PDA

View Full Version : Throwing magic back

weckar
2019-07-03, 05:15 PM
How, if at all, does Exceptional Deflection interact with Snatch Arrows, if at all? Would I be able to chuck the spell back, somehow?

And, while on the topic, is there any way to get Exceptional Deflection pre-Epic?

Ravens_cry
2019-07-03, 05:30 PM
How, if at all, does Exceptional Deflection interact with Snatch Arrows, if at all? Would I be able to chuck the spell back, somehow?

And, while on the topic, is there any way to get Exceptional Deflection pre-Epic?
It doesn't, I'd say. Exceptional Deflection says "You can deflect any ranged attacks (including spells that require ranged touch attacks) as if they were arrows."
And Snatch Arrows says "Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn) or kept for later use." Italics mine. Arrows are not thrown weapons.

ViperMagnum357
2019-07-03, 05:57 PM
You want the Epic feat Reflect Arrows, on page 66 of the ELH. Anything you can deflect is automatically returned to sender, at your ranged BAB. Snatch Arrows is a trap.

weckar
2019-07-03, 06:00 PM
So you'd want Reflect Arrows AND Exceptional Deflection? Good.

Both Epic feats, though...

I could swear there was a way to get those pre-epic.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-03, 06:17 PM
Are they considered fighter feats? The martial monk ACF can get any three fighter feat without meeting prereqs.

MisterKaws
2019-07-03, 06:26 PM
Windrider Dvati (with template shenanigans to give you CR 3 less than your ECL) can give bonus HD to themselves. Maybe that.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-03, 06:46 PM
Gaining bonus HD somehow? The bard's inspire greatness, regular lycanthropy, or the Complete Divine spell, curse of lycanthropy? They're all temp HD, but the basic rules of HD say that all HD (racial, class, or otherwise) all gain feats, and temp HD are not called out as being different in this regard, so they should function the same. Ability score adjustments, too.

ViperMagnum357
2019-07-03, 06:52 PM
Do not forget Infinite Deflection, on page 61 of the ELH. Together, those 4 feats make you immune to pretty much any ranged attack that uses an attack roll, and can send them all back for free.

weckar
2019-07-03, 10:21 PM
Gaining bonus HD somehow? The bard's inspire greatness, regular lycanthropy, or the Complete Divine spell, curse of lycanthropy? They're all temp HD, but the basic rules of HD say that all HD (racial, class, or otherwise) all gain feats, and temp HD are not called out as being different in this regard, so they should function the same. Ability score adjustments, too.That makes sense to a point. Not sure when you should apply these, though, because when levels happen is extremely nebulous.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-03, 10:25 PM
That makes sense to a point. Not sure when you should apply these, though, because when levels happen is extremely nebulous.A template that grants HD (even if cured or otherwise removed shortly thereafter) immediately grants HD-based feats and skills. Lycanthropy is, again, the most easily found example of this.

Thurbane
2019-07-04, 06:43 PM
Not exactly what the OP is asking, but the Rogue Spell Reflection ACF (CM, p.35) allows you to reflect spells and SLAs back at their caster under the right circumstances.

SirNibbles
2019-07-04, 09:26 PM
Not exactly what the OP is asking, but the Rogue Spell Reflection ACF (CM, p.35) allows you to reflect spells and SLAs back at their caster under the right circumstances.

Monks, Rangers, and Scouts also get that ACF (all trading away Evasion at whatever level they would normally get it).

MisterKaws
2019-07-04, 11:15 PM
Monks, Rangers, and Scouts also get that ACF (all trading away Evasion at whatever level they would normally get it).

Huh? When did Monks get Evasion? I only see Invisible Fist at their second level...