PDA

View Full Version : Breakdance fighting with a 1 level dip?

Brookshw
2019-07-03, 06:23 AM
I have a player who's interested in their character being able to "breakdance fight". Currently they're a level 3 bard. Any recommendations for what they can dip to make it happen? I'm fairly lax on waiving racial requirements and refluffing if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

nickl_2000
2019-07-03, 06:44 AM
Sounds like either a Monk unarmed strikes or Tavern Brawler. I'd be inclined to say tavern brawler feat at level 4 personally.

Laserlight
2019-07-03, 06:57 AM
Sounds like Brazilian jiu jitsu / capoeira? Open hand Monk, I would think, although Bard/Monk doesn't strike me as a really viable cross. Tavern Brawler if he doesn't want to invest too much into it.

Droodicus
2019-07-03, 07:11 AM
Could just fluff sword bard Flourishes?

Brookshw
2019-07-03, 07:13 AM
Tavern brawler or monk definitely sound like options. Would it be easier to accomplish this with specific bard colleges?

nickl_2000
2019-07-03, 07:16 AM
Tavern brawler or monk definitely sound like options. Would it be easier to accomplish this with specific bard colleges?

Valor would likely be the easiest. They are more focused on combat and make the most sense. You may be able to homebrew something or use a homebrew option though. Although the psychic damage from Whisper could be re-fluffed as talking smack and that may be fun.

clash
2019-07-03, 07:46 AM
Bards can already do this more or less. They cast spells by performing already. Just refluff the instrument into an appropriate item for break dancing.

Crucius
2019-07-03, 07:57 AM
It's probably too late already, since he is level 3, but the College of Satire would have been a cool way to fluff the breakdancing with the Tumbling Fool ability.

It's UA though, but I immediately thought of this subclass, even before I read that he was already a bard.

Brookshw
2019-07-03, 08:20 AM
It's probably too late already Nah, it's her first time playing (actually, it's the first time for everyone in the party, not that it matters). I'm being very liberal about letting people swap things out/around while they get the hang of the game.

College of Satire I'll have to look into this

NecessaryWeevil
2019-07-03, 10:28 AM
Drunken Master came to mind although I don't know its features well.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-03, 10:35 AM
Drunken Master came to mind although I don't know its features well.

This is exactly the one I was going to recommend:

Move fast, hit a lot of things, move in between enemies, redirect attacks to enemies when they miss you, stand back up from Prone with only 5ft of movement.

You could rename the subclass: "The Way of the Dancing Break", and every single one of the features would fit perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to play damage control and stick with a Bard, Swords Bard would be your best bet, focusing on specific talents in melee combat, including dealing melee splash damage, dodging, or moving enemies around.

Quietus
2019-07-03, 12:42 PM
This is exactly the one I was going to recommend:

Move fast, hit a lot of things, move in between enemies, redirect attacks to enemies when they miss you, stand back up from Prone with only 5ft of movement.

You could rename the subclass: "The Way of the Dancing Break", and every single one of the features would fit perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want to play damage control and stick with a Bard, Swords Bard would be your best bet, focusing on specific talents in melee combat, including dealing melee splash damage, dodging, or moving enemies around.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest. I was thinking about monk as a capoeira fighter last night, and I've been playing a swords bard in AL recently - every time you attack you get extra movement, and when you spend bardic inspiration to use a flourish, that's just a particularly flashy move. Carefully pick your spells and reflavor them as necessary for that "I'm a dancing fool" flavor.