PDA

View Full Version : The Fyter (sic) Base Class. Comments Welcome.

Haruspex
2007-10-08, 11:12 AM
Fyter

"There can be no greater calling than to fight for the kingdom."
-- Afgor, a man-at-arms in service of the king.

A fyter represents an individual shaped by life into an unrepentant fighting machine. Be they rich or poor, fast or cumbersome, sharp or dull-witted, fyters come in all shapes and sizes. A wise fyter achieves victory by choosing the field of battle and in that field crushing all opponents without mercy.

Adventures. Fyters adventure for whatever reason suits them, but a common factor is the desire to grow in strength. Whether this is the primary motivation or a side quest on the path to a greater goal depends on the individual.

Abilities. A fyter can excel in a number of combat roles, but all of them require solid physical ability scores. It is not unheard of for a fyter to have above-average mental scores though.

Races. Any race can have fyters. Cultural differences produce different types of fyter, but each one lives to fight.

Alignment. Fyters can be of any alignment. Violence can be wielded by the righteous as well as the wicked. It can be planned or spurious.

Starting Gold: 5d4x10 (25 gp).

Starting Age: As barbarian.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The following skills are class skills for fyters. Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: Fyter

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Fyter skills, Fyter background
2nd +2 +3 +0 +0 Fyter bonus feat
3rd +3 +3 +1 +1 Measured Strike
4th +4 +4 +1 +1 Fyter bonus feat
5th +5 +4 +1 +1 Mettle
6th +6 +5 +2 +2 Fyter bonus feat
7th +7 +5 +2 +2 Armor Mastery/Sixth Sense
8th +8 +6 +2 +2 Fyter bonus feat
9th +9 +6 +3 +3 Advanced Training
10th +10 +7 +3 +3 Fyter bonus feat
11th +11 +7 +3 +3 Uncanny dodge
12th +12 +8 +4 +4 Fyter bonus feat
13th +13 +8 +4 +4 Improved Armor Mastery/Improved Sixth Sense
14th +14 +9 +4 +4 Fyter bonus feat
15th +15 +9 +5 +5 Fyter Special Ability
16th +16 +10 +5 +5 Fyter bonus feat
17th +17 +10 +5 +5 Superior Training
18th +18 +11 +6 +6 Fyter bonus feat
19th +19 +11 +6 +6
20th +20 +12 +6 +6 Fyter bonus feat

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the fyter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Fyters are not proficient with any weapons or armor.

Fyter skills (Ex): At 1st level, the fyter can take eight choices from the following list. An arrow denotes a prerequisite.
Light armor proficiency -> Medium armor proficiency -> Heavy armor proficiency.
Shield Proficiency -> Tower Shield Proficiency.
Simple weapon proficiency -> Martial weapon proficiency (all) -> Exotic weapon proficiency.
Or the fyter can choose any one skill to become a class skill. A character who was previously a member of another class can only take one choice.

Fyter bonus feat (Ex): As per the fighter class, starting at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter.

Measured Strike (Ex): If a level 3 fyter studies his or her opponent for 3 rounds and then makes an attack with a melee or ranged weapon within one range increment, the attack gains a +3 bonus. If the attack successfully deals damage, then it has the additional effect of either dealing 1 Con damage per 3 fyter levels or +2 damage per fyter level (fyter’s choice) unless the target makes a successful Fortitude save (DC = 10 + 1/2 fyter level + Int modifier). This damage is multiplied on a critical hit. While studying the victim, the fyter may not make any attacks and his or her attention must stay focused on the target. Once the study is finished, the fyter must make the measured strike within 3 rounds or the benefit is lost.

Armor Mastery/Sixth Sense (Ex): At 7th level the fyter's defenses improve. He either ignores speed reductions for medium armor, or gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC if lightly armored or unarmored. Those who choose armor mastery ignore the speed reduction of heavy armor at 13th level. Those that choose sixth sense gain evasion in light armor or no armor.

At 15th level, the fyter chooses one special ability from the list below.

