PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Divine Intervention; Life Extension

SteelArcana
2019-07-01, 08:59 PM
If a level 20 cleric asks their deity for an extended lifespan, would you consider this an appropriate use of divine intervention?

Considering other classes get this as a class feature well before level 20 and there is zero mechanical benefits, I would say it's appropriate.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-01, 09:04 PM
Depends on the deity and the reasoning.

No brains
2019-07-01, 09:12 PM
If there's a cleric spell that could extend someone's life, it's totally permissible.

Subjecting someone to Reincarnate seems like a plausible way to achieve this. The deity can even mess with the cleric's race if appropriate.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-01, 09:31 PM
I don't see why not, Clone exists and it's not a stretch for a deity to be able to create a new body. True Resurrection can already create a new body, the age of the body created isn't specified to be the age they were when they died either.

Of course, like JackPhoenix said, some deities may not grant such a request without good reason. I imagine some gods (or godlike beings) who rule over death and the afterlife might take issue with the idea.

Tawmis
2019-07-01, 10:33 PM
If a level 20 cleric asks their deity for an extended lifespan, would you consider this an appropriate use of divine intervention?
Considering other classes get this as a class feature well before level 20 and there is zero mechanical benefits, I would say it's appropriate.

Others have already answered; but figured I'd weigh in too!
(I need to lose some weight, so this is perfect!) :D

The way I see it - as others mentioned things like Resurrection already exist - so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility (well, it's also D&D... is anything out of the realm of possibility?)
Others said this too - but I feel like the god or goddess - would have a heavy influence on this too.
A goddess of life, would probably certainly be behind it (unless it's all about balance).
A goddess of death, maybe not so much - since death is their realm.
A goddess of war, probably may not be so inclined (as they may believe dying in battle is the way to go).
A goddess of trickery, might happily grant it - but not as the Cleric may have expected.

The important thing is - if you're the DM - discuss it with your player. Look at the god/goddess they worship. Have an open conversation as to what might be fair and enjoyable for all parties involved.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-02, 03:18 PM

The way I see it - as others mentioned things like Resurrection already exist - so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility (well, it's also D&D... is anything out of the realm of possibility?)
Others said this too - but I feel like the god or goddess - would have a heavy influence on this too.
A goddess of life, would probably certainly be behind it (unless it's all about balance).
A goddess of war, probably may not be so inclined (as they may believe dying in battle is the way to go).
A goddess of trickery, might happily grant it - but not as the Cleric may have expected.

The important thing is - if you're the DM - discuss it with your player. Look at the god/goddess they worship. Have an open conversation as to what might be fair and enjoyable for all parties involved.

I mean, at that point, are you even a "worshipper" anymore? I'd consider you a valued right-hand man. A partner. A loyal servant worthy of respect and responsibility. Gods understand that they wouldn't be able to control their domain without immortality. Do you think Kelemvor would have gotten anywhere if he stayed mortal?

I mean, it's pretty straightforward, if you ask me, for any of the gods. You're a friggin' level 20 Cleric. You're not greedy. You're not normal. You're barely mortal. Immortality as a gift from your deity is nothing more than a sign of respect, stating that the life you live is in their hands. Would the Cleric have been better off finding immortality some other way? Would a DM strip the Cleric of all 20 of their levels for their arrogance?

Deities are selfish and powerless creatures in 5e. They'll want to fight for every scrap of power they can get their hands on. If a Cleric wants immortality, with the understanding that they're kept alive by the grace of your deity, I think most gods would be totally cool with that. Snap of a finger, and your pet Cleric dies. Seems legit.

SteelArcana
2019-07-02, 08:31 PM
I mean, at that point, are you even a "worshipper" anymore? I'd consider you a valued right-hand man. A partner. A loyal servant worthy of respect and responsibility. Gods understand that they wouldn't be able to control their domain without immortality. Do you think Kelemvor would have gotten anywhere if he stayed mortal?

I mean, it's pretty straightforward, if you ask me, for any of the gods. You're a friggin' level 20 Cleric. You're not greedy. You're not normal. You're barely mortal. Immortality as a gift from your deity is nothing more than a sign of respect, stating that the life you live is in their hands. Would the Cleric have been better off finding immortality some other way? Would a DM strip the Cleric of all 20 of their levels for their arrogance?

Deities are selfish and powerless creatures in 5e. They'll want to fight for every scrap of power they can get their hands on. If a Cleric wants immortality, with the understanding that they're kept alive by the grace of your deity, I think most gods would be totally cool with that. Snap of a finger, and your pet Cleric dies. Seems legit.

I tend to agree with this. Clerics are literally living symbols of their deity. You'd think if a cleric managed to survive until level 20, a deity would probably want to keep them around for a little while. I could especially see this being the case with knowledge or arcana domain deities. Not to mention the fact that arcana domain clerics can just spam wish and make clones of themselves.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-02, 08:51 PM

I see it the opposite way: The one most likely to grant that would be a death gods, because it's their job... and other gods messing with their portfolio by keeping someone from dying in their appointed time propably wouldn't be taken well, or include some kind of deal between them.

DrKerosene
2019-07-02, 09:36 PM
I like the idea of an Orc Battle Cleric getting Gruumsh to give them extra centuries of life, just to be able to kill elves.

I would consider giving the Cleric that Revenant Background from that Ravenloft UA, if I was DMing such a high-level game, assuming there was a mechanical need for such a request and this isn’t just a character retirement reward.