PDA

View Full Version : Tortle with awesome stats, what would you play?

Belthien
2019-07-02, 05:30 AM
Thought Experiment:

You have rolled: 17, 16, 16, 15, 14, 12

You are playing a Tortle (+2 str, +1 wis, cant wear armour except shields, AC17)

Start at level 1, going up to at least level 10.

Multiclassing allowed, all published books on the table, DM will agree to any UA which isn't unbalanced.

What character/class would you play?

CTurbo
2019-07-02, 06:00 AM
Well my first thought was to play a Sorcerer or Wizard and that would be a lot of fun, but then it occurred to me just how great those stats would be for a Monk or Barbarian. You can't wear armor, but you can have a better than 17 AC with a class that grants unarmored defense as far as I know. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will be along to tell me soon.

Fable Wright
2019-07-02, 06:18 AM
Druid.

19 AC with shield, 18 Wis, and I can turtle up for 23 AC and advantage on Concentration saves.

And I can grow a little terrarium on my back.

Maelynn
2019-07-02, 06:20 AM
you can have a better than 17 AC with a class that grants unarmored defense as far as I know.

Nope sorry, it doesn't stack. The only thing you can use to increase the AC 17 is to use a shield.

I think this would be nice stats for a Paladin. They benefit well from high STR, CHA, and CON, and they don't need a high DEX to still have great armour. You could don a shield and go Protection for the utility, Defence for a nice total of AC 20, or Duelling for extra weapon damage.

nickl_2000
2019-07-02, 06:47 AM
A grappler strength Bard/Barbarian. Expertise in Athletics, extra from raging, grapple someone then dive underwater. Tavern Brawler Feat at with the first ASI to be able to grapple as a bonus action after attacking with your unarmed attack.

My build?
Barbarian 1 - Rage and constitution saves
Valor Bard 1-9 - Focus on spells that are long term without concentration or out of combat. Bardic Inspiration can boost your grapple score. Expertise in Athletics too.

Zhorn
2019-07-02, 07:16 AM
Nope sorry, it doesn't stack. The only thing you can use to increase the AC 17 is to use a shield.

I think they meant there's a way to get above that static 17 armor using unarmored defense, not that the tortle's armor stacked with such a benefit.

putting a 16 in DEX and the 17 in WIS (+1 to 18) nets a monk unarmored defense of 17, then ASI's in either DEX or WIS and it'll get higher than the natural armor's 17.
It is a waste of a race feature though.
I'd vote for something that usually doesn't have such a chunky AC (caster), or a route where you needn't worry about pumping that armor up.
The +2 on a 17 STR would make for a tempting barbarian. Don't worry about pumping up DEX, let the shell do the work and only concern yourself with STR and CON

Huwman
2019-07-02, 07:32 AM
Dude come on you have to play a teenage mutant ninja totrle! Mutliclass monk to get the flavour you want and kawabunga your hero in a half shell....

jaappleton
2019-07-02, 08:03 AM
Would you describe it as Tortlelly awesome?

Wildarm
2019-07-02, 09:54 AM
Thought Experiment:

You have rolled: 17, 16, 16, 15, 14, 12

You are playing a Tortle (+2 str, +1 wis, cant wear armour except shields, AC17)

Start at level 1, going up to at least level 10.

Multiclassing allowed, all published books on the table, DM will agree to any UA which isn't unbalanced.

What character/class would you play?

Melee based, Tortle Battle Smith Artificer would be pretty fun.
18 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 16 Int, 18 Wis, 12 Cha

You'd have a default AC of 20(+1 Shield Infusion) which is decent enough especially with your iron guardian providing disadvantage on attacks against you. Good STR and CON so you can easily wade into melee(With a +1 Weapon Infusion). Flexible as you have no strong need to pump INT for a Battle Smith so feel free to bump INT with your ASIs or take feats.

xroads
2019-07-02, 01:36 PM
Wizard. Mostly to tease a friend of mine who insists that because of their fluff, tortles can only be druids or barbarians. :smallbiggrin:

Besides, the high unarmored AC would be a pretty good boon for wizards.

Druid.

19 AC with shield, 18 Wis, and I can turtle up for 23 AC and advantage on Concentration saves.

And I can grow a little terrarium on my back.

Sweet. The terrarium is a nice touch.

Xeko
2019-07-02, 01:58 PM
The tortle's natural armor means anything that gets proficiency in armors feel like a waste. One of the MAJOR boons of Paladin, for example, is heavy armor proficiency, after all. They get that, in place of other skills that other classes might get. So right off the bat, I'd nix all the heavy armor classes, for the sake of maximizing my benefits... otherwise, you're doubling up. That's like taking religion as a skill proficiency from your class, and then taking the acolyte background on top of it. It's just inefficient. So, any spellcasting class springs to mind... But I'd probably go Ranger or Rogue, myself. Their animal-like bodies make them fit right in in the wilderness, and their ability to withdraw into their shells makes me imagine a tortle disguising itself as a boulder or something, to eavesdrop on enemy conversations undetected. So a forest stealthy dude makes sense thematically.

GlenSmash!
2019-07-03, 12:34 PM
Strength Monk.

Sorlock Master
2019-07-03, 03:32 PM
Donatello-EK/Monk that uses a bow staff and reskin spells into different gadgets that have intended effects.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-03, 03:42 PM
Dude come on you have to play a teenage mutant ninja totrle! Mutliclass monk to get the flavour you want and kawabunga your hero in a half shell....

I was beginning to think this answer wasn't going to be here already as I started reading...You've restored my faith in humanity. This is the correct answer. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

MagneticKitty
2019-07-03, 04:14 PM
Probably something that would ordinarily be MAD. paladin 2, moon druid x? Smiting animals.