PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I’ve been Caught: Help Me Resist Torture etc

blackjack50
2019-07-03, 12:42 PM
During the course of a covert investigation me and a party member managed to walk through the front gate of a bad guy compound totally in plain view and try to lie our way deeper. Cut to me getting bit by a dog and grappled while fellow player was able to escape over a wall. So yea. I’m screwed.

I have a game plan based on the campaign for several things. I’m a 4th level open hand monk (wish I were shadow now lol). So I’m not unarmed. And I have some ideas on escape and fighting back. That isn’t the main issue. I have **** charisma. Deception is out (last resort). So I plan on fessing up to what is going down (in a round about method with true information). But my main concern is Magic. I want to give them just enough information to keep me alive, but not enough so that they kill me or change their plans.

What can I expect from a magical interrogation? What things can I do to resist? There is a slim chance of rescue. But I have to try to hold out. Any help on this would be great.

JackPhoenix
2019-07-03, 01:28 PM
Detect Thoughts and Zone of Truth are the most common ways. You can't really do anything about the first beyond passing the save (and they can just keep casting it until you fail), and while you can stick to truth while revealing the bare minimum or staying silent for the later, no competent interrogator will let that work.

Mercurias
2019-07-03, 01:38 PM
It depends on how the DM rules you should resist the torture.

Some will let you deny giving anything up and let you live with the consequences (e.g., you could either give up what you know or they'll take an eye/break a kneecap). A DM could feasibly allow you to refuse to talk right up until your character is killed.

Other DMs will have to make a Will or Con save to see how the pain or drugs affect you, and have that effect your rolls against spells like Zone of Truth.

Finally, you could try to fake passing out, even with your bad charisma, because what'll they do if they catch you? Tortue you? You're already there! See if you can't fake them out and find an opening to escape.

blackjack50
2019-07-03, 01:38 PM
Detect Thoughts and Zone of Truth are the most common ways. You can't really do anything about the first beyond passing the save (and they can just keep casting it until you fail), and while you can stick to truth while revealing the bare minimum or staying silent for the later, no competent interrogator will let that work.

So basically I’m hosed? I’m gonna really have to escape

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-03, 06:08 PM
So basically I’m hosed? I’m gonna really have to escape

Maybe outside the box but does anyone in your party have Reincarnate?...................

blackjack50
2019-07-04, 11:31 AM
Maybe outside the box but does anyone in your party have Reincarnate?...................

Nope. Not that I’m aware :(

hymer
2019-07-04, 12:53 PM
Being a monk, it makes particular sense if try meditating. Think nothing, say nothing. It defeats the low level detection spells as well as non-magical interrogation.

blackjack50
2019-07-05, 08:24 AM
Being a monk, it makes particular sense if try meditating. Think nothing, say nothing. It defeats the low level detection spells as well as non-magical interrogation.

Oh good idea!!!

blackjack50
2019-07-05, 08:28 AM
It depends on how the DM rules you should resist the torture.

Some will let you deny giving anything up and let you live with the consequences (e.g., you could either give up what you know or they'll take an eye/break a kneecap). A DM could feasibly allow you to refuse to talk right up until your character is killed.

Other DMs will have to make a Will or Con save to see how the pain or drugs affect you, and have that effect your rolls against spells like Zone of Truth.

Finally, you could try to fake passing out, even with your bad charisma, because what'll they do if they catch you? Tortue you? You're already there! See if you can't fake them out and find an opening to escape.

Yes. I actually do have a plan for fake outs. I will be basing my response on some SERE school stuff I’ve listened too from the SAS. I will be playing up injury for any sympathy, making myself non threatening, and then constantly using my good perception to look for escapes. I’ve decided if I’m left with 1 or 2 guards I’m going to try and take them out. I have a good stealth too. So any chance I get will put the odds in my favor (barring bad rolls).

Ps

Just as an aside for a cool video on SAS SERE training:

https://youtu.be/A-crl3_C3Ko