PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Um, how did my Fighter learn how to do this?

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-03, 12:28 PM
I'm looking for a nice little tidbit of backstory on how my Fighter learned to cast Magic Missile. It kinda doesn't make sense that he'd be able to cast spells, and I'm trying to think of something that might fit well for a Former City Watch guard living a moderate lifestyle.

GlenSmash!
2019-07-03, 12:32 PM
I'm looking for a nice little tidbit of backstory on how my Fighter learned to cast Magic Missile. It kinda doesn't make sense that he'd be able to cast spells, and I'm trying to think of something that might fit well for a Former City Watch guard living a moderate lifestyle.

As a young member of the city watch your fighter was paired up with a veteran member of the watch.

It turns out the veteran member was actually a disgraced former professed of a prestigious wizard school. As you learned the ins and outs of being a beat cop from him, you picked up a few useful arcane tricks along the way.

Aprender
2019-07-03, 12:33 PM
What can you say? The dude loves him some Ted Talks.

LuminousWarrior
2019-07-03, 12:37 PM
Your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was a dragon. Everyone else in your family is a sorcerer, but Magic Missile is the best you've managed to do.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-03, 12:41 PM
If it doesn't make sense for your fighter to cast a spells, don't play EK?

NecessaryWeevil
2019-07-03, 12:45 PM
Might help to know how you're casting MM. Magic Initiate? Subclass? Multiclass?

In a high magic setting, maybe basic spellcasting is part of your City Watch training.

Tawmis
2019-07-03, 12:47 PM

What race is said fighter?

And why Magic Missile? Of all the spells - as a DM, I wouldn't allow this for a (straight up) Fighter.

Reason being is because Magic Missile never misses. So there you are in Armor, Great HP, and you have an attack that never misses. And increases in power as you level.

JeenLeen
2019-07-03, 12:53 PM
And why Magic Missile? Of all the spells - as a DM, I wouldn't allow this for a (straight up) Fighter.

Reason being is because Magic Missile never misses. So there you are in Armor, Great HP, and you have an attack that never misses. And increases in power as you level.

I reckon it's either 1/day or per spell slots, not at-will, so I don't think it'd be overpowering. If anything, I'd consider it redundant most of the time with a fighter's ability for ranged combat. Not as strong nor an auto-hit, but mundane archery can probably hit most foes. Having Magic Missile seems a balanced trade of damage & accuracy in lieu of a utility spell that broadens a fighter's capabilities.

Might help to know how you're casting MM. Magic Initiate? Subclass? Multiclass?

In a high magic setting, maybe basic spellcasting is part of your City Watch training.

If Magic Initiate: picked it up as part of job cross-training, independent research, or a buddy teaching you the basics.
If subclass: in addition to whatever fluff used to justify being Eldritch Knight
If multiclass: I guess same as if subclass, though could differ a bit if wizard or sorcerer.

Of course, it just being "in the blood" and coming out is a decent reason.

As you are a former Guard, maybe it was something you picked up studying with a wizard buddy after retiring?

NecessaryWeevil
2019-07-03, 12:54 PM
Magic Missile once per long rest is going to break your game?

Edit: ninjad.

Mercurias
2019-07-03, 01:06 PM

So you're saying that, if you lived in a world full of people openly practicing magic, that you wouldn't want to at least try to learn some of the simple spells?

Spell books are certainly expensive, and as a child your character might not have had the resources to have good study materials, but one day, after saving up and doing odd jobs around the village/town/neighborhood for months, your character lucked into their shot at acquiring magic.

It was just a few sheets of paper from a drunken lout of a Wizard, with the instructions done in a lazy, shaky hand, but your character studied it like it was the most important thing in the world. Your knowledge of the fundamentals of magic was near-nonexistent, but that one spell, Magic Missile, was seared into your character's brain from weeks of study and practice. Your character failed time and time again, over and over, until finally they found success nearly by accident.

Over the later months of practice and training, success became easier, and finally it became an assured thing. Your character had a spell they could cast! They could use magic!

Sadly, in the time your character had learned a single spell with their self-study and meager resources, their friends had taken on training with weapons for self-defense. In a fraction of the time, with even less effort, they could deal nearly as much damage with the swing of an axe than your character could once a day with their spell.

Your character put away their obsession for reality, and eventually magic became a hobby, the way others tinkered with wood-carving or mending damaged tack on rainy days to keep occupied. Maybe a couple of hours a week. It didn't help that learning resources for magic were still expensive, far beyond a guard's salary, and now your character had rent to pay and occasionally needed mead to help forget the events of the day.

Regardless of how life turned out in the guard, and then out of the guard when around all these strangers, nobody could take away your character's one spell. The scraps of paper had long been lost, but the words, the gestures, and that feeling will say with your character for the rest of their days.