Barrage: The fyter gains the ability to target a square (or cube, if appropriate) that occupies the same amount of space as the fyter with a ferocious ranged attack as a full-round action. The barrage zone cmust be within the fyter's perception and within one range increment. The fyter makes a ranged touch attack against the zone (AC 10). Anyone in the area must make a Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 fyter level + 1 per every 10 that the attack roll beat the AC) or take the base weapon damage per fyter level (ie a level 16 fyter barraging with a longbow deals 16d8 damage).

If the weapon has an energy damage enhancement, the barrage deals fyter level energy damage of that type (if the above longbow was flaming, it would deal 16d8 damage plus 16 fire damage). Damage bonuses from feats or Str modifier do not apply. A successful save results in no damage. If a creature takes up more space than the barrage zone, it takes half damage on a successful save. If it takes up less space than the barrage zone, a failed save results in half damage.

For ranged weapons, enough ammo to fire fyter level shots must be expended. For thrown weapons, that many weapons must be thrown. Failure to hit the square results in the ammo or thrown weapons landing in a random square within 5 feet of the target zone. Weapons that cannot be fired multiple times in a full attack cannot be used with this ability. Damage reduction applies as normal. Once the attack is concluded, the fyter takes nonlethal damage equal to twice his fyter level. Fyters immune to nonlethal damage for whatever reason take their fyter level in lethal damage, ignoring any feats or abilities that reduce damage.

Ultimate Defense: The fyter doubles the bonuses from fighting defensively and total defense. In addition, the fyter may use an additional maneuver, ultimate defense which is usable as a full-round action. This gives the fyter superb awareness of her immediate surroundings, granting blindsight up to 5 feet, +10 dodge bonus to AC, increases shield and armor bonuses by +1 each, immunity to critical hits, and the ability to use her Fortitude save in lieu of Reflex or Will. The fyter cannot make attacks of opportunity while using ultimate defense, but may take 5-foot steps.

Commander: The commander gains the ability to use a number of commands. In order to benefit from these commands, you and your allies must practice for at least one hour per command every month. Bonuses from different commanders do not stack, use the highest one applicable.

Dogpile - The commander can coordinate his allies so they become more effective when ganging up on a target. This commander can be used as a standard action or as part of the action when making an attack or grapple check. Until the beginning of the commander's next turn, double any bonuses he and his allies gain from flanking. The persons involved in the flanking must be allies to gain this benefit. If he and/or his allies are grappling the same target, each one gets a bonus on their grapple check equal to the number of other allies involved in the grapple.

Don't Die On Me - The commander may keep an ally alive through encouragement alone, such is his skill. If an ally is reduced to -10 hp or less within 30 feet of the commander, the commander can delay death by using an immediate action. After that, the commander must spend a standard action every turn to keep the ally alive. The ally must remain within 30 feet of the commander and be able to hear or see the commander for this ability to work. Death can be delayed for only fyter level rounds, and this duration is reduced by one round for each additional damaging attack the ally suffers. Hit point loss can exceed -10, so the commander must try to prevent enemies from hacking up the helpless body of his comrade or else death will come regardless.

Forwards - The commander can invoke bloodlust in his comrades. By spending a standard action to emit a rousing cry, the commander causes all allies (including himself) who can hear him and charge before his next turn to double their Strength bonus to damage when attacking after a charge. If the commander charges, he can use this command as a part of the charge action.

Marching Song - The commander makes those long walks more bearable. When making a forced march, the commander can make a Diplomacy check in place of the Constitution check for himself and his allies. This command need not be practiced.

Surge: The fyter knows how to push her body that much further, either through practice or a thorough understanding of her own physiology. As a free action the fyter may invoke a rush of energy. During the surge, the fighter gains pounce as an extraordinary ability. This lasts for fyter level rounds. This duration can be extended by defeating enemies, granting one extra round per enemy defeated (rendered dying, destroyed or otherwise out of the fight). As a free action the fyter may expend a number of rounds to gain additional abilities.

1 round - Gain a +5 bonus to base speed as long as the surge lasts, up to twice your base speed.
1 round - Gain a +1 bonus to your next grapple check, up to your base attack bonus.
1 round - Stand up as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity.
5 rounds - Choose one condition that affects you. It is negated immediately.
5 rounds - Your next Jump action counts vertical distance as though it was horizontal. Horizontal jumps are unaffected.
10 rounds - Automatically pass any one saving throw. This may be used as an immediate action.
At the end of the surge, all bonuses are lost and the fyter is exhausted. Fyters immune to exhaustion take fyter level damage instead, ignoring abilities or feats that reduce damage.

