PDA

View Full Version : DM Spotlight: Formatting and Question Submission

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-03, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone! Several months ago I posted a thread about a DM Roundtable idea that I had. Out of that came a more refined idea for a sort of DM Spotlight and I want to know what you think about the format I have in mind. Hopefully this will be something that can begin within the next week or so once I start doing interviews (provided some people have time to respond).

So the idea is to do a series of DM Spotlight interviews in separate threads and serialize them in a spoiler at the bottom of the OP with links to each DM. This is less a "tell me why your way is best" kind of thing and more a "tell me about yourself, both vaguely as a person and also as a player/DM." It would incorporate many different open ended questions including some examples below.

I need help with formatting and also want to open up this thread for question submissions. So I'm looking for two things:

1) Do you see any improvements that could be made to the format below (flow of ideas, headings, organization, etc.)?
2) Are there any questions you'd like to see a wide variety of experienced DMs answer that could be informative, entertaining, helpful, or something else along those lines?

The first comment is an example of what the OP for each thread would look like. They would happen maybe once a month or once every two weeks. I have a list of people I'd like to start with, but would also take suggestions of frequent posters/experienced DMs in our community.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-03, 01:17 PM
DM Spotlight #0: Insert DM Name Here (Potentially "X DM Talks About Y" if they had a particular thing they wanted to focus on in their answers).

Personal Blurb Goes Here: This is a section for them to briefly talk about themselves. (about you, your experience with D&D/TTRPGs, play style, country you live in if you want, etc.)

Q&A: Where I list the questions I asked and the answers they typed up. Example questions below, but it would likely be closer to 20 questions covering a wide range of topics so we get a full picture of the DM and their approach to the game. This is the bulk of the post and would read more like an interview in a magazine or newspaper than anything I think.

What do you think players remember most about your games?
Tell me about an experience where you handled a particularly tenst interpersonal situation in a way that helped everyone get along.
Can you tell us a short, funny story from your life?
Is D&D your main hobby? What else do you enjoy doing?
How do you balance the combat and role playing aspects of the game?

Link to DM Spotlight #1: So and So
Link to DM Spotlight #2: Such and Such
Link to DM Spotlight #3: You get the point.

Further questions and clarifications should happen in comments below, though the interviewee wouldn't be obligated to follow up beyond what they have time/desire for.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-03, 01:51 PM
I am pleasantly surprised that this thing didn't go forgotten!

I might recommend putting each question, and their respective answers, in spoilers. It'd help keep things organized.

Like this:

Probably my overuse of the world "tentacle".

DMThac0
2019-07-03, 01:51 PM
Are you a planner or an improv DM? How do you get ready for your sessions?

When you get to be a player, do what type of character do you prefer?

What module, if any, would you consider to be your favorite?

I might recommend putting each question, and their respective answers, in spoilers. It'd help keep things organized.

Like this:

I feel there's a story here :)

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-03, 03:24 PM

Like this:

Good call on that. Especially since some of the answers will likely take a few sentences. I'll definitely test it out before the first post to see which way is more readable/appealing.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-03, 03:28 PM
I feel there's a story here :)

Archdemon from the Abyss that was turned into a plague, with infection causing wounds to grow into tentacles and stuff that were under his control. Resident Evil type stuff. Was a lot of fun, in the "OH DEAR GOD WE JUST INFECTED A CITY" kinda way, not the "OH DEAR GOD WHAT IS HE DOING TO THAT OCTOPUS" kinda way.

DMThac0
2019-07-03, 04:05 PM
Archdemon from the Abyss that was turned into a plague, with infection causing wounds to grow into tentacles and stuff that were under his control. Resident Evil type stuff. Was a lot of fun, in the "OH DEAR GOD WE JUST INFECTED A CITY" kinda way, not the "OH DEAR GOD WHAT IS HE DOING TO THAT OCTOPUS" kinda way.

Forget poisoning a well, let's just turn everyone into very deranged versions of Dr. Octopus...but much less bionic.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-03, 04:52 PM
What direction do you want WotC to go with 5e?

What aspects of 5e do you feel that you need to improve upon in-game to perfect it at your tables?

What do you value in a DM?

What was the biggest DMing lesson you had to learn first hand?

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-04, 11:58 AM
I've added these questions. Thanks for help! Let me know if you think of any others.

LordEntrails
2019-07-04, 12:09 PM
+1 on spoiler tags.

Also;
- Is their anything you bring from other systems and use in 5E?
- How do you feel about houserules or DMG optional rules? Which ones do you use the most often? Are their any common community houserules that you do not use? Why?
- How do you describe your DMing style?
- Is there a mistake you have made in DMing that sticks out? What did you learn from it?
- What sources do you use to help you develop or prepare for your games?

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-07-05, 10:25 AM
+1 on spoiler tags.

Also;
- Is their anything you bring from other systems and use in 5E?
- How do you feel about houserules or DMG optional rules? Which ones do you use the most often? Are their any common community houserules that you do not use? Why?
- How do you describe your DMing style?
- Is there a mistake you have made in DMing that sticks out? What did you learn from it?
- What sources do you use to help you develop or prepare for your games?

Added to the list.