Maelynn
2019-07-03, 01:08 PM
A while ago, you ran into one of your old City Watch brothers at the tavern. You chatted a bit over some ale, and he told you how his job had become so much easier with just a teensy bit of aid from the arcane department. After cracking a few jokes about sissy hand waves and places that fireballs can be fired from, you learn that he's serious. He actually took up a few courses to learn magic. And according to him, it gave him an edge that got the attention of the Captain. He's looking at a promotion to Lieutenant within the tenday.

Interest piqued by his story, you decide to go to the library on your next day off. Not that you plan on taking his advice seriously, but it doesn't hurt to just have a look. Before the day is over, however, you find yourself signing up for the courses that your old buddy had taken. Still not taking any of this seriously, of course, but it doesn't hurt to just attend one such lesson and see what they have to say.

It's been 3 weeks now, and you know that only a month ago, you would've scoffed at the thought of ever using magic. And here you are. Just passed the test to be able to cast those arcane energy missiles. You know... you actually kind of like it. Just didn't know you had it in you.

Sigreid
2019-07-03, 01:51 PM
What is the source of the ability?

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-03, 02:41 PM
You guys are amazing <3

J-H
2019-07-03, 02:41 PM
A crazy wizard cultist (fill in the blank) was arrested a while back. While searching his Robe of Pockets, you stuck your hand into one and found a weird purple gem. Unfortunately, while holding it, some of your blood got on it, and boom, next thing you know, you have a small purple gem embedded in the palm of one hand. It has a faint glow to it, and once a day, you can shoot Magic Missiles from it!

OverLordOcelot
2019-07-03, 02:56 PM
Here are some ideas:

Went into magical training (maybe as an EK, maybe as a full wizard) and washed out, but learned a little.
Accepted training from a shady wizard/arcane trickster/etc as a bribe to look the other way.
Was raised by someone with a magical background who taught him some tricks before he went to the mundane world.
Has a natural sorcery talent but not a full blown sorcerer.
Made a minor pact with some kind of force (like a warlock lite).

Sigreid
2019-07-03, 04:11 PM
Granny was a bit of a swamp witch. The family doesn't like to talk about it.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-03, 06:58 PM
His wife was complaining about rats in the house, you see. And going after them with a sword or a crossbow made a huge ruckus and caused all kinds of collateral damage. The wife was NOT happy about this, and made him sleep in the barn. So he needed a way to kill the rats without making a lot of noise, without breaking the crockery, and it occurred to him... MAGIC! He'd need a simple spell that only hit what he wanted to hit, so he did some checking... and decided to learn Magic Missile. Before long, the rats were all dead or frightened away, his wife was happy, and he got to sleep indoors again. Later, he learned Magic Missile wasn't just for killing rats, but that's another story.

(I know what you're thinking, but his wife is deathly allergic to cats.)

TripleD
2019-07-03, 09:53 PM
You said former guard right?

Your city was doing some MKUltra-level human testing without your consent. Every few days a mysterious man from the council would come to the guard house. He’d wave a few crystals around, ask you to look at some strange runes, and then head out. After a few weeks this stops and, apropos of nothing, you get told by your superiors that you are no longer needed.

The next day you woke up and could cast magic missile.

ImproperJustice
2019-07-03, 09:56 PM
Because every once in a while....just once in a while you need a Robocop accurate type attack to properly defuse a hostage situation:)

ThunderChadsHo
2019-07-04, 03:18 AM
What race is said fighter?

Please tell me you forgot your /s

Angelmaker
2019-07-04, 03:48 AM

Your character was a member of the MIU, a quick response and investigative unit involving magic crimes. As part of the training this unit received, it is mandatory for all members of this unit to study magic.

After all, in a world of magic i really cannot see law enforcement not getting basic magical training.

"How was the bank robbed?"
"We have no clue! Walls are intact!"
"Aha, but the walls are rough and made out of a natural material less than three meters thick. Passwall, boys, I think. We are looking for a spellcaster of 11th level or higher! Time to get our mages in here!"

Huwman
2019-07-04, 05:22 AM
Whilst he was on duty watching the city walls he would lean on his (weapon) and watch the young city wizards practicing their art. Whilst no one was watching he would practice and copy what he saw the wizards doing at the academy, blasting bottles off of the city walls with stylish flair.

Wilko
2019-07-04, 05:37 AM
One night you got amnesia / passing out level drunk they next day you woke up with a tattoo, ever since you have been able to summon magic missiles by touching the tat and concentrating?

GreyBlack
2019-07-04, 06:02 AM
He didn't learn it. He just can do it. Now, he's on a quest to figure out why.

Tawmis
2019-07-04, 01:00 PM

Challenge accepted! Down below... Using info/background provided by your character sheet in the signature of yours, I expanded on it... feel free to use or ignore, I simply enjoyed writing it.
===========================

I had a knack for getting into trouble in my youth. I couldn’t turn down a good – or bad – fight whenever the opportunity presented itself.