Fyter background (Ex): At 1st level, the fyter chooses a background to represent how the fyter developed his or her skills early in life. A character who was previously a member of another class can only take the generic background.

Generic - A generic warrior, a result and cause of violence. Toughness as a bonus feat.
Soldier - A seasoned campaigner of many years. +50% (round down) minimum age. +4 Str for carrying capacity purposes. Endurance as a bonus feat. +1 morale bonus per 4 fyter levels (minimum 1) to attack and damage when ally within 30 feet. Maximum bonus equals number of allies within 30 feet.
Archer - Trained to rain death from a distance. Minimum Dexterity 13. Double range increments when using ranged or thrown weapons. +1 bonus to Spot for every 2 fyter levels (minimum 1). Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.
Vagabond - Keep your distance. Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Trip, grapple, disarm, bull rush, and overrun attempts gain a bonus equal to 1/2 your fyter level (minimum 1). This applies to any initial touch attacks as well as opposed rolls. If these maneuvers deal damage, the bonus applies to damage as well.
Duelist - In it for the duel. +1 insight bonus to attack and AC per 3 fyter levels (minimum 1) against one opponent. Must be same target as Dodge feat, if fyter is using it. Weapon Finesse or Quick Draw as a bonus feat. +1 bonus to Sense Motive for every two fyter levels (minimum 1).
Cultured - War is not for peasants. +1 bonus to Knowledge (nobility and royalty) and Diplomacy per 2 fyter levels (minimum 1). Weapon Focus as a bonus feat.

Advanced Training (Ex): At 9th level, the fyter develops new skills.

Generic - Toughness x4 as bonus feats.
Soldier - Defensive Formation. If each of your allies (including yourself) is within 5 feet of another ally, all of you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to AC and saving throws. Opponents may not make attacks of opportunity against any member of the formation as long as the formation is intact.
Archer - Ranged Aid Another. Make a ranged touch attack against an opponent within 1 range increment. If successful, an ally within reach of the target gains either a +2 bonus to his or her next attack against the target, or a +2 bonus to AC against the next attack from that opponent. The attack must come before the start of your next turn.
Vagabond - Where It Hurts. If you score a successful critical hit with a melee attack that deals damage, the target must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + 1/2 fyter level + Str mod) or be nauseated for one round.
Duelist - One On One. You may gain a +3 bonus to AC, attack, or saves against the target of your 1st level duelist ability. Your AC and attacks against all other opponents suffer a -2 penalty.
Cultured - Ideal Warrior. When conscious, not helpless, and openly wearing an identifying motif such as a crest or a flag, you gain a +3 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate and may attempt to demoralize an opponent as a free action.

Superior Training (Ex): At 17th level, the fyter becomes even more skilled.

Generic - Toughness x16 as bonus feats.
Soldier - Offensive Formation. If each of your allies (including yourself) is within 5 feet of another ally, all of you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to attack rolls and save DC of special attacks. When the aid another action is used to grant a bonus on attacks, that attack gains an equal bonus to damage.
Archer - Mortal Wound. If a ranged attack within one range increment rolls a natural 20, hits the target, and deals damage, the target must make a Fortitude save equal to (1/2 fyter level + damage dealt) or be reduced to -1 hit points unless the hit point total was lower than this. Creatures immune to critical hits are immune to this effect.
Vagabond - Fury. Whenever you score a critical hit in melee, you gain an extra attack against the same opponent at your highest attack bonus.
Duelist - Opportunity. When the target of your 1st level and advanced duelist ability makes a melee attack against you and misses, you get a free melee attack at your highest attack bonus against that opponent. The opponent loses Dex bonus to AC against this special attack. This does not count as an attack for the purpose of measured strike.
Cultured - Noble. Intelligent opponents with an ECL lower than yours suffer a -2 penalty on all attacks and saves when they are within 60 feet of you and can perceive you. This is a mind-affecting ability. Double the damage you deal when attacking after a charge.

