PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How would you build this dwarf crossbow guy?

ShirAhn
2019-07-02, 12:31 AM
I'm trying to build this dwarf into a 5e setting, Im thinking fighter with crossbow expert feat?

Rules:

I would like to try and get the most optimised character (most DPR (damage per round)) as possible
It HAS to a dwarf
No multiclassing
Level 8

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/46/7a/91467a4868c7bf89ed88cd7f66f66a5d.jpg

Dork_Forge
2019-07-02, 02:41 AM
I'd go Hill Dwarf as Str is next to useless to you, stats using point buy:
10 15 16 10 14 10

This leaves you with no weak stats, a high Con that combined with Dwarven Toughness would give you a fat stack of hp. Straight Fighter, pumping dex to 17 and picking up Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert, with the next priority maxing out Dex asap. Take the Archery Fighting Style and then subclass wise either the Battlemaster (versatility, at will DPR boost or accuracy boost) or Samurai (at will advantage 3x a day and scaling temp hp all for a Bonus Action). As this build would already have a lot of actual hp I'd personally go Battlemaster.

LudicSavant
2019-07-02, 02:54 AM
If Eberron is available, the Warding Dwarf gets +1 Dex / +1 Int / +2 Con. Great stats for an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster archer.

Kane0
2019-07-02, 04:55 AM
Yep, hill dwarf fighter is good. Archery fighting style at level 1.
Champion, Battlemaster, Arcane Archer, Samurai are all good choices depending on what tickles your fancy.
Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter feats leaves you with one extra ASI for a third like lucky, resilient, observant, etc or just more DEX.

Archery fighting style and those two feats are all the optimisation you really need, everything else is gravy.

Zetakya
2019-07-02, 04:59 AM
Grudge Bearer synergizes well with Samurai if that's allowed.

Damon_Tor
2019-07-02, 02:05 PM
If Eberron is available, the Warding Dwarf gets +1 Dex / +1 Int / +2 Con. Great stats for an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster archer.

Or Artificer. Artificers are extremely good crossbow guys.

suplee215
2019-07-02, 10:41 PM
if you're using a heavy crossbow like it looks like fighter for sure (although this only comes into play at later levels with insane amount of attacks). Optimized wise a hand crossbow with crossbow expert is the superior option due to getting a bonus action attack unless you got plans to use your bonus action. Fighter is probably the best bet. You can also use heavy armor without strength investment as a dwarf. Ranger is also not bad depending on how far you plan on going.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-03, 01:50 AM
if you're using a heavy crossbow like it looks like fighter for sure (although this only comes into play at later levels with insane amount of attacks). Optimized wise a hand crossbow with crossbow expert is the superior option due to getting a bonus action attack unless you got plans to use your bonus action. Fighter is probably the best bet. You can also use heavy armor without strength investment as a dwarf. Ranger is also not bad depending on how far you plan on going.

What do you mean by the Heavy Armor comment? No race gets exemption from armor requirements.

Damon_Tor
2019-07-03, 01:56 AM
What do you mean by the Heavy Armor comment? No race gets exemption from armor requirements.

Dwarves aren't slowed by wearing armor. Being slowed is the penalty for not having enough strength for the armor you're wearing. Thus, dwarves are exempt from the strength requirement of heavy armor.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-03, 02:24 AM
Dwarves aren't slowed by wearing armor. Being slowed is the penalty for not having enough strength for the armor you're wearing. Thus, dwarves are exempt from the strength requirement of heavy armor.

Ah apologies! I was horrendously wrong there, found it under their speed entry, my bad!