Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Reflex half or Will negates; see text
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: Egoist 5

You alter your physical form to emulate a mighty dragon. Upon manifesting this power, you gain a +3 enhancement bonus to natural armor.

Augment: This power can be augmented in any of the following ways:
You can augment this power to gain a breath weapon. By spending two additional power points on this power, you gain a breath weapon that deals 1d6 points of fire damage to all targets in a 15' cone. This breath weapon is usable once every 1d4 rounds, and a Reflex save halves its damage.
You can also augment this power to radiate an aura of fear. By spending four additional power points, you emanate a twenty-foot radius of terror. Foes in this area must succeed on a Will save at the start of their turns or become frightened. Those that succeed on their Will saves against this ability cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

For any two power points spent to augment this power, your enhancement bonus to your natural armor improves by +1 for each two additional power points spent to augment this power.

If you augmented this power to receive the breath weapon ability, its fire damage increases by +1d6 for each two additional power points spent to augment this power.

If you augmented this power to receive the aura of terror ability, its DC increases by 1 for each three additional power points spent to augment this power.

Thoughts of Phoenix
Psychometabolism (See Text)
Level: Egoist 3
Display: Auditory
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: Egoist 5

You alter your physical form to emulate the mighty phoenix. Upon manifesting this power, you gain Fire Resist 10.

Augment:This power can be augmented in the following ways:
You can augment this power to radiate an expanding radius of heat. By spending to additional power points, you radiate an aura of flame, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage to any creature within 5 feet of you. This damage is inflicted at the beginning of your turn. You are unaffected by your own aura of flame. A Fortitude save negates this damage.
You can also augment this power to change your Fire Resistance to Fire Absorption. By spending five additional power points, you regain one hit point for every three points of fire damage you successfully resist. If you gain this ability, this power is of the (Healing) subdiscipline.

For any two power points spent to augment this power, the Fire Resistance granted by this power increases by two.

If you augmented this power to gain the aura of flame ability, its damage increases by +1d6 for each two power points spent to augment this power.

If you augmented this power to gain the fire absorption ability, you gain one additional hit point for each three points of fire damage resisted for each three power points spent to augment this power.

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 01:38 PM
While a very interesting looking, the implementation seems a little off. Especially the addition of disparate effects and subsequent addition of descriptors to the power as a whole; strictly speaking anyone with immunity to fear could ignore your natural armor bonus or breath weapon from Thoughts of Dragon if you use the aura of fear augment option. It's a confusing matter, at the very least.

Instead, I would describe the added effects as separate supernatural effects, and not go through all the descriptor mess problems.

Also, I have a number of questions/comments:
Is the breath weapon a line or cone? And how big?
Most frightful presence type abilities give you 24 hours of immunity if you succeed on a save.
The aura of flame deals its damage each round, I'm guessing? I find it somewhat odd that a continuing effect allows a Reflex save, even if energy wall does the same thing :smalltongue:
Can you use aura of flame's damage to get fire absorption?

The presentation of the augment options could use a bit more organization as well, as it is now it's kind of difficult to follow. I'd suggest taking a look at psionic charm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm)'s presentation for its augment options.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-08, 05:18 PM
While a very interesting looking, the implementation seems a little off. Especially the addition of disparate effects and subsequent addition of descriptors to the power as a whole; strictly speaking anyone with immunity to fear could ignore your natural armor bonus or breath weapon from Thoughts of Dragon if you use the aura of fear augment option. It's a confusing matter, at the very least. It may be confusing, but there are spells from the Spell Compendium that act in a similar fashion. However, there is probably a better way to do this I will edit in shortly.

Is the breath weapon a line or cone? And how big? Fixed. A cone. 30' feet.

Most frightful presence type abilities give you 24 hours of immunity if you succeed on a save. Good point. Fixed.

The aura of flame deals its damage each round, I'm guessing? I find it somewhat odd that a continuing effect allows a Reflex save, even if energy wall does the same thing :smalltongue: Yeah, I think I'll alter that. Fix in a moment.

Can you use aura of flame's damage to get fire absorption? The Aura of Flame ability states that you are unaffected by your own Aura of Flame. Therefore, one cannot be healed by it.

The presentation of the augment options could use a bit more organization as well, as it is now it's kind of difficult to follow. I'd suggest taking a look at psionic charm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm)'s presentation for its augment options.

Re-orged. How does it look now?

Jasdoif
2007-10-08, 05:33 PM
The Aura of Flame ability states that you are unaffected by your own Aura of Flame. Therefore, one cannot be healed by it.This leaves me wondering a bit about the Healing subdiscipline descriptor that gets added onto it. I suppose it still makes sense, since it's actual healing and not just temporary hit points; but my mind is convinced that a healing power should definitely heal, and not just maybe heal if you get burned.

Re-orged. How does it look now?Much better, it's easier to follow now.