Skelengar
2007-10-08, 04:40 PM
seems quite powerfull, especially the special abilities,

jjpickar
2007-10-08, 05:03 PM
Fyter

A fyter represents an individual shaped by life into an unrepentant fighting machine.

Isn't that an unrepentant "fyting" machine?

Haruspex
2007-10-08, 08:44 PM
seems quite powerfull, especially the special abilities,

Which ones in particular?

jjpickar: That would have pushed this thread into more of a joke than I intended. The spelling was chosen to differentiate it from the fighter without making the name too long, and in such a way that you would know what it was just by looking.

jjpickar
2007-10-08, 11:03 PM
Sorry, I knew what you were trying to do but I couldn't resist making light of the grammatical ramifications.:smallwink:

As for the class itself...Barrage seems a bit unrealistic (I know this is D&(what physics)D but it just strikes me as a bit much).

On the other hand, I do like Dogpile which makes a lot of sense to me.

Don't know about balance but I'd let someone use him in my games.

Haruspex
2007-10-09, 01:01 AM
Cleared up some stuff.

Yeah, barrage was always the most doubtful ability, but I wanted to give some ranged attack special ability not tied to the backgrounds.

Haruspex
2007-10-09, 05:33 AM
The Nature Of Power

Now to explain a few of my alterations to the iconic class. I defined fyter as an individual whose primary focus is the application of violence. Physical violence to be more specific, the sort of muscle-powered destruction that other classes are capable of, but one the fighter should have been able to dominate.

Did feat selection put Fighter 3.5 on par with other classes? Perhaps, given the right choices, but this in fact meant that you had to make an optimum selection, and therefore had no choice at all. A wizard can choose Skill Focus (Craft: Shiv) once and still be a badass wizard. Fighters can't afford to make any frivolous choices. The rest of the Full BAB Gang have class features that function independantly of feat selection.

Backgrounds: Fighter 3.5 benefits from a flexible build, due to the wealth of feats accessible. This selection increases further when you factor in non-Core materials. Compare Fighter 3.5 to his full BAB kin in Core, the Ranger, Paladin, and Barbarian. The barbarian beats the fighter in speed, skill points, and hit dice. Rangers and paladins become prepared spellcasters at level 4, and though their spell selection is not comparable to a full caster, they provide an advantage.

The idea that Fighter 3.5 could come from any background, that the class was capable of fulfilling many of the accepted warrior archetypes, was something I found hard to believe. While you could take EWP: Katana and call yourself a samurai, there were times when class design actually limited these options.

So I came up with backgrounds. Similar to the concept found in D20 Modern, these selections add a little extra to the character without (hopefully) breaking the game. The idea was that there were only so many things you could do with a fighter anyway. But compared to other classes, the fighter was meant (I believe) to have a greater variety of effective builds. Other classes were well defined by their abilities and limitations. Giving the fyter a choice of definitions, while still keeping the class combat-oriented was my goal.

The "blank slate" was indeed blank, but you only got had one color of paint to put on it. So I replaced the blank slate with a set of choices that enabled one to represent certain specializations. Now you can choose a backdrop, as well as paint. Prepared spellcasters are like dioramas, and their spells are the scenery bits which you can rearrange every so often.

Special Abilities: This was an attempt to add a "capstone" to the class, but one with multiple choices as well. Barrage gave me headaches to figure out, so suggestions are welcome for an alternate ranged ability.

Fyter Skills: I got this idea from a poster on the wizards boards. Instead of having every fyter be proficient in shields, they can choose. Does a certain proficiency mean something to your character? If so, take it and cherish it well. Unarmed bashers now can gain a number of skills to enhance their fighting style.

Mettle: This one I had to think about. I put it in later than when the hexblade gets it, I'm not sure when other classes (if any) get it.

Uncanny Dodge: Warblade and barbarian get it. So the fighter should too. It fits the genre anyhow. The heroic warrior is never caught unawares.

Measured Strike: I ripped off the assassin's death attack for this one, but tweaked it a little. Now you can snipe a target or size him up to land a telling blow.

Armor Mastery/Sixth Sense: Stealing from the knight and a bit more from the monk perhaps. This was to enable the fyter to defend himself better. There was no reason why a knight should get this instead of the fighter. I added Sixth Sense for those who wanted to play lightly armored or unarmored dudes.