to 18.

You're an uncrackable shell of burning hate and area denial, capable of switching between melee and ranged and being equally deadly at either. Magic can shut up and go home because your weakest normal save is a +5 in Dex (+10 in Con and Wis), so you should be able to survive just about anything between your ridiculous HP total, high AC, and Indomitable rerolls for the dangerous stuff.

Pick your background with the adventuring and/or social pillars in mind, ignoring combat utility (even athletics can be avoided, since champions get half proficiency in it anyway). Your high ability scores will let you shine in any field you want. This should keep you from feeling boring or useless in the non-murder-related parts of the game.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-07-02, 11:51 AM
Weird stuff like Goliath Monk (making STR your lowest stat, because what the hell), Half-Orc Wizard, or Tiefling Barbarian. It's an opportunity to be non-synergistic all the way, so make whatever is the weirdest race/class combo you can think of.

nickl_2000
2019-07-02, 11:53 AM
Weird stuff like Goliath Monk (making STR your lowest stat, because what the hell), Half-Orc Wizard, or Tiefling Barbarian. It's an opportunity to be non-synergistic all the way, so make whatever is the weirdest race/class combo you can think of.

Naked Halfling Barbarian

Dork_Forge
2019-07-02, 02:35 PM
I have not chosen a race. Those are my rolled stats only. I dont have too much of a preference about what I play, but we are going to be a 3 person party, so I dont want to overlap too much with the Celestial Warlock. I'm not sure how I feel about multiclassing casters though, I'm not a fan of being behind spell levels.

You could go with a single classed Bladesinger and be very effective in combat with maxed out dex from level 1, a 19 in Int for your casting/bladesong AC boost. On top of all that you have a 17 Con that Resilient would push to a +4, you'd rarely if ever lose concentration and have the hp to rival the more martial classes to mix it up in melee.

Another way you could go is a non hexblade pact of the Blade mixed with Swashbuckler (+4s in Dex and Con, take inspiring leader with your free ASIs), you hit very hard between sneak, eldritch smite and improved pact weapon and have the mobility and versatility to back it up.

Genoin
2019-07-02, 02:36 PM
The ideas that I have heard that I am particularly interested in looking into further are:

Bladesinger (Worth noting with this that DM says if I take this I can be any race)
Barbarian
Monk

More notes, the campaign is starting at level 3, no idea how high it could go, could potentially go to 20.

Edit: If I do stick with Elf for Bladesinger though, is High or Eladrin generally considered to be better?

Tallytrev813
2019-07-02, 03:32 PM
With those rolls, I'm def taking Variant Human for the feat. I'd probably roll a Vengeance Paladin, those rolls give you 18 on Str/Con/Cha right off the bat. Pick up PAM out of the gate, at lvl 4 I'd look at Warcaster, and i'd probably try to roll that Dive bomb paladin from the Eclectic Builds thread Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds) With those stat rolls, you dont even need the +Str item (Gauntlets or belt).

Rukelnikov
2019-07-02, 04:19 PM
Edit: If I do stick with Elf for Bladesinger though, is High or Eladrin generally considered to be better?

If you are talking about DMG Eladrin, then you are comparin a 1/sr Misty Step vs 1 Wizard cantrip of your choice. I'd take the cantrip for the versatility, 1 Misty Step/sr can surely help with slots, but its not very special IMO. OTOH, Mordenkainen's Eladrin ability "Fey Step" I do rate much higher cause even when it's the same effect as Misty Step, its not a spell, thus you can use that and cast a spell in the same round, which you can't do with good ol' MS.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-02, 04:46 PM
The ideas that I have heard that I am particularly interested in looking into further are:

Bladesinger (Worth noting with this that DM says if I take this I can be any race)
Barbarian
Monk

Kobold Barbarian??? Because I can totally pitch it to you in a DM if you want some more explanation on the build. I've got a feeling you'd be everyone's favorite character! Or are you thinking about a Barb/Monk Multi?

Nagog
2019-07-02, 05:03 PM
Wood Elf - Bladesinger 2/Monk X

By lvl 3 you get AC 24 when bladesong is up, can bring it up to 29 using shield... this is at lvl 3...

You can switch it up and go Monk 1/BladesingerX, or some other combination, note that Shadow Blade can be used with Monk's martial arts since its a simple weapon without the two handed or heavy properties.

This would be a wonderful way to build a front line full caster, particularly for Wizards, which are 99% of the time far too flimsy to survive front line even with Bladesong. Also this combo would allow you to use melee range spells such as Vampiric Touch and still use a bonus action to use Flurry of Blows, which would make for an excellent self healing/damaging combo

Kobold Barbarian??? Because I can totally pitch it to you in a DM if you want some more explanation on the build. I've got a feeling you'd be everyone's favorite character! Or are you thinking about a Barb/Monk Multi?

Barb/Monk wouldn't stack the Unarmored Defense, as multiclassing rules dictate only one of the two can be in effect at any given time. Bladesong gets away with it because it isn't listed as an Unarmed Defense class feature, so by technicality it gets an override

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-02, 10:29 PM
...Barb/Monk wouldn't stack the Unarmored Defense, as multiclassing rules dictate only one of the two can be in effect at any given time. Bladesong gets away with it because it isn't listed as an Unarmed Defense class feature, so by technicality it gets an override

Didn't say that it did stack...I was just curious if the OP was narrowing it down to those 3 options to multiclass with or if he's leaning more towards doing a single class now based on suggestions. He could still have a 19-21 AC at level one no matter which one he chooses, so even though they don't stack you could still entertain a Monk/Barb multi to explore the other ways the two might work well together, especially as a dex Barb.

Particle_Man
2019-07-03, 10:03 AM
Hmmm a non variant human fighter can end up with 20s in five stats, I think.

I suppose you could do a suboptimal choice like berserker barbarian and actually have the charisma to use your fear ability.

Wildarm
2019-07-03, 02:39 PM

Barbarian
Monk

More notes, the campaign is starting at level 3, no idea how high it could go, could potentially go to 20.

If you can take a non-elf bladesinger, perhaps look at something like a warforged envoy bladesinger.

14 Str, 19 Con, 19 Dex, 18 Int 16 Wis, 12 Cha
Can max Int/Dex/Con by level 8 then grab warcaster

Your AC will be stellar - 11+Dex+Prof+Int = 21 to 27 eventually + Shield Spell
Tool expertise + High Int and Dex allows you to act as a Rogue for traps/stealth
Very high HP for a wizard allowing you to tank the occasional crit
Solid saves against pretty much anything serious

MagneticKitty
2019-07-03, 05:17 PM
Tempest cleric 2, draconic sorcerer x (blue)
Max damage empowered chain lightning powers activate!