PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.x - Epic - Help Designing Epic Spell

unseenmage
2019-07-01, 09:20 PM
I have an idea for an epic spell/some epic spells that the GM just okayed.

I have the resources to mitigate it down to Spellcraft: Yes but I would like to know what the spell/spells would look like if printed in a real official type book first.

The idea is either a Template Creature spell that does exactly what it says and just lets you open your books and apply a template to an appropriate creature, allowing the application of templates regardless of aquired or inherited so long as the creature can have the template.

OR

An epic spell for that Kaiju template from Dragon magazine (source?), another for the Gargantean template, another for the Miniature template, and another for the Amalgam template. Those four being the templates that sparked the idea. The last three are from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary.

It's been a very long time since I dealt with epic spells at all and I am more than rusty. I sometimes think that having half remembered knowledge rattling around inside one's head is worse than learning the material anew.

MisterKaws
2019-07-01, 09:23 PM
Open up Savage Species on page 145.

unseenmage
2019-07-01, 09:51 PM
Open up Savage Species on page 145.

Excerpts from my iRL playgroup's chat on the Savage Species bit.

Me: how would the Savage Species rules for using Wish to transform into a creature translate into the epic spell rules?

It even has a Spellcraft DC iirc

Them: No correlation. The DC listed in the Wish transformation is purely a method for the DM to **** over the player while remaining in the "rules" (AKA the dice made me do it), and only determines the chance of whether or not you miss out on some of the monster's abilities. A theoretical "Wish" seed would have a base DC of 31 (10 base + 21 for the minimum number of Spellcraft ranks a sorcerer capable of casting wish would have; see the callout box on page 91 of the ELH) and would still need further refining.

Still, a possible starting point