PDA

View Full Version : How to roleplay as a murder suspect?

Praise_Helm
2019-07-03, 01:07 PM
Alright, so my Oath of the Crown Paladin has been framed for the murder of an old sage that his villiage really really liked. His holy flail, passed down by his father, had been found at the sage’s grotto, presumed to be the murder weapon. By his own oath, my paladin must uphold the legal process and prove his innocence. Problem, everyone in the village, including his sister, has turned on him (or my DM is just being a d*ck), despite the evidence only being circumstantial. Nobody’s been complaint with him, so I’m assuming the DC for any persuasion check I roll is very high. I’ve been trying to stay objective and lay out the situation factually, but the villagers are keen on hating him. Is there even a point in me trying to get witness testimonies? I think my character has the highest intelligence score of the group, at a solid 12(+1), so I guess I’ll just keep rolling investigation until I find something.

Studoku
2019-07-09, 02:00 PM
The usual trope here is that you catch the real murderer to prove your innocence. Any luck with that?

Honest Tiefling
2019-07-09, 02:21 PM
If your character encountered a possibly innocent person in a village unwilling to listen to reason, would they have that person submit to the law of the village, even if it meant an unfair trial and given no chance to prove their innocence?

But yeah, echoing what Studoku says, play to your strengths. Bail and find the real murderer. What's more important, your reputation in your home village or finding the person who murdered your beloved sage and might do so again? The first framing attempt didn't stick as well as it should have, perhaps the second one will get the results your enemies want?

denthor
2019-07-09, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a poor situation.

I would just say I am innocent but to save all parties guilty and innocent I will go into exile. Adventure starts.

GrayDeath
2019-07-10, 03:16 PM
Let me recap:

YOu are playing a Crown Paladin. A Champion of Law and Order.
You did not commit the crime, and tell people so. truthfully.
People know at least a bit about Paladins, and more about you in particular.
And yet they do not believe you, on the contrary, they treat you with hate?

There are only 2 possible reasons for that:

1.: The Village is under some kind of spell and this is an adventure hook (good, pursue it, from experience I know these things can be a lot of fun)

or

2.: Your DM is a **** who wants to make the Paladin falll, Muhahahahaharrr!
In which case I would walk.

There is a simple solution: Ask your DM. If he tells you it is 1: Super, keep playing and enjoy.
If he tells you nothing or says something unclear or "Conflict with ones Strictures is blablabla..." it is likely 2, and....well, see above.

Psyren
2019-07-13, 02:11 AM
Stop and ask your DM, point-blank, "My paladin wants to try and prove his innocence. Is there a way he can go about doing that, or are his only choices to either fall or be executed for something he didn't do?" If your GM is evasive, they might be aiming for the latter, so calmly repeat the question to make sure. Make it clear that you're not just going to roll dice aimlessly so they can watch you squirm if there is no way to resolve this situation in-game; you sat down at the table to play a paladin, not a warrior with no class features.

Porcupinata
2019-07-16, 07:04 AM
By his own oath, my paladin must uphold the legal process and prove his innocence.

Only if the law of the land is "guilty until proven innocent". If it's "innocent until proven guilty" then you need prove nothing - they have to prove your guilt.

What you need to do is find out (your character should already know, but you as a player might not) exactly what the law is.

Is the accused allowed a trial?

If so, is it an adversarial system or an inquisitorial one? Or is it some less common kind such as trial by combat or trial by ordeal?

Is it trial by a judge, or a council of elders, or a jury?