But that’s when I was young. I’ve grown up since then. Physically anyway, some might argue that mentally, I’ve still got plenty of room to grow. One of the turning points in my youth was when a few local ruffians were harassing a young boy named Tarnaris. Tarnaris was thin, frail, timid, and jumped at everything. He didn’t have an ounce of desire to fight anything, and turned the cheek at every opportunity – the exact opposite of me.

And perhaps, that whole thing about opposites attract has some validation. I ended up stepping in between Tarnaris and these local ruffians. One of them taunted me then had the nerve to strike me. That was the first and only time he got to do so. One punch to his throat brought him to his knees, and my own knee met with his nose. The others jumped in on the action to try and take me down – but like your standard bully – they were cowards – hyenas, who only benefit in a pact – take down the leader and they’re not sure what to do – making the rest of them easily to beat down.

Tarnaris thanked me – as did his family, who comes from a wealthy background. They told me that my “skills” would be better suited as a part of the City Watch. Me? Working for the law - Despite my rebellious youth?

Well, Tarnaris’ family must have had some true weight in the community. Three days after they had thanked me at their home with an incredible dinner – Captain Cota was knocking on my door, asking if I was interested in being a part of the City Watch. They even sold it to me, that because of my rebellious youth, I knew some of the shadier people, and could help the City Watch crack down on them. When I didn’t seem too interested, he assured me that there would be plenty of fighting. So I agreed.

I was in the City Watch for quite a few years. Some days, Tarnaris would come and hang out with me on the slower days. Tarnaris was studying to become a wizard; it’s what his family pushed him to become because he was smart, had a great memory, and seemed to be a natural and summoning, wielding, and shaping magic. I was, admittedly, amazed at some of the things he was able to do – just by whispering some spidery sounding words, wiggling his fingers, and then – there it was. Three spheres of light just floating around his hand that he could literally control and move.

He tried to convince me that anyone – with enough time and study – could become a wizard. I was not one of those people, I promised him. During one of the archery practices, Tarnaris showed up – he was beaming that day. A wide smile. I had asked what he was so smug about – and then he launched a volley of what I would call “light arrows” at the target. All of them struck the center. I was suitably impressed now. This wasn’t just dancing lights. But a form of an attack spell.

I asked him, did he still believe anyone could be a wizard. He said he thought so. I explained I wanted to learn this new “light arrow” spell – he corrected me, and explained, the correct name is “Magic Missile.” I nodded and said, “Sure. Can you teach me the light arrow spell?”

We laughed, and for weeks – he and I would practice this spell. There were days, where I grew frustrated when it didn’t work when I tried it – but Tarnaris always told me to sooth my mind, and let the magic swim around me – and then to breathe in – and take that magic into my body – and channel it through my fingers.

It took awhile. And may the gods bless Tarnaris for his patience, but it finally happened.

I practiced all the time, after that night – to ensure I could weave and master this spell.

When I showed the others on the City Watch what I had learned, none of them were interested. I could have shown them a mighty dragon, and I don’t think any of them would have flinched. They were a bunch of lazy bums, trying to stay out of the way of the criminal element infecting the city. And Captain Cota was perhaps the worse of them – always turning a blind eye to the situation on the streets. I started to believe that perhaps he was getting paid to look away.

One day, he got a tip – I didn’t learn this, because I wasn’t on shift yet – but he had turned a blind eye and dismissed it as “hear-say.”

Two people died.

One of them was Tarnaris, the other, his mother. Apparently there had been a burglary attempt at their home, and Tarnaris’ father managed to fend them off – but it had already been too late. When I heard the news, I rushed to their house – Tarnaris’ father was beyond devastated. His eyes were vacant as if his soul had departed his body.

I promised him I would find out who did it. I promised him I would get revenge for him.

But this didn’t change how he looked. He knew nothing I could do would bring back his wife and son.

I quit the City Watch that day and never looked back. I decided to open my own force – a group that actually listened to the people and wasn’t afraid of getting their knuckles bruised. I spent most of my savings getting the company started. A warforged for backup and a big sign on the front of the house – if we could save just one person, it would all be worth it. Thankfully my time as a rebellious youth, followed by being the only one on the City Watch who seemed to give a damn back then, gave me a reputation.

First, I will find out who killed Tarnaris and his mother – and I will show no mercy – I will kill them with the very magic Tarnaris had taught me - then I am going to clean up the rest of this city.

Tarnaris, my one and only true friend, may be gone… but his magic is alive in me.

djreynolds
2019-07-04, 01:12 PM
There is a fee to enter the city, the wizard without gold gave you a scroll of magic missile.

He said keep practicing the words, preferably out in the woods, and it might just work for you.

You kept practicing until you finally got it down.

Xellpher
2019-07-04, 04:52 PM
All the city watch are taught it. Similar to a police officer being issued with a gun.

Tvtyrant
2019-07-04, 04:59 PM

Wizard scam. Subscription "learn magic" service which comes with a "random" assortment of level 1 spells, then you have to pay progressively more for second and third level spell instructions. The instructions were simply copied from an old primer, and are riddled with mistakes and misspellings.