PDA

View Full Version : Monk only PrC - Maybe it'll make them playable!

KoDT69
2007-10-08, 12:04 PM
OK I know there's a bajillion monk fixes and whatnot, but here's my lame attempt to fix the monk with a PrC made in true DBZ style. I know that may not fit your ideas but at least have a look. Consider the other classes and how much this would hurt or help the monk player and the campaign. I'm running a low level campaign now that will test it by the medium magic standard (not as high as FR but not low magic either). I present to you:

Awakened Vindicator

Hit Dice: d8
Alignment: Any Good or Evil
Skill Points: 4 + INT Modifier
Requirements: 2nd Level Monk

Class Features
The Awakened Vindicator has the same class skills and weapon and armor proficiencies as the Monk class.

Special Benefits
Awakened Vindicator levels count as Monk levels for natural AC, speed, and unarmed strike damage.

Powered Attacks
An AV gains the ability to focus certain types of energy into each of their attacks based on alignment (positive damage for good, negative damage for evil). This energy can be channeled through bare hands or formed into a ray attack. When using this energy as a ray attack, the AV gains a number of rays equal to their number of flurry attacks with a range of 30ft per AV level. Ranged powered attacks strike at the defender’s touch AC.

Level BaB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +2 PA +1d6 Energy MAD Reduction, Slow Fall (Infinite)
2 +2 +3 +3 +3 PA +1d6 Energy Unbound Leap
3 +3 +3 +3 +3 PA +1d6 Energy Bonus Feat, Fly 1/day
4 +4 +4 +4 +4 PA +1d6 Energy Powered Beam Attack
5 +5 +4 +4 +4 PA +1d6 Energy Double Jump, Abundant Step 3/day
6 +6 +5 +5 +5 PA +2d6 Energy Bonus Feat, Guided Leap, Fly 2/day
7 +7 +5 +5 +5 PA +2d6 Energy Deflect Ray (as Deflect Arrows)
8 +8 +6 +6 +6 PA +2d6 Energy Triple Jump, Abundant Step 4/day
9 +9 +6 +6 +6 PA +2d6 Energy Bonus Feat, Overland Flight 1/day
10 +10 +7 +7 +7 PA +3d6 Energy Bounding Assault, Abundant Step 5/day

MAD Reduction
The Awakened Vindicator can substitute Wisdom for Dexterity modifiers or vice versa for all Monk class features.

Unbound Leap
Running Long Jump – The AV can jump 2ft times the skill check +1ft per AV level with a 10ft running start.
Long Jump – The AV can jump 1ft times the skill check +1ft per AV level with a 5ft step to start.
Standing Forward Jump – The AV can jump ˝ ft times the skill check +˝ ft per AV level from a standstill.
Standing Vertical Jump – The AV can jump ˝ ft times the skill check +˝ ft per AV level from a standstill.
Standing Backward Jump – The AV can jump ˝ ft times the skill check +˝ ft per AV level from a standstill.

Powered Beam Attack
The AV can focus all of his powered attack energy for that round into a single beam attack 5ft wide and 30ft long per AV level. At 10th level the total damage will be 3d6 times the number of flurry attacks. Any defender can make a reflex save vs. DC 10 + DEX modifier + AV level for half damage.

Double & Triple Jump
Double and triple the jump distance of the Unbound Leap ability.

Guided Leap
The AV is able to change direction any number of times in mid-jump to any degree without loss of momentum.

Bounding Assault
The AV can make a jump check between each attack as long as he lands each attack. Grants the Pounce ability.

Dullyanna
2007-10-08, 12:53 PM
Nitpick:You call it an awakened avenger under class features.

Anyway, I think it's a nice alternative to those people who do want something over the top and DBZ-like.

KoDT69
2007-10-08, 01:51 PM
It doesn't seem over the top compared to ANY full caster or ToB class. Seriously, a Swordsage is still much better. And yes, it is geared toward the DBZ/anime style. We'll see. In the next few sessions my monk player will have gotten to Monk 2 / AV 3 and we'll see if the game falls apart around him :smallbiggrin: